Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I can agree that killing women and children with explosives is wrong. Controversial maybe but there I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
We had this conversation, it's apparently way too political. Being against the indiscriminate slaughter of non-combatant women and children is too divisive of a political opinion.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

When you're talking near half a million civilians killed in the cruelest possible way, either by fire or nuclear heat, in Japan alone, and for the flimsiest of grognard loving nerd excuses, it stops being a polticial statement and just becomes an obvious ethical observation I think.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
People like to look at the world through the lens of US GOOD, THEM BAD and can't seem to believe that there's nobody blameless in a war. Yeah the Allies were absolutely 100% the good guys in WWII given who the Axis were but, well, it was a god damned war so some awful things were done along the way by every side. War is dirty business overall and WWII saw the use of some of the most destructive things that humanity has ever invented.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

War is dirty business overall and WWII saw the use of some of the most destructive things that humanity has ever invented.

Like the Holocaust.
:can:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It doesn't help that the primary US education on the subject of Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki begins and ends with "It was necessary." Regardless of the politics or how you ethically feel, that's how the subject has been introduced to schoolchildren for nearly a century now.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
"TOO POLITICAL!!!" I shriek as the putrid remains of the skin mask finish falling off my empire and land with a *splorp!* upon the ground. "THOSE HOSPITALS AND SCHOOLS HAD TERRORISTS IN THEM! THEY HAD TERROR CEMENT, USED FOR TERRORISM!!"
*produces UN-donated empty flour sacks clearly labeled as such*
Boy I sure love being completely politically-neutral! *murders the world's most photogenic medic as she tries to help a wounded child*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

It doesn't help that the primary US education on the subject of Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki begins and ends with "It was necessary." Regardless of the politics or how you ethically feel, that's how the subject has been introduced to schoolchildren for nearly a century now.

A necessary evil is still, by definition, an evil.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not disagreeing, just noting.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People like to look at the world through the lens of US GOOD, THEM BAD and can't seem to believe that there's nobody blameless in a war. Yeah the Allies were absolutely 100% the good guys in WWII given who the Axis were but, well, it was a god damned war so some awful things were done along the way by every side. War is dirty business overall and WWII saw the use of some of the most destructive things that humanity has ever invented.

and if we hadn't nuked them, the nuclear deterrent probably wouldn't be nearly as effective. It's only a real deterrent if you prove at least once that you're willing to use it.

That's not to say it was "right", but it was certainly effective.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Jun 7, 2019

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

and if we hadn't nuked them, the nuclear deterrent probably wouldn't have been nearly as effective. It's only a deterrent if you prove at least once that you're willing to use it.

That's not to say it was "right", but it was certainly effective.

Then ask yourself why did we immediately see our Russian allies as the villains? Why did we have to prove we could nuke something?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Skratchez posted:

Then ask yourself why did we immediately see our Russian allies as the villains? Why did we have to prove we could nuke something?

r u serious

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Skratchez posted:

I feel like I can't answer the first one without stepping fully over the line this discussion is walking along. As for the second, if you have some technology that works in tests but has never been used in real world war scenarios, people might be inclined to test you in case you're bluffing/don't have the backbone for it. Maybe things would be as they are without using them during a war, but my opinion is if we hadn't, someone else would have done it first to us or, more likely, one of our weaker allies.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Skratchez posted:

Are you asking why we didn't nuke the Russkies?

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Aramek posted:

Are you asking why we didn't nuke the Russkies?

No. We nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki as a lesson in capitalism. Much to their dismay.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
We’re still working from the supply of Purple Hearts that were manufactured in preparation of an invasion, so the idea that such a scenario would have been even bloodier seems to have been a genuine belief on our part, rightly or wrongly.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

people might be inclined to test you in case you're bluffing/don't have the backbone for it.
PHUO: Couching wanton sadism and needless cruelty in terms of biological fitness is pretty much the clearest sign that the speaker belongs all the way at the bottom of the ocean without life-support system(s).

