Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sirotan posted:

I legit want to try the Bud Clamato some day because the combination of beer, tomato juice and clam is just so delightfully horrifying. I've never seen it for sale around here though, I even asked about it on my Budweiser tour but they didn't have any. :(

I haven't had the Budweiser commercial version of a michelada, but I have had a prepared one, with Clamato even, on a cruise and I will say they're a great hangover remedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Absolutely, positively, 100%. I'm trying to think of a place that gets more completely stupid about beer, but I can't.

I'd like to defend Chicago's beer habits.

poo poo. I can't. The biggest thing is that it's become a perpetuating issue where if you want to get your hands on something, you often have to participate in line waiting or getting on "lists" (which I refuse) and checking multiple stores and such. So if I want a Proprietor's, I've got to join in the crowds and thus become part of the problem. It wasn't always this way but a metro area with just shy of 10m people that has a pretty good history of beer culture (GI to FFF to Rev to...) was bound to get crowded with stuff like this.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

I'd like to defend Chicago's beer habits.

poo poo. I can't. The biggest thing is that it's become a perpetuating issue where if you want to get your hands on something, you often have to participate in line waiting or getting on "lists" (which I refuse) and checking multiple stores and such. So if I want a Proprietor's, I've got to join in the crowds and thus become part of the problem. It wasn't always this way but a metro area with just shy of 10m people that has a pretty good history of beer culture (GI to FFF to Rev to...) was bound to get crowded with stuff like this.

Things are basically becoming black Friday light every time a new sought after beer comes out. I'm probably leaving Chicago in May so I know I won't be in a market worse than that which should offer some sort of reprieve. I think the latest BCBS release says a lot about the clusterfuck and how much worse it's gotten in just a year's time.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Things are basically becoming black Friday light every time a new sought after beer comes out. I'm probably leaving Chicago in May so I know I won't be in a market worse than that which should offer some sort of reprieve. I think the latest BCBS release says a lot about the clusterfuck and how much worse it's gotten in just a year's time.

It's even worse if there's some desired beer on tap at some kind of event that gets *any* kind of publicity. The "fuckin catalina wine mixer" at Local Option was shoulder to shoulder, 20 minutes to get a beer hosed up, and practically everything "rare" kicked by about 7:30. On the other hand, sometimes you get incredibly lucky and you get to sit at a table with Cory King and Bag of Sun Chips and get free pours of some of the most amazing beer I've had this year along with tappings of those insane gin barrel beers from Off Color.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 12, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

It's even worse if there's some desired beer on tap at some kind of event that gets *any* kind of publicity. The "fuckin catalina wine mixer" at Local Option was shoulder to shoulder, 20 minutes to get a beer hosed up, and practically everything "rare" kicked by about 7:30. On the other hand, sometimes you get incredibly lucky and you get to sit at a table with Cory King and Bag of Sun Chips and get free pours of some of the most amazing beer I've had this year along with tappings of those insane gin barrel beers from Off Color.

There's definitely positives. And after the last few years where these events have gotten so ridiculous, I'm content at this point to avoid them if I think it's going to be more of a hassle than not. FOBAB is kind of perfect in size and available beers. Dark Lord this last year (my first!) was pretty awesome until actually waiting to get bottles (which took about an hour too long). When they're run right, they're awesome. So I'll stick to the good ones because frankly I enjoy a good bottle share with friends more than spending an evening fighting people to get a taste of one beer.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Another question for Minneapolis area goons, how hard are these Schell's Noble Star beers to track down?

http://schellsbrewery.com/newsevents_info.php?id=80

billybill
Oct 22, 2010

air- posted:

Another question for Minneapolis area goons, how hard are these Schell's Noble Star beers to track down?

http://schellsbrewery.com/newsevents_info.php?id=80

I don't think difficult at all. I'm on the ND/MN border and it's on the shelf around town. I randomly picked one up as a gift late last week.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

billybill posted:

I don't think difficult at all. I'm on the ND/MN border and it's on the shelf around town. I randomly picked one up as a gift late last week.

Awesome. I was mainly gonna hunt for Abrasive, but these seem super underrated and I knew nothing about them prior to talking to MN locals. Anyone in the thread actually try the beer?

I kind of regret reading this since I've gone beyond overboard on shopping this month already... :rip:
http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/minnesota-beers-to-bring-back.136281/

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

crazyfish posted:

Oh I know it. Though, the mixer and the subsequent Abraxus tapping, admittedly, were fine for me because I deliberately got there early enough to get a seat at the bar. Also, being friendly with the bartenders and getting some of the first pours helps immensely as well. That said, it's still not as bad as waiting in the cold 10+ deep even at a local bottle shop before it opens. The fact that it is happening with whiskey as well is really getting annoying. A couple years ago you could find things like Pappy or the Antique collection just sitting on shelves. Maybe when we reach critical mass the things will get better, especially in light of all the breweries that are setting themselves up to fail with mediocre stuff.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I'll be spending 1 (one) night in Burlington VT tomorrow; what're the musts in your goonpinion?

