Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

WEN seems to be a decent player in the power tools market, ok QC and ok warranty support1, looks like $100 for their portable and a really tempting 9" $150 bench top bandsaw that might fit the bill too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

WEN seems to be a decent player in the power tools market, ok QC and ok warranty support1, looks like $100 for their portable and a really tempting 9" $150 bench top bandsaw that might fit the bill too.

I bought their drywall sander on goon advice. It's.......great for the price. I would have paid a bit more to have it go slower and not have the problem where it builds up a static charge when hooked up to a shop vac and continues to zap your hand.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's kinda what I've heard, like HF hand tools for power tools.

Have you tried rigging up a static drain on the hose out of bare copper, with like a ring terminal for a receptacle plate screw?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's definitely worth doing, at least it limits the shock to whatever will flashover half the maximum drain wire spacing. I accidentally built a van de graaf generator out of a shopvac, 20ft of 2in PVC conduit, and several hundred pounds of rockwool once and it was shocking the motherfuck out of me until I ran a drain wire down the side of the conduit. That took it from severely painful to regular old static shock level.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

That's kinda what I've heard, like HF hand tools for power tools.

Have you tried rigging up a static drain on the hose out of bare copper, with like a ring terminal for a receptacle plate screw?

No, I put on a rubber glove and sent it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This is AI if you don’t have room for a tool build a bigger shop or move.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My chop saw has been awesome with abrasive disks. It's slow to get through thick-walled stuff but it's a 100% upgrade from an angle grinder for doing straight cuts.

I hold a piece of scrap against the disk at an angle from each side to sort of sharpen it every now and then and it helps with the speed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

This is AI if you don’t have room for a tool build a bigger shop or move.
I mean, yeah, that would be cool, but I don't make enough money to own property to build a shop on, sooooo ...

Astonishing Wang posted:

My chop saw has been awesome with abrasive disks. It's slow to get through thick-walled stuff but it's a 100% upgrade from an angle grinder for doing straight cuts.

I hold a piece of scrap against the disk at an angle from each side to sort of sharpen it every now and then and it helps with the speed.
I'm glad I wasn't crazy to think this was doable, but I think a band saw is still going to give more accurate/better cuts.

I'm liking the portaband / table idea, but I'm currently wrestling with which saw to combine it with - I realized the table that's compatible with the $100 WEN is not compatible with the higher end Milwaukee, so upgrading later if I don't like the saw would be problematic. Currently searching for the sweet spot that lets me choose between a cheap saw and a definitely good saw.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone in here really afford the poo poo they do with cars? A financial advisor would certainly scream at me about my habits.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm 99.9% certain the flare itself is just sized based on the tubing and is the same even if the thread on the nut varies - at least, I've never done a different flare for brake lines with different threads on either end :v:

If you're fine with doing them in a bench vise, $350 would way more than cover the Eastwood flaring tool. Hell, you could probably buy the 37 degree die kit for it too if you want to do any AN/JIC hardlines. If you want to do them on the car you'd want to look for one of the "inline" flaring tools but a quick search isn't showing me any of those that do bubble flares.

Hmm, that one looks pretty nice. I'll give it a try. Kinda sucks that the lines need to come out to be flared, but that is better than the alternative of a bad flare.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 17, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

um excuse me posted:

Can anyone in here really afford the poo poo they do with cars? A financial advisor would certainly scream at me about my habits.

Yeah. Only because I don't do anything with them. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I definitely have spent mid 5 figures on shitboxes over the last 12 years and shouldn't have.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah. Only because I don't do anything with them. :colbert:

It is certainly cheaper that way

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

kastein posted:

I definitely have spent mid 5 figures on shitboxes over the last 12 years and shouldn't have.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I've got all the receipts for my civic in a folder and have very intentionally never totaled that up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

I've got all the receipts for my civic in a folder and have very intentionally never totaled that up.

I keep a lot of that poo poo in spreadsheets. But I have a rule: DO NOT =SUM. Ever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Incoming BWM

My financial anxiety went down when I stopped tracking budget categories and instead created a monthly updated spreadsheet to track net worth broken down by:

Cash, taxable investments, 401k, ira, hsa, vehicles, real estate and then my only debt, which is a mortgage

I know I am maxing out my tax advantaged space and NW is moving in the correct direction so I don't bother stressing about it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Motronic posted:

I keep a lot of that poo poo in spreadsheets. But I have a rule: DO NOT =SUM. Ever.

I broke that rule on the Honcho and was actually very pleasantly surprised, and I put everything I could think on it down to ten cent nuts I bought at klems. I think I'm gonna continue this trend just to see what happens on the next project.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm, that one looks pretty nice. I'll give it a try. Kinda sucks that the lines need to come out to be flared, but that is better than the alternative of a bad flare.

You can get a 3/16 double-flare "inline" tool like this one for next to nothing and be able to easily accomplish any non-bubble-flare on the vehicle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, but the Honco is actually worth it.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Do you all factor tools into your project expenses?

Example: I had to buy a ball joint puller for the last truck project. I included it in what I spent on that project, even though I still have the tool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Advent Horizon posted:

Example: I had to buy a ball joint puller for the last truck project. I included it in what I spent on that project, even though I still have the tool.

