Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Apparently some have reported that a security update has been going out to the MXP as well.

The May security update.

Sigh.

I got this update the other day, and I don't know if it was the update or something else, but I lost my flashlight toggle in the pull down menu, and the chop-to-flashlight action no longer works.

Edit: nevermind, rebooting the phone brought it back. Android! :iiam:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zorilla posted:

Your own link says it has 1 GB of RAM. Did the article get corrected since you posted it?

Not my link, I just quoted the post and allowed the nested quote to drop. I'm sure they fixed it.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

LastInLine posted:

Not my link, I just quoted the post and allowed the nested quote to drop. I'm sure they fixed it.

Oh durr, you quoted somebody else. My bad.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad has a Galaxy S6 and Maps only does the starting announcement, and doesn't say anything after that. Any ideas what's going on?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

hooah posted:

My dad has a Galaxy S6 and Maps only does the starting announcement, and doesn't say anything after that. Any ideas what's going on?

Are you connected to a car? I've noticed some cars have an issue swapping between music streaming and phone streaming modes, which some phones do improperly with the map directions.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Is Maps set to alerts only instead of turn by turn? Speaker with an exclamation point means only alerts.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Curious, has anyone heard any really concrete information on whether or not the Galaxy Note Edge is going to get Marshmallow, especially in Australia? I'm thinking about upgrading from my S4 and wanted to get the most recent Galaxy with both microSD and a swappable battery, plus the S7/S7 edge are too pricey for me.

This is the particular version I wanted to get, and it has a qualifier about being an unlocked, international model if that means anything. I've just heard a lot about how great Marshmallow supposedly is and I don't want to buy a Lollipop phone that'll never be upgraded.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

Curious, has anyone heard any really concrete information on whether or not the Galaxy Note Edge is going to get Marshmallow, especially in Australia? I'm thinking about upgrading from my S4 and wanted to get the most recent Galaxy with both microSD and a swappable battery, plus the S7/S7 edge are too pricey for me.

This is the particular version I wanted to get, and it has a qualifier about being an unlocked, international model if that means anything. I've just heard a lot about how great Marshmallow supposedly is and I don't want to buy a Lollipop phone that'll never be upgraded.

Hasn't Samsung been pretty good about updating things recently? I mean, it's not like they'll ever be actually good, but relatively good where you'll get whatever the current version is 3-4 months late and it's supported for a couple years?

Not Nexus-level support but better than the dumpster fire they were (and that Motorola/Lenovo is now)?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Hasn't Samsung been pretty good about updating things recently? I mean, it's not like they'll ever be actually good, but relatively good where you'll get whatever the current version is 3-4 months late and it's supported for a couple years?

Not Nexus-level support but better than the dumpster fire they were (and that Motorola/Lenovo is now)?

Well, they have updated a bunch of stuff, but I can't ever get a straight answer from them in terms of what will see upgrades. Not to mention that sometimes it seems a phone will get an upgrade in Korea or Taiwan, or even the US, but for some reason never get it in other countries like Australia.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

As fantastic as the Note 4 still is, it is just a couple of months away from the two year mark. The Note 7 is 2 weeks away, spending the extra money on that would be the wiser choice. Once the Note 7 is out the S7/Edge could see a price drop as well, either of those would also be a better choice.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So Ars has their Moto Z review up and it seems to be a nice phone with useless Motomods addons but this part kinda stuck out:

quote:

The new Motorola has a terrible policy when it comes to software updates. Motorola has stated the Moto Z will not be receiving Android's monthly security updates. Since the shipping version only contains the May security patch, Motorola will be shipping an insecure phone right off the bat. There's a whole list of known vulnerabilities for June and July, most of which the Moto Z will be susceptible to. This is completely unacceptable for devices costing $600 and $700.

Yeah go guck yourself Lenovo.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

As fantastic as the Note 4 still is, it is just a couple of months away from the two year mark. The Note 7 is 2 weeks away, spending the extra money on that would be the wiser choice. Once the Note 7 is out the S7/Edge could see a price drop as well, either of those would also be a better choice.

The thing is that the price difference is still pretty massive. AU$599 for the Note Edge, compared to the current prices of AU1149 for the S7 and AU$1249 for the S7edge. God knows what the new Note will cost here. I'm too used to 24-month contracts - even spending six hundred outright on a phone is a shock to me. I just wish the S6 series hadn't dropped microSD and swappable batteries. There was a sale at JB Hi-Fi on Wednesday where they had the 32GB S6edge for AU$598 - if it wasn't for those missing features I would have 100% bought it.

That said, maybe the release of the new Note (wouldn't it actually be the Note 6 and S7edge+, not Note 7?) will make that Note Edge drop even more, so yeah. :D

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

The thing is that the price difference is still pretty massive. AU$599 for the Note Edge, compared to the current prices of AU1149 for the S7 and AU$1249 for the S7edge. God knows what the new Note will cost here. I'm too used to 24-month contracts - even spending six hundred outright on a phone is a shock to me. I just wish the S6 series hadn't dropped microSD and swappable batteries. There was a sale at JB Hi-Fi on Wednesday where they had the 32GB S6edge for AU$598 - if it wasn't for those missing features I would have 100% bought it.

That said, maybe the release of the new Note (wouldn't it actually be the Note 6 and S7edge+, not Note 7?) will make that Note Edge drop even more, so yeah. :D

They decided that it's better to have the entire Galaxy line on the same number so they skipped 6, if you count the Edge the Note 7 is technically the 7th Note though anyways I suppose.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

So Ars has their Moto Z review up and it seems to be a nice phone with useless Motomods addons but this part kinda stuck out:

At no point did Ron seem to say it was a nice phone.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

They decided that it's better to have the entire Galaxy line on the same number so they skipped 6, if you count the Edge the Note 7 is technically the 7th Note though anyways I suppose.

That is the most extreme pedantry and semantics I've seen in a while. I like it.

And yeah, I looked this up after I posted before, I guess it sort of makes sense. Apparently there won't be an S7edge+ either, just a single curved-edge Note7. The curves do look cool, but I wonder how long we have to wait before my avatar is a real thing.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Shai-Hulud posted:

Haha, drat. Guess that's that then, the pure/style will pretty much be abandoned from now on.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

At no point did Ron seem to say it was a nice phone.

Fair enough. Its more my opinion than the one from the review. But I really like thin phones so I'm biased.

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket
I have a nexus 5x and I'm currently updating to the N beta. Anything I should know?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Egorger Le Chef posted:

I have a nexus 5x and I'm currently updating to the N beta. Anything I should know?

Nah, it works great. Developer preview 5 is solid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Proof will be in action and all, but it really seems like something got miscommunicated to ars for that review.

http://m.androidcentral.com/confirmed-moto-z-will-receive-security-patches

quote:

Moto Z and Moto Z Force will be supported with patches from Android Security Bulletins. They will receive an update shortly after launch with additional patches.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

bull3964 posted:

Proof will be in action and all, but it really seems like something got miscommunicated to ars for that review.

And then what?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, like I said, proof will be in action.

Granted, I don't have much faith that Lenovo is going to stay on top of updates, but they also aren't saying "no updates at all."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

but they also aren't saying "no updates at all."

Yeah no poo poo

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Egorger Le Chef posted:

You can catch kittys

I have 4

e: 5

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 22, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

BreakAtmo posted:

That is the most extreme pedantry and semantics I've seen in a while. I like it.

And yeah, I looked this up after I posted before, I guess it sort of makes sense. Apparently there won't be an S7edge+ either, just a single curved-edge Note7. The curves do look cool, but I wonder how long we have to wait before my avatar is a real thing.

The decision was most likely driven by marketing, like when Microsoft's research determined the Xbox 2 would be viewed unfavorably against the Playstation 3 so they named it the Xbox 360. I'm sure something like this also played some part in Apple's decision to skip the 7S next year and pit the iPhone 8 vs the Galaxy S8/Note 8.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So like Windows going 98 -> 2000, then MS deciding "number wars" were stupid and started doing words (XP/Vista), then going back to numbers (7/8), then skipping ahead to 10 to match Mac OSX.

Are "number wars" the newest incarnation of the spec wars?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

Apple's decision to skip the 7S next year and pit the iPhone 8 vs the Galaxy S8/Note 8.
[citation needed]

If that were the case (skipping 7S), it's likely because the 7 looks to be more of a minor update anyway, at least aesthetically. If they're saving a big redesign for the following year then it doesn't make sense to call the 2017 phone a 7S.

Uthor posted:

skipping ahead to 10 to match Mac OSX.
I doubt that was the primary reason. The average person still calls it "oh ess ecks" and that's if they even know what operating system a Mac runs.

There were also legitimate legacy software issues where poorly designed programs would key off of the OS name and "Windows 9" was used as a prefix search to execute Windows 9x codepaths. When you've built your entire OS business on the idea of backwards compatibility, making a new OS name that could jeopardize that is a bad idea.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 22, 2016

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've run into kind of an odd problem trying to move the google authenticator app to my new phone. I try to do it on my desktop but none of the options on the 2 factor authentication website work, like I can't edit any of my phone numbers or even turn off 2 factor altogether. Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Trent Razor1911 posted:

I've run into kind of an odd problem trying to move the google authenticator app to my new phone. I try to do it on my desktop but none of the options on the 2 factor authentication website work, like I can't edit any of my phone numbers or even turn off 2 factor altogether. Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

First off, you should consider Authenticator Plus so moving 2FA tokens isn't such a hassle but no, I've never had issues turning it off and then back on. Granted I only have five tokens but resetting them, while time consuming, has always just worked.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

I thought Google had a policy requiring any device sold with Google Play Services out of the box to receive at least 2 years worth of updates

Has that changed? It seems Samsung hasn't provided any updates at all for many devices

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any good screen protectors for the S6 Edge? The glass ones are crap and all the reviews for the ones on Amazon are fake.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EugeneJ posted:

I thought Google had a policy requiring any device sold with Google Play Services out of the box to receive at least 2 years worth of updates

Never was a thing. At most, it was a pledge to try to do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Has that changed? It seems Samsung hasn't provided any updates at all for many devices

Google isn't even promising this for their own devices.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

[citation needed]

If that were the case (skipping 7S), it's likely because the 7 looks to be more of a minor update anyway, at least aesthetically. If they're saving a big redesign for the following year then it doesn't make sense to call the 2017 phone a 7S.

I doubt that was the primary reason. The average person still calls it "oh ess ecks" and that's if they even know what operating system a Mac runs.

There were also legitimate legacy software issues where poorly designed programs would key off of the OS name and "Windows 9" was used as a prefix search to execute Windows 9x codepaths. When you've built your entire OS business on the idea of backwards compatibility, making a new OS name that could jeopardize that is a bad idea.

I thought my post made it pretty clear I was only speculating, like I said though, it probably was a factor in the decision, I never stated it was the primary reason.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 22, 2016

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LastInLine posted:

First off, you should consider Authenticator Plus so moving 2FA tokens isn't such a hassle but no, I've never had issues turning it off and then back on. Granted I only have five tokens but resetting them, while time consuming, has always just worked.

Why is authenticator plus better than Authy?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FunOne posted:

Is Maps set to alerts only instead of turn by turn? Speaker with an exclamation point means only alerts.

Yes, that was the first thing I checked. And to Arsten, he does use it mostly in his car, which is a Buick.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So my fully stock N5x just rebooted and now is stuck in a boot loop. I flashed the latest image, it errored while flashing system.img, I did some googling and then flashed each part separately, and it still boot loops. Great. Now what.

I'm downloading and flashing the N preview image to see what happens now.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Wacky Delly posted:

Why is authenticator plus better than Authy?

Your auth stuff isn't stored in some other, presumably not Google, cloud.

E: dang autocorrect!!!

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 23, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So my fully stock N5x just rebooted and now is stuck in a boot loop. I flashed the latest image, it errored while flashing system.img, I did some googling and then flashed each part separately, and it still boot loops. Great. Now what.

I'm downloading and flashing the N preview image to see what happens now.

Flashed N, and now it doesn't reboot after a few seconds of spinning pictures, not it just sits for ever and does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your phone is broken. Take it to the Nexus Store.