Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok just put the knife down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Pollyanna posted:

God, this is what I hate the most about fake game designers like modpacks devs. Tedious != difficult and you’re not a 1337 MLG pro gamer for putting more legos together than someone else. Miss me with this elitist nerd bullshit and make something that’s actually fun for once in your loving life.

It sounds to me like he's trying to make it more enjoyable for people like us who don't like the overly complicated poo poo.
But I personally don't mind a 5x5 crafting table if it's done intelligently and sometimes even would rather have it if you don't have to remake things over and over.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I liked the 5x5 table stuff, except for it was super janky with the tools. The tables are supposed to hold 3 different tools but if you populate the recipe through JEI it dumps unused tools in your inventory instead of keeping them in the grid.

I also stopped playing the pack after a short while but I may give it a fresh attempt in a month or two when it's a more final version. There's a lot of good-concept-poor-execution stuff and the quest book is a hot mess right now.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

God, this is what I hate the most about fake game designers like modpacks devs. Tedious != difficult and you’re not a 1337 MLG pro gamer for putting more legos together than someone else. Miss me with this elitist nerd bullshit and make something that’s actually fun for once in your loving life.

i think we're at the point where it would be mentally healthy for you to go take a lap

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Ok seriously I've been wondering, do you even like modded Minecraft at all? It seems like you have yet to find a single mod pack and play style that you like, you don't need to force yourself to play it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I decided to make my first nether portal in this GTNH save. Instead of putting it down near bedrock or in a 'safeish' area, I instead randomly put it on a hillside near my base, stream of consciousness style. Come out the other side, and I'm near the center of an ore chunk, according to the ingame info thing. Dig down, and there's a loving sulfur vein directly under the portal. This is some loving crazy rng.

Pollyanna posted:

Have you ever played GT New Horizons? If not, go get the technic launcher, download it, and play something actually decent.

e. and prepare to sink the next thousand hours of your game time into it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I am trying GTNH again, due to being a sheep and reading this thread. I spawned pretty close to a village and looted a door and all the materials for a bed, a crafting table, an entire set of tinker's construct tables sans tool forge, 30 tin, 4 steel, and parts for a tinker's iron sword + flint pick. I made that bed before I even finished the first quest. Isn't a bed the capstone of the first quest section?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I am trying GTNH again, due to the awesomeness of the modpack and reading this thread. I spawned pretty close to a village and looted a door and all the materials for a bed, a crafting table, an entire set of tinker's construct tables sans tool forge, 30 tin, 4 steel, and parts for a tinker's iron sword + flint pick. I made that bed before I even finished the first quest. Isn't a bed the capstone of the first quest section?

Fixed.

It is, but generally one beelines for a bed way before getting halfway through the first quest section. Your experience sounds on par for what I do.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i, too, am gregging

it's a bit annoying that the tinker's crafting table needs a saw though. i'm also not a big fan of "torches are essential and really hard to make" so i'm just cheating these things in whenever i need them

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I am trying GTNH again, due to being a sheep and reading this thread. I spawned pretty close to a village and looted a door and all the materials for a bed, a crafting table, an entire set of tinker's construct tables sans tool forge, 30 tin, 4 steel, and parts for a tinker's iron sword + flint pick. I made that bed before I even finished the first quest. Isn't a bed the capstone of the first quest section?

Yes, but those first quests aren't much of anything beyond signposting how you'll need poo poo tons of materials and how basically every recipe is changed. Nothing really gates you out of making a bed beyond learning how to craft and use tools, and gathering enough wool and wood.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I do recommend that you add some QoL mods for GTNH. Links are to direct downloads for the relevant files.

Stepup, so you don't need to jump ten thousand times just doing basic exploration. Can be keybound to turn it off when not exploring.
Aromabackup and Aromacore, for auto world backups every 30min (can be configured, and manual backups can be done with /backup). Excellent for saving before iffy situations and if you accidentally explodinate your base. Also mentioned in the tier0 quest line, below better questing checkbox quest.
Cooking for blockheads, so making food is a bit less of a microcrafting hell.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As long as everyone's enjoying the pain that is Gregtech, this might be a good time to suggest Omnifactory again. It's a pretty slow-progress, high resource intensity pack built around GT so if you liked that aspect of GTNH you'll like this, but it doesn't incorporate Thaumcraft and combat rehauls like GTNH does.

