Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carbon dioxide posted:

Dutch town police is going to put this high-vis police figure in pedestrian-only shopping streets 'at random times' in order to scare cyclists off their bikes.
Even before the internet and smart phones where an app will tell you where the latest traffic gimmick is within 5 minutes, these gimmicks used to last like 2 weeks before they give up because any offender they would work on are just taught to ignore the silhouette and now you have offenders who might have slowed down for a real traffic cop blowing past them. Which might be great for ticket revenue but if you're looking for actual traffic calming or safety improvements, not exactly a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Deteriorata posted:

No, it's a sewage leak at a movie theater. It's just wet.

Lurking Haro posted:

Reverse image search says it's sewage in a cinema.

Yeah, I had to reverse image search it myself, since I couldn't believe my second impression. My first impression was that the floor had just fallen away - the reflection fooled me on the thumbnail.

Lurking Haro posted:

Wouldn't the reflection on mercury be brighter since it's essentially a mirror?

I've never seen that much mercury in bulk, and quite frankly, never want to unless it's in a video. Hosted in a server on the other side of the world, just in case. :v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I've never seen that much mercury in bulk, and quite frankly, never want to unless it's in a video. Hosted in a server on the other side of the world, just in case. :v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:stonk:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Huh. So I guess we know how Steve Jobs got that cancer.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/DZ6mdhT.webm

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

quote:

I grew up in [location deleted] and my father worked in the high power tube division of [company name deleted]. They would periodically have open house tours. I remember well one at about age 7.

The plant where large [product name deleted] tubes were assembled was a large barn with a hard packed oily dirt floor. Some of these tubes were larger than 55 gallon drums; control rectifiers for pumped storage power plants, etc. There were open 55 gallon drums of mercury around to fill them. One of the tour demos was to see if you were able to completely immerse your arm in a drum of mercury. I remember the feeling of almost being lifted off the ground by the buoyancy of my arm deep in the barrel.

The floor was covered with puddles of mercury. People worked there 8-10 hours a day. I never heard of anyone being poisoned. Of course one wouldn't, would one.

My father occasionally brought home small amounts of mercury for me to play with. I had a couple of pounds at one time but gradually lost most of it. That was fifty years ago. I'm still here. - source

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KzmlIEsHs

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Yeah, I think metallic Mercury isn't terribly bad for you (I mean, I wouldn't drink gallons or whatever), it's really the oxides when they're inhaled that do you in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yeah, I think metallic Mercury isn't terribly bad for you (I mean, I wouldn't drink gallons or whatever), it's really the oxides when they're inhaled that do you in.

I thought inhaling elemental Hg vapor was super bad. But skin contact (as long as you don't have any cuts) or even ingesting tiny amounts in its raw, elemental state wasn't that harmful.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

didn’t people use to drink it as a laxative

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yea. but it just does that bc it's a slug of liquid metal that cleans the whole system out, right on down the line.

they did also used to give people various salts and compounds of mercury as medication though and that worked about as well as you would expect

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

Dutch town police is going to put this high-vis police figure in pedestrian-only shopping streets 'at random times' in order to scare cyclists off their bikes.

Should outfit the cutout with a high-vis vest, until it gets stolen. :lol:

Police around here occasionally park an extra cruiser in the spiderhole or off-street near school zones at the start of the year, and will randomly drop off/pick up other cops depending on the shift. Good for the occasional lol, because they sometimes ignore the empty cruiser, but neglect the motorbike in the opposite direction manning the speed gun.

Potrzebie posted:

Well actually it seems milk causes brittle bones. And death. Source in English. http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=6003968

Early study, and Swedish only. Entirely possible it's linked to a vitamin D deficiency, but there's a ton of things to point out that one study might not account for. Statistician's old saw: correlation is not causation.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Cody of Cody's Lab did the arm in mercury while attempting to use it to flush a toilet, and according to him, the only way metallic mercury gets in you is if you have an open wound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVaaZ21C44

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Calomel (mercury(I) chloride) was used medicinally into the 20th century. It was useful for a laxative, as well as for killing intestinal parasites and as a treatment for syphilis.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

My mom would get the mercury from thermometers and let us play with it. She told us if we put a penny in mercury it would turn silver in time. I would have fun rolling the mercury in a pill bottle over my penny. It never changed color.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Piggy Smalls posted:

My mom would get the mercury from thermometers and let us play with it. She told us if we put a penny in mercury it would turn silver in time. I would have fun rolling the mercury in a pill bottle over my penny. It never changed color.

It has to be a brand new, or newly cleaned, penny. A layer of oxide will keep the mercury from amalgamating with the copper underneath.

I was really bummed when I found out the silver would turn back into copper over time as the mercury evaporated out of it (because that meant it wasn't really silver and it was just a dumb trick).

