Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

sellouts posted:

Zip I've played hockey for over 20 years what the gently caress is that diagram

Settle down Grand Pa, I know they'd barely gotten past chiseling the 10 Commandments into Slate when you first started playing but surely you were taught what to do when you carry the puck into the zone at some point (Hint its drive wide, then to the net or out to the boards to start the cycle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Zip! posted:

Hope this helps :)

This is awesome, thanks!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zip! posted:

Hello sorry, I've been away traveling so not sure if you've been able to find a team since this post if so great!

You can find a list of every registered rec team here: http://www.eiharec.co.uk/team_list.php or networking through facebook should be able to find you some teams to skate with - posting on one of the buying/selling pages should put you in touch with the right people (https://www.facebook.com/groups/453958284701905/).

As for the standard, its an entirely unregulated mixed bag with no real structure. Generally speaking the "top" level of rec hockey in the UK is 3 or 4 levels below EPL level but every now and then you get groups of players who used to play League. The "better" teams play in the Summer Cup which is really just a series of games organised by some dude but there isn't an officially recognised competition as such in the UK. Teams outside of the Summer Cup organise their own games, which usually leads to playing once or twice a month from Easter through to Summer whilst NIHL/EPL/EIHL and Juniors are in their off season.

All in all, you should be able to find a team that meets your standard and you will enjoy playing with, but games are an entirely mixed bag unless you've played them repeatedly over the years - some times a team of wobblies will turn up, some times you get a team full of former Eastern European Semi Pros.

Hope this helps!

Sweet, bookmarked this for when I can play for a team, going to try and pick up the rest of my pads this month (i'm currently just playing in the basics + Shinpads + cup) and then i'll see if I can get involved. I'm picking it up again quicker than I thought so i'll probably be contacting a few people in the next few months, see where I end up. Thanks!

For the people who gave me advice regarding my leg, I skipped Tuesdays session and it felt a bit better on Thursday so I went, really glad I did. Said i'd just take it slow and practice stick handling. I ended up going all out in the scrimmage, won the puck off players vastly better than me and found myself in position to shoot a few times. Sure, my leg has deteriorated a little bit but its not as bad as it was on Tuesday, which I assume is due to the icing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just can't figure out why the diagram is anything other than the black line, because the play never gets further than that. The rest of it is warp speed.. only exists in science fiction.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm totally going to print that thing out and give it to everyone in my locker room and we're going to have a discussion about it and I'm going to act super serious and get mad when they don't understand it.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
You should totally email it to them first and show up to the locker room ready to discuss.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bring a dry erase board, don't forget the markers.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
What are the arrows that are not pointing directly into the goal for?
Do goalies have a similar map?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hockey Monkey has BOGO pro stock sticks today, promo code BOGOPROSTK

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wooty posted:

What are the arrows that are not pointing directly into the goal for?
Do goalies have a similar map?

Goalie Decision Tree:

Did puck go in?
N - Good save, I am the cornerstone of this team.
Y - Defense let me hang out to dry, I am the cornerstone of this team.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

shyduck posted:

Hockey Monkey has BOGO pro stock sticks today, promo code BOGOPROSTK

Looks like it's already down to LH only.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Acethomas posted:

Left hand best hand.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Acethomas posted:

Really wish you didn't let me borrow that right hand stick to start with!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zip! posted:

Settle down Grand Pa, I know they'd barely gotten past chiseling the 10 Commandments into Slate when you first started playing but surely you were taught what to do when you carry the puck into the zone at some point (Hint its drive wide, then to the net or out to the boards to start the cycle).

yeah idk judge your opponent to see if you can beat him, if not go wide, look for the pass, protect the puck with your body, move where defenders aren't even if it means skating up back towards the blue line and if you've got a clear shot shoot the puck

I guess it's just 1 and 2 that are weird to me as it just looks like drive to the net or drive lower to try to drive to the net to cut across or whatever, which seems weird to diagram given if 1 won't work the odds of 2 working is kinda small. but if 1 is the shot and 2 is trying to make a move around a dude then I guess I get it.

