Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

P-Mack posted:

What's the upside to being a cf carrier?

some bacteria depend on thin mucus to successfully proliferate and one copy of the cf mutation still thickens your mucus noticeably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tunicate posted:

Most noticable individual adaptations are probably CF, Sickle Cell, and lactose tolerance, just because the first two come with a very obvious downside when on both chromosomes.

Wait, what the hell comes of two copies of the gene for lactose tolerance?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xthetenth posted:

"The first two"

Comedy option: Annihilation reaction on contact with cheese.

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

xthetenth posted:

OwlFancier posted:

"The first two"

like that pi mod who farted so much that her parrot started to make farting noises

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OwlFancier posted:

"The first two"

Looks like I got two of the loving tired chromosome!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been listening to some lectures on the Black Death and never knew that about 10% of Europeans have a resistance to HIV from a mutation that some of the survivors passed on, and a smaller percentage are immune. Nobody knows why that would be selected for, but it's one of the arguments made by those who think it wasn't/wasn't exclusively the plague bacillus that caused the pandemic.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Disinterested posted:

IIRC Africans likewise have adaptations against osteoporosis Europeans don't.

Africans south of the Sahara also have a much higher resistance to malaria. Which is why slavery really took off in the Americas since while indentured servants where much cheaper they just kept dying working the plantations while most African slaves were resistant from childhood, 1493 goes into details about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread idk

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Africans south of the Sahara also have a much higher resistance to malaria. Which is why slavery really took off in the Americas since while indentured servants where much cheaper they just kept dying working the plantations while most African slaves were resistant from childhood, 1493 goes into details about it.

Indentured servants also would run and blend into society much easier. It's a small but important part of it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Probably a dumb question, and may have already been asked.

Did the Romans say "gently caress" or the equivalent? Like would a Centurion be heard telling one of his guys "keep your loving head down!" But in Latin?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

it's gossip and high-school level drama

One of my favorite anthropological anecdotes comes from Colin Turnbull's ethnology of the Mbuti hunter-gatherers of central Africa. A married couple in his village got in a terrible row screaming and yelling at one another. It was so bad the wife started taking down the thatch from their roof and packing her things to go home to her parents, the traditional symbolic gesture for an irreversible divorce. But right then at the last moment both of them clearly started to have second thoughts, both weeping, but both were too proud to put the house back together and make up. Until one of the village women suddenly cried out "Oh! I see you are taking the thatch down to wash out the ants. Let us help :)" and the whole village took the thatch down to the river and fassidiously washed out the fictional ants before putting it back together and pretending that was all anyone ever intended :kiddo:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MrMojok posted:

Did the Romans say "gently caress" or the equivalent? Like would a Centurion be heard telling one of his guys "keep your loving head down!" But in Latin?

Romans certainly cursed, and probably quite a lot -- they had a proud tradition of obscene poetry. "gently caress" ("futuo") was well used and had a number of interesting derivatives, just like English "gently caress", but as far as I know the general intensifying adjectival sense that English has was not among them. They didn't have any equivalent to the "gently caress you" sense of the word either, again as far as I'm aware (Catullus, when poetically threatening to assfuck and facefuck his critics Aurelius and Furius, uses the more specific verbs "pedicabo" and "irrumabo"). I don't have any source to confirm this but I suspect a centurion haranguing a soldier would have called them a oval office (cunnus) or dick (mentula or verpa).

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Wow, thank you for the detailed (and quick) response!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Also, they haven't been able to un-fuse the audio tapes from Herculaneum. Our evidence for what the average Roman would have said is really really spotty.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

homullus posted:

Also, they haven't been able to un-fuse the audio tapes from Herculaneum. Our evidence for what the average Roman would have said is really really spotty.

You can just use pottery as a natural record right? :pseudo:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

oval office and gently caress are two of the hardest expletives to deal with in translation, I find. gently caress because it's such a versatile word in English, and oval office because it's so vile in English but often the best equivalent in another language isn't nearly as bad as the English word.

poo poo, on the other hand, tends to be the same sort of mild curse across languages.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

fishmech posted:

Indeed, Pompeiian sign guy, indeed.

Is this from an academic source or a publically-available one? Translated graffiti would make for a great work or bathroom read.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just google Pompeii graffiti, there's all kinds of lists with translations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Squalid posted:

One of my favorite anthropological anecdotes comes from Colin Turnbull's ethnology of the Mbuti hunter-gatherers of central Africa. A married couple in his village got in a terrible row screaming and yelling at one another. It was so bad the wife started taking down the thatch from their roof and packing her things to go home to her parents, the traditional symbolic gesture for an irreversible divorce. But right then at the last moment both of them clearly started to have second thoughts, both weeping, but both were too proud to put the house back together and make up. Until one of the village women suddenly cried out "Oh! I see you are taking the thatch down to wash out the ants. Let us help :)" and the whole village took the thatch down to the river and fassidiously washed out the fictional ants before putting it back together and pretending that was all anyone ever intended :kiddo:

That sort of extremely involved thing makes me wonder whether it's a known face-saving formula or if it was just a clever idea by the other villager in the spur of the moment. Though I suspect most of the former start as the latter.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Grand Fromage posted:

oval office and gently caress are two of the hardest expletives to deal with in translation, I find. gently caress because it's such a versatile word in English, and oval office because it's so vile in English but often the best equivalent in another language isn't nearly as bad as the English word.

