Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Apparently it's news that Festus Ezeli is undergoing "season ending" (lol) knee surgery. For some reason I already thought this was true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Hell, we called Marc Gasol Big Burrito when we were playing Lausanne in high school. Extremely childish and offensive nicknames are nothing new to him. He's Memphis tough

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Tae posted:

Rockets always fascinate me in having both Dragic and Lowry at the same time at one point and ended up with Beverley.

This is a weird question, what team had the most max contracts when they left the team?

Players maxed after they left the team? Probably Portland with Batum, Aldridge and Matthews.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/838207106385838081

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Tae posted:

Rockets always fascinate me in having both Dragic and Lowry at the same time at one point and ended up with Beverley.

This is a weird question, what team had the most max contracts when they left the team?

On the Magic forums years ago a whole bunch of us noticed this and desperately wanted Orlando to trade for either one didn't matter. We knew they were good, we knew Morey wanted to trade.
Our guards were always the weak link during the Dwight years. Years later everyone talked about getting Thomas from the Suns. I do not think half the general managers in the league actually watch basketball games.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Just read this and checked the score. 67 to 51 at halftime. Thanks for the gifted win, LeBron!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

chilihead posted:

On the Magic forums years ago a whole bunch of us noticed this and desperately wanted Orlando to trade for either one didn't matter. We knew they were good, we knew Morey wanted to trade.
Our guards were always the weak link during the Dwight years. Years later everyone talked about getting Thomas from the Suns. I do not think half the general managers in the league actually watch basketball games.

I felt like Dragic was pretty underrated at the end of that season. Ended up getting an 8m/4yr contract offer from the Suns, and a similar contract but with only a partial guarantee on the fourth year from the Rockets. His run at the end of that season was nuts and he hadn't even really started hitting 3 pointers yet.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

send payne to hoffman estates

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

leftist heap posted:

Apparently it's news that Festus Ezeli is undergoing "season ending" (lol) knee surgery. For some reason I already thought this was true.

This is pretty crazy: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18826201/portland-trail-blazers-center-festus-ezeli-unconventional-knee-surgery-require-cadaver-donor

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

leftist heap posted:

Somebody needs Pastor MJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rfLBqW1OU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

https://www.icij.org/tissue Hopefully it's not illegally harvested from a Syrian Army soldier

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

yo NBA goons, stupid question.

Would losing Ron Harper to injury have cost the last 90's Bulls anything in terms of titles, and such? Watching an old "Kenand and Kel" ep and the city is acting like Pippen or Jordan himself got lost for the season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Would losing Ron Harper to injury have cost the last 90's Bulls anything in terms of titles, and such? Watching an old "Kenand and Kel" ep and the city is acting like Pippen or Jordan himself got lost for the season.

I doubt it, but Harper was still decent on the Bulls. He played good D and was overall reliable. They would have had to play Kerr more, which probably wouldn't have killed anyone but I think Kerr was way more useful as a plug-in guy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rockets hosed the Grizzlies up tonight and they took a mere 42 threes. I'm pretty heartened by this because the remainder of their schedule is tough.

We're now at the point where Rockets announcers make jokes about benching players who take midrange jumpers.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Lockback posted:

I doubt it, but Harper was still decent on the Bulls. He played good D and was overall reliable. They would have had to play Kerr more, which probably wouldn't have killed anyone but I think Kerr was way more useful as a plug-in guy.

Yeah, I seem to recall hearing about how Harper was best on the 80's Cavs. (which locally was always thought of as the Best Cavs team ever pre-LeBron/Kyire/Love). Of course they traded him for Danny Ferry who flat out was not very good.

appreciate the help with that btw.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

chilihead posted:

SG was arguably a weakness in 09, Redick and Lee were just average, but Nelson was the second best player on the team and legit star that season before his injury. In 2010 they had Carter, Redick, Nelson, and White Chocolate all playing at a high level, and Nelson in particular blew up in the playoffs and was arguably the best guy on the team. After that the team fell apart when they traded a still very good Carter for scraps and Jason Richardson, who was never a Carter level player, but Nelson and Redick still played well in a much diminished context. The team simply wasn't quite as good as the Lakers and Celtics, but they didn't have any glaring positional weaknesses. Had they not panicked and let the Suns loot the team, they would have had a good chance at the ECF again in 2011, though the Heat were definitely a better team and the Bulls may have been.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

zelah posted:

I moved to Portland from Virginia Beach before it would have happened, but I would have been thrilled if the Kings had ended up moving there. That area deserves a pro team.

Virginia Beach deserves a poo poo sandwich and I hope it falls into the ocean

The B_36 posted:

Which you could say about essentially every team in the NBA at some point or another. Nobody is taking a pay cut right now to play in LA or Miami despite their warm climates, familiarity to American born players, and party type atmospheres that are attractive to young millionaires. Players go where the most money is 90% of the time, and most of the rest of the time they go to whatever team in whatever city has the best chance to be competitive. If players are clamoring right now to get to the hell hole that is Cleveland because they're a title favourite, then they'd do the same for any city anywhere else.