After that I'll be in Stowe for a while :dance: after making a detour past Hill :dance: :dance:

Flatbread has awesome pizza and they brew their own beer which is pretty good. Wait times can be long depending however.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

lazerwolf posted:

Flatbread has awesome pizza and they brew their own beer which is pretty good. Wait times can be long depending however.

American Flatbread is great. Their beers are really solid. Go to Prohibition Pig in Waterbury though. Great food and phenomenal tap list. Even got to say hello to Mr. Lawson himself who was there at the bar.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Anyone else going to Friday the Firkinteenth at Grey Lodge tomorrow? I'll be there for a few hours in the first session.

http://greylodge.com/fri13th.html

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Anyone else going to Friday the Firkinteenth at Grey Lodge tomorrow? I'll be there for a few hours in the first session.

http://greylodge.com/fri13th.html

I thought I was, but then work filled my calendar up. Bummer. None of the stuff at the evening session is particularly interesting, imo.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I couldn't resist, and cracked my bottle of backyard rye last night with some friends. Absolutely fantastic, and I'm so glad I drank it fresh (3 weeks from its bottle date!). I only wish I could get my hands on a few more so I could experiment with cellaring it because I think it will she better than the stout, coffee, or barley wine.

Looks like black ops is hitting the shelves here in DC area and I've always missed out on it. Is it worth it, and should I run out on my day off today to grab one (or two)?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

DC has access to BCBS, Parabola, and KBS which are all lower priced than Black Ops so I wouldn't buy it if I were you. In other words, I feel all of those offer a better value in terms of quality to price for a barrel-aged stout.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

air- posted:

DC has access to BCBS, Parabola, and KBS which are all lower priced than Black Ops so I wouldn't buy it if I were you. In other words, I feel all of those offer a better value in terms of quality to price for a barrel-aged stout.

Awesome, I appreciate the input. I will probably just sit back and hope my store gets some Black Ops in the next couple week--drat you montgomery county!-- and/or save money for a chance at more Bourbon County.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
There's crazy wait-in-line-overnight beer hoarders everywhere. Actually talking to those people is sometimes frightening.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

"Proprietor's should be called Profiteer's" -best internet comment of the day

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Holy loving awesome. Westbrook's Gose is absolutely phenomenal. Thanks Hatful. I never expected a beer this low in alcohol to have such a palate filling body with a huge lemonade flavor that never comes off thin. My only regret is that I can't get this in mass quantities for the Summer.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Midorka posted:

Holy loving awesome. Westbrook's Gose is absolutely phenomenal. Thanks Hatful. I never expected a beer this low in alcohol to have such a palate filling body with a huge lemonade flavor that never comes off thin. My only regret is that I can't get this in mass quantities for the Summer.

Just had my first one last week and I agree its great. I loved mine.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

air- posted:

Awesome. I was mainly gonna hunt for Abrasive, but these seem super underrated and I knew nothing about them prior to talking to MN locals. Anyone in the thread actually try the beer?

I kind of regret reading this since I've gone beyond overboard on shopping this month already... :rip:
http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/minnesota-beers-to-bring-back.136281/

I really like the Star of the North, really beautiful and tart- the Framboise one didn't do as much for me but I'm not as into fruited beers. But people seem to go nuts for it. But ya, if you see em, definitely grab a couple bottles.

edit: don't listen to the people in that thread, Big Wood is pretty bad, not to mention overpriced. Definitely grab some Steel Toe Size 7 too! The best MPLS IPA imo.

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 12, 2013

air-
Sep 24, 2007

global tetrahedron posted:

I really like the Star of the North, really beautiful and tart- the Framboise one didn't do as much for me but I'm not as into fruited beers. But people seem to go nuts for it. But ya, if you see em, definitely grab a couple bottles.

edit: don't listen to the people in that thread, Big Wood is pretty bad, not to mention overpriced. Definitely grab some Steel Toe Size 7 too! The best MPLS IPA imo.

Sounds good. I'm also considering going over to Hudson, WI to see about New Glarus offerings. Hoping for Thumbprint Sour Wild...

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

air- posted:

Sounds good. I'm also considering going over to Hudson, WI to see about New Glarus offerings. Hoping for Thumbprint Sour Wild...

Good luck, that's been gone for months.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

:cheers:

My absolute favorite Gose. To me it tastes like a Berliner Weisse with some coriander and a ton of salt thrown in. By far the most sour/salty Gose I've ever had.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I simply can't fathom how anyone could drink more than 2 sips of any Gose.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Are there any available in Chicago? I need to try this style.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Are there any available in Chicago? I need to try this style.

