Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I envy people who can fall asleep this easily.
But to assuage the anxiety of these lucky people: you can get pillows with speakers inside or a cloth headband with earphones, both of which would be impossible to accidentally swallow.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

By popular demand posted:

I envy people who can fall asleep this easily.
But to assuage the anxiety of these lucky people: you can get pillows with speakers inside or a cloth headband with earphones, both of which would be impossible to accidentally swallow.

You underestimate my power.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Volcott posted:

You underestimate my power.

Obviously they’ve never dreamt of eating a giant marshmallow.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm suddenly very glad that my sleeping problems have nothing to do with sleep eating, that would really suck (even more calories into my gullet)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Does an airpod have a lot of calories?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Probably not significantly higher than any similarly sized lump of plastic.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

GrossMurpel posted:

Does an airpod have a lot of calories?

I imagine they would if you could somehow dissolve the hydrocarbons(in the plastic) and metal within the airpod.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And yes, digesting a battery can kill you.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Or two or more magnets. Don't eat any magnets, but especially don't eat more than one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Volcott posted:

Or two or more magnets. Don't eat any magnets, but especially don't eat more than one.

what if theyre equal monopoles

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Carthag Tuek posted:

If you can do that, who are we to stop you?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
My concern with that story is the description of water not going down. I have dysphagia and let me tell you it doesn't just drain back out like opening your mouth and drooling. In the worst case it's around an hour of pseudo-vomiting phlegm. Each little sip, even swallowed saliva, builds up above the entrance to your stomach until enough is accumulated for your body to eject it, but no stomach acid since things are closed. You basically can't do anything for 15--90min because you're focused on breathing without choking and spitting instead of swallowing.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Woman overjoyed at birth of great-great-great-grandchild in Edinburgh

quote:

The family are believed to be the only family in Scotland with six generations alive at the same time.

According to Guinness World Records, the most generations alive in a single family has been seven.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

quote:

They all gave birth aged 18 or younger and live in or around Edinburgh.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

To be fair, Edinburgh is not the city anyone would associate with a 5 generation 18 year cycle of parenthood.

Edinburgh is 100% dry shites. The driest of shites in fact.
Glasgow is the better, more casual of cities. God I love Glasgow.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pookah posted:

To be fair, Edinburgh is not the city anyone would associate with a 5 generation 18 year cycle of parenthood.

Edinburgh is 100% dry shites. The driest of shites in fact.
Glasgow is the better, more casual of cities. God I love Glasgow.

Does "dry shites" mean "uptight and boring people"?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yes

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Shifty Nipples posted:

Does "dry shites" mean "uptight and boring people"?

Sounds like the kind of people that get married right away and have kids to perpetuate the cycle of boredom.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

I'd recommend locking down the Nobel in physics before you put yourself in position where you could eat it if you have an actual physical magnetic monopole.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/richard_kadrey/status/1405964566492758025?s=21

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like that the implication that the writer likes huge women, because the 10 smaller gals are not as "handsome".

This is incident was later adapted to film but the producers decided to exaggerate it as "A Thousand Elephants".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seems like this would be a rather conspicuous gang

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

"Myeh that's a real slick plan, but whadda the little squirrely-looking girls gonna do, boss?"

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Ali Baba last seen confusedly horny.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sighence posted:

Ali Baba last seen confusedly horny.

Ali Babar

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I came here to post this. It's a neat video, but holy hell that headline. :allears:

quote:

In Dr. Mehta’s eyes, one unexpected insight of the experiment was the resilience of eel memory. School breaks and holidays often interrupted eel training, but still, Benjen remembered the ramp. In the future, Dr. Mehta hopes a student will come along who wants to teach Benjen new tasks. He continues to live in the lab, where he still undulates, uninvited, onto the ramp, awaiting big squid.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Jun 22, 2021

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Blue Footed Booby posted:

undulates, uninvited, onto the ramp, awaiting big squid

new thread title please

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

gey muckle mowser posted:

new thread title please

Free advertising? We all know you're in the pocket of Big Squid.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Imagine an eel, undulating on a big squid's face -- forever

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
u giev squib?! >: (

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Wait, is that a happy ending or sad ? Are his uninvited ramp undulations being rewarded with squid ( :) ), or is he forlornly awaiting squid that will never arrive ( :( ) ?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1407432528798101511

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This whole thing is very dumb

Fully cooked, prepared, served, then slowly frozen by an idiot and mailed across the entire country to a lab

No conclusive DNA of any kind survived, I wonder why

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not finding tuna is one thing, not finding the species seems another

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not finding tuna is one thing, not finding the species seems another

That's because DNA isn't magic and the sampling was done in the worst way possible.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CFnCCz8l9IqUVaG/status/1037193343044919298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

What’s irksome is that the article is very explicit in pointing out that they didn’t find any tuna dna, but the fact that the test failed and therefore nothing can be said about the tuna content is described in terms that are likely to go over a layperson’s head.

Also a big lol at the poor lab technician who had to put a bunch of subs in a blender before loading the PCR with samples of beige sludge