Only American English, I think. Maybe Canada too, but on the British Isles and in Australia you can't survive for five minutes unless you call someone or something a oval office.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

Only American English, I think. Maybe Canada too, but on the British Isles and in Australia you can't survive for five minutes unless you call someone or something a oval office.

Hello hi British person here that is very much uh situational especially in writing :shobon:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

awwwwww

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Kemper Boyd posted:

as an australian with english relatives who has spent a fair bit of time with them and with other poms i can say for sure they drop waaay less c bombs than an australian

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yes oval office is basically punctuation in Australia but there's only like three Australians anyway.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

poo poo, on the other hand, tends to be the same sort of mild curse across languages.

"gently caress" being so versatile is a fairly recent thing, isn't it? Isn't it only in the 19th century that it starts being used to mean something other than "have sex with"?

Something I think interesting is one of the first appearances of the word in print is from a medieval manuscript as marginalia. The writer is talking about an abbot who broke the vow of celibacy, and writes that he's a "d- loving abbot". He writes out "loving", but considers "damned" too obscene to write out, whereas now, you'd more expect to see the opposite.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 25, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

"gently caress" being so versatile is a fairly recent thing, isn't it? Isn't it only in the 19th century that it starts being used to mean something other than "have sex with"?

Something I think interesting is one of the first appearances of the word in print is from a medieval manuscript as marginalia. The writer is talking about an abbot who broke the vow of celibacy, and writes that he's a "d- loving abbot". He writes out "loving", but considers "damned" too obscene to write out, whereas now, you'd more expect to see the opposite.
being damned is, you know, losing your immortal soul to eternal hellfire, but loving, pissing, making GBS threads, are things that everyone does and everyone laughs about. Look at the language in Chaucer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Modern English curses are newish, yeah. David Milch talked about how in the original Deadwood pilot he had characters using period-appropriate foul language and it just sounded absurd and everyone was like Yosemite Sam. Lots of Christianity-based stuff, not as much body functions. So he changed it to inauthentic words like gently caress and cocksucker that would have the appropriate effect on the modern ear.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the worst thing in the world that one seventeenth-century german soldier can call another is "dog's oval office." "bird" is also up there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Apparently one of the rudest words to Romans was "landica". Even the poets don't use it, but when Caesar Divi Filius besieged Antony's wife Fulvia in Perugia, one of his soldiers wrote it on a sling-ball as part of the message "I seek Fulvia's clitoris".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

HEY GAIL posted:

the worst thing in the world that one seventeenth-century german soldier can call another is "dog's oval office."

This term (hundsfott in german) still exists in Finnish as "hunsvotti", which is an extremely mild phrase meaning "rascal, unruly child"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Grand Fromage posted:

Modern English curses are newish, yeah. David Milch talked about how in the original Deadwood pilot he had characters using period-appropriate foul language and it just sounded absurd and everyone was like Yosemite Sam.

Od's blood, what are you talking about?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I can't take a picture at a better angle because I don't wanna invade the guy's privacy, but I swear that my Uber driver is wearing a modern form of a Phrygian cap. If you would see it from the front there is no doubt about it. Is this a thing that is making a comeback, or is in use in certain cultures? I travel the world and I hadn't seen one before. The guy looks Southeast Asian.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a modern form of a phrygian cap is called a beanie.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Animal posted:

I can't take a picture at a better angle because I don't wanna invade the guy's privacy, but I swear that my Uber driver is wearing a modern form of a Phrygian cap. If you would see it from the front there is no doubt about it. Is this a thing that is making a comeback, or is in use in certain cultures? I travel the world and I hadn't seen one before. The guy looks Southeast Asian.

hmm to me it looks like a Sikh guy with his hair tied up in a patka or something instead of a turban, but sure, it could be the thing you said

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

hmm to me it looks like a Sikh guy with his hair tied up in a patka or something instead of a turban, but sure, it could be the thing you said

No I know Sikhs and this was not that, it was a cap like what a Smurf would wear but black

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

Ras Het posted:

This term (hundsfott in german) still exists in Finnish as "hunsvotti", which is an extremely mild phrase meaning "rascal, unruly child"

Kinda like bugger.

HEY GAIL posted:

the worst thing in the world that one seventeenth-century german soldier can call another is "dog's oval office." "bird" is also up there.

Does "bird" mean a homosexual?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Black Leaf posted:

good guess, but unlike late 19th century yiddish, surprisingly not! it means a lightminded person, someone who doesn't take things seriously and can't be relied upon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAIL posted:

"Dog's oval office" got some spelling upgrades over the centuries, but it's still something which can get you murdered if you say it in the wrong part of town. Strangely enough, calling someone "bird" is also still around, nowadays it's more like calling someone an idiot, though.

HEY GAIL posted:

good guess, but unlike late 19th century yiddish, surprisingly not! it means a lightminded person, someone who doesn't take things seriously and can't be relied upon.

It still means the same! Just looks like people back then took being called dumb really, really serious!

Black Leaf posted:

:allears: Ha ha, oh wow. As a German, seeing someone aiming that far off target is kind of funny, even if it's not your fault.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

:allears: Ha ha, oh wow. As a German, seeing someone aiming that far off target is kind of funny, even if it's not your fault.
yiddish and german are related but not identical, it seems
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/feygele#English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAIL posted:

yiddish and german are related but not identical, it seems
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/feygele#English

Also, my personal knowledge of yiddish is zero, so everything related to that will just pass me by. Like, it will orbit Earth over my head, so far away is it from my personal experience.