Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'm actually planning on doing an NG+ when all the DLC is out because I had a criminally brief period where I was a bomb expert with piles and piles of tier 3 bombs (nine of each kind, I think) that broke into clusters to the point where my roommate got irritated with me because the sheer amount of cluster munitions going off in any given battle was rumbling through the house. It's a fun way to play the late game when you have the high level recipes for things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Re: Wicther 3 and post-game content.

As others have said you can keep playing after the end, but note that chronologically you are put back into the world before the point of no return. That means you can complete sidequests and hunts, but there isn't anything new to explore in terms of epilogue, because the end hasn't happened yet.

You can do a bit of prep work if you want to do a NG+, since money, potion/bomb recipes and potions/bombs carry over, but be aware that armour and weapon schematics do not. You keep your gear, but not the plans to make new ones in NG+.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm finally getting down with République. So far it looks like a neat little 3rd person stealth game. Anything important to know before setting out, for example does running away from/alerting guards screw me over in the long run if I play a bit too recklessly? Also how does one save?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The first three episodes of Republique are all connected, so don't worry about missing collectibles. You can still go back and forth until the ending of the third one, which is an obvious point of no return.

There is no real punishment for being spotted or captured. If you're spotted guards will chase you and hang around for a bit, but eventually they just go back to their routine. If you are captured you are transported to one of many holding cells which the game has. You can just hack those open once the guy who arrested you takes off.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Sigh ..

Okay goons check this poo poo out. I recently got Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection.

I played through Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I'm on the tail end of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves blind.

I really liked what the first game had going on. The gunplay was nothing to write home about. It worked I guess? It wasn't terrible, and the game actually had what I thought to be a simple but enjoyable melee system. I had a pretty fair idea of the opposition and the enemies weren't excruciatingly plentiful.

So here I am at the near end(?) of Uncharted 2 when bogyman tribals start showing up in Shambhala. Boy did the fire from the first game just straight drop off. First of all, I have no idea who the main bad guy is. Is it supposed to be that Mr. Clean motherfucker? Because his name is hard to pronounce much less spell so I won't even begin to try. I keep hearing that the second game improved the shooting but all I see is a ton of accidental cover snaps when I mean to dodge roll away (which I do out of reflex because gently caress sprint buttons in .. what year was it, 2009?)

I did not have fun getting to this point. A lot of the "cinematic" bits were so dumb because I become an absolute retard when the camera starts moving and I tend to not outpace the screen moving when obstacles I climb / run on start falling apart.

Anyway, my plan is to clench my buttcheeks and finish this dumpster fire of a game and move on to Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

Anything I should know before I subject myself to the conclusion of this shitfest? Did the cover shooting get better between 2 and 3?

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 11, 2016

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I can't say whether the shooting's better or worse as I never had a problem with the shooting or controls in any of the Uncharted games, but overall Uncharted 2 is far and away the high point of the series. Also, replacing normal enemies with supernatural ones that break the pacing of the gameplay in the final 20% of the game is repeated in Uncharted 3.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I guess I was bitching more towards, "You know what the guy playing this game needs? MORE BULLET SPONGES WITH SHOTGUNS!" I guess if Among Thieves is considered the highpoint, I'm in for the fizzle out of a lifetime.

:smith:

But who knows! I'm in the minority for 2 (I liked 1 better) so maybe I'll like 3! :shepicide:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

NT Plus posted:

Sigh ..

Okay goons check this poo poo out. I recently got Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection.

I played through Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and I'm on the tail end of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves blind.

I really liked what the first game had going on. The gunplay was nothing to write home about. It worked I guess? It wasn't terrible, and the game actually had what I thought to be a simple but enjoyable melee system. I had a pretty fair idea of the opposition and the enemies weren't excruciatingly plentiful.

So here I am at the near end(?) of Uncharted 2 when bogyman tribals start showing up in Shambhala. Boy did the fire from the first game just straight drop off. First of all, I have no idea who the main bad guy is. Is it supposed to be that Mr. Clean motherfucker? Because his name is hard to pronounce much less spell so I won't even begin to try. I keep hearing that the second game improved the shooting but all I see is a ton of accidental cover snaps when I mean to dodge roll away (which I do out of reflex because gently caress sprint buttons in .. what year was it, 2009?)

