Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

No Safe Word posted:

probably safe from a good grocery experience too unfortunately

HEB is not a good grocery experience, sorry Texans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bellum posted:

I bet your from Oklahoma

https://twitter.com/ShannonNajma/status/1273265623372627971

These aren't new cases right, these are the number of people in the hospital for covid in total?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Zil posted:

Yeah I do not envy them at all right now. My mom is a teacher in a small town and they are not even planning on going back normally this fall.

They really aren't planning anything specific yet, which makes it incredibly hard to start doing any prep work for next year one way or the other. It would be nice if I even knew for certain what classes I was going to be teaching so I could just do prep work on distance learning if that is what we end up doing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bellum posted:

The only 2 better grocery experiences I've ever had have been Hy-Vee and Publix, both of which are employee owned, and generally much more expensive than HEB.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Almost like that bunch of people taking their masks off and running down to Corpus to cram the bars and restaurants was a bad idea, huh? Who could possibly have predicted this!

Exactly. My wife works for a very very large credit union, and they've had almost no cases of COVID until the last week and a half. Everyone relaxed and now they have multiple branches out for 14 days quarantine and are stretched super thin to the point they might have to close branches due to staffing levels.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

I'm saying I'm glad I'm not a public school official. I do not see how you maintain social distancing and other preventative protocols among a bunch of 6-10 year olds and so, absent a vaccine, I don't see how you re-open schools. And if you can't re-open schools you can't "re-open" the economy because people rely on schools for daycare.

There's apparently a huge outbreak in Beijing right now and they just closed down that city's entire public education system. It doesn't seem possible that things will be back to normal in three months, especially since we're now doing nothing to stop the spread.
I don't envy them either, and I also think it's becoming harder and harder to envision a fall where school happens as normally scheduled. But I'm worried that the decision to close schools this fall will be infinitely more difficult that the decision to close them the first time back in March/April, even if it becomes obviously necessary. A whole lot of working parents have had an absolutely miserable time trying to balance work with childcare, and they're going to be understandably upset if schools get shut down again in the fall, regardless of the necessity of it.

zoux posted:

I think the most irritating thing about all this is that state republicans will pay zero price for completely loving this all up.
Can't wait for some state Republican to run on the "remember how those loser pessimist Dems cost the Aggies their 2020 football season? I'll make sure that never happens again" platform.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parents have to want to send their kids to school as well, and if there's still a pandemic raging (which seems to be likely), they won't. And schools in Texas get paid on actual attendance, so if they fully re-open schools without waiving ADA requirements, then districts are turbo-hosed and if they re-open them and waive ADA, you're still going to have massive attendance problems. Like, how do you do accountability testing when 25% of your student population has little to no attendance? So two years without standardized tests? Why go back?

https://twitter.com/AnwarRichardson/status/1273251613558407169

Hmmm hopefully they're all walk-ons

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Well, I guess you could just expose the whole football team to coronavirus right now to get it over with before the season, like those old chickenpox parties back in the day. I'm being sarcastic but as I type I realize that some athletic department types somewhere have definitely made this argument in earnest already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JFreports/status/1273269754007097345

Welp, this is going to be decided in court (the county judges aren't judges-judges, they're just the CEO of the county so he's not making a judicial proclamation here)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JFreports/status/1273269754007097345

Welp, this is going to be decided in court (the county judges aren't judges-judges, they're just the CEO of the county so he's not making a judicial proclamation here)

Would be "funny" if it was decided by the state supreme court through a zoom meeting again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

Well, I guess you could just expose the whole football team to coronavirus right now to get it over with before the season, like those old chickenpox parties back in the day. I'm being sarcastic but as I type I realize that some athletic department types somewhere have definitely made this argument in earnest already.

Oh god, don't give the boosters any ideas

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bellum posted:

Brookshires is better than HEB and if I had a choice I'd go there instead.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

zoux posted:

I bet your from Oklahoma

Florida. Publix. Where shopping is a pleasure...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lots of HEB blasphemy going on right now

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
Look. Publix is expensive, yes. But have you had a Publix sub? Why can’t I go into the deli and get an HEB sub?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Texas Politics: It's tortilla preference slapfights all the way down.

e: Kroger's fresh made flour Southwest ones for me.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 17, 2020

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

People talking about loving their grocery store because they sell deli sandwiches is p lol.

Anyway fresh H‑E‑B tortillas are dope

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Spacebump posted:

Brookshires is better than HEB and if I had a choice I'd go there instead.

