Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jeoh posted:

that explains my strange urges to build cement factories

factroys, please, show some respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I couldn’t get any opium today so I’m going on a hunger strike

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

who wants to help gofundme my fertilizer startup?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I've started several railroad projects but I'm only willing to invest a couple dollars into each so I'm waiting for the government to provide the rest

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i consume industrial amounts of liquor, daily

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

I've started several railroad projects but I'm only willing to invest a couple dollars into each so I'm waiting for the government to provide the rest

We can provide it, but only if you refuse to let me just pay the whole thing up front and instead force me to continually add a few dollars a dozen times or so.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Prav posted:

i consume industrial amounts of liquor, daily
To be honest, people used to drink absolutely shocking volumes of alcohol. It's a wonder they weren't all dead of cirrhosis by 55.
Possibly it was because they were dead by then.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I sent soldiers into battles and was forced to kill their families at home after they died.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

that explains my strange urges to go bankrupt

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

To be honest, people used to drink absolutely shocking volumes of alcohol. It's a wonder they weren't all dead of cirrhosis by 55.
Possibly it was because they were dead by then.

Alcohol was generally much weaker back then

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Victoria 3 with cryptocoin

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Gort posted:

Alcohol was generally much weaker back then

they drank distilled alcohol in disturbing amounts. the temperance movement didn't grow out of people having a second cup of watered-down wine

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Prav posted:

they drank distilled alcohol in disturbing amounts. the temperance movement didn't grow out of people having a second cup of watered-down wine
Yeah, I think the weak alcohol thing is like a Renaissance and earlier thing. By the time period of Victoria, Europe has developed an array of powerful techniques to get the great masses drunk on the cheap, and continued coming up with even more efficient methods as industrialization truly kicked off.

Really, this should be the next DLC for EU4/a major focus of V3.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Really, this should be the next DLC for EU4/a major focus of V3.

Victoria: An Empire Under the Influence

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Developing heavy industrial chains to go from supplying my dragoons with 40% whiskey in 1836 to being fully methed out come 1914

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I will be deeply disappointed if synthesizing heroin is not a breakthrough.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Humble Bundle has a good deal on CKII + DLC.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

That's an extremely good deal

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
$15 for...literally every DLC? Jesus christ that's insane.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What a crazy loving deal god drat.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Even includes Holy Fury, that's wild

e: hmm, I don't see any mention of the flavor packs (shields, units, music etc)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Even includes Holy Fury, that's wild

e: hmm, I don't see any mention of the flavor packs (shields, units, music etc)

Doesn't have them but, like, that shouldn't be your sticking point.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I've almost wrapped up my latest Vicky 2 (with HPM) game as Sweden -> Scandinavia. Long summary follows, TL;DR This European country won the 19th century using one weird trick (Prussians hate them!):

Basically, Prussia had some early problems. They lost early wars to the team of Austria and France. Meanwhile, I was getting a lot of Swedes to think about new types of art, which made us more important than Spain.

A few quick wars were crucial. First one to puppet Denmark. Meanwhile, Russia was having trouble with a war against the British and some large-scale revolts. Another quick war managed to free the Finns from their subjugation. Their joy was short-lived, because the next war brought Finland back to the fold. Form Scandinavia around 1870 (because Nationalism and Imperialism is required). This solved the Schleswig-Holstein question quite easily.

We somehow ended up with Lüneberg as well (maybe S-H has that at the start, i forget). This, and Prussia's loss of a hegemony war to Austria, had the amusing side effect of permanently precluding the formation of Germany proper. Prussia lasted until around the 1880s, when suddenly they managed to turn into the NGF - sans Mecklenburg, Lubeck, and Hamburg - seemingly out of desperation more than any real power. Meanwhile, Russia became a gimped republic, the Confederacy won the first ACW before finally getting re-annexed back in the 1880s, and the Austro-Hungarian compromise happened without the need for a Hungarian war of independence.

Scandinavia leaped with both feet into the colonisation of Africa, eating Ethiopia whole, getting a foothold of Guinea, and aceding to the Moroccan sultan's request for protection. All of this colonial dick-waving pissed off a lot of Europe, leaving Sweden isolated diplomatically for the last ~15 years of the 19th century before a concerted diplomatic effort managed to charm everyone except eternal enemy NGF (because of having their cores). Fortunately, no war broke out in the meantime.

Finally, in 1906, the North German Federation made a powerplay to undo their embarrassments over the last half-century by agitating for Circassian independence from the weakened Russian republic (8th place GP). The Brits, presumably seeing potential for a strong ally in a united German state, sided with them. The rest of the European great powers - Republican France, ConMon Scandinavia, ConMon Austria-Hungary and Russia - told the Germans to go gently caress themselves. With neither bloc willing to budge, Europe found itself sleepwalking into the first Great War.

