Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Isentropy posted:

Current final year engineering student here.

Now I read the OP and I understand that I would probably have a better career in engineering (starting at about 50k and moving to a ceiling of maybe 80k if lucky) but I'm not really interested in the money per se. I believe that if I wanted to I could go to law school: I have a 90% average in engineering and I'm Black.

I'd be going with the end goal of becoming a superior court judge and probably applying to U of T or McGill. Is this as stupid of an idea as it sounds? I don't have "connections" (here, anyway) and I went to public school. What does it take to get to that level in Canada?

Do you live in Toronto? You're looking at just under $28k/year for tuition and fees before living expenses.

After that you'd need to get an articling position, pass the bar and practice for at least 10 years in litigation (civil, criminal or family).

http://www.fja-cmf.gc.ca/appointments-nominations/process-regime-eng.html

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I was literally first person done with the VA bar my year.

I'm the same way, I think I was the first done with the LSAT, first done with GU bar, first done with MP bar, second done with WI bar (some other dude walked out halfway through, don't know if he finished or just gave up.) Didn't moonwalk out, just waited at the hotel bar and got hit on later by the girl from my Barbri class who pulled the plug on her fiancee the day before.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Do you live in Toronto? You're looking at just under $28k/year for tuition and fees before living expenses.

After that you'd need to get an articling position, pass the bar and practice for at least 10 years in litigation (civil, criminal or family).

http://www.fja-cmf.gc.ca/appointments-nominations/process-regime-eng.html

I (will be) living in Toronto, but thanks for the information. It seems like my background wouldn't really help me with the sort of litigation required to become a judge. Thanks for the link as well.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
tomorrow i check into a hotel in okemos michigan to take the bar exam on tuesday. i am extremely nervous but i studied hard and i'm ready to go. i'm kind of excited too!

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I'm ready to get this thing over with. My school has a 94% pass rate. I couldn't possibly fail.....right????!?!?!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Tetrix posted:

I'm ready to get this thing over with. My school has a 94% pass rate. I couldn't possibly fail.....right????!?!?!

People from Cooley Law manage to pass the bar. How the hell could you possibly fail?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You guys are all going to feel so good when it is done. For about 2 weeks.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I have to move everything out of my apartment the day after bar and then I have a week off and then my job starts

that week off will be the most glorious cathartic vacation ever

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004

Kalman posted:

People from Cooley Law manage to pass the bar. How the hell could you possibly fail?

Slow down now, not everyone can compare to scholars from the second best law school in the nation.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Second best. They are first in humility.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Last day to study.

Hold me.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahaha NPR is doing a piece on the law school crisis. Ruh-roh Shaggy, all the liberals are going to be so angry.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Ugh. Last day to study.

Hold me.

*cups your balls tenderly*

*so tenderly*

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

My wife takes the PA bar tomorrow. I hope she passes or I am going to murder someone.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Boosted_C5 posted:

Ugh. Last day to study.

Hold me.

Not trying to be an rear end, but if you haven't gotten it by now, you're not going to. Relax, unclench the butthole a little, and have a little confidence that you'll make it.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Boosted_C5 posted:

Ugh. Last day to study.

Hold me.

Take the last day off and use it to get your mind and body some rest so they'll be at 100% for the real thing. Good luck!

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Athenry posted:

Not trying to be an rear end, but if you haven't gotten it by now, you're not going to. Relax, unclench the butthole a little, and have a little confidence that you'll make it.

I still think I can still improve by going over the recent essay exams today one more time.

There's bound to be 1 or 2 repeats with different names plugged in.

Also reading through my outlines one last time might lead to one less factor or point of law escaping me tomorrow.

I'll have plenty of time to relax come Wednesday afternoon. Gonna reward myself with a video-game marathon.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

zzyzx posted:

Take the last day off and use it to get your mind and body some rest so they'll be at 100% for the real thing. Good luck!

4 hours until I leave for Roanoke. I'll stop then for the day and chill tonight from 4pm to bed-time.

Good luck all other bar takers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zzyzx posted:

This is absolutely correct. There's basically no chance you'll learn something between now and the start of the bar that will make as much of a difference as being well-rested. This is especially important since you may not get much rest between day 1 and 2 (stress).

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Tetrix posted:

True story. When I was taking the bar, the woman (I did not know her but we got to talking during the downtime between tests) next to me was clearly freaking out a bit. Normally I wouldn't give a poo poo, but whatever bit of compassion I have for other human beings was apparently kicking in that day.

So I told this woman, "Calm down - this state has something like a 92% pass rate. Ask yourself, when was the last time in your entire life where you were in the bottom 8% of a pool of test takers? Did it ever happen? In elementary school? Middle school? High school? College? Law school? So why would this be the first time right here?"

She actually seemed to calm down a bit. Cheered up, seemed to take it well. I actually felt good about myself, because me and human contact don't always go together well. Particularly me and making other people feel better.