Brookshires is where you go if the power is out at every other grocery store in the area.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tortillas that aren't homemade aren't worth using as frisbees let alone eating. :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jiro posted:

Tortillas that aren't homemade aren't worth using as frisbees let alone eating. :colbert:

A press is so cheap and they're not even difficult to make.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jiro posted:

I’ve started keeping a pack of Mi Tienda frozen tortillas on hand for emergencies. Couple minutes on a hot cast iron and you have passable tortillas for breakfast tacos.

Also H-E-B has good barbecue. It’s not ubiquitous, but worth a try if you’re near one of the stores with one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bellum posted:

Look. Publix is expensive, yes. But have you had a Publix sub? Why can’t I go into the deli and get an HEB sub?

No because I've never been to Flordia, of course.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

I'm saying I'm glad I'm not a public school official. I do not see how you maintain social distancing and other preventative protocols among a bunch of 6-10 year olds and so, absent a vaccine, I don't see how you re-open schools. And if you can't re-open schools you can't "re-open" the economy because people rely on schools for daycare.

There's apparently a huge outbreak in Beijing right now and they just closed down that city's entire public education system. It doesn't seem possible that things will be back to normal in three months, especially since we're now doing nothing to stop the spread.

Yeah I teach high school in a North Texas suburb and this scares the hell out of me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1273299043016495104

Well, there you go. I'd expect similar orders soon from Travis, Harris, Dallas and Tarra- well the first three anyway.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If he’s okay with “required by not enforced” why doesn’t he just do one state wide!!! Does he think he’s gonna lose a primary because he told people to wear masks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes, to Dan Patrick. Everything he does is with a potential Patrick primary challenge in mind.

Also, I think they know they hosed up with the mask thing but once you stake your claim as a conservative, you have to defend it unto death no matter how wrong you were or it's a sign of weakness.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1273309041427709953
"Ah, at last they have solved my grand riddle. Took 'em long enough, the fools. All this is their fault you see"

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 17, 2020

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Apparently DISD sent out a communication that the schools are going to reopen to what basically amounts to "business as usual"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

Apparently DISD sent out a communication that the schools are going to reopen to what basically amounts to "business as usual"

Where'd you hear that
https://twitter.com/MarshallforDISD/status/1273300763138195457

I'd be shocked if a district said anything was going to happen prior to TEA guidance

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I have too much faith that we're not living in hellword, but I don't think the "nothing is happening coronavirus is over" attitude will last long if the bodies are spilling out of the morgues and the parking lots of ICUs are full of makeshift COVID wards.

The fact that the governor feels the need to chastise young people means the denialism is already starting to break down.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

Also, I think they know they hosed up with the mask thing but once you stake your claim as a conservative, you have to defend it unto death no matter how wrong you were or it's a sign of weakness.

Yep, Abbott's going with the ol' "I meant to do that" because he realizes we need masks or we're in big trouble, but he doesn't have the stones to go back on what he said earlier.

Anyway, even Longhorns and Aggies agree on this: wear the gotdang face masks, y'all

https://twitter.com/davidluhnow/status/1273272774375567360

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I cannot get over the scolding, mocking tone of that statement by Abbott, as if he knew all along how cities and counties could impose mask regulations but he was just waiting for them to puzzle it out while saying nothing. What a piece of poo poo.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

zoux posted:

Where'd you hear that
https://twitter.com/MarshallforDISD/status/1273300763138195457

I'd be shocked if a district said anything was going to happen prior to TEA guidance

Several DISD teachers that I know. They were supposed to announce their plan on Monday and didn't, then announced it today. They were all pretty pissed about what the district said so that certainly colored how they presented it so grain of salt and all that, but what they said sounds like its going to be a disaster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I can't find word one on it anywhere, but I can find multiple sources saying as recently as yesterday that DISD is not expected to issue plans for 20-21 until next week at the earliest so maybe this is a game of Facebook telephone or something but someone in that chain seems to be misinformed. There was a draft release but it's tentative and it's certainly not "business as usual"

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009
I teach in HISD and in the last meeting we had before summer Admin were talking about doing some oil rig style 4 weeks in class 1 week off kind of schedule, where the week off could be used for credit/time recovery in case of sickness/closure. Some of my peers are predicting this will finally be the catalyst to push us into year round schooling.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wait so let me get this right. Texas government will not force people to wear masks, and will prevent local governments from forcing people to wear masks, but Texas gov encourages local governments to force businesses to force people to wear masks, but won't give them any way to enforce it?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EwokEntourage posted:

Several DISD teachers that I know. They were supposed to announce their plan on Monday and didn't, then announced it today. They were all pretty pissed about what the district said so that certainly colored how they presented it so grain of salt and all that, but what they said sounds like its going to be a disaster.

