Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

UnfurledSails posted:

Sometimes some choices (or lack thereof) in the game you have to make feel very out of character for Geralt. Obviously there is some leeway as to what he might or might not do in certain situations and that's the fun of it, but there are times it goes too far I think. Like I can rationalize his going for Triss instead of his apparent One True Love, but for example in the Nithing quest you can just have the herbalist die a (implied) painful death just because she initially refuses to lift the curse on the son of his ex. You go and ask her to lift the curse, she essentially tells you no, and instead of threatening to reverse the curse on her or trying any other method Geralt just shrugs. Then the choice is either a) Keep the curse and let the kid die of fever, or b) Reverse the curse and have her die. Sure she's a lovely person but drat, at least try some other way first. Let her know she will die if she refuses. Try to bribe/Axii her. Tell the other villagers of her crime so that she can face some consequences. Kidnap her and force her to reverse it at sword-point, then cut off her hands or something. Ask for more money from the kid's Father if you think the coin's not worth the effort.

I chose to reverse the curse, because the alternative is having an innocent kid die, and Geralt says something along the lines of "May she have a painless death." Right. If she is so irredeemable a monster she has to die, at least give me the option to do it myself to ensure the relative painlessness of her end.

Nithing Isn't there another ending for that quest? I swear you could get her to lift the curse if you convince him to go back to her, and everyone lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

UnfurledSails posted:

Sometimes some choices (or lack thereof) in the game you have to make feel very out of character for Geralt. Obviously there is some leeway as to what he might or might not do in certain situations and that's the fun of it, but there are times it goes too far I think. Like I can rationalize his going for Triss instead of his apparent One True Love, but for example in the Nithing quest you can just have the herbalist die a (implied) painful death just because she initially refuses to lift the curse on the son of his ex. You go and ask her to lift the curse, she essentially tells you no, and instead of threatening to reverse the curse on her or trying any other method Geralt just shrugs. Then the choice is either a) Keep the curse and let the kid die of fever, or b) Reverse the curse and have her die. Sure she's a lovely person but drat, at least try some other way first. Let her know she will die if she refuses. Try to bribe/Axii her. Tell the other villagers of her crime so that she can face some consequences. Kidnap her and force her to reverse it at sword-point, then cut off her hands or something. Ask for more money from the kid's Father if you think the coin's not worth the effort.

I chose to reverse the curse, because the alternative is having an innocent kid die, and Geralt says something along the lines of "May she have a painless death." Right. If she is so irredeemable a monster she has to die, at least give me the option to do it myself to ensure the relative painlessness of her end.

Nithing I see it more as poetic justice - she put a curse to kill on one person, so it's fitting that she gets killed by the very same curse turned back on her. Also slicing down unarmed people is bad PR for witchers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Keira is cool. And yes, she can still come.

Lambert, Lambert, what a prick

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

ymgve posted:

Nithing I see it more as poetic justice - she put a curse to kill on one person, so it's fitting that she gets killed by the very same curse turned back on her. Also slicing down unarmed people is bad PR for witchers.

I agree, but I was under the impression that poetic justice is something that doesn't really exist in the Witcher universe so I dismissed that option.

I also don't think Witchers, especially Geralt, care for PR. He might actually be losing jobs because he is so picky about who or what to slice down.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Swedish Horror posted:

Nithing Isn't there another ending for that quest? I swear you could get her to lift the curse if you convince him to go back to her, and everyone lives.
Yes, you can do this, it's the non-violent solution.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you do that his wife and child are disgraced and live in poverty and misery, perhaps dying next winter for all you know.

I'd just kill the would be child-murdering rapist, honestly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

As far as I know everybody in the Witcher universe may die next week. Also Skellige women are pretty good at taking care of themselves.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Skellige is the best place to take baths.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

As far as I know everybody in the Witcher universe may die next week. Also Skellige women are pretty good at taking care of themselves.

Skellige's not a place you can survive easily with a small child as an ostracized outcast.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Are most people here playing on Death March btw?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nope, just playing for the story.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Story ( i think or the one above it don't know) because harder difficulties rarely means much besides health sponges that hit like tanks, and while the battle system is serviceable its not great.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 10, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I started on Story and Sword to ease myself into it, and then I moved it up to Blood and Broken Bones when it started getting too easy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

starry skies above posted:

Blood and Broken Bones I think is the best difficulty for a starting game, Death March for New Game +.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Having played both Deathmarch and Blood & Broken Bones it really does feel like the only difference is how many cycles of the exact same combat it takes to defeat an enemy. That being said I do think combat is too easy in general but that is just because many enemies dont really have any kind of uniqueness to them. After the 150th pack of Nekkers or Drowners or Wolves or Wild Hunt Ice Wolves or Ghouls or one of the other dozen generic "Rawr I am a monster and I jump at you with claws" enemies it gets a bit old

Combat with Humans, contract monsters, other unique bosses, and other semi-rare wild encounters are top notch though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Popping back in for some New Game+, is there some kinda mod or something i can do to add all the Gwent cards back? I want my 100% collection back and not have to beat every shopkeeper i see.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Mostly death march but I'm doing blood and broken bones until my scaling mod is updated.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

The massive patch didn't fix skellige's most wanted on ps4. Is there some weird work around to get past the werewolf or is he just going to scream forever?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I have a weird problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I have all the wolven, griffin, and feline gear recipes *except* the superior recipes, which I have no quest for. Does anyone know how I get the quests for the superior recipes for these sets? Kind of cramping my style since I can't upgrade my items. Google hasn't helped at all either.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Vasler posted:

I have a weird problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I have all the wolven, griffin, and feline gear recipes *except* the superior recipes, which I have no quest for. Does anyone know how I get the quests for the superior recipes for these sets? Kind of cramping my style since I can't upgrade my items. Google hasn't helped at all either.

