Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Angrymantium posted:

6.84 was the point of quitting for me, and then I got back into it the game after most of the problems with that were resolved. But it's certainly not the same as when a player with good micro or just being plain smarter than their opponents could win games by themseves.

For the record I agree with most of your complaints, it's just like, this is clearly the way the game has bee heading for a while now, I don't really know what you expect from a patch whe every previous patch has contributed to dumbing the game down

DotA is loving hard. My housemate just started playing 6-8 months ago and just 2-3 months he started to branch out and became okay with more than 1 hero. He is solo 1.8k and even with my help and suggestions on builds he is still struggling to understand the exceptions and other ~dota~ things. There is just a lot of information to take in. Maybe dumbing down the game slightly is a good idea. It's not like dota is a combat flight simulator where I can see why there are purists that want to keep the game hard (realistic). It's a MOBA and making the game a bit easier to digest is not the worst thing.

Keep in mind that some of the mechanics we have in place are old carry overs from WC3.

e:
Also I have huge faith in Icefrog, the guy has really lead the game to greatness from when Blizzard ignored the gently caress out of it in WC3 (gently caress blizzard). Icefrog knows best in my book.

2nd edit:
Keep in mind also that we are getting older. I play still pretty regularly but I have a lot of friends that played dota 1 with me and they are finding less and less time to play. For the game to survive it will need to make sure it can continually attract people.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Pandering to casuals who were bad at wc3 is literally the reason dota exists.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

more like dICK posted:

Pandering to casuals who were bad at wc3 is literally the reason dota exists.

Same but Brood Wars and Warcraft 3.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I don't know if I'll like Dota2 come tomorrow but I'm excited to find out

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Enigma89 posted:

DotA is loving hard. My housemate just started playing 6-8 months ago and just 2-3 months he started to branch out and became okay with more than 1 hero. He is solo 1.8k and even with my help and suggestions on builds he is still struggling to understand the exceptions and other ~dota~ things. There is just a lot of information to take in. Maybe dumbing down the game slightly is a good idea. It's not like dota is a combat flight simulator where I can see why there are purists that want to keep the game hard (realistic). It's a MOBA and making the game a bit easier to digest is not the worst thing.

Keep in mind that some of the mechanics we have in place are old carry overs from WC3.

e:
Also I have huge faith in Icefrog, the guy has really lead the game to greatness from when Blizzard ignored the gently caress out of it in WC3 (gently caress blizzard). Icefrog knows best in my book.

I mean I you want to remove all the weird UAM interactions that are arbitrary and counterintuitive, fine, I don't think many people are going to stop you. But like JPJ said earlier if you get a lead in the early game and your team doesn't capitalize on that, you playing well essentially hosed over your team. The game hasn't just been made simpler, it's been made to reward coordination over individual play, which makes pubs less interesting and rewards teams like TI5 CDEC and TI6 MVP that get good at one overaggressive playstyle, because for the most part no one but the absolute best teams can punish that..

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Rofl they added the hots talent tree

actually now im scared because the last moba they overtly cribbed from got shut down

E: nice, wells too

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 12, 2016

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
maybe im just missing it but , is it literally impossible to see a heros attack speed , or even green and white damage on heros other than your own?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In regards to the talents stuff I actually like it as a replacement for the most boring part of leveling, which was putting points into stats. Whether it ends up working out at least it's more decisions about how your hero will play instead of just 2 strength, 2 int, 2 agility.

I also think that whilst the loss of individual power play is unfortunate it was necessary for the game to feel good at more levels of play to well play. Taking things from League and HotS isn't necessarily a bad thing, so long as the stuff you copy backwards is redone to fit DotA and so far everything taken has been matched up pretty well. Cooldown Reduction on an item, spell damage lifesteal and spell damage increases have all made it more viable to take spellcasters into the late game and still do damage with them, whilst not stopping bkb from allowing true carries to remain in the game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I don't actually mind more incestual design elements, I just find some amusement that it's gaining wells and jungle buffs and talent trees when that kind of stuff was crowed about a shitload as a reason dota was superior in open beta/launch