I did not have fun getting to this point. A lot of the "cinematic" bits were so dumb because I become an absolute retard when the camera starts moving and I tend to not outpace the screen moving when obstacles I climb / run on start falling apart.

Anyway, my plan is to clench my buttcheeks and finish this dumpster fire of a game and move on to Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

Anything I should know before I subject myself to the conclusion of this shitfest? Did the cover shooting get better between 2 and 3?

If you're using cover constantly you're doing it wrong. The autoaim when you fire without aiming is very generous, just use that and punch people in the face when you get close.

and regarding the Shambala guardians, use explosives or the golden crossbows they drop. The blue sap stuff is explosive too, shoot that when bad guys are near it.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Spalec posted:

the golden crossbows they drop.

:psyboom: I literally just did this and the fucker dropped in like 2 shots to the arm. What the actual gently caress.

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 11, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You'd think the cutscenes when they show up that show that regular guns are ineffective would have shown you something :v:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Also the end of uncharted 2 is by far the worst part of the game

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You'd think the cutscenes when they show up that show that regular guns are ineffective would have shown you something :v:

Yeah nothing about that says "Yo you should use the primitives' weapons against the primitives!!" Laws of physics (which have admittedly been defied continually thus far in the franchise) dictate 5.56×45 mm NATO > crossbow bolt.

:colbert:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Kind of a bad question, because the game has been out for 24 hours, but I expect someone has already dug into the mechanics: In Dark Souls 3, are there any trap stats, like Agility in DS 2?

I don't want to dive into the thread here or look the answer online, because I've come unspoiled to this one, for once.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Fat Samurai posted:

Kind of a bad question, because the game has been out for 24 hours, but I expect someone has already dug into the mechanics: In Dark Souls 3, are there any trap stats, like Agility in DS 2?

I don't want to dive into the thread here or look the answer online, because I've come unspoiled to this one, for once.

Luck seems like a trap unless you're doing a pretty specific (and probably PvP) bleed or poison build. Everything else looks solid enough.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fat Samurai posted:

Launch ideas about every dark souls game have been a mess with nothing becoming concrete until much later after release, so I'd just push onwards with whatever you're doing.

(Remember when people were saying you Absolutely Had To get the sword from the drake's tail in the first Dark Souls?)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I don't see anything in the Wiki. Any tips for Neptunia Rebirth 1? I'm looking for mostly combat\stat tips but anything is helpful

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there anything helpful for Space Engineers (besides play the tutorials)? I was playing the tutorials but I've hit a snag (and by snag I mean wall and died a few times) in the jetpack one and until I pass that I can't do the other tutorials and I'd like to start dicking with a proper game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

You don't really need to play the tutorials. If you're new, my biggest suggestion would be to start with one of the setups that gives you a lot of starting stuff in terms of ship/station platform and just play around with that stuff for a while. Don't worry about tearing it up cuz you can always just start over and get it all back. Play around with the starting stuff and then think about how you could make those ships better. Check out the platform/station setup you have and think about how you could make it better. Try building a ship of your own! Fail miserably several times! It's all part of the game.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

You can also respec something like 5 times per NG cycle, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Fat Samurai posted:

This is a dumb reply because I don't actually have an answer to your question, but wasn't agility good to get up to a specific break point and then never touch again? I don't think there are any trap stats though. If my memory serves me, we're basically back to the DS1 list

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

You can probably get away with googling "dark souls 3 soft caps" and you probably won't run into any spoilers.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Glagha posted:

This is a dumb reply because I don't actually have an answer to your question, but wasn't agility good to get up to a specific break point and then never touch again? I don't think there are any trap stats though. If my memory serves me, we're basically back to the DS1 list

Agility capped at 116 which increased your rolling invincibility frames, spell casting speed, how fast you raise your shield and flask. You got Agility through mostly Adaptability and some from Attunement. Kind of a pain in the rear end if you weren't using shields.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

juliuspringle posted:

Is there anything helpful for Space Engineers (besides play the tutorials)? I was playing the tutorials but I've hit a snag (and by snag I mean wall and died a few times) in the jetpack one and until I pass that I can't do the other tutorials and I'd like to start dicking with a proper game.