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

We’re still working from the supply of Purple Hearts that were manufactured in preparation of an invasion, so the idea that such a scenario would have been even bloodier seems to have been a genuine belief on our part, rightly or wrongly.

I'm not being smug or calling yout "m8" but it was pure propaganda.

They weren't going to meet us on the beaches with bamboo spears. They didn't want the God emperor hurt and he was about 1.5 days from total surrender.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

PHUO: Couching wanton sadism and needless cruelty in terms of biological fitness is pretty much the clearest sign that the speaker belongs all the way at the bottom of the ocean without life-support system(s).

it's a figure of speech. It's not talking about your actual spinal condition. I clearly meant having the capacity to follow through on your threats - there's no moral judgement in the term. You could have "backbone" in the way the expression implies and still be a despicable person.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
PHUO: The idea that nuking Japan wasn't a political decision is obvious nonsense and while it's an important topic, it's not one that belongs in this thread.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Patrick Spens posted:

PHUO: The idea that nuking Japan causing and enforcing universal suffering to all living things literally all the time wasn't a political decision is obvious nonsense and while it's an important topic, it's not one that belongs in this thread.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
PHUO: Everything is political.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

It's easy to armchair general and look at things through the 20/20 of hindsight. Maybe the war could have ended just as quickly if we hadn't double dipped on nuking Japan. Maybe the leadership was right and the only way to end the war quickly was to flatten two cities and demand surrender. The fact is, well, that was over 70 years ago. It's done. We can't change the past. Maybe the nukes were the best option. Maybe they weren't. Maybe we could have prevented the war by taking the emperor out for pancakes in 1938 and asking him how his day was.

We just don't loving know for sure. None of us shitposting here had any hand in that decision and the war started before pretty much all of us were born. None of us have to take any blame for said decision because we weren't the ones that made it or put it into motion.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe we could have prevented the war by taking the emperor out for pancakes in 1938 and asking him how his day was.

We just don't loving know for sure.
Decades of psychological research all but states empyrically that, yes, we know for sure this would've worked.
But that's not profitable for merchants of death and misery.

PHUO: Supporting bad things once you know they are bad absolutely entitles you to a voting share of the blame ("voting" in this case means "short-drop hanging").

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s actually hitlers fault the bombs got dropped

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

It’s actually hitlers fault the bombs got dropped

Ah, but did you consider that the Palestinians FORCED Hitler to do the Holocaust!?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tubgoat posted:

Ah, but did you consider that the Palestinians FORCED Hitler to do the Holocaust!?

(Messily sifts through giant unorganized piles of papers on desk wide eyed and nodding)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

(Messily sifts through giant unorganized piles of papers on desk wide eyed and nodding)

Not sure how public knowledge this is, but it is literally Bibi Netanyahu's publicly-stated view.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tubgoat posted:

Not sure how public knowledge this is, but it is literally Bibi Netanyahu's publicly-stated view.

Yup. And not even in a “taking the worst possible interpretation of what he said” way, like he explicitly said that Hitler didn’t even want to kill the Jews before the Palestinians got involved.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
shut the gently caress up lol thats my opinion

but for real: you're all morons and your opinions deserve to be here, thats what i feel. I also think that corn is the worst thing to have ever been invented and they're putting that corn poo poo in the pipes? the oil pipes, the water pipes, the sewage pipes, all of them? And you wonder why the earth is as hosed up as it is? It isn't because of gasoline, it isn't because of oil, it isn't because of elon musk, its all because of corn open your eyes you loving nimrods its always been corn and it will forever be corn and it is JEB BUSH who is at the front lines defending corn, putting it on our plates, putting it in our mouths, and we have to tell that motherfucker NO. it is time to STOP supporting the corn lobby, it is time to burn it down until all the corn is popped.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jun 7, 2019

