Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Just picked this game up + DLC, go go Humble Bundle, and Holy poo poo

This game hates you and is fun

2nd mission was successful and lost 3, for the next mission, from sending them to pray + whore their way to feeling better
3rd mission was the meteorite which ended in me running away
4th mission I got cocky with a new party and lost 3 to perma death

A+ would explore ruins again. This is all on Normal difficulty as well.

Absolutely love that narration that occurs as you play. I swear that the voice actor has actually read some Lovecraftian stories on youtube previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Absolutely love that narration that occurs as you play. I swear that the voice actor has actually read some Lovecraftian stories on youtube previously.
He has! The narrator is Wayne June and he's great.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I never actually beat this game but I love it. Would like to get through the story before DD2 comes out. Will I get the full story in Radiant Mode or is some of it cut out?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
No, you'll get it all. Radiant is just slightly easier and far less grindy.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
God drat I keep starting new games determined to not gently caress up being an idiot and every time it goes well till I come home drunk and decide to play, then wake up and 4 of my best guys are six feet under

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Death and demise - cause for celebration!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I played a game on the Switch for the first time in like 6 months and holy hell I forgot how bad the interface is with a controller.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Restarting this for the 3rd or 4th time, determined to finally beat it. I finally accepted that I should probably play Radiant mode and also turned off the Crimson Court DLC.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rydiafan posted:

I played a game on the Switch for the first time in like 6 months and holy hell I forgot how bad the interface is with a controller.

It works a bit better if you use the touch screen.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Remember you can enable dlc at any time during a campaign. I recommend week 30~ to turn on the Court, the town events and bloodsuckers can stack in an unpleasant way early on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Popete posted:

I never actually beat this game but I love it. Would like to get through the story before DD2 comes out. Will I get the full story in Radiant Mode or is some of it cut out?

Radiant mode is nice because while it is 'faster' the encounters are the same difficulty. But since you can over level and still run lower dungeons you can definitely face roll missions while not having to juggle your lineup to ensure you have a good group that can actually run the mission.

On harder difficulties you really have to finagle it to have four level 2/4/6s (ideally) to reduce the chance of stress and death.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Radiant mode is nice because while it is 'faster' the encounters are the same difficulty. But since you can over level and still run lower dungeons you can definitely face roll missions while not having to juggle your lineup to ensure you have a good group that can actually run the mission.

On harder difficulties you really have to finagle it to have four level 2/4/6s (ideally) to reduce the chance of stress and death.

Yeah on regular mode I seem to hit a wall where my main guys where too high level to support the fresh blood in easy missions but they weren't quite good enough to consistently beat difficult missions without getting a ton of stress.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The worst situation is where you have a party barely high enough for Veteran/Champion difficulty and haven't updated their equipment yet. I'm pretty sure a lot of bullshit deaths /party wipes are because of this. Level ups improve your resistances too, which becomes exponentially more relevant over time.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Bring a Jester.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

rydiafan posted:

Yea it's really difficult, I feel like it takes ages to learn and even then I'm getting it wrong constantly. Especially after you loot an item and it's still in the loot bag, so I try and move and just scroll right in my bag.
I do it every single time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheNamedSavior posted:

Bring a Jester.

i have been very clear

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
When starting out I should never worry about loosing an adventurer, right? If they die or turn into a gibbering nut job crippled by negative quricks after a dozen or so missions and I did not spend any resource on them, I've come out a head.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

side_burned posted:

When starting out I should never worry about loosing an adventurer, right? If they die or turn into a gibbering nut job crippled by negative quricks after a dozen or so missions and I did not spend any resource on them, I've come out a head.

Pretty much. Some people go a little bit overboard on throwing away rookie heroes; if they survive a mission or two unscathed and have good skills/quirks you might as well start developing them. But if they don't, there's definitely no harm in tossing them.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
this game is good. sorry to everyone who thought this would be an update on DD2

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gone Fashing posted:

this game is good. sorry to everyone who thought this would be an update on DD2

More dust... more ashes... more disappointment. :negative:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

side_burned posted:

Your character is the estate. So long as the estate benefits, you benefit.

I feel like misunderstanding this is the number one cause of ragequits in this game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Man, I beat this game when it was first released it was tense but I didn't really lose anybody. Just one occultist. Now I've jumped back in and people are eating poo poo left and right. I think some of this is because most of the modded classes I added seem quite weak, but I'm also running into a lot more straight up bullshit. Like yesterday I had spiders double crit and kill a full health Flagellant on turn 1 before I could act at all.