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Deteriorata posted:

It has to be a brand new, or newly cleaned, penny. A layer of oxide will keep the mercury from amalgamating with the copper underneath.

I was really bummed when I found out the silver would turn back into copper over time as the mercury evaporated out of it (because that meant it wasn't really silver and it was just a dumb trick).

Darn. Wish I would have known.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

Spinning the earth at 200rpm sounds like a great solution to that whole "using fuel to reach escape velocity" problem!

.45c at the equator. Noice.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought inhaling elemental Hg vapor was super bad. But skin contact (as long as you don't have any cuts) or even ingesting tiny amounts in its raw, elemental state wasn't that harmful.

The vapors bad yeah. It can't really cross through to the blood stream via digestive tract or unbroken skin easily.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The guys outside my workplace are installing another of those crap-receiving platforms. This one actually looks new.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Lactating women.

Mmm, luxury milk.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Maybe about time to link this again.

Choice quote:

quote:

The boy who smoked the mercury-dipped cigarette began coughing up blood. 

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Decided to see if my itch cream was any good. https://www.epharmapedia.com/medicine/profile/206403/Stop-Itch.html?lang=en&tab=druginfo

quote:

Adverse reactions:
Hypersensitivity reactions have occurred. Effects on the eyes. Ocular and periorbital angioedema occurring within 4 hours of use of a contact lens cleansing solution containing papain has been reported.1 Extensive destruction of the oesophageal wall, with perforation, resulted from the use of a papain suspension given to treat an obstruction caused by impacted meat.1 The patient had been given 1.2 g of papain over a 12-hour period. Ten days after a thoracotomy, the descending thoracic aorta ruptured, and she died from haemorrhage.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Dillbag posted:

Maybe about time to link this again.

Choice quote:

“MARCO!”
“Hey Fogman may I grip a cig?”
“Sure! Smoke up!”
“AAUUGGHHH WHAT DID YOU DO?!?”
“I merc’ed it DeMarco!”

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

when someone does something inexplicably stupid I wish I could peer into their mind and take a look at the thought process that resulted in it

Like how do you arrive at lacing a cigarette with mercury and smoking it

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hot dogs claim another victim.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BattleMaster posted:

when someone does something inexplicably stupid I wish I could peer into their mind and take a look at the thought process that resulted in it

These guys might be able to provide some insight if any of them were still alive (doubtful).

Thallium Poisoning - Other Notable Cases

quote:

In June 2004, 25 Russian soldiers earned Honorable Mentions in the Darwin Awards after becoming ill from thallium exposure when they found a can of mysterious white powder in a rubbish dump on their base at Khabarovsk in the Russian Far East. Oblivious to the danger of misusing an unidentified white powder from a military dump site, the conscripts added it to tobacco, and used it as a substitute for talcum powder on their feet

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nm

Kith fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 18, 2019

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Your grandpa is going to kill himself and his wife

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A factory blew up in China, at least 2 dead, 30 injured, multiple buildings collapsed or were heavily damaged.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42126985

Some interesting facts in the article though....

quote:

Industrial accidents are common in China, and have prompted growing calls for better safety standards.

The government says it has been tightening site inspections and toughening punishments for safety lapses.

But while the number of workplace deaths in 2017 is reported to have fallen by more than 25% on 2016 - industrial fatalities still number at least 29,000 in the year to date.

:stare:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

"It was ruled murder/suicide by OSHA".

:doink:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

Reverse image search says it's sewage in a cinema.

Some say it's from an Emoji movie screening :v:
Potato potato.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZnypfngbt4&t=570s

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattleMaster posted:

Wasn't there a thing 20 years ago where people were dipping cigarettes in formaldehyde to get high? Who was the first guy to think of that? Apparently folks will dip anything in anything to see if it lets them get high.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't get it

Would've been funnier and more OSHA if the other one didn't have a floor

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

verbal enema posted:

I know. The whole family is waiting for it to happen. The best we can do right now is hope that whatever happens takes him and leaves my grandmother alone.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wasn't there a thing 20 years ago where people were dipping cigarettes in formaldehyde to get high? Who was the first guy to think of that? Apparently folks will dip anything in anything to see if it lets them get high.
I think it was more the 80s than late 90s, don't know if it worked, but from mortuary school I know most chemical distributors changed their formulas (it's all specialty mixes not just barrels of formaldehyde) because there were cases of stolen deliveries and people poisoning themselves.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
I imagine it was the same thought process that makes goldschlager a thing.
"This stuff is valuable, I'll eat/smoke/drink some to look cooler."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Power Bottom posted:

I know. The whole family is waiting for it to happen. The best we can do right now is hope that whatever happens takes him and leaves my grandmother alone.

Have you had him go through testing for dementia? Or a medical competence examination?