Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I need to rebuild a retaining wall and wanted to check something I'm not sure of. If using cinderblocks, should I fill the inside with concrete or can that expand/damage the wall as it cures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

lifts cats over head posted:

I need to rebuild a retaining wall and wanted to check something I'm not sure of. If using cinderblocks, should I fill the inside with concrete or can that expand/damage the wall as it cures?

FIll em up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you're building a retaining wall out of cinderblocks will it really matter because in five years it'll start toppling anyway?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yes, you should grout-fill block for that sort of application.

The way I watched pros build a retaining wall was to pour a concrete footer with rebar sticking out vertically to the height of the last course of block for the wall. The courses of block are set down onto the rebar so it goes through the hollows of the blocks, and at the end the block was filled with grout. The masons I worked with used wider 12 inch block at the bottom so they could brick over the block-face and make it look good. Then it was capped with stone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't have any personal experience with retaining walls, but I've been watching Mike Haduck's videos on YouTube and he has one on retaining walls. The bottom line seems to be: if you want a retaining wall, overengineer the hell out of it, especially if you live somewhere where it freezes. Failing that, build it out of something irregular so that it's not obvious when it starts to fail/lean. But he would tend to recommend that instead you landscape such that no retaining wall is needed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My (very limited) experience with retaining walls is that the forces on them are much greater than you imagine, and without proper engineering they will either begin to lean and look bad in fairly short order (best case scenario) or fail catastrophically and dangerously.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah a real vertical retaining wall requires a lot of footing and anchoring - and even if decorative it needs to be below the frost line if you get serious winter weather.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I got got with a citation from the city about my front yard. I'd been planning on ripping up the grass and replacing it with desert friendly landscaping, but I've been delaying.

In broad strokes, what would be the potential problems with the following plan?

1. Rip up all turf
  2. Level soil underneath
  3. Cap off sprinkler lines (?)
  4. Lay down liner where necessary
  5. Lay down brick or planters where necessary
  6. Plant desert plants
  7. Lay rocks 2" deep over liner

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 28, 2018

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a Kenmore Pro refrigerator, model # 253.44333600. It came with the house, and has worked fine for about 5 years but recently started to get warm. If I unplug it and leave it open for a few days, then plug it back in, it will work fine for a month or so, then start acting up again. It will lose the target temp for a few hours, then go back to normal, then lose it for a day or so and go back to normal, and finally lose it until I unplug it and leave it open again.

Just unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't fix it, it needs a few days. That makes me think water is collecting somewhere, but I can't find info online for it beyond the basic troubleshooting guide (which I have followed, cleaned the coils, etc.)

Anyone have any ideas?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

armorer posted:

I have a Kenmore Pro refrigerator, model # 253.44333600. It came with the house, and has worked fine for about 5 years but recently started to get warm. If I unplug it and leave it open for a few days, then plug it back in, it will work fine for a month or so, then start acting up again. It will lose the target temp for a few hours, then go back to normal, then lose it for a day or so and go back to normal, and finally lose it until I unplug it and leave it open again.

Just unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't fix it, it needs a few days. That makes me think water is collecting somewhere, but I can't find info online for it beyond the basic troubleshooting guide (which I have followed, cleaned the coils, etc.)

Anyone have any ideas?

When it gets warm does the air still blow? It sounds like it's freezing up near the evap coil and cutting off air.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

glynnenstein posted:

When it gets warm does the air still blow? It sounds like it's freezing up near the evap coil and cutting off air.

I can check that when I get home later.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

armorer posted:

Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like it freezing up. Check that fans are running, check the defrost timer and.......if those are good it's low on refrigerant.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My fridge had an issue with icing, that turned out to be that the defroster was running just fine...but the "exhaust" (liquid water) from the defroster was not reliably kept liquid all the way through to the evaporation pan. There was a short tube between the defroster and the pan which could freeze up, and when that froze, water couldn't get out, so it froze, and gradually backfilled the defroster until the fan couldn't blow. The fix was to wrap a wire around the bottom of one of the defroster heating elements, running down into that exhaust tube. That conducts enough heat that the water stays liquid through to the pan.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

So I got got with a citation from the city about my front yard. I'd been planning on ripping up the grass and replacing it with desert friendly landscaping, but I've been delaying.

1. Rip up all turf
  2. Level soil underneath
  6. Plant desert plants

liners don't really last--
best defense is at least 6" of rock which will prevent most weeds from getting tall enough to see light. For the rest a little hula-hoe action will be enough to keep em in check.

Also before you rip out the turf, give it a great watering to green it up then murder it all with glycophosphate.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wasabi the J posted:

So I got got with a citation from the city about my front yard.