"it's hockey, ya dummies" isn't a good teaching technique i guess.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like the lazy S because that from the looks of it that means you'll always have your body in front of the defender, so it'll make checking of any kind harder right? I'm going to give that a try next week and see how it goes.

E: Meant to quote the diagram.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

unless you're playing in a league where anyone tries to back check then you're giving them plenty of time to get you but hahahaha its beer league aint nobody doing that

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
We had someone bring a dry erase board and markers to our first game. I grabbed it and sketched out two defensemen ( represented by circles) and then finished the drawing of a giant dick and balls. The board never came back after that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My team right now doesn't even split up into wingers and centers, it's literally just "forwards." I've tried to suggest a couple times that it'd be good to know what position we're playing but no one seems to care, you just kind of float into the open areas like drop-in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not a problem if you're actually playing offense. It's probably a good idea to know who's the center when playing defense though.

Though I did have a guy bitch at me a month or so ago for being a right wing and on the left side of the ice.. in the offensive zone. gently caress you buddy, that's not how offense works.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
If you're not playing wing on defense standing where the blue line meets the wall, I do not know what the gently caress you are doing with your life.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
So...what do you do if your skates hurt after ~5 minutes or so after skating? I lace up my skates, everything feels good, my ankle is firmly in place. Then after skating for a few minutes I get this dull, throbbing pain in my feet.

At first I thought I just hadn't broken them in enough but it's been 3 months playing hockey 1-2 times a week.

It doesn't really make a difference in games, since taking the weight off when I sit at the bench eases things, punched the skates out a bit but that didn't really do anything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You loosen them the hell up. If they're sized correctly you loosen them everywhere but the top 2 eyelets.

Then try bunga pads I guess but if they fit correctly they're too tight.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Sounds like you bought the wrong skates bud. What make/style are they? If they're, say, Bauer Vapors, those are thin and you should check out Supremes or Nexus:

Graf has something like 8 footshapes, I found a Graf that worked well for me.

If you can't get your heel to lock in without that amount of tightening then you need to go shopping. If you can loosen them up a bit and still have your heel locked in, you've just been going overboard with the laces.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

prom candy posted:

My team right now doesn't even split up into wingers and centers, it's literally just "forwards." I've tried to suggest a couple times that it'd be good to know what position we're playing but no one seems to care, you just kind of float into the open areas like drop-in.

I would say that is a more advanced way of doing it. Its easy to just divide up each zone into 5 parts and say ok this part is yours, this is yours, and so on. Just playing as forwards rather than LW, RW, C, you'll basically just fill the open space your teammates aren't in. First man back on D picks up the most dangerous open man, next guy picks up the next open man, last guy picks up the last open man. Breaking out, if you play a weave all three forwards will be changing sides of the ice, same if you're regrouping around your defense in the neutral zone. If you play a 3 man forecheck then all 3 of you will be rotating around the offensive zone and the same if you're trying to hold possession and playing a cycle. All three of you will be moving around a lot more and using the whole sheet of ice.

I don't know if any of that makes sense. I think I need a whiteboard...

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

mr. unhsib posted:

So...what do you do if your skates hurt after ~5 minutes or so after skating? I lace up my skates, everything feels good, my ankle is firmly in place. Then after skating for a few minutes I get this dull, throbbing pain in my feet.

At first I thought I just hadn't broken them in enough but it's been 3 months playing hockey 1-2 times a week.

It doesn't really make a difference in games, since taking the weight off when I sit at the bench eases things, punched the skates out a bit but that didn't really do anything.

You are probably tying them too tight. https://youtu.be/IAokL8Wmb9M

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds super similar to the issues I had, and yes, loosening the laces fixes it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bigbillystyle posted:

I would say that is a more advanced way of doing it. Its easy to just divide up each zone into 5 parts and say ok this part is yours, this is yours, and so on. Just playing as forwards rather than LW, RW, C, you'll basically just fill the open space your teammates aren't in. First man back on D picks up the most dangerous open man, next guy picks up the next open man, last guy picks up the last open man. Breaking out, if you play a weave all three forwards will be changing sides of the ice, same if you're regrouping around your defense in the neutral zone. If you play a 3 man forecheck then all 3 of you will be rotating around the offensive zone and the same if you're trying to hold possession and playing a cycle. All three of you will be moving around a lot more and using the whole sheet of ice.

