Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Who What Now posted:

I've been replaying Max Payne 3 and man I love that you keep your pistols in cutscenes. It's a minor thing but I always hate when I have this rad .45 and a cutscene loads and the character magics up some piece of poo poo 9mm.

I noticed in most Rockstar games they seem to like doing that, so stuff like clothing, cars, and guns as you mention all stay consistent with the cutscene. It's cool to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I've been replaying Max Payne 3 and man I love that you keep your pistols in cutscenes. It's a minor thing but I always hate when I have this rad .45 and a cutscene loads and the character magics up some piece of poo poo 9mm.

I also liked that there weren't any slings on the rifles, and that when you switched to a pistol, you would carry the rifle in your off hand, and had to drop your rifle to dual wield.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Reminds me how Hitman Absolution had a cutscene where 47 held whichever weapon you had equipped like a pistol, including things like a sedative syringe. Oops.

(Also pictured: Hitman Absolution's deep and throught-provoking dialogue)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nude posted:

I noticed in most Rockstar games they seem to like doing that, so stuff like clothing, cars, and guns as you mention all stay consistent with the cutscene. It's cool to see.
I like how GTA V will change up outfits with stuff from a character's wardrobe if you switch to him after not using him for a while. But it seems to depend on you switching to them, and for cutscenes the game grabs whatever outfit you put on him last. I learned about this towards the end of the game when Trevor turns up in one of Michael's missions to have a super tense conversation, still wearing the scuba suit from when I'd gone looking for nuclear waste as him hours ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are also alternate versions of a lot of cutscenes depending on if you have a two handed gun or not. Max Payne 3 is really cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like how GTA V will change up outfits with stuff from a character's wardrobe if you switch to him after not using him for a while. But it seems to depend on you switching to them, and for cutscenes the game grabs whatever outfit you put on him last. I learned about this towards the end of the game when Trevor turns up in one of Michael's missions to have a super tense conversation, still wearing the scuba suit from when I'd gone looking for nuclear waste as him hours ago.

To be fair, that is something Trevor would do.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

My Lovely Horse posted:

I learned about this towards the end of the game when Trevor turns up in one of Michael's missions to have a super tense conversation, still wearing the scuba suit from when I'd gone looking for nuclear waste as him hours ago.

This seems fitting.
Edit: gently caress.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So Xenoblade 2 has this combat gimmick where you chain different element specials - to cause a chain reaction to deal more damage. And it's kind of fun mix and matching things. And if you can get a tier 3 reaction - you can create a little element bubble (one for each element that ended the reaction) on the enemy - which is code for how many rounds your chain attack is going to be. And it sounds weird, but it does feel really good to pull off - and it's not this complicated thing that's not worth it, found out first hand yesterday you get five of those bad boys on a boss, and your party is going to take it from a near full health bar to zero in one round.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
My favorite instance of characters keeping their equipment equipped in cutscenes was when I played through GTAIV. I had just beaten a boss by shooting him with a shitload of rockets. Cue the cutscene in which Niko is obviously meant to threaten him with a pistol, and now he's waving a rocket launcher in the boss's face.

I've been playing Nier: Automata, which is chock full of little things. My favorite, though, is ending G: after beating the game with 2B, you switch to her sidekick, 9S, and go through the game from his perspective. He starts at the abandoned factory. If you ignore the ladder at the very start of his run, go to the path opposite of it, press the button, and walk the bridge, the game goes black and says something like, "9S's curiosity of old machinery got the best of him. He was never seen again." The game fast forwards through the credits, and you restart the 9S run.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

OutOfPrint posted:

I've been playing Nier: Automata, which is chock full of little things. My favorite, though, is ending G: after beating the game with 2B, you switch to her sidekick, 9S, and go through the game from his perspective. He starts at the abandoned factory. If you ignore the ladder at the very start of his run, go to the path opposite of it, press the button, and walk the bridge, the game goes black and says something like, "9S's curiosity of old machinery got the best of him. He was never seen again." The game fast forwards through the credits, and you restart the 9S run.

You've missed a buncha these already!

Basically whenever there's an 'urgent' thing happening in the game you can get an ending by going the wrong way.
Try self-destrucing in the bunker at any time!

Game gets a chapter select later so you can get every ending. There's only one that's missable forever - you need to intentionally lose to the final phase of an optional superboss after upgrading every weapon.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Arkham Knight is much more tolerable with the 60s Batman skins. All that ridiculous grimdark bullshit gets nicely offset by the polyester and felt sheen.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Arkham Knight is much more tolerable with the 60s Batman skins. All that ridiculous grimdark bullshit gets nicely offset by the polyester and felt sheen.