Off Color Troublesome, among others. Local Option has one too, but that's draft only.

Speaking of Off Color, they signed a distribution deal with 12 Percent, so start watching for them if you get 12 Percent's distribution in your state.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

There's always the option of having seawater shipped to you. I'll trade some for a Proprietor's.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Well hey dude, if you hate Gose so much and can get Westbrook's I'd gladly trade a Red Poppy or Sour in the Rye for a 6 pack of it. I'll even send some Atlantic City salt water over as a counterbalance.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Off Color Troublesome, among others. Local Option has one too, but that's draft only.

Speaking of Off Color, they signed a distribution deal with 12 Percent, so start watching for them if you get 12 Percent's distribution in your state.

Oh poo poo, that's awesome. Have seen a Milwaukee bar with it on tap (along with Daisy Cutter) but it's out of the way for a carless bum such as myself. How are Off Color's beers so far?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Westbrook's Gose rules. I pass through SC on my way to FL and I will always be grabbing a couple 6-packs.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I Dont Like You posted:

Oh poo poo, that's awesome. Have seen a Milwaukee bar with it on tap (along with Daisy Cutter) but it's out of the way for a carless bum such as myself. How are Off Color's beers so far?

Half Acre goes to Milwaukee, but not DuPage County?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

Well hey dude, if you hate Gose so much and can get Westbrook's I'd gladly trade a Red Poppy or Sour in the Rye for a 6 pack of it. I'll even send some Atlantic City salt water over as a counterbalance.

That's like offering Pipeworks to a Chicagoan.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I Dont Like You posted:

Troublesome will most definitely be my "drink all summer 2014 beer." Scurry (the other bottle offering) is okay. At FOBAB, they had some gin-barreled versions of Troublesome (which were all excellent) and a lemon radler aged in gin barrels that was maybe the best thing I had at that fest. So overall, so far so good. Plus, HOPS THE PUPPY.

Kudosx posted:

:cheers:

My absolute favorite Gose. To me it tastes like a Berliner Weisse with some coriander and a ton of salt thrown in. By far the most sour/salty Gose I've ever had.

Yeah, this is my one issue with it: it doesn't really come off as a gose but a salted Berliner. It's very good but it's not exactly what I think of as the style.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

americanzero4128 posted:

Half Acre goes to Milwaukee, but not DuPage County?

I've only seen it at this one bar in particular, and it seems to come on rarely. Not sure if they have any sort of relationship with Half Acre or anything since I've never seen it pop up anywhere else at all.

danbanana posted:

Troublesome will most definitely be my "drink all summer 2014 beer." Scurry (the other bottle offering) is okay. At FOBAB, they had some gin-barreled versions of Troublesome (which were all excellent) and a lemon radler aged in gin barrels that was maybe the best thing I had at that fest. So overall, so far so good. Plus, HOPS THE PUPPY.

Good to know, really interested in checking them out when/if possible. I know a lot of people here are biased against our Friendly Illinois Buddies but I for one welcome any and all good Chicago beer that actually crosses the border, ha.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I Dont Like You posted:

Troublesome is great and will definitely be a summer go-to. Scurry is pretty good and definitely something I would buy over many other brown ales. I think they're going to be bottling a third beer soon, but I'm not sure which one.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

All of you Chicago people should move somewhere else so you can realize how awesome of a city it is for beer lovers, regardless of the clusterfuck that most events and big releases turn into. The quantity and variety of poo poo that's available at most bars and bottle shops on a daily basis is really amazing and something to be appreciated.

Or maybe I'm just mad cause I can't get BCBS anymore :(
Or Daisy Cutter :( :( :(

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Another reason Chicago Beer owns? This guy: https://twitter.com/TheBeerTemple/status/411253447627788288

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

danbanana posted:

Yeah, this is my one issue with it: it doesn't really come off as a gose but a salted Berliner. It's very good but it's not exactly what I think of as the style.

It's way too sour and salty, which I wasn't expecting, having only had the Bayerisher Banhof Leipziger Gose before the Westbrook. I ended up giving that last can to Midorka because I know other people go crazy for it. I'm glad he enjoyed it though. It's just not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I opened a bottle of Wild Wild Brett Violet last night, and it was super delicious. It tasted like a sour pomegranate juice with a hint of lavender. I didn't get much violet, but that could be because it's over a year old. Glad I was able to get two bottles of this, I'll probably wait a year or so to open my second bottle.

Also got to try Rumpkin, which I paired with some whiskey eggnog ice cream. The pairing was ridiculously good, and quite dangerous. If you took a bite of ice cream, and washed it down with the Rumpkin, you couldn't taste the alcohol at all. Dangerously delicious!