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Sorry that it's a known fact that after WWII there were two super powers left standing. The nukes were a message from one to another.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

shut the gently caress up lol thats my opinion

but for real: you're all morons and your opinions deserve to be here, thats what i feel. I also think that corn is the worst thing to have ever been invented and they're putting that corn poo poo in the pipes? the oil pipes, the water pipes, the sewage pipes, all of them? And you wonder why the earth is as hosed up as it is? It isn't because of gasoline, it isn't because of oil, it isn't because of elon musk, its all because of corn open your eyes you loving nimrods its always been corn and it will forever be corn and it is JEB BUSH who is at the front lines defending corn, putting it on our plates, putting it in our mouths, and we have to tell that motherfucker NO. it is time to STOP supporting the corn lobby, it is time to burn it down until all the corn is popped.

without corn though how am I going to make chili

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
and another thing: what do you REALLY think the a-bomb had in it? you think it had some explosive nuclear poo poo? no, it had pure, unfiltered corn oils in it. Corn oil can destroy homes, destroy the lands, destroy the world if you let that poo poo spread. And t hey did. they dropped it on nagasaki and hiroshima, those hitler-loving bastards might have deserved a lot of poo poo but they did not deserve the corn bombs. americans are at fault for letting the corn take the world over and you loving hacks have it in your EARS. get that poo poo out of your ears, and listen to the TRUTH, the truth that corn is loving evil and you are too if you support it

YOU PUT CORN? IN THE CHILI? OH MY GOD YOU ARE HGOPELESS

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

I haven't tried this yet but it's worth a shot. :thunk:

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
I like to put baked beans in my chilli, I find it leads to the optimum taste and texture

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

you fool you loving louse you MORON you absolute trump l'over you're destroying your mind and your chances at not eating corn

there's a million better things you can put in the chili, like chilis. corn? you'd put CORN in your chili? why would you do this to yourself? do you know what it does to your mind? it plants it's's seeds in to your brain and it takes root, destroying the parts of your brain that let you think and feel human emotion, all it makes you feel is a white, white person's seething hatred for every living thing. it turns you in to hank rutherford hill from TV's king of the hill. you wont even want to gently caress your wife if you have one. you'll yearn for the days when you were one of the Bills of the world, free to wallow in your misery instead of thinking everything around you is a-ok, you'll start going online looking for more loving corn recipes, gently caress, you'll be making CORNBREAD! YOU'LL MAKE BREAD, OUT OF CORN. ARE YOU LISTENING? YOU MUST STOP THIS BEFORE IT DESTROYS YOUR VERY SOUL

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

How else would you make Chili Con Corne

(Realtalk: in a recent wonderful medical development, corn in most forms now makes my roommate extremely ill, and it's amazing how many delicious things involve it.)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

How else would you make Chili Con Corne

(Realtalk: in a recent wonderful medical development, corn in most forms now makes my roommate extremely ill, and it's amazing how many delicious things involve it.)

your room mate is the one. we need to take his blood and put it in other people so that they'll become sick to the stomach when they come in to contact with corn its the only way to save the human race gently caress going to mars we need to go to the anti-corn fields. anti-vaxxers are correct for the wrong reason it isn't the "mercury" or the "dihydrogen monoxide" in vaccines that make them so deadly its ALL THE loving CORN they put in there. did you know that nine out of ten corn-infested people live in europe? why do you think those fuckers cant speak english for poo poo? it's not just because they're morons, its because their tongues are slowly becoming corn husks. they will have frito mouths by the end of 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

I like it, it adds slightly more texture than the beans if you don't overcook the corn (add the frozen corns near the end). You can also do peas. Some would say peas and corn makes it a stew and not chili but tell them to stop being a food purist and eat the food, all that matters is that it's good and i'm going to call it what I feel like calling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Corn is not properly digestible by the human gut. Yet

We're doing golden rice and digestible corn is right around the corner.

poo poo, corn was one of our first genetic experiments.