There are 2 ways to start the quests for the witcher gear sets.
First way is to just randomly find a diagram in a set during gameplay when you notice the chest and loot it.
The other way is to buy a map from a blacksmith or armourer which will then give you the quest when you read it.
This page here has locations for the vendors and that site also has guides for the actual diagram locations of all the sets too.
Should be easy enough to chase down the superior sets.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Helith posted:

There are 2 ways to start the quests for the witcher gear sets.
First way is to just randomly find a diagram in a set during gameplay when you notice the chest and loot it.
The other way is to buy a map from a blacksmith or armourer which will then give you the quest when you read it.
This page here has locations for the vendors and that site also has guides for the actual diagram locations of all the sets too.
Should be easy enough to chase down the superior sets.

Thank you for that link, it helped a ton. Turns out I missed talking to the armourer in Kaer Trolde but I bought the ones from the blacksmith there. Whoops.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I had to delete and reinstall the entire game on PC so the patch would apply :s

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Higher difficulty is for games where I want the combat to drag out (Ninja Gaiden, Dragons Dogma). in this game I grinded to become OP so I could explore and what not in peace. same thing I do in fallout games.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The patch breaks some DLC in new game+.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

GreenNight posted:

The patch breaks some DLC in new game+.

They released a hot fix for that on Steam and GOG.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Helith posted:

They released a hot fix for that on Steam and GOG.

Oh no poo poo? Excellent.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Did they actually call back in voice actors just to record a few new lines each? Seems wasteful.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Everyone is talking about the romances in this game, but I just did the mission sequence with the witch Keira in Velen. When will Geralt make sex with her

Hahahaha!

Soon after sexing her, I killed her! :wiggle:

Very powerful gaming moment though.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just picked this up, and is there anything that can be done to kill the momentum in the movement and camera controls? It feels really awful- I'm having a really severe problem just looking at or using anything on purpose.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

I just picked this up, and is there anything that can be done to kill the momentum in the movement and camera controls? It feels really awful- I'm having a really severe problem just looking at or using anything on purpose.

Give the 'alternate movement' option a try. Its not enabled by default and makes the controls a bit less tanky

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dud root posted:

Give the 'alternate movement' option a try. Its not enabled by default and makes the controls a bit less tanky

Ooh thanks for that, that helped enormously. I think I'm going to have to mouse & KB this guy-movement feels way better with the alternate scheme, but the only way I can get the analogue stick look controls to feel natural is to unplug the controller and use a mouse with hardware input on :)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Sharmat posted:

Did they actually call back in voice actors just to record a few new lines each? Seems wasteful.

Usually the scripts for DLCs and expansions are done at the same time as the main game's so that the VAs can record all their lines in one go. Or are they introducing altered VA in the patch for the base game?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Antti posted:

Usually the scripts for DLCs and expansions are done at the same time as the main game's so that the VAs can record all their lines in one go. Or are they introducing altered VA in the patch for the base game?

There's some new lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJA2941f_SY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0vrmnSPVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fzfqMHnAao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eshs8KQLrR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdFf8sST50E

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aww, Geralt's cute :shobon:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Antti posted:

That may be how other companies do it, but we didn't make out DLC in advance of release. Yes, we call back the actors to do new lines. It's actually not that difficult, most of them all live in London.

EDIT: Some of these may be lines we recorded and didn't get in for one reason or another.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ah, so restored unfinished content?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

The Sharmat posted:

Ah, so restored unfinished content?

Maybe? I don't know anything about these lines specifically and I've not heard anything about restored content, but it's possible. More I was responding to the above poster who assumed the DLCs had already been recorded.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

So the 1.10 patch installed last night, and when I loaded up the game, it automatically failed the mission Novigrad: Closed City II. I am 100% sure I did this quest and that it was in the Completed section.

I also read about other people having quests auto-fail with the new patch.

Is there a way to delete this patch only? I had a perfect game until it auto-failed.

Also, I get a pop up saying there is a new mission available called Mysterious Passenger, but doesn't do anything when I say to track it, and I can't find it in thr quest list.

Edit: I should note that I am on the quest Isle of Mists, and have done literally everything else so far. I cannot stand this failed mission. :(

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 11, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I haven't played in forever and a day; do the old style quickbms mods still work or has 1.10 broke them entirely?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is there a way to delete this patch only? I had a perfect game until it auto-failed.

If you are running through Galaxy go into the game configuration and select Manual; that'll give you the option to rollback to 1.084

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Whatever you do, backup your old savegames.
I knew I should have waited a year before buying this (on Steam)