Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Would AFT with no CE give you any stealth firing with the concealment mod?

AFT without CE but with the concealment modification would give you a firing detection of 9.8ish with 13.56km range. 6.804 base detection + 3km detection when firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
On the HE, I wonder how much of a difference only 19mm of penetration will make. Isn't that a good bit smaller than most destroyers? I also thought most battleships and some cruisers have deck/superstructure armor that's higher than that, but I'd have to check when I get home.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

dasbrooner posted:

Hey guys, recently got back into this game after being in the closed beta for a while. Can anyone give me a rundown on best in class ships and why? I've heard Russian DDs are where it's at, but is that in the run and gun line? Could use some info on best cruisers, battleships and carriers.

Complicated question. Both American and Russian DDs are very good at the top end, ie Benson, Fletcher, Udaloi, Khabaorvsk, but the American ones are iffy at 6/7, while the Russian ones suck majorly at tier 3/4/5. Japanese DDs are pretty beastly up to 5, but get mediocre and worse as you go up because of torpedo detection range nerfs - but on the other hand, we're about to get a line split and adjustment to the Japanese tree, so that could change.

Every cruiser line has stinkers dotted about, but the American line is considered least desirable because at the top the Baltimore is underwhelming, and the Des Moines gimmick isn't as useful as the Zao, Hindenburg or Moskva gimmicks. Japanese and German cruisers are just good, with the only flatspots the Mogami and Yorck. Russian cruisers are incredibly polarising, and I am amongst those who think they're terrible from tier 2 right on through to tier 7 and probably 8, but the 9 gets good guns and the 10 is basically a russianbias.gif battlecruiser. A new Royal Navy light cruiser line has just hit supertesters, so that could be one to watch.

Battleships are about your playstyle - Question: Do you like to drive straight in and gently caress things sideways from bumper sticker reading range?

a) gently caress yes I do - drive Germans, they have nearly impossible citadels, decent speed, and shitloads of secondaries
b) Yes, but I appreciate some ranged action too - drive Americans, slightly slow, but well balanced, big guns, and can take a hit on the chin, ideally wanting to fight Germans at mid range, and Japanese at short range.
c) That sounds ghastly - drive Japanese, Yamato aside they can't really take a hit, but they're generally fast and shoot very long, and their secondaries are more about emergency cleaning of surprise destroyers.

Carriers are about Saipan.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 12, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

It's not out of the realms of possibility that they just haven't tweaked the consumable loadout yet - if they've simply copied the existing Fubuki entry and overwritten it, the Fubuki doesn't get the defensive fire skill unless you research the gun upgrade as well.

ARRRRRRRRRRGH NTRABBIT

The only DDs with access to Defensive Fire are US DDs T6+ in their final hulls. This includes the Lo Yang, a C Hull Benson-class, and the Sims. No other DD class currently has access to Defensive Fire, no matter how many terrible decisions you make, like using the last hull on the Fubuki/Kagero.

Also I really wouldn't take the Chinese stats seriously. They had some really hosed up stealth values for the Shiratsuyu class the last time I looked, like 5km detection radius hosed up.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 12, 2016

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

dasbrooner posted:

Hey guys, recently got back into this game after being in the closed beta for a while. Can anyone give me a rundown on best in class ships and why? I've heard Russian DDs are where it's at, but is that in the run and gun line? Could use some info on best cruisers, battleships and carriers.

Russian anything
Japanese Anything
German Battleships
American Destroyers

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Des Moines gimmick isn't as useful as the Zao, Hindenburg or Moskva gimmicks.

Seems that since the radar cooldown reduction the Des Moines is kicking rear end again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

ARRRRRRRRRRGH NTRABBIT

The only DDs with access to Defensive Fire are US DDs T6+ in their final hulls. This includes the Lo Yang, a C Hull Benson-class, and the Sims. No other DD class currently has access to Defensive Fire, no matter how many terrible decisions you make, like using the last hull on the Fubuki/Kagero.

Also I really wouldn't take the Chinese stats seriously. They had some really hosed up stealth values for the Shiratsuyu class the last time I looked, like 5km detection radius hosed up.

Seriously? I'm still only at the Hatsuharu, I assumed all the ships that came after it with DP guns, ie everything but the stock gun Fubuki and Kagero with their lovely Type C turret, came with the option. gently caress that then.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 12, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite part of BB Week is when half my team is BBs who sit at max range sniping while the other team caps and wins.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are they bigger? I must have misread. It does have good range once you have the upgraded FCS and the range equipment, but it still faces a lot of stuff you can't do any good damage to. I'd say it's the curse of T5, but the Kongo doesn't seem to have that problem.

