Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is a 3600 replacement likely to come out anytime soon? Or competition from Intel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do you mean the 5600 which is already a replacement for the 3600? or do you mean a replacement for the 5600?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ah, sorry it seems I misunderstood AMD's naming convention. But what I was interested was an upgrade to the 3600 that's still in the same price range.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Is a 3600 replacement likely to come out anytime soon? Or competition from Intel?

AMD is going to be coming out with a 5800 and 5900 non-X, but those are supposedly going to OEMs

There has been no word of a 5600 non-X

An Intel i5-10400 is only marginally better than a Ryzen 5 3600 if you're only using 2666 MHz RAM, which you will be if you're only pairing it with an H410 / B460 board, which is appropriate since the 10400 can't be overclocked

A 10400 paired with an Z490 board, or an i5-10600K that's overclocked can be something like 10 to 15% faster than a 3600, but the platform costs will probably make this a bad deal if you already have a 3600.

It's unlikely that Rocket Lake is going to change this calculus very much.

The only real step up from a 3600 that isn't just more cores is really a 5600X... but it's also the case that you're almost certainly going to be more GPU-bound than CPU-bound, to the extent that it's not really going to be worth chasing for a 5600X either/anyway unless you've got something like a 240 Hz monitor and you're playing at 1080p/720p

If you already have a 3600, and you're not doing heavy productivity tasks where more cores would be useful, and you have enough of a budget that you're worried about costs, I'd just stick with the 3600.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Ah, sorry it seems I misunderstood AMD's naming convention. But what I was interested was an upgrade to the 3600 that's still in the same price range.

There probably won't be one at the price point you're looking at if you're comparing the older and cheaper CPUs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you already have a 3600, and you're not doing heavy productivity tasks where more cores would be useful, and you have enough of a budget that you're worried about costs, I'd just stick with the 3600.

Nope, was thinking about building a pc, and wondering whether it's worth waiting a few months. Likely won't be buying a GPU for obvious reasons, but I realized that my processor (i5 6400) is actually bottlenecking even my 970. I'll try getting the latter upgraded when things calm down a bit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Nope, was thinking about building a pc, and wondering whether it's worth waiting a few months. Likely won't be buying a GPU for obvious reasons, but I realized that my processor (i5 6400) is actually bottlenecking even my 970.

Ah.

If you're making a new build, and you're already eyeing the Ryzen 3600 as being in your price range, then:

* there isn't anything better from AMD in the same price range

* an Intel i5-10400 is going to be close enough in enough cases that if you can get this and a board for cheaper than a 3600 and a board, it's probably going to be a reasonably good deal (the reverse also applies - if the 3600+board is cheaper, then get that instead)

everything else is another tier higher in price, or another tier lower in performance (a Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X, or an Intel i3-10100, but those are 4-core/8-thread parts)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Could the i5 11400 be worth waiting for?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if the i7 11700K that got released early is any indication, not unless you need heat output

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

probably not? The early review of the 8-core i7-11700K showed that it was only marginally better than its 10th gen Intel and Ryzen 5000 peers, and even a step backwards in gaming

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if the i7 11700K that got released early is any indication, not unless you need heat output

:hmmyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rinkles posted:

Extremely unlikely

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
They're not going to crank up a lower part like the 11400 to output more heat than the sun, so it's going to have to be pretty cheap.
Maybe it matches the ryzen 3600 at way lower cost?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rinkles posted:

If you want more cores you have plenty of upgrade options. But if you're happy with 6(12) and just want a little more performance, a 5600X is a lot of money for 5-19%. 1600 or 2600 to 5600 would probably be worth it, 3600 -> 5600 isn't.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

throw in a video card doing some intensive work and...well, poo poo...I'm running a literal space heater right now that's 600 watts, so maybe I should do the obvious

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In a comical reversal of fortunes, AMD has seceded the entire low end to Intel and basically doesn't have any products there anymore, and i imagine it will stay that way until AMD has enough product on the shelf and in servers that they can justify launching lower profit parts with the same dies.

Intel has really slashed their prices lately and frankly there are some killer deals on the Intel side at the moment. 10/20 for $320, 8/16 for $220, 6/12 for $130, 4/8 for $80

Intel will give you 10 cores for basically what AMD is charging for 6 of their latest. For gaming, AMD's cheapest part is $70 more than roughly the same performance on the Intel side. Welcome to upside down town!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Cygni posted:

In a comical reversal of fortunes, AMD has seceded the entire low end to Intel and basically doesn't have any products there anymore, and i imagine it will stay that way until AMD has enough product on the shelf and in servers that they can justify launching lower profit parts with the same dies.

Intel has really slashed their prices lately and frankly there are some killer deals on the Intel side at the moment. 10/20 for $320, 8/16 for $220, 6/12 for $130, 4/8 for $80

Intel will give you 10 cores for basically what AMD is charging for 6 of their latest. For gaming, AMD's cheapest part is $70 more than roughly the same performance on the Intel side. Welcome to upside down town!

We all knew that would happen as soon has AMD dethrones Intel with the crucial slogan “fastest gaming CPU“ which was the last straw that Intel lost after Zen 3 launched.