Arkham Knight had the coop fights that were amazing and made me so disappointed there weren't more of them in the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've 100%ed Spiderwick Chronicles now. It's kind of amazing how much better of a PS2 game the story makes than a movie, probably because the movie had to move fairly quickly so focused on the Goblins and Ogre who are the most boring creatures in the story due to feeling underdeveloped. The game however has some neat side-content that helps flesh out the world a bit, like evidence of Elves, Dwarves and a Phoenix that you never actually see, which gives the world a sense of history - there were other creatures living in the forest, and they moved on or died. Certainly they are generic Fantasy Creatures, but the fact that you never see them outside of sketches helps the allure of what they could have been like.

It just draws attention to the fact that the story was poorly served as a movie, and may have been more successful as a game series. I'd certainly have been interested in exploring more of the world as presented.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I found out about a cool little thing in Celeste, which is what's in this video (warning, spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE8diav5I1k

For an explanation of why this is neat and if you don't care about getting spoiled:
This is from the fifth level of Celeste, a rather trippy stage where you explore an old temple on your way up the mountain. In it, you encounter a mirror like a couple others you've seen before and you're pulled through it into a mirror realm. The music is different but, as the video above makes it clear, it's just the original music played backwards. That's neat in itself, but what's even more interesting is that within the song there's added a bit of monologue that reflects Madeline's own inner thoughts and doubts about herself. There was no reason to put this there and few people would ever have found out about it, but it's perfect and really exemplifies one of the major themes of the game, that being Madeline's own struggle with her anxiety and depression.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I tried the switch axe in Monster Hunter World and I was cackling with glee every time I did the big elemental discharge combo.

The combat system is so drat good in this game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I tried the switch axe in Monster Hunter World and I was cackling with glee every time I did the big elemental discharge combo.

The combat system is so drat good in this game.
I'm using the insect glaive and the pogo ability is so fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm using the insect glaive and the pogo ability is so fun.

I always try a new weapon in every Monster Hunter game I play - the one where the insect glaive came out (4, I think) was where I got really good at it, and this game I decided to try out the Charge Blade. The charge blade owns, especially when you get a full super amped ultra or whatever the gently caress it's called, doubly so when you get it as attack on a mount, but given how the glaive now lets you fuckin' bounce around in mid-air with attacks and boosts or whatever, it is sorely tempting to try it out again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
One mission on Watch_Dogs2, called Hack The World has you infiltrating a spacecraft base and planting a bug in a rocket that's about to be launched. When it's on orbit, you access it like one of the cameras from the game, getting a full view of Earth and all the databases of Blume(the EVIL corporation). Then you go around the world, flipping through the satellites that are on orbit, and invading each of the sites that Blume owns and hacking them until you have enough openings to enter the main one and extract their info by solving a massive pipe puzzle(But with data).

This game :allears:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Samuringa posted:

One mission on Watch_Dogs2, called Hack The World has you infiltrating a spacecraft base and planting a bug in a rocket that's about to be launched. When it's on orbit, you access it like one of the cameras from the game, getting a full view of Earth and all the databases of Blume(the EVIL corporation). Then you go around the world, flipping through the satellites that are on orbit, and invading each of the sites that Blume owns and hacking them until you have enough openings to enter the main one and extract their info by solving a massive pipe puzzle(But with data).

This game :allears:

Yeah I adored that. You get to revisit it again too!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Even though it starts out on kind of a low note, i appreciate A Way Out for even existing. There aren't to many co-op focused games made these days and this game just gets everything right :allears: Just make yourself play past the cheesy,schlocky prison intro sequence and i promise you it's great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Still taking a trek through Ace Lightning and due to the enemy variety I'm often surprised at what the game throws at me - in the second cowboy level one of the areas is a Cactus Valley - from that you'd expect maybe tricky platforming over cactus patches, or cacti firing needles at you - what the game gives you instead are guys dressed as cacti that are trying to blend in to the environment - when you get in their vicinity they show their faces, hop towards you and blow up. Certainly not what I expected. Also the level ends with a BarRoom Brawl type fight where the dancers are firing stilletto heels at you (I think, the animation is unclear) and one of the guys at the bar is a cactus costume guy - shoot him and he blows up damaging a bunch of the enemies and softening them up for you to finish off.