They sent out a survey districtwide asking teachers if they are willing and able to return to work in August. About two weeks ago they released a 50 page draft of their plan, but I don't think it's gone public yet. They're calling it Education Evolution, but it does basically say that we're going back to in-person teaching. An excerpt:

We did conduct checks at various campuses to identify the number of students in an average classroom that could be designed at 6 ft. apart. The experiments conducted that with only student desks and a teacher space, 19-20 desks could be in a classroom with 6ft of distance. However, in our efforts to allow a more normal classroom environment, the district will provide two sets of Plexiglas dividers for each classroom. The Plexiglas dividers, along with the face shields will allow, two groups of four in a classroom and then space to distance the remaining desks, thus allowing our classrooms a more normal and natural feel.
Physically distancing identification will be established through the utilization of graphics that each campus will receive. The graphics package is designed to identify 6 ft. from the curb to the entrance and within the hallways. Each teacher should design their classroom space and then be provided with the 6 ft. physical distancing markers to delineate this space within their individual classroom. The district will take the following measures:
Provide each campus a graphics package for 6 ft. identification
Mark hallways into two sides with periodic arrows
Establishment of various entry doors for specific grades, students, etc.
Provide Plexiglas dividers (2) for each classroom
Utilize Plexiglas dividers for all cafeteria tables
Grid mark gymnasium floors for student spacing
Identification of seating on buses, auditoriums and any other common area

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

married but discreet posted:

Wait so let me get this right. Texas government will not force people to wear masks, and will prevent local governments from forcing people to wear masks, but Texas gov encourages local governments to force businesses to force people to wear masks, but won't give them any way to enforce it?

Yes it's simple and crystal clear to anyone smarter than a local government official, much like his stay-at-home order mega-liberty and freedom order.

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1273317759846354945

https://twitter.com/TweetTonyMac/status/1273314121157615622

I believe this dude used to be gen counsel for ET so sounds like there's some, ah, heartburn over all this

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

They sent out a survey districtwide asking teachers if they are willing and able to return to work in August. About two weeks ago they released a 50 page draft of their plan, but I don't think it's gone public yet. They're calling it Education Evolution, but it does basically say that we're going back to in-person teaching. An excerpt:

We did conduct checks at various campuses to identify the number of students in an average classroom that could be designed at 6 ft. apart. The experiments conducted that with only student desks and a teacher space, 19-20 desks could be in a classroom with 6ft of distance. However, in our efforts to allow a more normal classroom environment, the district will provide two sets of Plexiglas dividers for each classroom. The Plexiglas dividers, along with the face shields will allow, two groups of four in a classroom and then space to distance the remaining desks, thus allowing our classrooms a more normal and natural feel.
Physically distancing identification will be established through the utilization of graphics that each campus will receive. The graphics package is designed to identify 6 ft. from the curb to the entrance and within the hallways. Each teacher should design their classroom space and then be provided with the 6 ft. physical distancing markers to delineate this space within their individual classroom. The district will take the following measures:
Provide each campus a graphics package for 6 ft. identification
Mark hallways into two sides with periodic arrows
Establishment of various entry doors for specific grades, students, etc.
Provide Plexiglas dividers (2) for each classroom
Utilize Plexiglas dividers for all cafeteria tables
Grid mark gymnasium floors for student spacing
Identification of seating on buses, auditoriums and any other common area

still sounds like a disaster

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EwokEntourage posted:

still sounds like a disaster.

Oh yeah. I'd like to meet the district employee that decided we'd be able to fit 20 kids in my classroom and still be socially distant. They are making provisions for having to go back to remote learning, but in the plan draft, face-to-face instruction is described as the "New Normal."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Does remote learning work? Because that plan sounds at the same time very thorough and very likely to fail. I dunno if all the face shields and plexiglass in the world will help if you insist on putting a bunch of kids in the same room 8 hours a day. If remote learning works, then may as well just stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

I cannot get over the scolding, mocking tone of that statement by Abbott, as if he knew all along how cities and counties could impose mask regulations but he was just waiting for them to puzzle it out while saying nothing. What a piece of poo poo.

He twisted himself into a pretzel to find a way to walk back his blocking of masks (an action that is now directly causing harm to the people of Texas), while still showing the required slavish devotion to the weirdo Republican myth of individualism, and managed to frame it as a dig at those dumdums in the liberal cities who just couldn't read well. It's something else.