Main features include:
*Skips the incredibly boring steam age and offers more reasonable power options (like Thermal Expansion dynamos) to get started, so you don't take forever to get off the ground and mid-lategame solars for reliable passives and separate subsystems.
*Crafting progress system based around "circuits" which come in both tiers (LV, MV, HV, etc) and quality types. Your first chip of any tier will be very expensive, but as you progress within that tier you'll be able to make the higher quality chips much faster and easier. So your first "primitive" T1 circuit to make your first machine will be a hell of a labor but once you've built up a little you can snap your fingers and get a half stack of electric T1 circuits all at once. This process of machines and crafts getting easier and cheaper as you build up continues through the game, which means tedium for common recipes decreases rather than increases -- especially as you build up autocrafting recipes.
*Focus on infrastructure and automation that makes it the first factory-style pack I've ever played that I actually set up a genuine factory style setup in, with 80+ crafting recipes automated already and a ton of processing chains.
*A ton of ore generating options to make up for the amount you'll need to spend, including DML essences converting to metals, a farmable currency system to just buy most common ores, and a pretty cool "microminer" system that sends tiny spaceships into a micro parallel universe to farm resources for you. Also GT style huge ore deposits will keep you set for a long while, and plenty of mining options to clear them out manually or automatically.
*Lost Cities for exploration rewards, access to some rarer materials, chests and spawners, and some big buildings to easily convert into a factory base.
*The entire pack can be played in Peaceful mode if you choose to just focus on infrastructure and base building.
*Pretty interesting chemistry system that starts with things like fuel and plastics and gets into some real heavy compounds later (bring fluid storage).
*Now supports (but needs manual installation of) Refined Storage, in addition to Applied Energistics, if you decide you want more competent fluid handling and autocrafting.

Definitely recommend it as a modern pack for people who lean more towards GTNH, Factorio, Satisfactory style interests in Minecraft. Adventure-focused players will probably be bored to tears though, ditto anyone wanting a light/vanilla modded experience. I'm really not into factory chain modpacks in most cases but this is the one that hooked me the way GTNH did, and I actually got way further up the production line here than in GTNH.

Re: Combat, honestly one of my biggest problems with melee combat in minecraft is that the hitboxes are really, really bad for some monsters.
Zombies, skeletons, creepers seem fine. Spiders have never had an accurate hitbox and 90% of my trouble fighting them is because of swinging and missing because I wasn't aiming low enough or what have you. But ghasts and slimes are probably the worst, by a stretch. Melee vs giant slimes can be terrible.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Ambaire posted:

I decided to make my first nether portal in this GTNH save. Instead of putting it down near bedrock or in a 'safeish' area, I instead randomly put it on a hillside near my base, stream of consciousness style. Come out the other side, and I'm near the center of an ore chunk, according to the ingame info thing. Dig down, and there's a loving sulfur vein directly under the portal. This is some loving crazy rng.

Have you ever played GT New Horizons? If not, go get the technic launcher, download it, and play something actually decent.

e. and prepare to sink the next thousand hours of your game time into it.

I think this meant to say Blightfall. Go do blightfall. It's the best modded minecraft experience out there.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i, too, am gregging

it's a bit annoying that the tinker's crafting table needs a saw though. i'm also not a big fan of "torches are essential and really hard to make" so i'm just cheating these things in whenever i need them

I mostly like the way gtnh makes you work for what would normally be easy, but i agree regarding torches. the first few nights before getting a bed made are suuuper boring because its impossible to light up enough area to have a safe spot to craft.

Bann posted:

I think this meant to say Blightfall. Go do blightfall. It's the best modded minecraft experience out there.

Honestly in terms of sheer depth, and the time put in to polishing the huge quest book, and the continued improvements to player experience, I'd say it really does rival blightfall at this point. It's a very different experience, sure, but what it does is extremely impressive.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how Blightfall's world was created, anyway. It has a bunch of weird-rear end custom biomes everywhere and seems to been generated with the taint already in place considering how much sand and gravel it's holding up that falls when you start clearing it.

For my pack I am just generating worlds until I find one I like, then use chunk pregen to generate a large area for me to populate with stuff, which I'm then including as a Lockdown template.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

I wonder how Blightfall's world was created, anyway. It has a bunch of weird-rear end custom biomes everywhere and seems to been generated with the taint already in place considering how much sand and gravel it's holding up that falls when you start clearing it.

For my pack I am just generating worlds until I find one I like, then use chunk pregen to generate a large area for me to populate with stuff, which I'm then including as a Lockdown template.

The version of Thaumcraft in Blightfall has a creative-only item that taints the entire world. AFAIK the biomes aren't custom though?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

The version of Thaumcraft in Blightfall has a creative-only item that taints the entire world. AFAIK the biomes aren't custom though?

The biomes themselves are not, but many of the biome structures (EG: trees) are custom built and placed.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
I remember some version of Blightfall, the one I played obviously, had a mysterious red and white striped obelisk randomly in the desert. I couldn’t figure out what it was, since it didn’t show up in WAILA, and was sure it indicated some cool secret.

it was the point marker for a bibliocraft measuring tape, presumably one of the map designers had used it and had left in place.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The landmasses all seem be made up of biomes with names like TAOceanInBorder, MSFloatingCityBorder, MSFloatingCityBorder2, MSFloatingCity, MSFloatingCityBorder3 and MSFloatingCityCentre, etc. These are used for all of the floating islands, btw. It's very much like the world was 'painted' by biomes outside of the game and then those set biomes generated what they were supposed to once the game loaded. Or maybe they were generated outside of the game, too. And then the extra stuff was placed on top.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

The landmasses all seem be made up of biomes with names like TAOceanInBorder, MSFloatingCityBorder, MSFloatingCityBorder2, MSFloatingCity, MSFloatingCityBorder3 and MSFloatingCityCentre, etc. These are used for all of the floating islands, btw. It's very much like the world was 'painted' by biomes outside of the game and then those set biomes generated what they were supposed to once the game loaded. Or maybe they were generated outside of the game, too. And then the extra stuff was placed on top.

Oh hmm. Those are custom yeah, but I think they're mostly just for tracking the endgame cleansing of taint. Custom maps like these are generally made by generating some landmass of the shape you want then digging in there with creative mode. There's a thing in Botania that lets you raise up islands into the sky, that might've been used some for the floating islands.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 11, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

think i remember why i had a break from MC.

Creeper blew up part of my wall/ mass chest storage.
Items everywhere

and the game crashes

And crashes on reload....

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

speaking of new horizons, i've just got to tier 1, have just loaded up and my questbook has become flooded with New Quests with nether star icons and no descriptions. i now have access to everything down to the Fusion quests

i assume the questbook's hosed up somehow. is there a command i can stick into the command line to reset it?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Meskhenet posted:

think i remember why i had a break from MC.

Creeper blew up part of my wall/ mass chest storage.
Items everywhere

and the game crashes

And crashes on reload....

/gamerule MobGriefing false

tbh if you don't do that, you're just setting yourself up for painful explosions. it's called mob griefing for a reason.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Claiming chunks with FTB Utilities normally disables mob griefing in those chunks.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Double Punctuation posted:

Claiming chunks with FTB Utilities normally disables mob griefing in those chunks.

It's a setting that can be turned on or off for each 'team', it may not be on by default.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

speaking of new horizons, i've just got to tier 1, have just loaded up and my questbook has become flooded with New Quests with nether star icons and no descriptions. i now have access to everything down to the Fusion quests

i assume the questbook's hosed up somehow. is there a command i can stick into the command line to reset it?

You can try bq_admin default load, but I have had this problem several times and the main recourse is to delete your quest progress and then recomplete everything with bq_admin complete (quest #) (username). You can see all the quest numbers by holding shift over the quest.

It very much sucks when it happens.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Direwolf20 Played Omnifactory and I would describe the experience loosely as "Machine component pass-the-parcel in a brown room". It frankly doesent matter if you skip the "boring steam stage" because everything that comes after that was just iterations of the exact same thing over and over again, grinding for parts to build the next tier of machines to grind for more parts for the next tier again with no end in sight. It was so boring for his viewers he had to stop and play a different mod. On the other hand he said he was enjoying himself even if nobody else was.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You can try bq_admin default load, but I have had this problem several times and the main recourse is to delete your quest progress and then recomplete everything with bq_admin complete (quest #) (username). You can see all the quest numbers by holding shift over the quest.

It very much sucks when it happens.

testicles.

i will try the first command and then possibly just live with it, i guess. i can still complete quests and there's nothing complete that shouldn't be; it just looks stupid.

could i ask how to delete quest progress, if i decide i can't live with this?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tombot posted:

Direwolf20 Played Omnifactory and I would describe the experience loosely as "Machine component pass-the-parcel in a brown room". It frankly doesent matter if you skip the "boring steam stage" because everything that comes after that was just iterations of the exact same thing over and over again, grinding for parts to build the next tier of machines to grind for more parts for the next tier again with no end in sight. It was so boring for his viewers he had to stop and play a different mod. On the other hand he said he was enjoying himself even if nobody else was.
I mean yeah, it wasn't visually entertaining, but I've played GTNH too and was one of the first posters pitching it to the thread back in the days of "holy poo poo look at this smeltery recipe" and I personally feel it plays very similarly in a lot of respects, just with much better automation.
DW's playthrough was frustrating enough to watch I stopped partway through because he kept ignoring automation opportunities and spent way too much time on microcrafting (plus wasting resources by not teching up to the next level of recipes) but I will agree that the pack in general is probably very boring to watch, because like I said it's mostly automation, factory building, and processing chains. If that's the kind of experience you enjoy then I would recommend it, and if you don't then I wouldn't.

It's a pack largely designed so that, other than for non-automated mining and a few other notable points, you spend the vast majority of your time in your base, building it up. And that's either something you'd enjoy or it's not. With the focus GT has on crafting and machinery I figure this is an extension much more likely to appeal than it would if I were pitching it to people playing, say, Hexxit.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
In GTNH, certain recipe yields will vary widely depending on inputs, especially once you get to the assemblers and circuit assemblers. This is earliest visible with the ladder recipe, wood vs iron vs steel screws, and the rainwater tank. Just off the top of my head, the basic circuit board yields from 1 to 5 depending on the binder material used. Progression is rewarded, it's not just a 'grind' for higher tier stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambaire posted:

In GTNH, certain recipe yields will vary widely depending on inputs, especially once you get to the assemblers and circuit assemblers. This is earliest visible with the ladder recipe, wood vs iron vs steel screws, and the rainwater tank. Just off the top of my head, the basic circuit board yields from 1 to 5 depending on the binder material used. Progression is rewarded, it's not just a 'grind' for higher tier stuff.
Yes, and like I said, Omnifactory has similar mechanics. The first circuit you make for tier 1 is expensive and arduous, and the final circuit you make for tier 1 is much cheaper and produces 4x as much per craft. Early circuits of higher tiers require circuits of previous tiers (of any quality) as components, but higher quality of the same tier can be made directly from raw components and at a bonus. Admittedly these do apply more to GT recipes than vanilla ones, primarily because Omnifactory doesn't boost the initial cost of things like doors and ladders, but you can still get discounts on slightly more complex crafts like hoppers and buckets as you progress.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ambaire posted:

/gamerule MobGriefing false

tbh if you don't do that, you're just setting yourself up for painful explosions. it's called mob griefing for a reason.

no gamerule MobGriefing avalible ....

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Eh? It's a vanilla minecraft command and should always work unless you turned off commands when you made the world. And if you did that you can still pop open the save and change it to allow them by using nbtexplorer.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

no gamerule MobGriefing avalible ....

Start typing "/gamerule mob" or Mob then hit tab, and it'll autocomplete. It might be case sensitive to mobgriefing?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Oh. Yeah, it has to be typed exactly as: /gamerule mobGriefing false
Otherwise it won't work

Also you can slap this mod into your game for more granular rules and only turn off creeper griefing if you want.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 12, 2019

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I want someone to remake the old Bukkit plugin CreeperHeal, where Creeper (and optionally TNT) explosions would go off but the blocks would come back after 60 seconds. It made for some really fun times when a creeper would explode a hole in your wall or a crater around you that you had to fight around, but didn't require you to keep remaking your chests and poo poo.

I don't know how feasible it would be with power and pipe systems, but I can still dream.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm really enjoying RW a bunch, but one thing that constantly bothers me, what the gently caress are those three slots at the top of a workshop for?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Oh. Yeah, it has to be typed exactly as: /gamerule mobGriefing false
Otherwise it won't work

Also you can slap this mod into your game for more granular rules and only turn off creeper griefing if you want.

ohh i did capital m. ill try it normal.

I managed to load my game, but everything on the floor was gone.

lol. drat gravity creeper

Edit - im in 0.5, there is a quest that needs 2 redstone. Now im finding gregtech redstone, but i cant smelt that for redstone.....

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 12, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

ohh i did capital m. ill try it normal.

I managed to load my game, but everything on the floor was gone.

lol. drat gravity creeper

Edit - im in 0.5, there is a quest that needs 2 redstone. Now im finding gregtech redstone, but i cant smelt that for redstone.....

Break the ore with a gregtech hammer. Crush the ore with said hammer in a crafting table. Toss the impure dust in a filled cauldron to clean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

And if this is your first time messing with GT ore mechanics, you can toss whole stacks in the cauldron to clean them at once. each stack only consumes one use of the cauldron water, unlike how the thaumcraft cauldron works.