Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ok so my finances almost got hosed (it'll be fine) but as I was ordering this "back-ordered" JEM7V there was one clearing into inventory and it's shipping. Scheduled for delivery on Tuesday.

Um.

Will be posting pics much sooner than expected!

This seems to happen when people back-order guitars :v:

I'm getting super antsy for my axion label!!

e: In more recent purchases I bought a nice wall hanger, gonna need to dig up the stud finder to install it but hopefully i can get it close to my desk but we'll see!

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

e: In more recent purchases I bought a nice wall hanger, gonna need to dig up the stud finder to install it but hopefully i can get it close to my desk but we'll see!
Yeah I am trying not to read anything too fishy into the "backordered O wait someone bought one now we have FOUR" experience. It doesn't change anything about my desire to own the instrument and the finances are already worked out, so hooray come on home!

I am in an apartment but I am glad you brought up wall hangers because I was just thinking about them this morning on my way into work. I have a stud-finder but it doesn't seem to work. I was trying to decide if I want to buy some wall hangers for my music area or just buy a couple new stands.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Traded for a Redbear Mk120 full stack. Sounds loud but is much more versatile than my 6505+ was. https://imgur.com/gallery/s4V8gb0

Krustic fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 4, 2019

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

rickiep00h posted:

I wish there were something like a "casual" DJ. That poo poo requires so much detail work, and I'd much rather bash a guitar or make weird whale farts with a synth to get something approaching music than crate diving, beatmatching, sample-tweaking, and reading a crowd. Playlists? That I can do. Actually DJing? gently caress no. Gonna leave that poo poo to the pros.

I know people who get paid to do DJ gigs, and do none of these things. My one buddy just picks up the needle from one record, then drops it onto the next one. Dead air? Who cares, everyone's wasted anyway.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

I wish there were something like a "casual" DJ. That poo poo requires so much detail work, and I'd much rather bash a guitar or make weird whale farts with a synth to get something approaching music than crate diving, beatmatching, sample-tweaking, and reading a crowd. Playlists? That I can do. Actually DJing? gently caress no. Gonna leave that poo poo to the pros.

Sounds like you'd enjoy public/community radio, I play whatever heck I want. It's good fun.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Juaguocio posted:

I know people who get paid to do DJ gigs, and do none of these things. My one buddy just picks up the needle from one record, then drops it onto the next one. Dead air? Who cares, everyone's wasted anyway.

~~~TRAIN HORNS; BWAHH BWAH BWAHHHHHH~~~

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
DJs come in a lot of different styles. Many of them don't know what a hi pass filter is.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My comment was more about the skills part of DJing in like a production or performance environment less than your average wedding or club donk. I’ve done radio DJ poo poo before and that’s enjoyable enough, but I’m more talking the creative part of it. My level of ability and commitment is more along the lines of “lazy mashups” and that’s just not interesting or cool or requires anything more specialized than, like, Audacity and/or Spotify.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's been a frustrating few days.

I guess that's what happens when you order a dream guitar and it arrives to your house on your second day of the work week and you only have a few hours with it after work each night.

My new JEM7V arrived Wednesday and I can happily confirm that it is magnificent. If you enjoy the way an Ibanez JEM or RG plays, then this instrument absolutely will meet or surpass any expectation or requirement you might have for the way one should feel or play. I've been over every square centimeter of this neck and it is flawless. It is perfect. The rosewood is tightly grained and fairly dark. The inlay work is impeccable. The fret-dressing and fret-ends are just uniformly perfect. And now that I have removed the stock strings and installed DR Tite-Fit JH-10s (I had to rob a tremolo spring from my old Kramer Striker 300ST to put a fourth spring on this bridge because it didn't come with any extra springs, and I have used all my spares) and I have let the guitar rest at 1/2-step down before adjusting the truss rod and trem posts to dial in the relief and action, I can report that the frets are also just perfectly level.

After the string change I thought maybe the guitar, which should be almost furiously bright acoustically, might be a tad dark. But the action was a little high and when I brought it down to where the strings start to spank just a tiny bit, that JEM brightness just leapt out of the thing. I could not, under any circumstances, be happier!

That said, I haven't even plugged it in. Hence the frustration. I have to wait until my day off to plug it in, and I already know what to expect because my JEM70V-SFG came with these same pickups. I'll be honest about that: The neck Evolution is really cool. The JEM single is exceptionally cool. The bridge Evolution is not really my cup of tea. I prefer something like a Pearly Gates or a Custom Custom, or if I want something extra, a JB. I am not planning to stick a soldering iron in this guitar, though, so stock pickups will be great especially since they clean up so brilliantly with the volume knob.

I had been expecting to treat it as a "case queen" and only take it out from time to time; but now that I have held it and worked on it, I have to play it. I will not be treating it as a museum piece. There's no point in that anyway because I am not selling it ever. Resale value will be a problem for whomever has to deal with it after I am gone. I took all the protective plastic off the covers and pickguard. I love the way it looks, I love the way it feels. It is so incredible. I have three other Ibanez guitars that I feel hold up to this level of scrutiny: The JEM77FP, the RG770DX, and the USA Custom Exotic Wood (1991 UCEWFMTB - that looks weird but it just is an acronym of USA Custom Exotic Wood Flame Maple Translucent Blue). The Indonesian JEM70V is drat close and I have no complaints after Hoshino USA fixed the fret install, but as much as I like it, I don't feel it has quite the level of quality in the way it feels compared to those three.

A few thoughts about things that jumped out at me over the last few nights:

1) It's very, very pretty. I thought I would like it. There's something more appealing when looking at it on your own lap, with your own eyes. It's gorgeous and my point-and-shoot Canon cannot possibly do it justice.

2) It's solid as hell even though it's very light. It's just a little under 8 lbs. That's an alder body. It has that very wonderful feeling where you can feel how it resonates as a whole, even with a floating trem. It's very bright and very loud and unbelievably sensitive to your playing. And it has incredible sustain, just unplugged.

3) I was wondering about the "carbon fiber whammy bar arm." Turns out it is a normal steel arm that is cut off several inches from the bend, inserted into a carbon fiber sleeve. I balanced it and the all-steel arm (it comes with both) over my index finger and the center of gravity is just a couple inches up from that bend, so you can tell how much steel bar is in there. It's very, very light compared to the steel arm. That's very cool, but to be honest I think I prefer the feel of the all--steel bar; but it's super neat.

4) They've updated the all-in-one mutli-tool and it's actually useful. I still prefer to reach for individual tools when setting up a guitar, but in terms of convenience and actual usability it's very nicely thought-out. You can use it without being afraid of scratching something.

5) Although I believe any guitar in this price range should have a wood hardshell case, or even a flight/road case; the case this guitar came in fits the guitar like a glove. It holds it tightly. But it's polymer. The latches seem thin and the hinges probably aren't great. Not what I expect in a $3K guitar, but it's totally form-fitted inside and I don't doubt the guitar is protected in there.

Here are the pics:

The case right out of the box:

Open it up:

Looking just at the neck:

Out of the case:

The scallops are great:

This neck really is gorgeous, all the way up and down:

The tools and the bars:

And this is for you, KD. Look, when it works, it works! It works, bro.

And sorry the walls haven't been painted in 16 years in this apartment, but I like this picture:

I am going to be putting notes through my rig on Sunday, and then I am taking it to my Dad's birthday party later this month where I will play it through my newly upgraded (and previously modded) Fender Blues Jr. MKIII. This will be fun because I am bringing three JEMs with me to meet my friend's JEMs. He has a new Woody JEM, and also an original 1988 Root Beer JEM that he bought and had leveled and set up professionally. I think he had a special DiMarzio pickup installed, too. I haven't met the Woody or the Root Beer yet. We're gonna have five JEMs in one room! It's gonna be fun and I will take a bunch of pics.

Cheers! I gotta step into the other room and just gaze at the guitar for a bit. Can't wait until Sunday.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 9, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hahaha, I don’t even mind the looped strings because that thing is gorgeous! I’m jealous. It sounds like a dream to play and listen to. I would love to get my hands on one of those sometime. Enjoy it man, you absolutely deserve it :D

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

How do you plug a guitar like that into a tweed amp? I mean I get physically it involves a 1/4" cable but it seems... incongruous somehow.

Fuckin sick axe bro. I would unironically use it to play my dumb doom metal.

edit: to emphasize here... I'm the idiot. Of course you can plug any guitar into any amp.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 9, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yo'! That guitar slaps!

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Krustic posted:

Traded for a Redbear Mk120 full stack. Sounds loud but is much more versatile than my 6505+ was. https://imgur.com/gallery/s4V8gb0

Great find dude! When I was shopping for a new amp a Redbear was at the top of the list. Could never find one in good condition.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Dr Faustus, my RG1570 Prestige came in one of those case and I think the case will outlive me, its insanely solid and both my RGs (one normal, one reverse headstock) fit in it millimetre perfect.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I never thought I'd be a PRS owner (I never liked the look of the bird inlays and generally their overall designs never really caught my interest), but last week I learned about the S2 Studio model which I thought was pretty cool. That eventually led me to the S2 Vela (I liked the simpler pickup configuration and the hardtail bridge better than what the S2 Studio has), and I picked one up on Friday - I absolutely love it!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
My favorite sounding guitar is absolutely my Korean PRS with P90s.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Picked up a gretsch short scale bass last weekend (excuse the rug).

Only a budget bass but fun to play and looks cool (the most important thing of course!)

And yes I know I still haven’t put those moog grandmother videos on YouTube yet :argh::confuoot:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That rug is illllllll son.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That rug is illllllll son.

Ikea’s finest!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Remulak posted:

My favorite sounding guitar is absolutely my Korean PRS with P90s.
gently caress yeah, they sound awesome. :hfive:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

So after getting

BRUTALLY TAUNTED

by the fedex man for a few days wherein shipment was delayed and then they stuck it on the wrong truck and then a totally different fedex man parked in front of my house halfway down a dead end road in the middle of nowhere and rumaged in the back for 5 minutes before driving off without doing anything ( :psyduck: ) my guitar is FINALLY HERE

Inexplicably included the plastic nut I had them replace (I don't want this, guys?? I mean I guess I did pay for it but..)

It did, sadly, somehow develop a small finish ding

Which I complained to Sweetwater about and was offered either a replacement in about a month (I would get to keep this one until then) or an account credit to as if it had been a scratch and dent and since I don't mind this small ding that much I took the credit.

Also check this rad poo poo out

(It plays and sounds amazing holy poo poo)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nice!

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Only the bass is mine in here, but I know yall appreciate gear, so I thought you'd like to see the absurd amount of gear we packed into the studio for guitar and bass tracking this weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt62TEFljQR/

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's nice. It's getting me to play again, because everything I play now has noisy/synthy/stringy accompaniment. It's not ENOUGH, but it's nice, and it was especially nice for $50.

I'm thinking of what my next instrument will be, though. I had a twelve-string electric and I loved it, but it was an absolute nightmare to play, it was ancient, the action was high enough that it you needed steel robot hands to fret the strings anywhere higher than first position and the action wasn't really adjustable as such.

I ended up selling it when I was in a couldn't-pay-my-bills situation.

So what would be an affordable electric 12-string that actually has a playable action?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Didn't fender just announce a Squier electric xii?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Didn't fender just announce a Squier electric xii?

