Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pacra posted:

I think I'll wait until goon divs to use those 333% xp flags - every time I've popped one, my team has completely collapsed before the 15 minute mark and the round is pretty much over

Haha yeah. Not gonna be liberal with those, that's for sure. Maybe I should do the same with Papa Papa flags, fly them when I'm in a goon div.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

When I remember I stack all the xp boosts I have for doubles.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So for getting the last anime Kongo you need to use a tier 4-5 ship. Since tier 5 has been hosed over hard, which of these would be best for doing that: Kuma, Clemson, Arkansas Beta?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

So for getting the last anime Kongo you need to use a tier 4-5 ship. Since tier 5 has been hosed over hard, which of these would be best for doing that: Kuma, Clemson, Arkansas Beta?

You need to extract damage from enemies. Always battleship.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ice Fist posted:

16 inch shells can absolutely melt steel beams.

Truth.

You can easily find on the internet footage from Cameron's dive on the Bismark where you can see all of the melt caused my point blank 16 inch pass-through hits on Bismark from Rodney.

In fact, most likely, both Lutjens and Lindermann were killed (along with all of the bridge crew) by the shock and the melt induced from the heat of a 16inch shell impacting the bridge, but failing to penetrate the battle bridge.

Interesting enough though, while Bismark was hit by some 135 large caliber shells during her final battle, only 2 (possibly 3) actually penetrated her belt and reinforced areas.

And since she was the only true "modern" (for the time) Battleship that faced that sort of naval artillery during the war, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if more naval artillery duels between battleships with "modern" armor schemes would have resulted in mostly burning hulks rather than actual founderings.

Edit

It's hard to tell though once we start talking about Yamato and Musashi and their 18inch armament, or Germany's paper H-Class armed with 20inchers.

Even then, it's all about angle and achieving the correct plunging arc.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 16, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Kuma

or the Imperator Nikolai :getin:
You could probably pubstomp in a Langley I guess.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Truth.

You can easily find on the internet footage from Cameron's dive on the Bismark where you can see all of the melt caused my point blank 16 inch pass-through hits on Bismark from Rodney.

In fact, most likely both Lutjens and Lindermann were killed (along with all of the bridge crew) by the shock and the melt induced from the heat of a 16inch shell impacting the bridge, but failing to penetrate the battle bridge.

Interesting enough though, while Bismark was hit by some 135 large caliber shells during her final battle, only 2 (possibly 3) actually penetrated her belt and reinforced areas.

And since she was the only true "modern" (for the time) Battleship that faced that sort of naval artillery during the war, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if more naval artillery duels between battleships with "modern" armor schemes would have resulted in mostly burning hulks rather than actual founderings.

Bismarck had a pretty unique armor scheme that was just about impregnable in a small area no matter how close you got because it backed the belt with an armored deck at a steep angle to the belt that would be too angled for anything that could get through the belt. Close up, a Yamato would have an easier time penetrating a Yamato's vitals than a Bismarck. Of course whether that would've prevented flooding from penetrations of the belt but not the armored deck behind it from causing capsize is a question left unanswered. Other ships could get perforated though, it's just a matter of how close.

Also the Bismarck being hard to sink means less when her firepower can get disabled by hits above deck because her protection is too low to enclose enough volume.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

I sort of wish that Wargaming had modeled crew quality, as it really would have helped when dealing with balance.

For example, the Japanese (at least in the early war) had better carrier pilots and aircraft; however, their damage control procedures were so horrendous hits that American carriers would have survived resulted in lots of dead carriers at Midway.

And Japanese ships in general were far more likely to catch fire because of their widespread use of wood, and other flammable fittings, in the ship interiors.

Similarly, the Imperial Russian navy had decent capital ships; however, the Imperial Russian navy was not exactly known for the competency of her ship crews and officers.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

wdarkk posted:

Kuma is good as long as you don't try to duel someone who has guns trained on you (even though you can, with that many guns and torpedoes). Even better, if the Clemson is the one where its upgrade gets double-gun mounts, that boat owns destroyers and light cruisers hard too, in between slaughtering oblivious slow St. Louis or BB players.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

xthetenth posted:

Bismarck had a pretty unique armor scheme that was just about impregnable in a small area no matter how close you got because it backed the belt with an armored deck at a steep angle to the belt that would be too angled for anything that could get through the belt. Close up, a Yamato would have an easier time penetrating a Yamato's vitals than a Bismarck. Of course whether that would've prevented flooding from penetrations of the belt but not the armored deck behind it from causing capsize is a question left unanswered. Other ships could get perforated though, it's just a matter of how close.

Also the Bismarck being hard to sink means less when her firepower can get disabled by hits above deck because her protection is too low to enclose enough volume.

Absolutely, you are completely correct. However, in imagining actual fleet engagements between modernized battleships or even small encounters like at Guadalcanal, where we assume more parity between belligerents, I can imagine the majority of the results would be one side having more ships burning from naval artillery rather than on the bottom of the ocean from naval artillery.