But it’s funny that Intel indeed is dominating all price-performance ratings currently, a crown that AMD kept for years while losing like every gaming benchmark, until now.
Nice flip flop, and that we need Intel to keep AMDs high end gaming CPU prices in check would have caused laughter just a few months ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AMD has severe supply issues and if Intel know how to do one thing it’s make lots and lots of 14nm processors

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

AMD has severe supply issues and if Intel know how to do one thing it’s make lots and lots of 14nm processors

And the 14nm processors have no issues being stable.. at all. without loving with anything.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

My Ryzen 3700+ and X570 Tomahawk have been stable without having to gently caress with anything.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah that was a problem at launch for some of the earlier Zen CPUs but it's not really a major issue anymore. I have a 5900X, 3950X, and a 1800X and I didn't even have any issues with the 1800X and RAM speeds. The only instability I have ever seen was when I overclocked too far.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My 3600XT on X570 has also been perfectly stable without loving with anything. But I am content with 3200Mhz RAM

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The T is just paying $50 extra to get the best binned part, so I would sure hope it worked!

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

Noobles posted:

Well, out of the blue today my Asrock B550 just developed the USB issue after running fine for a month and a half. Hopefully they can figure something out with it soon. I’ve tried all the usual fixes and it’s still persisting.

I had the USB device drop out issue ONLY when I had two mice plugged in and active at the same time. When I unplugged the ancient USB 1.0 mouse, the problem went away entirely. I also had pretty much all the USB ports populated, and USB protocols 1 through 3 gen 1 present.

Further detail: I had a Logitech Unifying wireless receiver that a wireless keyboard & mouse connected to. In addition, I also had a USB wired keyboard and mouse connected. All USB devices would randomly crap out for about 15 seconds or so, and the only way to get an immediate fix was to unplug the old wired mouse, which immediately caused all other USB devices to function again.

Before finding the solution of pulling the ancient Dell mouse or hearing of others having a USB drop out issue, I figured that the combination of Logitech unifying wireless receiver, Wifi 802.11 AC adapter, and a Bluetooth 5 nub all being within close proximity to one another was causing some kind of interference that was locking a driver, but I've had zero issues since getting rid of the ancient wired mouse.

Motherboard is an Asus TUF Gaming B550-PLUS, BIOS version is 1401

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
gently caress it I'm gonna RMA my 5900x. My PC is still restarting randomly no matter what solutions I try. Theres a big question thread on amd where people just got newer processors so here goes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

are you saying these are the effective base prices, or that you can sometimes catch a deal in those ranges? what gen are you talking?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It took Gigabyte a week to reply to my request for a new x570 chipset fan, but they've resolved my issue. Pretty cool.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Rinkles posted:

are you saying these are the effective base prices, or that you can sometimes catch a deal in those ranges? what gen are you talking?

They’re probably referring to the motherboard and CPU bundle deals you can get on the 10XXX parts at Micro Center. Prices aren’t quite that low elsewhere, but adding $20 to those numbers gets you close in most cases.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

Those are microcenter prices right now, before the $20 board rebates which I didn’t include cause it’s the same deal for AMD. All Comet Lake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So would you recommend a i7-10700/F ($230/220) over a 3600 ($200)?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It would sorta depend on the person and what they are doing, honestly. Both are good midrange options, AMD has a better platform with better drop in upgrade options (assuming Rocket Lake is as bad as it looks) and better thermals, but the Intel side has 2 extra cores and significantly better gaming performance.

One thing to note on the non-K skus is you will have to go in the BIOS and mess with the TDP limits to get the best performance, so if it’s someone who doesn’t know how or want to do that, it likely would change the recommendation.

I honestly think the toughest part for the 8 core parts (including the 5800X) is justifying them vs the cheap as hell 6 cores that offer really similar gaming performance, and the 10 cores that aren’t that much more expensive.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Cygni posted:

It would sorta depend on the person and what they are doing, honestly. Both are good midrange options, AMD has a better platform with better drop in upgrade options (assuming Rocket Lake is as bad as it looks) and better thermals, but the Intel side has 2 extra cores and significantly better gaming performance.

One thing to note on the non-K skus is you will have to go in the BIOS and mess with the TDP limits to get the best performance, so if it’s someone who doesn’t know how or want to do that, it likely would change the recommendation.

I honestly think the toughest part for the 8 core parts (including the 5800X) is justifying them vs the cheap as hell 6 cores that offer really similar gaming performance, and the 10 cores that aren’t that much more expensive.

New consoles have 8c, so it kinda makes sense when you only upgrade the CPU like every 5 years. Also DDR5 and AM5 are coming

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

So I remember someone a while back noting that ASRock hadn't updated their BIOS for B550 in a long time, well they updated it now and it disabled per-core curve optimizer, now I might end up rolling it back. :(

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 11, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why does my MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi + 5600x sometimes have a bios time (as seen in Task Manager -> Startup) of 9 seconds and sometimes 15 seconds? :thunk:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AutismVaccine posted:

New consoles have 8c, so it kinda makes sense when you only upgrade the CPU like every 5 years. Also DDR5 and AM5 are coming

I've accepted scarcity is a thing in 2021 and am now banking hard on AM5 not being a complete poo poo-show for early adopters of the new socket.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Alchenar posted:

I've accepted scarcity is a thing in 2021 and am now banking hard on AM5 not being a complete poo poo-show for early adopters of the new socket.

That’s the lovely part, the first DDR5 will almost certainly suck, as the first wave of any new memory standard always has.

Things aren’t getting good again until 2023.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
in case anyone cares, a bit ago I got 2x Ryzen 5 3400G processors. Both bluescreened constantly. Updated bios and everything I could think of. Finally, upping the actual voltage to +.05 made them stable.

This makes me quite unhappy. WTF is going on? Mobo or processor crap.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Zen 3 below MSRP, a beautiful sight to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's the classic Microcenter loss-leader to get people into the store. A sign that normality is being restored to the universe. If you check, Microcenter always has a free 32gb flash drive for signing up to their newsletter too. One time they did Raspberri Pi Zero for $5