Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

and yet people still say that seth rogen is a "good comedian"
They're laughing at him, not with him.
~or~
Well, poo poo, if people are saying it, it must be true! After all, no one has ever said anything demonstrably incorrect before in human history, and certainly NEVER on the internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Sunswipe posted:

I wish DC and Marvel would seperate their universes into superpowered and non-superpowered. Let Superman and Spider-Man keep beating up ludicrously powered supervillains and aliens while Batman and Punisher can deal with mobsters and psychopaths, but have a hard line between them. Superpowered characters do not exist in non-powered universe. This would also mean mixing villains up a bit. Lex Luthor either has to develop superpowers or piss off and annoy Batman for a change.

Lex I'll give a pass, because the whole point of him is he's humanity's golden child who becomes completely irrelevant by the existence of Superman and it drives him loving nuts. Also he's a villain. His job is to eventually lose. In no way should Batman ever be on an even playing ground as Superman.

Having said that, Dark Knight Returns loving rules. But you can only do that poo poo once. On every other day Superman should be making an active effort to NOT kill Batman simply by breathing too close to.him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I wish DC and Marvel would seperate their universes into superpowered and non-superpowered. Let Superman and Spider-Man keep beating up ludicrously powered supervillains and aliens while Batman and Punisher can deal with mobsters and psychopaths, but have a hard line between them. Superpowered characters do not exist in non-powered universe. This would also mean mixing villains up a bit. Lex Luthor either has to develop superpowers or piss off and annoy Batman for a change.
This is the most "trees for the forest" poo poo. Batman and Punisher and street-level characters are equally impossible and idiotic relative to their superpowered counterparts. I'm not one of those dudes who thinks "You need to read the comics" to have a worthwhile opinion or understand poo poo, but this is one case where actually following runs and seeing how most writers treat the shared universe would illustrate how idiotic this sounds.

quote:

PHUO: People were stupid to be so excited when Ridley Scott returned to the Alien franchise. It's been coasting on the success of Aliens forever, because it was the best film in the series. Get Cameron to have another shot at it, or better yet, stop trying to drag everything out into a franchise. It's ok to say "We had an idea for a story and we've told it. It came out really well and we're glad everyone liked it. There's nothing else to do with it now, so we're going to leave it and go do something else."
Yeah but :capitalism:. Brand recognition goes a long way to offsetting financial risk, and Ridley Scott has learned that as long as he tosses a Xenomorph in there he can have high budgets for the rest of his career to experiment with dumb poo poo like pioneering shots to let Michael Fassbender play the flute with himself (seriously film nerds I know are way too into that scene on a technical level).

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

They're laughing at him, not with him.
~or~
Well, poo poo, if people are saying it, it must be true! After all, no one has ever said anything demonstrably incorrect before in human history, and certainly NEVER on the internet!

calm down

mind the walrus posted:

This is the most "trees for the forest" poo poo. Batman and Punisher and street-level characters are equally impossible and idiotic relative to their superpowered counterparts. I'm not one of those dudes who thinks "You need to read the comics" to have a worthwhile opinion or understand poo poo, but this is one case where actually following runs and seeing how most writers treat the shared universe would illustrate how idiotic this sounds.

Yeah but :capitalism:. Brand recognition goes a long way to offsetting financial risk, and Ridley Scott has learned that as long as he tosses a Xenomorph in there he can have high budgets for the rest of his career to experiment with dumb poo poo like pioneering shots to let Michael Fassbender play the flute with himself (seriously film nerds I know are way too into that scene on a technical level).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRm0WssOE

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

It's literally the first requirement.

But it doesn't follow that being smart makes you funny.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sunswipe posted:

PHUO: People were stupid to be so excited when Ridley Scott returned to the Alien franchise. It's been coasting on the success of Aliens forever, because it was the best film in the series. Get Cameron to have another shot at it, or better yet, stop trying to drag everything out into a franchise. It's ok to say "We had an idea for a story and we've told it. It came out really well and we're glad everyone liked it. There's nothing else to do with it now, so we're going to leave it and go do something else."

Too bad Cameron is more interested in building submarines and fiddling with 3D cameras or whatever than making movies

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah ever since Avengers: Endgame beat Titanic and came (is coming?) close to beating Avatar at certain box office records he's now got an incentive to make Avatar 2-x big hits. Dude loves to have himself a mission.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

But it doesn't follow that being smart makes you funny.

Before I continue mocking you, do you seriously not understand the concept of causation vs. correlation? If you genuinely don't, it would be wrong to mock you for it instead of trying to explain it.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Tubgoat posted:

Before I continue mocking you, do you seriously not understand the concept of causation vs. correlation? If you genuinely don't, it would be wrong to mock you for it instead of trying to explain it.

He's right though. Being smart doesn't automatically make you funny. And dumb humour is a thing, even if it's not YOUR thing. I'm not sure what's tripping you up here.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

CityMidnightJunky posted:

He's right though. Being smart doesn't automatically make you funny. And dumb humour is a thing, even if it's not YOUR thing. I'm not sure what's tripping you up here.

Two people have claimed that being smart automatically makes one funny; steinrokkan and you.

In order to be funny, you have to be smart. But being smart doesn't automatically make you funny. I'm gonna go back and check if I read something wrong because I'm hoping I just grazed the post and didn't read it correctly and that two other posters aren't just trolling me.

Also, whoever it was that was joking a couple months ago about the backfire effect being disproven; I just got it yesterday, that is extremely funny and I'm sorry for not understanding it at the time.

Edit: Okay, some wires got crossed around the reply to Skratchez's post and a whole lot of A ~ B = C, C = A got incorrectly filled in.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jun 8, 2019

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
all the poo poo i find funny is dumb as poo poo so fart to all that frankly

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

quote:

Me He's right though, being smart doesn't automatically make you funny

Tubgoat posted:

Two people have claimed that being smart automatically makes one funny; steinrokkan and you.

WHAT IS HAPPENING!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

shut the gently caress up nobody cares and you look so loving stupid when you say "Before I continue mocking you," you sound like the kind of person who gets fifty replies on twitter whenever you post, and every reply is shrek wearing a fedora

if smart people were comedians SNL wouldn't suck rear end

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
PHUO

Peeing on hoes is funny. Especially if they jump out and smack you in the face.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

shut the gently caress up nobody cares and you look so loving stupid when you say "Before I continue mocking you," you sound like the kind of person who gets fifty replies on twitter whenever you post, and every reply is shrek wearing a fedora

SNL succs rear end because they are literally paid to succ rear end. I know you know this, but those reading may not necessarily.
And I don't like to make fun of people for not knowing the same things as me because many people know things that I do not, and ableism is halfway between succ and fascism.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Tubgoat posted:

SNL succs rear end because they are literally paid to succ rear end. I know you know this, but those reading may not necessarily.
And I don't like to make fun of people for not knowing the same things as me because many people know things that I do not, and ableism is halfway between succ and fascism.

I was watching Mel Brooks being interviewed by Coco and thinking this guy went to an Ivy League school to learn how to make jokes. He wrote on the Simpsons and SNL.

And that doesn't make him funny.

Trying to be egoless even if it's an affectation might. But Bart you can't dance on my show. Only I may dance.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lack of ego for sure helps A LOT, but against all odds, the South Park guys continue to be funny. It is truly baffling.
You don't learn how to be funny from going to an Ivy League school, but if you've already got the raw materials, seeing the future and wannabe war criminals at their training facility can help you hone your technique/material.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Over 1/4 of the writers for the Golden Age of the Simpsons (Seasons 1-8) were Ivy Leaguers, almost all Harvard but 1 Columbia, and one Stanford.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Over 1/4 of the writers for the Golden Age of the Simpsons (Seasons 1-8) were Ivy Leaguers, almost all Harvard but 1 Columbia, and one Stanford.

And they wrote Burns as a Princeton man.

"Conan O'Brien has called Mr. Burns his favorite character to write for, due to his arbitrarily old age and extreme wealth."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yale.

And all writers love characters that are extremely wealthy because it means you can have them go anywhere and do anything without breaking the realm of economic plausibility. Remember how very early Simpsons had an entire episode where saving up for a veterinary operation was a huge deal?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That information does not contradict my hypothesis.

Also, some of the most "intelligent" (booksmart) people I've ever known are just plain not funny, and I am not sure if it's ego or brainworms.

In order to be funny, you really do have to at least be clever, if not outright smart, but you also need to be able to check your ego and be able to independently evaluate the societal norms of the world around you in the context of the power dynamic of said societal norms. Pod drat America has a good episode on why chuds think they are Lenny Bruce even as they are the diametric opposite.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wasn't trying to contradict poo poo. I'm just saying there isn't a one-size-fits-all algebra equation to be a funny person.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

I don't think your stupid little tirade / hissy fit can be considered mocking.

spit on my clit posted:

Perhaps the most compelling argument yet.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Yale.

And all writers love characters that are extremely wealthy because it means you can have them go anywhere and do anything without breaking the realm of economic plausibility. Remember how very early Simpsons had an entire episode where saving up for a veterinary operation was a huge deal?

Crap, it was Yale wasn't it?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Harvard/Yale is the big rivalry so the Harvard people made Mr. Burns a consummate Yale man. Remember when his son Rodney Dangerfield applied and the admissions board said "Yale could use an International Airport."

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfDt9LQQ7q0

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

Pod drat America has a good episode on why chuds think they are Lenny Bruce even as they are the diametric opposite.

the moment you recommend a podcast and use "chuds" in the same sentence is when you lose me

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've never "got" podcasts. It feels like listening to recordings of talk radio. I'll just listen to talk radio in the morning if I want to hear people talk about stuff. also podcasts don't have funny sound effects. so whats the deal

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Harvard/Yale is the big rivalry so the Harvard people made Mr. Burns a consummate Yale man. Remember when his son Rodney Dangerfield applied and the admissions board said "Yale could use an International Airport."

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfDt9LQQ7q0

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anime is better than superhero shows. Manga is better than comics.

Also, USA and USSR are both bad and you don’t have to pick an imperialist superpower to support.

WW2 nation rankings from least-most bad:

China
USA/USSR tie
France
Britain
Italy
Japan
Germany

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Jun 8, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Probably true, but basically any type of movie/media in general is orders of magnitude better than any of those things. Even the blandest romantic comedy is better than the best anime.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
USA has never done anything wrong except in the early years

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

spit on my clit posted:

USA has never done anything wrong except in the early years

America is suffering from toxic masculinity but every other country has it worse.

We have maybe 40% toxicity Europe, China

You really don't want to be a woman there. At least you have a coin toss of a chance in the US

Pussy Riot forever

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure we have a lot more substantial problems than just "toxic masculinity".

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Skratchez posted:

America is suffering from toxic masculinity but every other country has it worse.

We have maybe 40% toxicity Europe, China

You really don't want to be a woman there.

This is really dumb. America is worse in every way compared to Scandinavia

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Aren't women still stay at home moms in America? Because your government refuse to give adequate time off when you get kids

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

This is really dumb. America is worse in every way compared to Scandinavia

Try buying beer in norway and get back to me after you have to take out another mortgage on your house just to get a case.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Collapsing Farts posted:

Aren't women still stay at home moms in America? Because your government refuse to give adequate time off when you get kids

That’s why most moms... aren’t stay at home moms?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My unpopular opinion is that radiation is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
radiation and vanilla pepsi