The outbreak of war presented an immediate and serious strategic problem for the North German Federation: namely, that they were fighting a war on four fronts (five including the Netherlands), one from each cardinal direction. They had no good answer for this problem, and with the British army focused mainly on fighting in Africa, they found themselves quickly doomed despite early successes in Russian Poland and the baltics. Looking to capitalise on Austria-Hungary's diverted attentions and in a fun nod to history, they also thought to bring in the Ottomans, who achieved basically nothing and got occupied very quickly. By late 1907, the NGF was completely occupied by the coalition, while the British wrested control of essentially all of colonial Africa. A brief tangent opened momentarily when Italy decided the German counterattack was the perfect opportunity to reclaim Venetia; their miscalculation led to a humiliating settlement within just a few months. Shortly after the peace, they were convinced to join the coalition against Britain and the NGF, throwing yet more bodies into the meat grinder. A Scandinavian invasion of the isles at Ipswich (launching from the Netherlands), fought with tanks and chemical warfare on both sides, cost both sides nearly a hundred thousand lives apiece. While the invasion itself achieved essentially zero strategic benefit, the enormous loss of life and the threat of losing control of the home isles convinced the British to settle in late 1908.

Unfortunately the Great War colonial peace events didn't fire properly, so the peace was not as traumatic as it should've been. Britain lost only a few colonies in Africa, while the NGF was forced to disarm and was severely humiliated. The NGF's compete lack of armed forces following the occupation and peace led to a small-scale civil war fought between communist and fascist rebels, in which the communists were eventually successful in overthrowing the regime in 1909. Despite the momentary decline in the Scandinavian economy, the relative stability of most of the great powers prompted a strong rearmanment following the war despite a strong social pressure for peace. In 1911, very little seems to have changed in the world order. The British empire, despite formally losing the great war, has lost little more than momentary prestige and now aims to recoup their losses. Many of the great powers of the coalition experienced a traumatic shock to their economies and armed forces for zero tangible gain, and are looking to justify their rapid reconstruction with material gains. Only the North German Federation, the perennial failson of Europe, has a strong casus belli to remake the political landscape. Even as new technology in the form of flying machines threatens to transform warfare forever, a second Great War seems more likely than not.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Very nice! :allears: When does Vic2 go until, out of curiosity? 1914 or something, isn't it? Hopefully the next war can finish in time!

And that reminds me that I should post about a HoI4 game a friend and I are playing, once it has concluded. Which should be in the coming weeks (We're monarchist Germany and Austria-Hungary, taking on the commies and fascists of the world)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Major Isoor posted:

Very nice! :allears: When does Vic2 go until, out of curiosity? 1914 or something, isn't it? Hopefully the next war can finish in time!

And that reminds me that I should post about a HoI4 game a friend and I are playing, once it has concluded. Which should be in the coming weeks (We're monarchist Germany and Austria-Hungary, taking on the commies and fascists of the world)

Vicky 2 goes until January 1st 1936, so as to link up to whatever HOI game is currently out at the time]. That should be more than enough time for another great war (hopefully something more even) and a bit of post-war agitating. In a hypothetical V3 I'd love to see a reason for non-European great powers (i.e. the USA and Japan) and European secondary powers to join great wars, and for them to play out a bit more like a slow meatgrinder as they should - even with HPM, more often than not great wars only take a couple of years.

Considering Germany is the traditional final boss of Vicky, a Europe without a proper Germany (just a neutered NGF) is satisfying to see. It bears repeating how well, despite all the jank, Vicky 2 captures the early 20th c. phenomena of sides-taking and seemingly-pointless crises leading to global conflagrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just bought Vicky 2. Can I spam my questions here? I'm playing as Brazil and seem to be paying out the wazoo for factory subsidies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

I just bought Vicky 2. Can I spam my questions here? I'm playing as Brazil and seem to be paying out the wazoo for factory subsidies.

Yeah that'll happen if you just subsidize everything because capitalists are terrible at making good investments. What you want to do is go to your factory screen and see what's losing the most money, and uncheck the box that says to subsidize them. You only really want to subsidize factories that produce supplies you really need (military stuff is usually a good candidate since it tends to be a money loser during peacetime, meaning it needs the subsidies to survive, but you don't want to rely on the global market during wartime). Alternatively, you can try to figure out why those factories might be losing money to see if it's something you can address, but if you're new to the game that's pretty advanced so it's probably better to just cut off their subsidies and let them fail.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I tried turning off subsidies and very quickly got thousands of unemployed people. Will that correct itself in time?

In a new game, should I default to having subsidies off (aside from military factories) until I get a better understanding of things?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The unemployed workers should demote down to farmers or laborers with time, yeah. It kinda sucks to lose the industrial labor pool but they can always promote back up to factory workers later when there are jobs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

buglord posted:

I tried turning off subsidies and very quickly got thousands of unemployed people. Will that correct itself in time?

In a new game, should I default to having subsidies off (aside from military factories) until I get a better understanding of things?

Slowly, yes. You can try building other factories to keep them employed. You usually can't go wrong with factories that produce goods that your people need.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Go to the population screen and hover over the various pop's needs. Get factories for all of their first two tiers of needs you can and try and keep on top of importing/producing the rest.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Industrializing isn't all that profitable for a lot of countries early game. The more literate your population is the better and easier it gets especially as you get tech. The majority of industrial score is from profitable factories, so the main reason to subsidize factories is just to increase your labor pool or guarantee access to resources. As people promote to craftsmen/clerks more easily with higher literacy, sometimes it's worth it to just wait a bit and let your artisans live and make you money. Focus early game on getting your population educated, while ideally conquering or colonizing some to get access to resources you'll want for industrializing later. Clerks are a big part of making factories that are easily profitable, but getting a sizable base of those requires very high literacy. I generally do bureaucrats(admin eff makes it easier to promote pops to clergy etc), clergy(literacy is king), and then a tiny number of capitalists in each state before moving to the next. Don't get too caught up on maxing ratios in every state though, the less populous ones have little benefit and will catch up in time thanks to tech. Late game my national focuses are entirely craftsmen/clerks.

Keep in mind synergies, factories whose inputs are produced in the state they are located are much cheaper to run and more likely to run a profit. Then you can build further factories which chain off the previous factories output. This is one of the main reasons it's better to concentrate industry. Focus on your most populous states and getting profitable factories on those, and then just keep expanding those factories while using national focuses to convert them to craftsmen (for pretty much the entire game after you do the standard bureaucrats/clergy/capitalists).

Factories are also a lot more vulnerable to failure the smaller they are. Each level of factory increases the money bank they have, which lets them ride out dips in the market easier. Smaller factories can have one bad day, start firing people to save money, which means they aren't making as much money, and spiral down further. Subsidizing helps with that and is a good reason to keep it on, but if a factory is consistently losing money, and you don't think the market is going to get better, then it's better to close it and think of another factory to open.

Free market/capitalists is a bit of a trade off, you do lose a lot of control and yes they build stupid factories. The flipside is that the bonuses make it a lot easier for factories to be profitable which allows for a much more dispersed/widespread arrangement of factories. But for it to work -well-, you need a very built up industrial base. At the start of the game it really only works for the US. But later in the game when you've built up railroads, have good literacy, and a lot of capitalists making a lot of money from factories...It works very well. If you try it at the beginning you'll crash and burn because A. Factories are extremely expensive and harder to make a profit on, and B. You don't have successful factories, so your capitalists have no money to work with to make more/expand/make railroads.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That makes some more sense. One big problem I was having too was having too many factory workers. Like, tens of thousands of them. How do I get them to be artisans instead so they're busy? Is how im taxing lower/middle/upper classes influencing this?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

buglord posted:

That makes some more sense. One big problem I was having too was having too many factory workers. Like, tens of thousands of them. How do I get them to be artisans instead so they're busy? Is how im taxing lower/middle/upper classes influencing this?

Generally speaking, you want tons of factory workers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally speaking 16% factory workers and 4% clerks is ideal. So until you have that, just keep building more factories. The more factories you have, the more industrial score you have, the easier it is to rise to great power status. Also, if you have a profitable factory that is full, upgrade it by pressing the plus sign on the top of the factory in the production screen.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Sorry, quick correction: The more employed factory workers you have, the higher your industrial score. So, still, more factories.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The problem is, even with all those factory workers, the majority of them were unemployed and the factories were all unprofitable. (Didn't help that my gov't type doesnt allow me to step in and make factories).

e: meanwhile, i have all these provinces that have untapped RGOs.

e2: this is on a new game. I haven't touched a factory yet. looks like the artisans are starving and getting none of their bare essentials met.

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 12, 2019

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

buglord posted:

The problem is, even with all those factory workers, the majority of them were unemployed and the factories were all unprofitable. (Didn't help that my gov't type doesnt allow me to step in and make factories).

e2: this is on a new game. I haven't touched a factory yet. looks like the artisans are starving and getting none of their bare essentials met.

Let the artisans starve. This happens in pretty much most playthroughs, and it's a natural consequence of the industrial age. Those artisans will often demote into your factory workers. Also, generally speaking, you want to be taxing the poor class at the highest level until your country is in a comfortable economic position. They don't usually get too adversely affected by it.

Often times artisans are affected by the tariffs of your nation, and reducing them will keep your artisans from starving or demoting. But tariffs provide a massive boost to your country's income, so don't be surprised if you're accumulating debt.

Basically that large red pie piece is normal at this stage in the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
In other words, don't act like you're already a modern democracy. Most countries are nowhere near that level of social reform at the starting date and you'll only find yourself spiralling into heavy debt from being "nice" to your population.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

buglord posted:

Tax everyone at 100%, up that admin slider to max and keep it there, and flip to whatever party lets you build factories manually, likely the conservatives (you may need to do this via the events if you don't have a proper monarch).

Caring about your pops' needs and wants is for socialists, you have an empire to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AnoHito posted:

Tax everyone at 100%, up that admin slider to max and keep it there, and flip to whatever party lets you build factories manually, likely the conservatives (you may need to do this via the events if you don't have a proper monarch).

Caring about your pops' needs and wants is for socialists, you have an empire to build.

Also, if you hover over the slider, it should tell you the effective tax - that's what's actually deducted from POP income, not what you have the slider set to.