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also I like the idea but unless you get EXP and an insane rate now some of these talents sound pretty useless (at level 25 Bounty Hunter can pick from 5 seconds off Jinada or.....20% evasion), and while they're being used to also enact balance changes that also means the talents vary hilariously, with some 25's being really good/game changing, while others are incredibly meh stat buffs.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
7.00 should let everyone reset their mmr

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neurolimal posted:

I don't actually mind more incestual design elements, I just find some amusement that it's gaining wells and jungle buffs and talent trees when that kind of stuff was crowed about a shitload as a reason dota was superior in open beta/launch

The talent trees are per-game, though. Not like LoL's, which are something you decide on before you start and mean stuff outside of the current game can effect it. These are still reactive and give you freedom to build differently depending on circumstances. My only real problem with them at the moment (having not played any games yet) is that I wish there was a bit more variance in some of them. Three choices instead of two. A lot of them just seem to be 'i'm carrying' / 'I'm supporting' 'we're winning this game and I can snowball' versus 'We're getting our poo poo pushed in and I need free gold.'The fact that some people have amazing ones at 25 and some are meh just means heroes have different power curves, which has always been the case and is now even easier to tweak.

I'm waiting to see how the shrines shake out in practice, but on paper it makes it look like 'keep pushing' is a more difficult decision and it'll slow the game down a bit since you'll want to circle back to kill the shrines.

What jungle buffs?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 12, 2016

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The way the game is balanced right now I literally can't carry a team of 2ks against a team of 3ks who butt-plug 5 man all game if I have 1 or 2 of them refusing to play as a team. It used to be that good players could carry pretty much anything up to an even matched, but that's gone now. That's the annoying part.

Again for you people who all only 5 man queue that must be awesome, but there's insufferables like me out there that this destroys. Plus anyone who wants Solo MMR.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Kinda shocked at the lack of Radiance and illusion nerfs but I'll wait to see how the pro meta establishes over the coming weeks.

That being said, MK with a Radiance is apparently a thing and the only real counter is to raze your half of the map.

Xtansic needs to make a new thread.

I'd gladly make the Kiev or TI7 thread but gently caress making a real dotes thread

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

7.00 should let everyone reset their mmr

Donate hats to increase MMR

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
who loving approved a ui change that removes the ability to see enemy attack speed and damage reduction entirely?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

I feel like the update has frame rate issues. Not many but enough to be noticeable.

just an anecdote but it's fine for me. If you're playing solo bot games it will be slower those because those are hosted locally, so more strain on your machine.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NmareBfly posted:

The talent trees are per-game, though. Not like LoL's, which are something you decide on before you start and mean stuff outside of the current game can effect it. These are still reactive and give you freedom to build differently depending on circumstances. My only real problem with them at the moment (having not played any games yet) is that I wish there was a bit more variance in some of them. Three choices instead of two. A lot of them just seem to be 'i'm carrying' / 'I'm supporting' or 'we're winning this game and I can snowball' or 'We're getting our poo poo pushed in and I need free gold.'The fact that some people have amazing ones at 25 and some are meh just means heroes have different power curves, which has always been the case and is now even easier to tweak.

I'm waiting to see how the shrines shake out in practice, but on paper it makes it look like 'keep pushing' is a more difficult decision and it'll slow the game down a bit since you'll want to circle back to kill the shrines.

What jungle buffs?

The shrines are tanky as gently caress and invulnerable unless all the T2s are down, when in most games teams only bother with 2 of them and leave the hard to get to one alone unless they pushed it really early. It's a free fountain heal every 5 minutes though, which can be cool, but can also be easily abused by idiots. They basically give teams that are behind another way to claw back into the game. They don't give vision though, so it's not a sure-thing.

The jungle has more camps and such, but spawn less often. It's kinda buffed in the sense that you get more gold with less movement and then can spend time doing other things, which is all good and all. It kinda forces everyone who jungles to play more of a roaming kind of role, which was the right way to play it anyway, but I guess your lower skills will be less likely to afk there. Plus pulling is kind of not a thing anymore. Suppose it's an alche nerf of sorts, so good.

I mean, a lot of the changes were good and make sense and all, but there's some core elements that are where I have issues with.

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 12, 2016

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

violent sex idiot posted:

who loving approved a ui change that removes the ability to see enemy attack speed and damage reduction entirely?

don't worry, the death graphic covers the shop, and all of it covers the kill menu, cause communicating while dead about what the hell happened or playing with the shop when dead wasn't ever a thing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

What jungle buffs?

New ancient creep, gives stacking 10% lifesteal.

Holy poo poo. Riki and Slark scepter buffs sound dope as gently caress. I already love those heroes too, woo!

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 12, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

New ancient creep, gives stacking 10% lifesteal.

Ah. You mentioned them in the same breath as things that theoretically make Dota superior to other Mobas so I thought you were referring to actual buffs gained by killing things in the jungle, not a new spell from a single creep that certain heroes can take advantage of. That's more a buff to Doom / Enchantress / Chen than a 'jungle buff.'

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Ah. You mentioned them in the same breath as things that theoretically make Dota superior to other Mobas so I thought you were referring to actual buffs gained by killing things in the jungle, not a new spell from a single creep that certain heroes can take advantage of. That's more a buff to Doom / Enchantress / Chen than a 'jungle buff.'

Misread the "provides" as in "gives the slayer" in my rush to get to hero changes.

I mean you can wiggle around the differences but it's still pretty funny. Weird differences that were harped upon are now being vindicated/adopted by Valve.

Also new Viper model sucks. Weird Bug Lizard > Sick Dragon

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think looking at hots and saying "yes the talents are the problem here" is not really seeing the forest for the trees.

hots sucks for the same reason hearthstone sucks, for the same reason overwatch sucks, for the same reason sc2 sucks (blizzard can't loving balance games.) hots is probably their least successful mp game but it released really late in a crowded genre when usually blizzard games have 0 competition.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
haha what is this street fighter bullshit when you start a game? this is amazing

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Do the shrines break smoke?

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Enigma89 posted:

Do the shrines break smoke?

I doubt it, but someone would have to test. They don't give vision, for example.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

don't worry, the death graphic covers the shop, and all of it covers the kill menu, cause communicating while dead about what the hell happened or playing with the shop when dead wasn't ever a thing

They fixed that already

Capsaicin posted:

haha what is this street fighter bullshit when you start a game? this is amazing

after about 5 games this is honestly the only part of the changes i really dislike. it's really annoying and ugly

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is their utter refusal to acknowledge that THD's model is crap a running joke at this point?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Is their utter refusal to acknowledge that THD's model is crap a running joke at this point?

It has to be. I don't think I've ever seen a single person complain about enigma but they gave him a new model anyway. But everybody brings up Jakiro all the time because dammit, he needs a new model

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Radical posted:

i think looking at hots and saying "yes the talents are the problem here" is not really seeing the forest for the trees.

hots sucks for the same reason hearthstone sucks, for the same reason overwatch sucks, for the same reason sc2 sucks (blizzard can't loving balance games.) hots is probably their least successful mp game but it released really late in a crowded genre when usually blizzard games have 0 competition.

actually Overwatch rules and is way more fun than Dota 2 ever was

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the new jakiro model is the jugg arcana

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looks like they already updated the kill display going over the buy menu. some hope

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Did everyone miss that attack speed applies to illusions now? Did i fever dream that up? Seems like it'll balance out a lot of the nerfs and end up better in some places.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Taffer posted:

It has to be. I don't think I've ever seen a single person complain about enigma but they gave him a new model anyway. But everybody brings up Jakiro all the time because dammit, he needs a new model

They gave enigma a new model because someone made if for them so why the hell not put it in. It's from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FofvdCGH94g

E: Apparently not according to that dude's twitter. I guess they were just inspired by the ripped abs?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 12, 2016

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL if you die without skilling your 25 talent u arent able to skill it ever

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
man it's loving wild how there are bugs in the beta test client you're right jpj dota is going to poo poo

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElNarez posted:

man it's loving wild how there are bugs in the beta test client you're right jpj dota is going to poo poo

it goes live tomorrow

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

it goes live tomorrow

And they've already patched it like 5 times today fixing the most obvious bugs. Relax friend, it will be okay.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Waiting for Dota 3 to come out so they can rework the model

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
so is iron talon still worth building now or is it useless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I look forward to playing my first game of Dota in 7 months (and third in 9 months) tomorrow and getting absolutely shithoused. Have there been any consumables added since tomes/raindrops?

• Locked thread