The gently caress is wrong with your front yard?!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This is an old picture. The current state, due to my lack of lawn care and the desert, is scorched middle at some kind of fast growing thistle or feathergrass on the edges. We've been talking about replacing it for months, as the tree is also likely to push up the slab of the house.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't forget to salt the poo poo out of the ground.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m going to put up string lights on a tree right next to a shed that has power on the inside. Should I come up with some cute clever way to get the power for it through to the shed or should I just run an extensions cable out the door and throw some dirt on it?

Lights will be used very very rarely and could possibly even be unplugged for awhile.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I got a kegerator from CL for free, but it doesn't get cold enough...wondering if there's anything I can do to fix it.

It got to maybe 59 F or so when I got it, but I noticed the thermostat wire was right next to the cooling coils. It had a lot of slack in it, so I was able to pull it out and place it more in the middle, and that got it down closer to 50, but clearly still not cold enough.

I'm thinking the problem is either the thermostat isn't reading right, or there's not enough coolant. I suspect the first, because if it wasn't enough coolant, I feel like I'd hear the compressor running pretty much non-stop as it continually tried to get down to temp. But it cycles like a regular fridge would, so that tells me it "thinks" it's hitting the target temp.

I'm going to try and route the thermostat out of the fridge as the next test (since it's a kegerator, it has a small hole meant for CO2 tubing that makes it easy on the same side that the thermostat is on.)* to see if reading the 80 degree ambient air brings it down anymore. Anything else I should try?

And if it's not the thermostat, is it even possible to "recharge" what is basically a minifridge?

*And yes, I have plugged up both the CO2 hose hole and the hole at the top that goes to the tap, still doesn't get below like 53.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So I bought and installed a "Whole House Fan" which is working awesome.

It's so awesome that I have a new problem: I mis-calculated the amount of peak vent my attic has, I'm 5 square FEET of net-free-area shy of the capacity I need. The fan is so powerful that it's pushing attic air out my rafter / soffits and is being sucked back into the house by the fan.

The solution is simple, to install a big rear end gable vent - but I have very little experience working with siding and home penetrations.

Here are the "installation instructions" they have:

http://www.alvcompany.com/images/miscimages/standard.png

It seems straight forward, you rough cut a hole, mount the thing with the flange directly to the sheathing.

But what do they mean by "properly flashed" ? If the siding buts up to the vent, I assume you just put a shitload of caulking down and the flange serves as the flashing? I'm an idiot so I may be misunderstanding what flashing means.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Caulk is not flashing. Flashing provides an overlap so that water would have to go up, against gravity, to get under the installation. Caulk is meant to cover small gaps and handle movement between different components of the structure.

I'd treat this like installing a window, since they're basically similar. I'd use self-adhesive flashing (something like this)
  • Place vent in rough opening; shim until it's level and positioned as desired.
  • Nail vent into place.
  • Caulk nail holes.
  • Apply flashing horizontally along the bottom, covering the bottom flange.
  • Apply flashing vertically along the sides, covering over the edges of the flashing installed in the prior step.
  • Apply flashing horizontally along the top, again covering over the edges of the flashing installed in the prior step.

Then you (re-)install siding on top of the flashing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

1. Rip up all turf
  2. Level soil underneath
  6. Plant desert plants

I did this recently.

- Depending on where you live, there may be rebates from the state or water company for removing your lawn. Check with them first as they often require application before you do the work.
- Turf is a lot harder to rip up than you first realize. Kill it all first with Roundup. If you have Bermudagrass, treat with roundup several times over a couple of weeks. Get a good grub hoe and sharpen your shovel and dig it up.
- Desert plants still need some water, especially when getting established. I capped off most of my sprinklers and ran drip lines.
- I did not put a liner and am battling spots of Bermudagrass coming back up. I have about 3" of mulch, and am not seeing many weeds otherwise.

Me in Grover position before:

During:

After:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Funnily enough the rebate is how we think we got the citation. Two days prior I had called the water district to come take a look at it, they said they probably wouldn't be able to give us one because it hadn't been well maintained.

Fast-forward 48 hours I have somebody from the city giving me a citation telling me that my grass is too long.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You need to maintain your lawn before getting rid of it? I got rid of mine because I don't want to maintain it. I plan on getting rid of more in the future.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 29, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yes. I, too, was surprised.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

You need to maintain your lawn before getting rid of it? I got rid of mine because I don't want to maintain it. I plan on getting rid of more in the future.

In a twisted sort of way it makes sense. The goal is to get you to stop watering. Of course in a reasonable world this wouldn't be an issue, but you would get people complaining you are just using it to get the city to pay for your landscaping. ( :ssh: I realize that this is what the rebate is.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

And if it's not the thermostat, is it even possible to "recharge" what is basically a minifridge?

Possible? Yes. Economically viable? Not so much. Most times there are no ports (they fill at the factory and crimp/solder) so you'd need to add them.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I got a kegerator from CL for free, but it doesn't get cold enough...wondering if there's anything I can do to fix it.

It got to maybe 59 F or so when I got it, but I noticed the thermostat wire was right next to the cooling coils. It had a lot of slack in it, so I was able to pull it out and place it more in the middle, and that got it down closer to 50, but clearly still not cold enough.

I'm thinking the problem is either the thermostat isn't reading right, or there's not enough coolant. I suspect the first, because if it wasn't enough coolant, I feel like I'd hear the compressor running pretty much non-stop as it continually tried to get down to temp. But it cycles like a regular fridge would, so that tells me it "thinks" it's hitting the target temp.

I'm going to try and route the thermostat out of the fridge as the next test (since it's a kegerator, it has a small hole meant for CO2 tubing that makes it easy on the same side that the thermostat is on.)* to see if reading the 80 degree ambient air brings it down anymore. Anything else I should try?

*And yes, I have plugged up both the CO2 hose hole and the hole at the top that goes to the tap, still doesn't get below like 53.

So if you have all the hosing and such that came with it, the only thing you really need to do is purchase a chest freezer and a temperature controller... then just swap all the equipment over. Depending on what exactly you get, you can build a collar for it if you need extra height.

Don't try to recharge it, the equipment you need would be way more expensive then building a keezer.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Ok so regarding my fridge that isn't holding temp:

There is no ice anywhere in there, and the fan is blowing just fine.

No water pooling that I can see from here, I am going to try to access where the evap tray is if I can get to it now.

Edit: The evap tray is bone dry as well. I poured some water into the bottom to make sure the hose to the tray was unobstructed, and it ran through just fine.

The only thing that looks slightly odd here to me in that the hole in the aluminum surround around the coils doesn't line up perfectly with the drain to the dray, but it also doesn't really look problematic (and the water does drain, as I said above).

Edit 2: Also worth noting that the compressor is not running

armorer fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 30, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

armorer posted:

Edit 2: Also worth noting that the compressor is not running

If the compressor isn't running that would explain it not getting cold. You would need to figure out how it's supposed to get power to run, likely a relay somewhere. Make sure everything is getting voltage, the relay is closing, etc. Try shorting the wires on either side of it to see if it fires up. You'll want to find a wiring diagram if you aren't handy at tracing this stuff out, and you will need a multimeter or test light.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm in the process of fixing a retaining wall that happens to be next to a set of concrete stairs that are leaning. Is it possible to dig under the stairs a bit, lift it with a jack, and level it with something? Or am I likely to make it worse if I try?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They're likely to crack honestly.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm in the process of fixing a retaining wall that happens to be next to a set of concrete stairs that are leaning. Is it possible to dig under the stairs a bit, lift it with a jack, and level it with something? Or am I likely to make it worse if I try?

I would not try to correct the lean it has now, but you may be able to stop it getting worse. If the current slope is problematic, I'd start to plan a replacement instead of loving around with it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Even if you tried to move it, there's probably a ton of dirt and gravel and things between the stairs and the wall.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I busted out the brick “bench” my fireplace had in preparation for refacing with faux stone and adding an electric insert.

Problem is, the mortar on the bottom has a very strong bond with the concrete floor. My plan was to use my air chisel to pop it off then fill in the low spots I create, but my chisel empties my 18gal compressor in about 5 seconds so it’s taken all day.

Is there a better way to do this? I was thinking maybe a $10 HF air hammer would be more efficient than the 30 year old one I inherited, but I doubt it. Rent an electric SDS? Some other tool I haven’t thought of?

Cool time capsule of garbage preserved within the brick, not even smashed:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Grind it down?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FogHelmut posted:

Grind it down?

Is “flapwheel for concrete” a thing?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

eddiewalker posted:

Is “flapwheel for concrete” a thing?

I haven't used them, but they make things like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-4-1-2-in-Double-Row-Diamond-Cup-Wheel-DW4774/203061023

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

All right, then. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

I busted out the brick “bench” my fireplace had in preparation for refacing with faux stone and adding an electric insert.

Problem is, the mortar on the bottom has a very strong bond with the concrete floor. My plan was to use my air chisel to pop it off then fill in the low spots I create, but my chisel empties my 18gal compressor in about 5 seconds so it’s taken all day.

Is there a better way to do this? I was thinking maybe a $10 HF air hammer would be more efficient than the 30 year old one I inherited, but I doubt it. Rent an electric SDS? Some other tool I haven’t thought of?

Cool time capsule of garbage preserved within the brick, not even smashed:

Rent an electric demo hammer?