Hell, Mexico City could even be seen as a preferred destination, as it must be easier to get away with some of the..."less than legal" stuff that young rich guys like to partake in while living in Mexico City than it would be in Boston or Orlando.

It's really not bad, I've considered running away from my life a few times and moving down

FuzzySkinner posted:

I mean it's probably the difference between 59 and 63 wins but most of the time the point was expected to hit threes and help cover for Jordan/Pippen when they went for steals. Harper was probably the best PG of the dynasty (Kerr, Paxson, and poor Craig Hodges were also solid, mostly shooting-wise) but the offense was usually going through Jordan, Pippen, or Kukoc/Goggles.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DeimosRising posted:

SG was arguably a weakness in 09, Redick and Lee were just average, but Nelson was the second best player on the team and legit star that season before his injury. In 2010 they had Carter, Redick, Nelson, and White Chocolate all playing at a high level, and Nelson in particular blew up in the playoffs and was arguably the best guy on the team. After that the team fell apart when they traded a still very good Carter for scraps and Jason Richardson, who was never a Carter level player, but Nelson and Redick still played well in a much diminished context. The team simply wasn't quite as good as the Lakers and Celtics, but they didn't have any glaring positional weaknesses. Had they not panicked and let the Suns loot the team, they would have had a good chance at the ECF again in 2011, though the Heat were definitely a better team and the Bulls may have been.

Keep in mind they made the finals with Rafer Alston as their starting point guard.

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean it's probably the difference between 59 and 63 wins but most of the time the point was expected to hit threes and help cover for Jordan/Pippen when they went for steals. Harper was probably the best PG of the dynasty (Kerr, Paxson, and poor Craig Hodges were also solid, mostly shooting-wise) but the offense was usually going through Jordan, Pippen, or Kukoc/Goggles.

Armstrong was probably the best PG they ever had, but PG was not a position where somebody was going to excel.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Fun fact: Spo always has to find new ways of engaging Whiteside so sometimes he has to go and play skee ball and poo poo with him at Dave and Busters.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/sheaserrano/status/838263026369331200

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Strawberry Panda posted:

Fun fact: Spo always has to find new ways of engaging Whiteside so sometimes he has to go and play skee ball and poo poo with him at Dave and Busters.

coach of the year

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

nachos posted:

coach of the year

Would be well deserved.

----

This image is interesting:

https://twitter.com/presidual/status/838123185597997056

Most of it is common sense (consistently wrong is more accurate than inconsistently wrong) but one thing stood out to me.

You know how some shooters say they aim for the back of the rim? Turns out, that is what you should do. Shots fall more often when they enter two inches closer to the back of the rim.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/inpredict/status/606458158031044608

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kneeght of the Walking Dead and I'll see myself out, thanks

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Kneeght of the Walking Dead and I'll see myself out, thanks

Uncle Fester Ezeli

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

that there is certainly a graph...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Buddha. posted:

Not a graph. :v:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Since Seth Curry was inserted into the Mavs starting lineup on January 10th they have had the 4th best record in the West.

The fun overreaction 4 games graphic.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 5, 2017

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Buddha. posted:

The Warriors aim at the backboard during free throws which correlates to their excellent shooting.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Uncle Fester Ezeli

Uncle Festus is a total stiff

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Seth has worked incredibly hard to become the player he is. He used to handle the ball like a power forward and he had no passing instincts whatsoever. And he's physically smaller, less-long, and has much less acceleration (am I reviewing a motorcycle) than his brother. But he worked really hard to find ways to get space to take his jumper, and his jumper has been great since college, when he has space to take it.

He was pretty good in Sacramento, but Carlisle has really used him very well, they use so much misdirection to get him wide open shots, when the defense thinks there's a pause before the next action's going to take place, Curry shoots. When the defense thinks he's slowly bringing the ball up to the elbow to pass it out, he shoots. He has to be tricksy because he isn't lightning quick and he doesn't have the zap release of his brother.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Chandler Parsons is the worst contract in the NBA. He is literally unplayable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BEyQ8jeyc

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Carlisle is the Guard Whisperer

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Carlisle is the Guard Whisperer

thibs is the guard hoarse screamer at the top of his lungs because how could you not rotate there what are you doing JESUS CHRIST HE'S GETTING RIGHT TO THE RIM GROAKA CROAKA YAAAARRRGHHHHH GRAARAHRAHRHGA

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

dokmo posted:

He should try that newfangled zombie knee surgery

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS

dokmo posted:

...wait that song has lyrics?
Also as a Mavs fan I'm glad he's been terrible on the Grizz.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Parsons is another player I'm absolutely confused how he got a max with even a sketchier health history than Noah.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Maybe parsons should try that aiming for the backboard thing too

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

dokmo posted:

I feel vindicated by this.

HE STINKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

Parsons is another player I'm absolutely confused how he got a max with even a sketchier health history than Noah.

Nearly every team had a max contract to spend in a weak free agent class.

• Locked thread