I count "one time use" stuff like HF garbage or like, a particular scanner/software if it's just for that project. But if it's a general tool that's a shop expense.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can get a 3/16 double-flare "inline" tool like this one for next to nothing and be able to easily accomplish any non-bubble-flare on the vehicle.

Sold! After kinda reworking what I was thinking I really only need bubble flares on lines that I haven't built yet, so this will work for what I can't easily remove.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Advent Horizon posted:

Hell no. Tools save money obviously, since you're not going to pay someone else. You gotta deduct those costs actually.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

um excuse me posted:

I drive a Corolla so yeah, I'm good.
If I buy a Fox body next year then maybe not so much......

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

Hell no. Tools save money obviously, since you're not going to pay someone else. You gotta deduct those costs actually.

That is the proper mindset.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

It is certainly cheaper that way

My previous strategy was

buy car
Fix/mod to my liking
Get bored then sell for what I paid or slightly less

After several cars following that strategy in way too short of a time period I got smarter. But only very slightly. Someday I'll get something fun to play with again that hopefully will keep me entertained for a bit. I almost went the race car route but pussied out when looking at all the costs.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

kastein posted:

I’ve about broken even on purchases of cars, but I’ve spent way too much on parts and tires.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

The more you buy, the more you save.

My mistake was listening to AI and buying a miata as my first car. I'm still not bored and it doesn't really need anything apart from bodywork.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Tools don't count

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I just look up how much it would cost to fix at a shop. Then add up the parts and any special tools I don't already have that I'd need. As long as parts + tools is less than the shop, I'm coming out ahead.

But don't listen to me. I've spend $8-9k on maintaining a 16 year old Subaru in the last two years, because it's the devil I know vs buying someone else's used & abused EJ255 car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's like the dealer warranty thing. "I am coming out way ahead by paying for the total warranty, best decision ever!". Dude, if you're car didn't break all the time you wouldn't have needed it to begin with. It's not a good thing!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

um excuse me posted:

It's like the dealer warranty thing. "I am coming out way ahead by paying for the total warranty, best decision ever!". Dude, if you're car didn't break all the time you wouldn't have needed it to begin with. It's not a good thing!

Wait a minute what side are you on?

We all agreed that buying tools is a negative cost, since it saves money you'd have to spend when something needs to be fixed which is out of your control.

Like how my brakes are broken because they're unassisted drums. That wasn't my fault! I'm saving thousands of dollars over having someone work on it and of course saving money by not crashing. Really I'd be losing money not to. There's no other option!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

um excuse me posted:

there's "afford" as used by people who think having a mortgage is "financial stress", and there's "afford" as used by people choosing between meds and rent

e: the latter are probably not posting in the tools thread in the car forum on a dead gay comedy forum tho

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I got to cheat by buying most of my tools when it was a work expense. And by cheat I mean I spent a god damned fortune on tools while being underpaid for how hard the work was and thinking I was smart at the time.

For what I've bought since cars became a hobby again I look at it as a time thing. Opportunity cost I guess.

I think it's only a hard question on a single use tool. A single use widget fixer is way harder to justify than a constant use tool. Go big on the welder, air compressor, impact, bandsaw etc.

If the tools, parts and time breaks even with letting someone else do it at least you're up the tools. I'd you ever need it again...

https://youtu.be/dLpsbp9JYEE

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

Wait a minute what side are you on?

We all agreed that buying tools is a negative cost, since it saves money you'd have to spend when something needs to be fixed which is out of your control.

Like how my brakes are broken because they're unassisted drums. That wasn't my fault! I'm saving thousands of dollars over having someone work on it and of course saving money by not crashing. Really I'd be losing money not to. There's no other option!

I'm on the side of spending tools as an asset isn't really money saved if you never needed the tools to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I used buying tools as an "investment" for many years. But if it's to modify cars and not strictly repair them, it's part of the cost of car projects. The most recent tool I got strictly for maintenance is the oil evacuator.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I want to paint the springs from my hood hinges, and really do it right by taking the spring off and painting it stretched. Any suggestions to either buy or make a tool for this?

I was thinking I can just copy this dudes patent.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20150190913

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I count tools into the budget if I'm not likely to ever use them again, or I bought them just for that project. For example my mpvi2 went into the Honcho's budget, though I might take it out or prorate it a bit if I end up LS swapping the MJ and Roadmaster using it, or if I do enough side work with it to pay for it. But my MIG welder and brake line flaring kit I don't count towards it because I've owned them for years and used them on half a dozen vehicles each.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

there's "afford" as used by people who think having a mortgage is "financial stress", and there's "afford" as used by people choosing between meds and rent

e: the latter are probably not posting in the tools thread in the car forum on a dead gay comedy forum tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Tools don't count

Especially if you can get the box in the trash without anyone noticing…

I did some TOOLS today.

Got a kit to convert the M12 cutoff tool to use the HF 3/8” bandsaw head. It’s badass.

Then I did this:

Oops?

Seems…dangerous.

Now it should make sense. I made a ghetto portable planishing hammer for smoothing welds. I can hold a dolly with one hand and the hammer in the other and control it with the foot pedal. Sort of like TIG but hammer.