Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The Hulkster is gonna teach this up and comer Okada how to work brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

DeepDickPizza posted:

I saw some of the Cody/Punk promo while I was wrapping up at work. It was pretty good, by WWE standards. Wasn't the completely lifeless schlock most WWE I've seen recently is.

damning with faint praise

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If you didn't think that promo was good seek help

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

RBX posted:

If you didn't think that promo was good seek help

It was good, but

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

damning with faint praise

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
https://twitter.com/FAR_5222/status/1749633545998344431?s=20

It's pretty good. His debut stunk, but Punk is much better when he actually has someone to promo to. And the company is rear end, but these two are pros.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Let me edit

It was good, but...

I'm sorry, it's just lifeless as hell and doesn't actually feel like the top of what either of these weird passionate fuckers can do but they're holding back due to scripting in the company fashion while one needs money and the other needs to keep running after the promotion flown in front of his face.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 23, 2024

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that wasn't like terrible but it didn't convince me that either of them meant it or actually had skin in the game.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
It being lifeless, rehearsed, quiet is what makes it good. That's what workers are supposed to do.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Punk's end is delivered pretty good but lmao at whoever wrote him to say he's the one who can separate business from personal

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

DeepDickPizza posted:

It's pretty good. His debut stunk, but Punk is much better when he actually has someone to promo to. And the company is rear end, but these two are pros.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel for that frog.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

DeepDickPizza posted:

It's mid, but mid is good in HGH's WWE

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The problem for me is that a showdown in a 30-man match is a weak setup for a 1v1 promo like this. I get that there's an aspect of "Only one of us can win a main event in WrestleMania from this," but the thing is, that isn't really true — there are gonna be two main events, and the average fan expectation is that both men are going to end up in one of them separately, so those stakes aren't really there. Both of them are playing face, so for the better part of 14 minutes you're getting really tepid material like "I'm going to throw you out of the Royal Rumble if I have to" — drat, no poo poo, you're planning on trying to win the match you're entering? The Dusty backstory is some perfunctory "We have shoot history" that people love to lean on these days, but "Dusty told me to watch out for you in developmental and you were fine" is super loving boring backstory.

Eventually (8+ minutes in) it heats up a little with the "I'm more American Dream than you" "I'm more CM Punk than you", but the transition to get there is clunky. Punk is talking in circles and it feels like he loses his place and has to reset at one point; you have him saying "I didn't see you as a nepo baby, in fact having your father's last name was a burden" both before and after he's saying "I didn't have a famous dad UNLIKE YOU!!". Cody's bit is a more polished but less fun version of the promo he cut two years ago in AEW. Punk's bit about Cody having the full CM Punk experience when a bigger star waltzes in to steal his spot is the strongest part of the promo by far, but ultimately it ends without feeling like you've put all that much more heat on the prospect of them interacting in the Royal Rumble than you already did by putting the words "CM Punk" "Cody Rhodes" and "Royal Rumble" in the same sentence.

We already knew only one of them could win, we already knew they were big stars. Without them having to eventually settle things 1v1, there's no sense that you're actually going to get any big payoff where one meaningfully comes out on top of the other. Whoever loses the Rumble is just going to be seen as The Guy Who's Obviously Winning At Elimination Chamber

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 23, 2024

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Y'all are trying really hard, I commend you.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Hogan changes the booking of the rumble mid-match so he only gets pulled under the ropes. This results in one of his legs being pulled off Zack Gowen style but he still makes it back into the ring to smirk and roll his eyes at Cody/Punk cutting a victory promo.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Very polite audience for that Punk/Cody promo. Was this filmed in Japan?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

DeepDickPizza posted:

They’re both losers sadly. Big fat losers who should be blown up by a laser or have heads cut off by laser. Just my 2c

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

RBX posted:

RBX posted:

AEW has Edge who can't even bare to look at the hard cam side because it's always fuckin empty and people are actually wondering "WhY wOuLd AnYoNe SiGn WiTh WWE????". Not every wrestler cares about doing heatless "bangers" in front of nobody or being friends with unfunny cringe California dudes.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

DeepDickPizza posted:

it'd be a good promo in a company i'd want to invest time and energy into but unfortunately it's for the stamford supermax

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

edge dealt with that like his whole career lol

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Congratulations to new member of the TKO Board of Directors, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Punk/Cody promo was good, I liked it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

RBX posted:

Glad someone is willing to Stand Up For WWE™

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Does this make him Triple H's boss?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Has the WWE twitter bot posted a "WHAT JUST HAPPENED? :eyes emoji:" tweet yet about the Punk/Cody promo yet?

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
You know someone's a true WWE fan when they use the phrase "heatless bangers" as an insult earnestly.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The Rock is becoming Vince McMahon.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Sheik was 59 in the Gimmick Battle Royal, Hogan turns 70 in August.

Sting is retiring at 64 and still looks the same wrestling now as he did in WCW.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lol he uses "having a seat at the table" in the article.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bold to spoil the Rumble winner days in advance but when you're the boss you can do it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oh https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/netflix-wwe-monday-night-raw-deal-january-2025-1235882820/

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Wow.

https://x.com/wwe/status/1749771466885706104?s=46

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Does this mean it's no longer gonna be the longest running whatever the gently caress they like to claim it is?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Where will they go after Netflix cancel it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

According to sources with knowledge of the deal, it is valued at at least $400 million per year and is believed to run for more than five years. By comparison, sources also say WWE’s current five-year deal for “Raw” with NBCUniversal is worth approximately $250-260 million per year.

WWE’s current deal with NBCUniversal has “Raw” airing on USA Network until October 2024. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, exactly where “Raw” will air between the end of that deal and the beginning of the Netflix deal is still being determined.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

way to lose tv, hunter

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Gotta hand it to them, legitimately. They know how to make money.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Netflix is actually going to air something once a week instead of insisting they tape eight weeks worth of episodes to release at once?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I was told Punk and Zaslav were going to stick the knife in Toney Khan's back and WBD was going to pick up Raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Holy poo poo. The article doesn't specify, but with Netflix getting all WWE content going forward, do they pick up the past streaming library as well?