Found out later that she failed.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
yeah its definitely useless to look at something right before you have have to say everything you know about it under stress, which is why FRE 612 definitely doesn't exist

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

yeah its definitely useless to look at something right before you have have to say everything you know about it under stress, which is why FRE 612 definitely doesn't exist

Sleep deprivation has bad effects on memory. Caffeine reduces but does not eliminate these.

I'd definitely review flashcards of your weak subjects the morning of the exam to fix it in memory but get a good night's sleep if at all possible.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

evilweasel posted:

This is absolutely correct. There's basically no chance you'll learn something between now and the start of the bar that will make as much of a difference as being well-rested. This is especially important since you may not get much rest between day 1 and 2 (stress).
Agreed. I saw this in my LSATs markedly.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Good luck starbro, boosted, other takers

I believe in you :unsmith:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Partner, assigning me (nonbillable) research topic: "I remember reading a case on this a while ago. Find that one. I think I found it by searching on Lexis"

THANKS MAN

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
This is the time of year I always feel more satisfied in my decision not to take the bar and practice.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Soothing Vapors posted:

other takers

I believe in you :unsmith:

Awww thanks.

I'm having my pre-test mini-freakout right now. I didn't practice enough MPTs ahhhhhh.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The bar exam is easy. If you fail you are dumb.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

If I do step 10 12 times, that's just as good as doing all 12 steps, right

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Boosted_C5 posted:

4 hours until I leave for Roanoke. I'll stop then for the day and chill tonight from 4pm to bed-time.

Good luck all other bar takers.

YOU CAN DOOO EEET!

Your mission (with passing the bar I guess as secondary): you must come back with stories of people being kicked out for not dressing good enough, people going loving NUTS during the breaks, and other such shenanigans.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Soothing Vapors posted:

Partner, assigning me (nonbillable) research topic: "I remember reading a case on this a while ago. Find that one. I think I found it by searching on Lexis"

THANKS MAN

This has happened to me in every law job that I have had so far.

My take on it is more, "It would make my life easier/I am misremembering/I had a fever dream that a case like this exists."

And then they never believe you, because you can't really prove a negative, can you?

Absolutely.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

YOU CAN DOOO EEET!

Your mission (with passing the bar I guess as secondary): you must come back with stories of people being kicked out for not dressing good enough, people going loving NUTS during the breaks, and other such shenanigans.

Wearing Khakis with my navy jacket/blue shirt/red tie. Hope it's good enough.

Also people better not be freaking out in the bathrooms wasting space. I gotta pee man.

Maybe I'll get done early enough to beat everyone to the john. Hope they have a lot of them.

Just got to Roanoke.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dogen posted:

And then they never believe you, because you can't really prove a negative, can you?

You basically have to say "here is precisely how I searched it. Nothing came up. If you have any other ways you'd like me to search it please let me know" then hope to god you didn't forget something obvious.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Boosted_C5 posted:

Wearing Khakis with my navy jacket/blue shirt/red tie. Hope it's good enough.

Also people better not be freaking out in the bathrooms wasting space. I gotta pee man.

Maybe I'll get done early enough to beat everyone to the john. Hope they have a lot of them.

Just got to Roanoke.
The bathrooms aren't a problem. They're monitored :) Seriously, some bar volunteer hoping to get on some committee is standing in the bathroom, making sure you don't pass notes or something. So people tend to pee and get out.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Someone is threatening to sue me and my wife (not legal related) and my reply included a "lawyer dog" meme.

Unsure if I'm a great lawyer or the greatest lawyer.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
in east lansing

this is the End Of All Things

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Dogen posted:

This has happened to me in every law job that I have had so far.

My take on it is more, "It would make my life easier/I am misremembering/I had a fever dream that a case like this exists."

Well, you can when you find a case from either the appeals court or SCOTUS saying the contrary. However, that's an awkward conversation in itself.

"Hey, remember that thing you thought? Are you sure it wasn't the exact opposite?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

Someone is threatening to sue me and my wife (not legal related) and my reply included a "lawyer dog" meme.

Unsure if I'm a great lawyer or the greatest lawyer.

My firm administers a fairly large issue regarding claims, and every so often we get some random guy really unhappy with us and threatening to sue us. Not like lawyers, guys saying they're going to march down to small claims court or something. Universally these are for things we're 100% required by the law to do and if they sue us over them we'll have it thrown out in a heartbeat and get paid for it.

I haven't yet just asked these people what exactly it is they think we do here when they think we'll run screaming from the prospect of defending against a lawsuit, but I've come real close.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Forcing myself to log onto HBO and watch the Wire now. No more study.

As for bathroom monitors, ugh. I have pee-pee stage fright. Gonna do my business in the stall so creepy monitor guy doesn't try to talk to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Seems like the July 2012 crop of bar takers are way more neurotic and freaked-out than in recent years. I guess anyone who decided in 2009 that law school was still a good idea is probably a pretty broken person though so it makes sense I suppose.