I'm betting you pressed (or forgot to press) the Z button and turned off your Inertial Dampeners. Some of the controls are a real pain to figure out initially, but you get it eventually.

There's also a thread in Games for it here.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Glagha posted:

This is a dumb reply because I don't actually have an answer to your question, but wasn't agility good to get up to a specific break point and then never touch again?

Yeah, by trap I meant "you better raise this apparently unimportant stat because otherwise you're not going to dodge anything ever". Probably could have defined it better.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, by trap I meant "you better raise this apparently unimportant stat because otherwise you're not going to dodge anything ever". Probably could have defined it better.

Tying iFrames to a stat was the worst mechanic Dark Souls 2 brought to the franchise. In Dark Souls 3 there seems to be no trap stat but it varies by build. Generally you want to get your Strength and Dexterity up to a soft cap. Right now we have no idea what that is but I'd say 20/20 starting out will get you able to wield most weapons and get some decent damage out of them for the start game. Then come your defenses which I dump into the HP stat (I don't remember whether it's Vigor or Vitality. Probs Vigor though). You can do this in reverse order too if you feel the first segment of the game is giving you a hard time. Or gently caress it, throw in some Faith and Intelligence for your spells of choice and go glass cannon nuts.

I beat Uncharted 2 and I'll agree the last 20% is the worst part of it. I liked the game (especially the part where you need to make tricky use of a sign you're hanging onto). But that last bit dragged down an otherwise stellar addition to the franchise.

I think I figured out the issue however. I read somewhere that they integrated the shooting mechanics for the third game (for better or worse) into the previous two which (kind of?) explains why I found the cover shooting to be a bit worse than I remember on PS3 because I believe you just had to hug the cover and Nate would get into it. But general advice of auto-aim 'n' spray actually made the gun fights much more tolerable. Enemies just melt when you spray them with anything.

:getin:

So thanks guys~! I think I'm going to take a break from Uncharted for now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm playing a bunch of retro crap for fun (as I am wont to do), so I'd love anything for Final Fantasy 1 (NES version), 4, and 6 (SNES versions).

Buying potions from the store and using them is a good way to increase your survivability at a certain point in the game, probably around the time you reach the earth cave. You've got a ton of inventory space that you may as well use.

The boss guarding the float stone is set to the tile and can be fought repeatedly. If your entire party is wearing prorings you should be able to kill him with ease.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MrSlam posted:

Space Station 13

Go with chaplain, chef, or staff assistant at the start--nothing is expected of those roles, so you can spend some rounds getting used to the UI and figuring out how things work.

The chaplain starts with a bible, which you can hit people with to heal them a little if things are going to poo poo. It's also not unusual for a chaplain to be seen dragging a coffin throughout the station, so if you hide a body or something in one, people are less likely to be suspicious.

Chef is fun and gives you a chance to work out how to interact with items. Making food is pretty easy when you get the hang of it, and the bar is right around the corner, so you can go grab booze to put in all your food if you want everyone that eats it to get drunk. You can make requests of botany to send you ingredients, but they don't always listen.

Staff assistants are pretty generic, but have access to tech storage and tool storage. This is a good job to pick once you've gotten used to the controls and UI--you can run around apprenticing in order to learn how the other jobs work.

Janitor is fun, but your mop bucket will probably get hidden or spaced at some point. If it does and you're not done wetting floors yet, fill some spray bottles with water. If you want to be nice, you start with some "WET FLOOR" signs and a sponge (which will dry wet floors) in your janitor's closet. As a janitor, you start with galoshes, too, which make you immune to wet floors.

Bartender starts with a gun, which makes you both useful against antagonists and likely to be targeted by them.