And you are also entirely correct about Bismark. When coordinated fire control can be completely disabled from a single hit, from a design perspective, you drat well better have your fire control system better protected than Bismark's was.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ZombieLenin posted:

Truth.

In fact, most likely, both Lutjens and Lindermann were killed (along with all of the bridge crew) by the shock and the melt induced from the heat of a 16inch shell impacting the bridge, but failing to penetrate the battle bridge.

It's not melting anything, it's just plastic deformation.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Phanatic posted:

It's not melting anything, it's just plastic deformation.

Maybe. However, I imagine the friction of a 2,048 pound shell, moving at approximately 2,586 feet per second, passing through the metal superstructure of a ship, would generate quite a bit of heat.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bismarck was so resilient in its last battle because the Royal Navy insisted on closing the range and sailed into Bismarck's immunity zone rather than keeping some distance and just putting shells through her deck. It hardly mattered due to just how many hits she was taking everywhere, resulting in everything above the belt basically getting wrecked, but actually flatout sinking the Bismarck would have been perfectly feasible if not for that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

While failing to dodge a Kagero torp that did 18k damage to my NC about 2 minutes after the battle started while still really not far from Estuary domination spawn, I was citadeled by a Colorado, and then couldn't shift the rudder to avoid the follow up torpedo wall from a Fubuki, this after being set on fire with 100% of the 1 Chapayev shells that hit me while it was suiciding up the middle.

Just, exit to port.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

This is what I used. I would choose clemson and ark b honestly. The goal is damage and those work it out quick while being more forgiving against the greater pubbie antics. Ie, lead a charge with 4 pubbies only to suddenly wonder why 5 ships are focused on you because they all turned and ran when they got to 10km range.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

This is what it looks like when you get MLG 360 no scoped by 4 battleships in a DD.

Somehow that little knot of three battleships and the separate Bayern all managed to pull a ToT out of their rear end, and it was the Indianapolis of all things that missed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JuffoWup posted:

This is what I used. I would choose clemson and ark b honestly. The goal is damage and those work it out quick while being more forgiving against the greater pubbie antics. Ie, lead a charge with 4 pubbies only to suddenly wonder why 5 ships are focused on you because they all turned and ran when they got to 10km range.

I used an Isokaze for that mission. Tier IV battleship driver usually spend a lot of time moving straight, so the damage comes quickly.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Don't forget that you'll be getting a lot more of those Dragon Flags after the 19th too, so don't be too cautious with them. Though given just how many shitters are probably going to be out this weekend, might not want to use them yet.

Breakdown will be 50 for the first 500 battles, then 50 more for each full 1,000 (rounded down) games you've played. Plus an additional 50 for each T10 you've got in harbor.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Bismarck was so resilient in its last battle because the Royal Navy insisted on closing the range and sailed into Bismarck's immunity zone rather than keeping some distance and just putting shells through her deck. It hardly mattered due to just how many hits she was taking everywhere, resulting in everything above the belt basically getting wrecked, but actually flatout sinking the Bismarck would have been perfectly feasible if not for that.

Having an IZ without an inner edge is kind of a non-obvious trait for a battleship to have, in fairness. Then again, so is being armed and armored against 15" fire on a generously estimated 40k tons.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Having an IZ without an inner edge is kind of a non-obvious trait for a battleship to have, in fairness. Then again, so is being armed and armored against 15" fire on a generously estimated 40k tons.

It did have an inner edge in regards to anything larger than its own guns. 16" shells at less than 11 km could penetrate the Bismarck - its immunity zone was only between 21 and 11 km against shells that large. It's just that 11 km and below is basically point blank as far as real battleship battles were concerned.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 16, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

25k commander xp on my Lo Yang thanks to the daily, +50% flag, and Dragon flag. :feelsgood:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

It did have an inner edge in regards to anything larger than its own guns. 16" shells at less than 11 km could penetrate the Bismarck - its immunity zone was only between 21 and 11 km against shells that large. It's just that 11 km and below is basically point blank as far as real battleship battles were concerned.

Ugg, time to see if I've actually got solid numbers on that. Wonder if I could dig up what I need to run the numbers through facehard.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I spotted NTRabbit in a Nagato.

He died.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I spotted Durandal and Insert_Name_Here in a dunk and scharnhorst. After I killed one of them, I made sure to let them know I ruin everything.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MrKatharsis posted:

I spotted NTRabbit in a Nagato.

He died.

Our cruisers decided to go on a merry adventure to A on their own and did loving nothing, despite how long myself and the Koenig held off your whole team at C and then B.

And I still don't have any stairs.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

NTRabbit posted:

Our cruisers decided to go on a merry adventure to A on their own and did loving nothing, despite how long myself and the Koenig held off your whole team at C and then B.

And I still don't have any stairs.

Hey now, 2000 damage to a single destroyer isn't nothing. Maybe not quite worth an entire squadron spending 10 minutes chasing a single Kiev around the map, but not nothing.