googling around indicates they put out a fender xii last year for $900, which is still more expensive than I'd hope by a wide margin.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

hexwren posted:

So what would be an affordable electric 12-string that actually has a playable action?

Danelectro used to be the only game in town for this sorta thing. Be forewarned tho, the truss rod access is at the other end of the neck so you need to unscrew it before you adjust it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

hexwren posted:

[So what would be an affordable electric 12-string that actually has a playable action?
ESP LTD XJ-12.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Try to find a Venus XII, amazing MIJ guitars but they are treated as a parts kit for building up XIIs. The bridge and pickups are both terrific and dead on.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

hexwren posted:

Ibanez apparently has a Ibanez 12 string semi hollow that looks like your previous guitar and probably is a joy to play since it is Ibanez.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Rifter17 posted:

Ibanez apparently has a Ibanez 12 string semi hollow that looks like your previous guitar and probably is a joy to play since it is Ibanez.

That Ibanez 12 string by Ibanez sure looks like a great Ibanez.

Ibanez.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Afro posted:

That Ibanez 12 string by Ibanez sure looks like a great Ibanez.

Ibanez.

Ibanez really does Ibanez 2x as much as a normal 6 string Ibanez.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've been wanting to get a decent acoustic/electric for a while. Finally sold one of my old basses I wasn't using, so I went shopping the other day. Played about 20 different guitars before settling on this Martin DX1RAE:

I really liked the Taylor Academy series guitars I tried as well, but this Martin seemed to me to resonate the best out of everything in its price range.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

Great find dude! When I was shopping for a new amp a Redbear was at the top of the list. Could never find one in good condition.

Very late but thanks! I’m pretty happy with it so far. It gets a good clean sound, gets a good chunky distortion sound, and it’s really loud. Pretty much all I wanted in a new amp. It looks rough but works well. As you can probably tell from my picture aesthetics aren’t very important to me.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

BOOM!

I've been meaning to get into synths for some time now and I got a really good deal on a Minilogue + hardcase, which I couldn't pass up on. I'm still in the process of learning how to actually use it for anything creative, but just toying with it is immensely fun.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Wugga posted:

BOOM!

I've been meaning to get into synths for some time now and I got a really good deal on a Minilogue + hardcase, which I couldn't pass up on. I'm still in the process of learning how to actually use it for anything creative, but just toying with it is immensely fun.

Enjoy! Its a fun synth. One thing I found that really opened up the sound is to add a couple guitar effects pedals to your chain since the Mini really only has Delay. I have my minilogue run into a Distortion/Overdrive -> Chorus -> Reverb and it really helps with dialing in some cool sounds.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

FINALLY pulled the trigger, 10 years after having sold all my gear and only having my acoustic.

Been wanting that jazz/tele sound for a long time. It was sold used, but you could hardly tell, and it came with a ridiculous flight case. Now to get practicing again. The hard part is going to be not taking shortcuts, since I used to be a decent player.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That looks like a fun tele! I hope you have fun getting your blisters back in order. :)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

MrSargent posted:

Enjoy! Its a fun synth. One thing I found that really opened up the sound is to add a couple guitar effects pedals to your chain since the Mini really only has Delay. I have my minilogue run into a Distortion/Overdrive -> Chorus -> Reverb and it really helps with dialing in some cool sounds.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of hooking it up with my guitar effects to get some more oomph out of it, and pretty much the same effects you just mentioned + my MXR 100. I'm glad the 'logue has that built-in delay though. It's not much, but it's something. Dry synths sound pretty awful 95% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been looking at keyboards for some time now after enjoying my Minilab. I wanted something bigger, and almost impulse bought a Juno DS 88. I stopped by the local Guitar Center to check out the Juno again, and it still felt amazing. I found another keyboard that felt just as good, and didn't notice it the last time I was in. It was a new Casio that was released at NAMM 2019. The CDP-S350. It was basically everything the Juno was but half the cost with built in stereo speakers and a pile of other utilities and toys. Sold.

Quick connection to FLStudio 20 just like that, no fuss, no muss. Everything works amazing together.

I can even route the audio from the macbook into the speakers on the Casio. Though it seems to be mono currently, hoping it's a switch somewhere to make it stereo and use both speakers because they're halfway decent for playing around with. Edit: It was the cable. How did I end up with a mono... Full stereo now! wooo

Edit: Holy f this can get loud.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 4, 2019