Don't pick captain, head of personnel, head of security, or detective when you're still a newbie. These jobs are pretty tough. Chief engineer is hard at the start, too. Definitely intern under one for a while or at least read a guide to setting the engine up before trying it.

Also, if you die before the round ends, you become a ghost. You can use that time to float around watching what people are doing. You might see something that inspires you to try it next round!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Captain is not a hard job, and people expect you to be a bumbling incompetent lunatic beating themselves with their own shoes anyway.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Buying potions from the store and using them is a good way to increase your survivability at a certain point in the game, probably around the time you reach the earth cave. You've got a ton of inventory space that you may as well use.

The boss guarding the float stone is set to the tile and can be fought repeatedly. If your entire party is wearing prorings you should be able to kill him with ease.

The Marsh Cave, as someone else mentioned, is the first (and sort of only) really big hump to get over.

I recommend you grind by fighting the ogres on the patch of plains North East of the elf town. Get enough money so that whoever can use one can get a silver sword. Also, get a cottage to use right before you enter the cave. It will save your game so if you have some lovely encounters, it's not the end of the world. If I remember right, most of the treasure in the cave is rear end, so you don't need to worry about exploring fully.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

The Marsh Cave, as someone else mentioned, is the first (and sort of only) really big hump to get over.

I recommend you grind by fighting the ogres on the patch of plains North East of the elf town. Get enough money so that whoever can use one can get a silver sword. Also, get a cottage to use right before you enter the cave. It will save your game so if you have some lovely encounters, it's not the end of the world. If I remember right, most of the treasure in the cave is rear end, so you don't need to worry about exploring fully.

IIRC the stuff on the bottom floor is what you're after anyway treasure and plot-wise, but you'll have to get through a tough encounter first. Grind grind grind.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

It turns out I've ALSO never played rear end Creed Revelations. Besides Old Ezio looks way more awesomer what's some stuff I need to know.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

juliuspringle posted:

It turns out I've ALSO never played rear end Creed Revelations. Besides Old Ezio looks way more awesomer what's some stuff I need to know.

Don't let the tower defense minigame scare you off. You have the one that you need to do for the story and further ones take some serious effort to trigger.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Don't let the tower defense minigame scare you off. You have the one that you need to do for the story and further ones take some serious effort to trigger.

Seriously, I went through all of Revelations without it triggering once.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

juliuspringle posted:

You can craft bombs in the radial menu, you don't have to go to a bomb crafting station unless you want to change what type you're carrying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hannibal Smith posted:

You can craft bombs in the radial menu, you don't have to go to a bomb crafting station unless you want to change what type you're carrying.

And on that note, here are all you really need for the entire game;

Datura Gas, wide radius, impact shell.
Smoke, ditto, ditto
Noisemaker, same, same.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Please tell me I get something amazing for doing that stupid 3d platforming crap.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And on that note, here are all you really need for the entire game;

Datura Gas, wide radius, impact shell.
Smoke, ditto, ditto
Noisemaker, same, same.

I've played revelations two or three times and I literally don't think I used a bomb outside of the tutorial, you don't even need them.

Not to say they aren't useful but if you really loathe the idea of thinking about how to use bombs, you don't need to.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously, I went through all of Revelations without it triggering once.

Even if you do trigger it, you can ignore it, can't you? Been a while since I played, but IIRC you can just go back and re-unlock the sector if you do gently caress up and let it get captured (which is really easy to avoid by ripping down a wanted poster now and then).

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

So am I right in believing that the only thing I get for finding all those squares in the Desmond Journey bits is some stupid multiplayer poo poo I'll never use? I'm having trouble finding a reason to care about doing them because I absolutely hated the Lost Archive.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Some good advice for the entire assassin's creed series is to never do more side poo poo than you actually want to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Some good advice for the entire assassin's creed series is to never do more side poo poo than you actually want to do

I'm kind of a whore for story but if there is absolutely zero single player reason for them I think I'm just going to ignore them as much as possible (and probably celebrate when Desmond dies which I hear is a thing that happens in either Revelations or III) because my interest in the modern stuff has gone from a fair bit to gently caress that guy..