What are people's favorite modded classes anyways? Of the ones I've spent some time with I think I like the Cataphract the most. His healing doesn't seem good enough to be a primary healer but it is enough to be really helpful if someone is about to bite it or during the near-end-of-combat song and dance where you try to top everyone off. Definitely more so than the Arbalest or Crusader. And for the majority portion of the fight he's a perfectly serviceable though not particularly impressive offensive character. Fucks up the back line from rank 4 early on then moves up to rank 1 for the remainder.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i'm not a huge fan of the cataphract actually. mostly because his hybrid (heal/damage) move set is pretty simple and doesn't have a lot of cross-interaction. with that said, i think his front line healing is very competitive with the right trinkets and borderline overpowered with the stacking prot buff for his single heal.

there are a lot of great custom classes that have been released over the last year or so that don't have as much profile as they should. mostly because of the lateness of the game's life cycle. one of the general issues with many of them is their tendency towards highly specialized gimmicky due to the primacy of stimulating interest and/or filling unused mechanical niches these days. s-purple's are all visually inventive but all relatively mechanically simple. seo's are all very high quality but all arguably somewhat underpowered because of his more unconventional mechanical balancing between strengths and weaknesses; the seraph and the lamia are especially weak and i always edit some of the seraph's values. the thorn and the beastmaster are i think the most creative custom classes to have been recently released. the thorn is an incredibly cool class with a huge animation set but she can only really occupy position 2 and fight bleed-vulnerable opponents to be fully viable. grove tender and butcher bird are some relatively new and interesting customs from a korean modder that i haven't played around with sufficiently. the monk is an older korean mod and still one of my favorites; very straightforward without being completely simple; quite strong without being too obviously unbalanced.

Zane fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 21, 2019

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I keep wanting to replay and replay this game. How long until DD2?

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
We literally don't know. At all. They've not released a single thing about the game despite announcing it earlier....this year? I wouldn't expect it for years. Looking forward to it...eventually!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i think i read somewhere that they are planning to do the same early access thing they did with the original, so hopefully it's sooner rather than later. although i remember playing it back in 2016 and it's definitely a way better game now. the perils of early access i guess.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I wonder if it's possible to port something like DD to mobile phones. I'll play the sequel regardless, but that seems like the natural progression of things and would open up the market for the game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’ll post my mod list later. Mods is fun! **i wrote / re-edited some of the beast master lore tho so I might be a hair biased. Personally I think lamia is great. Just don’t bother with attacking. She’s a support bot through and through.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Mat Cauthon posted:

I wonder if it's possible to port something like DD to mobile phones. I'll play the sequel regardless, but that seems like the natural progression of things and would open up the market for the game.

doesn't a mobile port already exist? i know for sure you can play it on ipad

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Gone Fashing posted:

doesn't a mobile port already exist? i know for sure you can play it on ipad

Yeah it’s ipad only. There’s a handful of ripoffs that I never got very far in tho.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
oh ok that makes sense, seems like it'd be pretty tough to shrink down the UI to fit on a phone screen

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So I guess the sequel will be about how the Ancestor was a troubled boy, and how his overbearing mother sent him to to spend the winters in their Ancestral Vacation Manor until he got fed up enough to go all Cask of Amontillado on her.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
she kept sending me even though I didn't like skiing, so I did the natural thing - threw a party where me and my friends would murder her and drink her blood. as one does.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
"Mother quaffed all kinds of Merlots, Cognacs, and Daquris. The change in her was appalling and no longer able to stomach it I sent her to the Time Share presentation where her wildness would be welcomed."

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Panfilo posted:

So I guess the sequel will be about how the Ancestor was a troubled boy, and how his overbearing mother sent him to to spend the winters in their Ancestral Vacation Manor until he got fed up enough to go all Cask of Amontillado on her.

the Ancestor, fearing his mother's wrath, took to his room and hid in a toy box, where he discovered a hidden passage to a basement and some caves

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Isn’t this basically Stewie from Family Guy?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wow, only 0.6% of players completed the game on Stygian! Only around 2% finished it on Darkest (medium difficulty).

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

What class mods are actually good? The last time I played this there were hardly any released but now there seems to be a ridiculous amount and I'm not sure what is good. Marvin Seo's mods seem decent, but I have no clue how the rest stack up. Also, are there any good mods that balance the vanilla classes?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Panfilo posted:

Wow, only 0.6% of players completed the game on Stygian! Only around 2% finished it on Darkest (medium difficulty).
As much as I enjoyed Darkest Dungeon, I'm ill-inclined to play it (again) on Stygian. The grind was already getting to me by the end of my first run, making Radiant far more attractive for future playthroughs.

There's a lot to like with the moment-to-moment mechanics and atmosphere and such but there does come a kinda last legs slog where you're just trying to get enough materials to level up the hamlet and enough money to level up your guys and cure your most important party members and it all starts to wear on you. I don't fear the higher damage numbers of Stygian or even the time limit; I fear revisiting all that busywork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Panfilo posted:

I love so much about the game and have put 100+ hours into it and never beaten it because it can be such a loving slog. Part of the problem is I played it way too much in early access when there was no end but every time I start a new game with the intention of finishing it I hit the midway point and lose interest.