I don't know if any of that makes sense. I think I need a whiteboard...

The problem is we're not an advanced team. We have guys who played rep all their lives, guys who are playing their first season ever, and everything in between.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I've got Bauer Supremes 170s. Thanks for the responses guys.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

mr. unhsib posted:

I've got Bauer Supremes 170s. Thanks for the responses guys.

I have the same skates. I do a slight variation from the video above. Instead of every eyelet being over under, I switch between under over and over under till I get to the top two eyelets. Those stay over under. Works great for me.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Well my first game is supposed to be tonight but my jersey that I need to play in Stinky Socks is currently sitting in a USPS facility 18 minutes away but not showing any sign of being out for delivery. Does usps really not deliver on Sundays? It took them long enough to actually put my jersey in the mail after I ordered it so me getting it a day after I need it would really suck.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
^ just bring a white and a dark, you will be fine. Sometimes you will get an email telling you specifically what team you will be on close to game time.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

EvilTwig posted:

^ just bring a white and a dark, you will be fine. Sometimes you will get an email telling you specifically what team you will be on close to game time.

The Stinky Socks rules say that an official jersey is required to play. I might just go out and buy a white jersey since I know that's what color my team is tonight and see if they'll let it slide since its the first game but I don't know how strict they are on the dress code.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

V for Vegans posted:

The Stinky Socks rules say that an official jersey is required to play. I might just go out and buy a white jersey since I know that's what color my team is tonight and see if they'll let it slide since its the first game but I don't know how strict they are on the dress code.

Is it just a drop in? I've played Stinky Socks before and just brought a white and a black. If you play a league then I believe you are required to have one but even if you are I can't imagine they'd send you packing because you have a white or black instead of their official jersey for just one night. I'm sure there are guys that have forgotten their jersey before and been given a free pass. Also if it is a drop in you might want to wear both jerseys or at least bring them both to the bench with you because I know I got traded from one team to the other like a minute into warm ups.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Bring a dark and a light. Not yellow, grey or red, don't be one of those assholes. :cop: If they give you poo poo, tell them what's up. I played a whole full-time season without a jersey with no issues.

Where are you playing? I'll be at the 930 @ Andover tonight.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I got an email back from the league and they said wearing a regular jersey is fine, especially since I ordered one but it just hasnt arrived yet so thats rad.

Wonder_Bread posted:

Bring a dark and a light. Not yellow, grey or red, don't be one of those assholes. :cop: If they give you poo poo, tell them what's up. I played a whole full-time season without a jersey with no issues.

Where are you playing? I'll be at the 930 @ Andover tonight.

Welp, guess it's time for an impromptu goon meet. I'll be there too, just look for the guy in the non-official jersey who sucks at hockey. I'm on Team 2, which I thought was the light team but the email said to bring a dark jersey so I'll just bring both and see whats up when I get there.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I never got an email with an assignment (and don't expect to, since they're usually not great about it for drop in), but look for #13.

Or the guy that sucks and/or falls down a lot.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just played a tournament where half the teams got kicked out for having 'ringers'. Pretty much anyone who even played in high school was too drunk on the ice to even look like they had played hockey in their life before. Beer league drama is the best.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Hey drizzle, you guys play your second game yet? How'd it go?

We beat both the Yellowjackets and Big Jim Slade, so we're into the semis.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just finished goaltending two back to back skates. First skate was D league which fit my skill level pretty well. Second skate was with B leaguers who had a goalie flake out.

Felt great playing against better skilled guys. Got scored on of course, but I made some surprising stops and got some cheers from the bench. Might be getting the hang of this goalie thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Had my first D-league game tonight, it was wicked fun. Better than the drop ins I've been going to during the day where the other team is always stacked against us, but that's probably because my team ended up winning 7-0. I didn't score any goals but I had a couple shots and some good opportunities where I just missed the net. Definitely excited for next week, just have to work on some things at the day time drop ins.