Good Encounter Design. One more western level to go, then I only have one hub left before the final hub/boss. Also the gates to the hubs are themepark ride style facades, and they are all animated. :3: Like the Cowboy hub has a swaying cactus in the background and the final (Medieval) hub has a cute dragon and two of the towers swaying. It's visually cute.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Even though it starts out on kind of a low note, i appreciate A Way Out for even existing. There aren't to many co-op focused games made these days and this game just gets everything right :allears: Just make yourself play past the cheesy,schlocky prison intro sequence and i promise you it's great.

It has every mini-game imaginable, never expected I would be tossing horseshoes and darts competitively in the game. Also Banjo minigame on extreme is extreme

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

WirelessPillow posted:

It has every mini-game imaginable, never expected I would be tossing horseshoes and darts competitively in the game. Also Banjo minigame on extreme is extreme

Even better is Banjo and Piano duet, if you have Vince on the Piano and Leo on the Banjo also it's great how Vince and Leo interact differently with people or behave slightly differently with the minigames. During Baseball, if Vince is pitching then you're able to make your pitches curve and other good stuff, whereas Leo just pitches normally

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Even better is Banjo and Piano duet, if you have Vince on the Piano and Leo on the Banjo also it's great how Vince and Leo interact differently with people or behave slightly differently with the minigames. During Baseball, if Vince is pitching then you're able to make your pitches curve and other good stuff, whereas Leo just pitches normally

You are wrong on the pitching part, but yes their interaction with people is unique to their persons which is nice

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A Way Out just continually escalates as it rolls on, the end sequence is insane. I was not expecting another endgame setpiece after the first one, and it’s perfect in every way.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also, I can’t imagine how not using the parachutes could be anywhere near as hilarious.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Playing Watchdogs 2, stumbled on Bochka Bass Kolbaser NPCs :classiclol:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Started playing Light Crusader on the Genesis because I heard it was good - I'm enjoying it so far, although haven't figured out how not to get hit, but I'm exploring the first dungeon fairly thoroughly and am enjoying the puzzles so far. They are simple as far as I have got, but effective, and each one seems to be opening more treasure or enemies, and new pathways as well. It's pretty rewarding to explore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Started playing Light Crusader on the Genesis because I heard it was good - I'm enjoying it so far, although haven't figured out how not to get hit, but I'm exploring the first dungeon fairly thoroughly and am enjoying the puzzles so far. They are simple as far as I have got, but effective, and each one seems to be opening more treasure or enemies, and new pathways as well. It's pretty rewarding to explore.

I never did finish that game but I really liked it

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I appreciate A Way Out for being a good mid-budget game.

There's a scene where Leo and Vincent are interrogating a dude and you get a bunch of options for things to torture the guy with. Despite the threat though, your characters are never willing to actually torture a guy for information. It was cool and didn't annoy me like GTAV's torture scene did.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved this game and I've been thinking of replaying it to see if it holds up, so I'm hoping you post more about it :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The puzzles are definitely quite involved. I'm onto one where I need to push a block onto a spinny thing, rotate the thing and push the block to the other end to reach a platform with a switch. The puzzles really require a hell of a lot of finesse. I also like that the food autoheals you, that's nice Quality of life. Still in the first dungeon though rescuing the people who were kidnapped. Hopefully by the time I leave I'll be able to buy an equipment upgrade, but they're quite pricey.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

A Hat in Time is loving funny

(that's someone accusing me [the girl] of the murder. And it's true, she did it, look at that stare)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Despite taking place in the far future and in a completely different star system from Earth, Titanfall 2 still has a very German villain, hamming the gently caress out and generally being a dickbag. Not gonna say he was a Nazi, but also ain't gonna say he wasn't...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Been playing a lot of the Tomb Raider reboots this week and I just love Lara's totally unhinged expressions while she's brutally executing dudes. Crucially, her sudden and instantaneous transformation from nerdy archaeology grad into history's greatest monster is all played completely straight. The girl got issues.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rise gets top marks forever for the Byzantine armor outfits.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They should have called the reboot "Dude Killer" because you raid gently caress-all tombs in that game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Jesus, I do not remember that. Is it from Rise? I have it for PC but never got very far but if that's what awaits me then I'll definitely give it a second try.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah, I think so. In particular I've been playing Endurance Mode which puts you on a procedurally generated wildnerness tileset where you have to survive as long as possible fighting off hunger and cold while raiding tombs for phat loot. It's brutally hard and very addictive. I think it used to be its own DLC but now it comes packaged with the anniversary edition if you got that. Anyway if you pick the game back up I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
At that stage of her career she's more about filling tombs than emptying them.