I have a New York and had a Konig (just moved on), and I have to agree that something just really feels off about the New York when it comes to performance. I essentially stopped playing it, and have been contemplating selling it since I often feel way to short on credits for the speed at which I am unlocking new ships.

I cannot put my finger on it, I think it might be that the New York's range feels more restrictive because it handles like a lead brick and it's way harder to get good positioning as a result.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do DDs ever start going over ~35? Only being able to go as fast as a CA is kind of lovely. Even a Kongo or Myogi can do 30.

E: yeah, the NY feels like a T95 or Maus in WOT. By the time you get to the fight, it's over and you either do no damage or have to try to fight off the whole enemy team.

I did have one round in my Wyoming where it started 3v7 and I ended up holding about 5 of them off for 4 minutes while our DDs capped out. I also vaporized a Kuma that round who swung broadside to launch torps from max range. Double citadel, and I dodged the torpedoes because he telegraphed it so hard. The games where I feel like a hero almost make up for all of the DD games where I barely break 10k.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 12, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do DDs ever start going over ~35? Only being able to go as fast as a CA is kind of lovely. Even a Kongo or Myogi can do 30.

Russian tier 7+ all do 40+, and Shimakaze does 39; maybe one day we'll get the turbocharged French DDs Fantasque and Mogador, which pushed 45 and 43 respectively

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 12, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ZombieLenin posted:

I have a New York and had a Konig (just moved on), and I have to agree that something just really feels off about the New York when it comes to performance. I essentially stopped playing it, and have been contemplating selling it since I often feel way to short on credits for the speed at which I am unlocking new ships.

I cannot put my finger on it, I think it might be that the New York's range feels more restrictive because it handles like a lead brick and it's way harder to get good positioning as a result.

Yeah, I mean if you aren't enjoying the New York because of it's speed then you should absolutely quit the American BB line. You're going to be slogging around in 21 knot BBs for the next 150-200 games until you get the North Carolina.

That said taking a look at stats I think it took me somewhere in the vicinity of 45 games to get a New Mex. By comparison it took me about 35 to get a Bayern from the Konig. Some of that *may* be the ship being bad. But I also think that I didn't really learn to play BB's properly until I slogged through the New York for a bit.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah, I mean if you aren't enjoying the New York because of it's speed then you should absolutely quit the American BB line. You're going to be slogging around in 21 knot BBs for the next 150-200 games until you get the North Carolina.

That said taking a look at stats I think it took me somewhere in the vicinity of 45 games to get a New Mex. By comparison it took me about 35 to get a Bayern from the Konig. Some of that *may* be the ship being bad. But I also think that I didn't really learn to play BB's properly until I slogged through the New York for a bit.

It's probably just a matter of me having played more games in German BBs than American ones. It's all about learning how to use it to it's strengths for me... and so far I've just been trying to maneuver the thing like it's a German ship.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ice Fist posted:

I chill out and go at 10kts with the colorado half the time until I really need to get around an island or switch flanks but 20kts BBs are perfectly fine.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm on the tier 5 Russian one now and it hits about 37 and boosts up to 40+. I guess it kinda makes up for its 3.5km torps.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Chill la Chill posted:

I chill out and go at 10kts with the colorado half the time until I really need to get around an island or switch flanks but 20kts BBs are perfectly fine.

Oh yeah I agree. I'm just saying that if 20 knots isn't your thing then that tree is going to suck until T8. That was my only point.

I happen to think the American standard BBs are all very solid, including the New York, and their speed is really their only glaring weakness.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: yeah, the NY feels like a T95 or Maus in WOT. By the time you get to the fight, it's over and you either do no damage or have to try to fight off the whole enemy team.

I did have one round in my Wyoming where it started 3v7 and I ended up holding about 5 of them off for 4 minutes while our DDs capped out. I also vaporized a Kuma that round who swung broadside to launch torps from max range. Double citadel, and I dodged the torpedoes because he telegraphed it so hard. The games where I feel like a hero almost make up for all of the DD games where I barely break 10k.

The minekaze does 39, 35 in the turns and 42 boosting and is my favourite ship so far. When you have a good game you can crush a flank on your own even against tier 7 bb's. Just unlocked the mutsuki and it seems like a total piece of poo poo, slow torps that you can't fire concealed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The NY should feel a lot less bad about being slow because it's the first US BB with a plotting room upgrade, which boosts range. Who cares if you're in the fight yet if your shells are.

Also sorry. Current destroyers can hit 40 knots but the Italian cruisers should bring the Giussano class cruisers which should carry 8 6inch guns at 37 knots (42 in trials), with armor proof against rifle caliber MG fire. (24 mm belt, and a very thick in comparison 20mm deck. I haven't been able to tell if they're optimistically labelled structural bulkheads as of yet but I can't rule it out)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ice Fist posted:

Oh yeah I agree. I'm just saying that if 20 knots isn't your thing then that tree is going to suck until T8. That was my only point.

I happen to think the American standard BBs are all very solid, including the New York, and their speed is really their only glaring weakness.

Ah ok. I actually have the opposite complaint and feel the Kongo is just 2fast2furious for my taste and i don't know how you're supposed to play them.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It really depends on the ship. Some of the mid tier IJN DDs can put on the speed, but high tier ones don't. The Shimakaze is a clear exception, of course, being very fast. All T7+ Russian DDs do 42.5 knots top speed, which is loving stupid but :wargaming:. Speed is very much a DD to DD thing, the only consistent example is the Russian DD's rule.

And yes, CAs can go fast too. But they lose a LOT more speed in turns and take significantly longer to gain it back. A DD's job isn't to run down a CA, though, that's fuckin sucide.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 12, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

xthetenth posted:

The NY should feel a lot less bad about being slow because it's the first US BB with a plotting room upgrade, which boosts range. Who cares if you're in the fight yet if your shells are.

Fun fact: The max range on a fully upgraded NY with plotting room is better than the New Mex and Colorado until you get a fully upgraded Colorado with plotting room.

The New Mex is the odd duck out in that its range is worse than the previous ship in the line without using the spotting plane.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The minekaze does 39, 35 in the turns and 42 boosting and is my favourite ship so far. When you have a good game you can crush a flank on your own even against tier 7 bb's. Just unlocked the mutsuki and it seems like a total piece of poo poo, slow torps that you can't fire concealed.

Free XP through the Mutsuki, it is undeniably bad. Hatsuharu is a coin flip a bit but you do get 62kt 10km Type 90 torps, which are slightly better than the Type 8s which go slower than poo poo.

The Fubuki is pretty good at both gun stuff and torpedo stuff because you can choose from 67kt/10km Type 93 torps, or slower 62kt torps that go out to 15km (it's worth taking Torpedo Acceleration to bring them up to 67kt/12km range)

If you want to do stupid torpedo fuckery though, get through the US DD line and get up to the Gearing, 16.5km torps that have a 1km detection range and move at ungodly speed. It's a better Shimakaze than a Shimakaze because people bitched about the Shima's torp wall.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp. I saw a damaged enemy battleship in my crappy destroyer so I launched some torpedoes at it. Naturally a second afterwards I noticed a "friendly" destroyer slowly but surely driving in to prevent those foul things from striking the enemy with his own body. Well, I guess he could have been really focused and not paid any attention. But he got really butthurt about it. Obviously I did apologize since it was technically my fault even though he could easily just have turned slightly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Poil posted:

Welp. I saw a damaged enemy battleship in my crappy destroyer so I launched some torpedoes at it. Naturally a second afterwards I noticed a "friendly" destroyer slowly but surely driving in to prevent those foul things from striking the enemy with his own body. Well, I guess he could have been really focused and not paid any attention. But he got really butthurt about it. Obviously I did apologize since it was technically my fault even though he could easily just have turned slightly.

People don't know how to react to metal fishes, I've seen people turn away from them and speed up when turning in and cutting speed would keep them from getting hit.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Neighbors really is the best map for determining who the morons on your team are.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I love cruisers that get close and go broadside to my insignificant Kiev.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Do shells follow the same trajectory after striking water, or do they slow down immediately and follow a steeper path down?

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
Did they take back the less repair cost at tier 10?

Despite winning the match, getting a kill and doing about 70k damage in my monty before getting gloriously torped by two shimas, with premium, I got stuck with a -170k bill. :/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wonder how fun combat-equipped minelayers would be in WoWS - instead of torpedos, put a string of mines directly in their path - either the floaty fuckers, or at higher tiers, anchored ones that require sonar (or hitting them) to mark hostile ones and need to be laid in a line/pattern through the carrier's interface, preferably while under smoke.

Of course, even if you made them completely visible to friendlies, they'd still find a way to hit them and die.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Iveliosiudicium posted:

Did they take back the less repair cost at tier 10?

Despite winning the match, getting a kill and doing about 70k damage in my monty before getting gloriously torped by two shimas, with premium, I got stuck with a -170k bill. :/
They did. Not that reduced repair cost reduced sniping :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Do shells follow the same trajectory after striking water, or do they slow down immediately and follow a steeper path down?

They should actually slow down and nose up, interestingly enough. That little discovery is part of why US and Japanese WWII BB underwater protection isn't brilliant against torps, since the added stiffness of underwater armor messed with needed flexibility, in a similar way to how the Germans favoring excessively long belts led to the problem where the Bismarck's stern had a sharp demarcation between the flexible end and the stiff belt, which led to it breaking and collapsing on the rudders (this happened to other German wwii ships too). The main important underwater hit from guns was the PoW hitting Bismarck, which contaminated a lot of fuel and meant a high speed run back to port would be a lot harder. I know the Japanese and French had blunt nosed caps under their shells' windscreens that would help achieve that good trajectory for underwater hits, it was a major focus for the Japanese but iirc the only really great hit was the Yamato against the Salt Lake City, and flooding prevented a magazine detonation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xthetenth posted:

They should actually slow down and nose up, interestingly enough.

I should clarify I'm talking about in-game, not real physics. I don't think I've ever seen an underwater hit. I'll aim at or even slightly below the waterline, shells will splash in such a place that if they continued their same trajectory they should hit the ship under the waterline, but nope, nothing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Phanatic posted:

I should clarify I'm talking about in-game, not real physics. I don't think I've ever seen an underwater hit. I'll aim at or even slightly below the waterline, shells will splash in such a place that if they continued their same trajectory they should hit the ship under the waterline, but nope, nothing.

Yeah, I notice the same, and it makes me pissy.

Also I like ranting about boats.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Aesis posted:

They did. Not that reduced repair cost reduced sniping :v:

It was a temp event type thing. That was several months ago too.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Phanatic posted:

I have no clue how the in-game trajectories are modeled in game when the shells hit water, but you definitely can get underwater hits. In early CBT you could actually cause flooding with them, but they removed that part. I actually went and tested in a training room about a month or two back so I'd have proof you can get underwater hits but I think I misplaced the screenshots/video somewhere. :shrug:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So uh, the Farragut with AFT and the range upgrade feels broken. I just got top XP on 50k damage entirely with guns, setting two scharns on fire 5 times and then finishing off an NM. The floaty shells can be walked to the target and it's just...a thing of beauty when you see your damage dealt ticking up again and again.

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

NTRabbit posted:

Complicated question. Both American and Russian DDs are very good at the top end, ie Benson, Fletcher, Udaloi, Khabaorvsk, but the American ones are iffy at 6/7, while the Russian ones suck majorly at tier 3/4/5. Japanese DDs are pretty beastly up to 5, but get mediocre and worse as you go up because of torpedo detection range nerfs - but on the other hand, we're about to get a line split and adjustment to the Japanese tree, so that could change.

Every cruiser line has stinkers dotted about, but the American line is considered least desirable because at the top the Baltimore is underwhelming, and the Des Moines gimmick isn't as useful as the Zao, Hindenburg or Moskva gimmicks. Japanese and German cruisers are just good, with the only flatspots the Mogami and Yorck. Russian cruisers are incredibly polarising, and I am amongst those who think they're terrible from tier 2 right on through to tier 7 and probably 8, but the 9 gets good guns and the 10 is basically a russianbias.gif battlecruiser. A new Royal Navy light cruiser line has just hit supertesters, so that could be one to watch.

Battleships are about your playstyle - Question: Do you like to drive straight in and gently caress things sideways from bumper sticker reading range?

a) gently caress yes I do - drive Germans, they have nearly impossible citadels, decent speed, and shitloads of secondaries
b) Yes, but I appreciate some ranged action too - drive Americans, slightly slow, but well balanced, big guns, and can take a hit on the chin, ideally wanting to fight Germans at mid range, and Japanese at short range.
c) That sounds ghastly - drive Japanese, Yamato aside they can't really take a hit, but they're generally fast and shoot very long, and their secondaries are more about emergency cleaning of surprise destroyers.

Carriers are about Saipan.

Krogort posted:

Russian anything
Japanese Anything
German Battleships
American Destroyers

Thanks guys. That helps quite a bit. I'm definitely into "knife fight" play so I will absolutely drive ze German BB line. The only real problem I've found with driving DD's at the moment is being a field away from the rest of the team while they sit and snipe for half the match. I've gotten into the habit of either teaming up with other DD's, or sitting behind an island looking for targets of opportunity until the rest of the fleet sacks up and moves off the backfield.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I have a 15 point russian cruiser captain now, i want know whats the best fit with regards to tier 3, and 4 skills for them? I think the 5th skill is concealment right?

Edit: Also i seem to have extra anime captains that i cannot dismiss, is there anyway to get rid of them?

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 13, 2016

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Fizzil posted:

I have a 15 point russian cruiser captain now, i want know whats the best fit with regards to tier 3, and 4 skills for them? I think the 5th skill is concealment right?

3 is either vigilance or superintendent depending if you often eat torpedoes or run out of repair/radar (now that it reload quickly )
4 is either demolition expert or advanced fire training depending if you like fire or hate planes

For the spamming ships I think DE is best for the Moskva I think AFT is best as it has good Base range for AA and secondaries and don't rely much in fire to do damages.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So apparently some changes are going through on the PTR.

quote:

This change focuses on high tier battleship's armor, and the balance on the Russian Destroyer, which now has a more shinning performance. In addition, we'll receive a new accessories.

All tier 8 – 10 battleships' bow and stern's armor will be reduced from 32mm to 28mm.

USN: North Carolina, Iowa, Montana
IJN: Amagi, Izumo, Yamato
German: Bismarck, Tirpitz, Frederick, kurfurst Friedrich Wilhelm

6th plugin slot obtain a new parts: Steering Modification type 3

-80% of repair time when steer is unfunctional.
-40% 180°Turning time

Orlan's firing range increase from 8.0km to 8.8km.

Udaloi and Khabarovsk's 130mm B-2-U gun reload time will increase from 4.6 seconds to 5 seconds.

(Rate of fire decreased from 13 r/min to 12 r/min. )

Khabarovsk firing range reduced from 13.0km to 11.2km.

Khabarovsk is getting hit with a nerf. Is that change to bow and stern armor significant enough that they can be overpenned by 16" guns now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I finally caved in and free XP'd the last 80k on the Donskoi to unlock Moskva. The Donskoi isn't a bad ship by any means but it requires a huge amount of discipline and patience to do well in IMO. Its neither stealthy, tanky nor nippy enough to be be a good DD hunter I found despite the radar....the Chappy, NO and Roon are all much better in that regard. It can do well as a firestarter but because of its high visibility compared to a Zao, it requires a lot of care. I just ran out of patience doing this.

Overall I believe I would rate the Russian cruiser line as the worst. I would rate the Germans as best, with USN/IJN a pretty close thing in 2nd/3rd and with Russians definately last.

T5 - Konigsberg > Furutaka > Kirov > Omaha. Konigsberg is absolutely disgusting if it gets some MM luck. I really dislike the Omaha-style cruisers.
T6 - Budyonny > Nurnberg > Cleveland = Aoba. Budyonny the best and its not even close. The other 3 are all very nice though.
T7 - Yorck > Pensa > Myoko > Schchors. Probably a controversial opinion.
T8 - NO > Chapyaev > Hipper > Mogami. 155mm Mogami pre-AFT/BFT nerf would be #1. Its still borderline better than the Hipper IMO, which I really disliked.
T9 - Roon >>>> Ibuki > Donskoi > Baltimore. Roon is closer to a T10 than a T9. I don;t think there's another class/tier where one ship is so far ahead of the rest.
T10 - Too soon to say since I just unlocked Moskva, and didn't bother with a Hindenberg. But I'm pretty sure the Zao is the best, although I generally have more fun in the Des Moines.

Krogort posted:

3 is either vigilance or superintendent depending if you often eat torpedoes or run out of repair/radar (now that it reload quickly )
4 is either demolition expert or advanced fire training depending if you like fire or hate planes

For the spamming ships I think DE is best for the Moskva I think AFT is best as it has good Base range for AA and secondaries and don't rely much in fire to do damages.

For my Russian Cruiser Captain, I went for Vigilance and Demo Expert and would stick with Vigilance. Demo/AFT I could be swayed either way but thinking selfishly, Def Fire is probably enough with the Moskva's base AA to deter one CV strike at least, and T10 CVs are rare. Demo bumps the fire chance up to 20% I think (captain still retraining so not sure), and with 9 shells every 9 secs thats up there with the very best fire starters in the game (to say nothing of being far easier to hit things). Also I found already that the Moskva's HE breaks the loving dreadful trend of T7, T8 & T9 Russian CA HE shells doing zero impact damage.