That single Kiev was me. I think I made them mad when I citadeled one of them.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I deleted a New Orleans that crossed my T at about 8Km, and kited a Tirpitz that got fixated on me until I sank it. I got my first ever in-game compliment, as well. An Atago, a Cleveland and I locked down the entire Eastern flank. I think this is my 4th Dreadnought award for the day.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MrKatharsis posted:

Hey now, 2000 damage to a single destroyer isn't nothing. Maybe not quite worth an entire squadron spending 10 minutes chasing a single Kiev around the map, but not nothing.

That single Kiev was me. I think I made them mad when I citadeled one of them.

It started out as Nagato, Nagato, Koenig, New York vs Colorado, Kongo, Scharnhorst, Koenig, then suddenly the New York beached itself, and a Schors, Cleveland, Omaha, Konigsberg, and Furutaka appeared and burned it and the other Nagato right the gently caress down while our cruisers pissed about chasing you, and it was a sea of piss from there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ZombieLenin posted:

Maybe. However, I imagine the friction of a 2,048 pound shell, moving at approximately 2,586 feet per second, passing through the metal superstructure of a ship, would generate quite a bit of heat.

It'll warm up a *bit*, but nowhere near that much, and not really due to friction. The frictional coefficient between the shell and the target probably isn't all that high, and the shell's passing through it in a fraction of a second so doesn't have that much time to heat it. It'll heat it by deforming it, like how you can heat a metal rod to a pretty high temperature if you sit there and bang on it with a hammer for long enough, but consider that the superstructure, being metal, is effectively a superconductor of heat; you've got a huge thermal mass to wick away what small amount of heat the shell manages to impart to the hull. Equally, consider a HEAT round, where you're using a block of explosive to deform a metal liner into a projectile that gets explosively propelled to some tens of thousands of mph. In that process, that little bit of metal heats up to, at most, a few hundred degrees.

Edit: Jesus, I love the Nassau. Just sail into the thick of poo poo shrugging off fire and blasting the hell out of people. This is the first time I've felt like I've been playing a *battleship* instead of a floating lump of tinder and beer cans. Does the rest of the German line play like this?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 16, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Edit: Jesus, I love the Nassau. Just sail into the thick of poo poo shrugging off fire and blasting the hell out of people. This is the first time I've felt like I've been playing a *battleship* instead of a floating lump of tinder and beer cans. Does the rest of the German line play like this?

Yes, but with better guns. I'm still only on the Konig, but I love it so far. About halfway to the Bayern, which I've heard is amazing.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
That's it, I'm done with Tier 10 games. Was trying out Kurfurst, what do I get? bunch of 'snipers' and DDs just sitting back pooping torps all day.

Seriously, Tier 7 is much more fun.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Today I got an email with a WoWs survey. One of the options was to wish for more maps with longe range engagements :negative:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

All hail the dunkerque. This is actually my second kraken today so no flag rewards for it, but was still an interesting battle. Also, I didn't have to use a single heal the entire game.

Edit: Actually, I should link that one since it is also impressive:

That was my last battle with the farragut and I now have the mahan unlocked. I was also my first match of the day. Then the games stayed steady for a few more and then off the cliff.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 17, 2016

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Junkozeyne posted:

Today I got an email with a WoWs survey. One of the options was to wish for more maps with longe range engagements :negative:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

No idea how I got that much base xp tbh. I should have used flags though :smith:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I spotted Durandal and Insert_Name_Here in a dunk and scharnhorst. After I killed one of them, I made sure to let them know I ruin everything.
It was a Dunk and Warspite, please do not slander us by implying that we'd div up a T6 and T7 tyvm :colbert:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Junkozeyne posted:

They need to make sure battleships can hide even further back, what with the possible upcoming armor nerfs to T8-10 after all. :downs:

Wargaming, thinking a change that hurts battleships attempting to actually advance far more than dumbass snipers sitting at 20+ km is somehow going to "fix" the bow on meta.

Aesis posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

No idea how I got that much base xp tbh. I should have used flags though :smith:
Unassisted point captures and base defense awards are worth far more EXP than they probably should be.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So I'm seeing that the King Albert is apparently akin to the Imperator Nikolai and is OP. Is this true? Is this worth the pick-up?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

So I'm seeing that the King Albert is apparently akin to the Imperator Nikolai and is OP. Is this true? Is this worth the pick-up?

Ah hahahahahaha, who ever told you that needs to be given a bong water enema. The albert is no where near op. THere is nothing about konig that would make it an op monster like the nikolai is.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Decided to start working my way up the US DD line since those dragon flags will make getting a good captain a cinch.

Almost skipped the Sampson, but decided to try it out. Got a Kraken. 1400+ base xp pretty good for tier 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JuffoWup posted:

Ah hahahahahaha, who ever told you that needs to be given a bong water enema. The albert is no where near op. THere is nothing about konig that would make it an op monster like the nikolai is.

It's still the best T5 non-premium BB :colbert: