Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zegermans posted:

Linda Hamilton has a twin which made the steel mill T-1000 ending scene a lot easier

also they edited out the T-1000 glitching post-shatter and reform which let John figure out who was fake. Don't know what they changed that other than to make the T-1000 look more invincible.

This is why we need to keep Zergmans around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

this chris hooks is a pretty big shill if i remember so good riddance to the state party he so loves

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CHRIS BELLMENTUM

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Willie Tomg posted:

this is the crux of it. this is the bit where you come into the topic with a high opinion of the intercept and you think they should have done this differently because they have a lot of credibility, or you have a low opinion of the intercept in which case you're just ripping on the intercept like a dog idly chewing on a marrow bone. how would you verify printed documents given to your website's offices anonymously? what specific practices would you have followed?

everything else--the speculation of malice and stupidity and the weird greenwald fixation--is weirdly specific nonsense conjured out of nothing.

if you need to authenticate a document, it's to authenticate the contents of the document not the actual paper or anything else. i would've copied the document contents, maybe by rewriting it or something, and then given it to the government for some sort of clarification. there's no reason to send the original documents for any reason. it's not special government paper. and there's also no reason at all to send the mailing material as well.

if i was a news outlet who prided itself on being one of the places that Snowden used, i would think that i would know how to handle said material properly.

i haven't mentioned greenwald at all btw

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/895607022619471873

:thunk:

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Agnosticnixie posted:

The Hill twitter corncob thing is cute because it's transparent in how hard they're trying to turn the identity part of left language into an excuse to uphold their disgusting ideologies; fascists coopting revolutionary language in the name of reactionary positions was already a fairly old tactic at this point.

It was also great for Hilldems getting so transparently angry that the peasants would dare to point and laugh at how bad they are.

The comedian Aziz Ansari mentioned that he stopped following Trump because it's like professional wrestling at this point and that's pretty spot on on American politics as a whole. Who's Trump firing this week? What have the world's worst detectives blamed on Russia today? Are Democrats mad about Milkshake Duck yet and what tortured logic are they using to call it Trans-phobic while insinuating Chelsea Manning's not a real woman and should still be in prison at the same time? I just wish I could view this just as some hosed up reality show instead of dreading my inevitable death as these idiots set the country on fire and eventually start World War III.

Also tangent from donut gate, Nina has an interview show where she talks to various organizers and what they are doing around the country.

Latest one is about one of the organizers of the Women's March about the slow process of building an inter-sectional movement and keeping it inclusive as well as a few punches thrown at the DNC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1oQx9wR8vE

A little older, but I'm a bit partial to the one where she talks to a little Appalachian grandma about organizing in rural America :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uJRiE6Vyvc
About halfway through, Nina gets a little :supaburn: as she starts having to do damage control when Portia Boulger accuses Trump of being a sitting member of the KKK

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/chapodaphouse/status/895609120237260800

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jen Kirkman doesn't really seem to understand where this meme comes from but is having a lot of fun with it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

its too l8

its begun :negative:

donutcakepocalypse

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the new leftist emoji is the 🍻 emoji

cracking open a cold one with our comrades

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Centrists will never not self-own

Hillary_asking_why_shes_not_50_points_ahead.avi

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i feel strongly about leaks in general because whistleblowing is extremely important. snowden, manning, winner, all good people trying to do good things. but you need a middleman to facilitate the release of the documents, and that's where things can get shady. in this era of outlets meant to purposely send a certain message (wikileaks) and harsh sentences, trust in said media outlets is important especially when they are the only thing between you and jail

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i don't think intercept did it on purpose, but the fact that it was hugely incompetent is pretty much without dispute. printer dots are common knowledge in privacy community, the eff flagged the practice well over a decade ago. the intercept also told the government that the package was postmarked from augusta, georgia, something that would not aid the authentication of the document but definitely did aid in outing the source. the intercept is not the only source to ever bungle something like this (notably, nyt had an embarrassing fuckup trying to redact snowden documents but left the underlying data recoverable by copying/pasting the redacted text in adobe acrobat) but it does basically leave open the question as to why you would ever leak to them.

also, the intercept once posted this article:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

i feel strongly about leaks in general because whistleblowing is extremely important. snowden, manning, winner, all good people trying to do good things. but you need a middleman to facilitate the release of the documents, and that's where things can get shady. in this era of outlets meant to purposely send a certain message (wikileaks) and harsh sentences, trust in said media outlets is important especially when they are the only thing between you and jail

it seems like the best course of action is to send this stuff to like wapo+nyt+some other outlet that's not going to hold back on the contents but can keep you reasonably safe

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't think intercept did it on purpose, but the fact that it was hugely incompetent is pretty much without dispute. printer dots are common knowledge in privacy community, the eff flagged the practice well over a decade ago. the intercept also told the government that the package was postmarked from augusta, georgia, something that would not aid the authentication of the document but definitely did aid in outing the source. the intercept is not the only source to ever bungle something like this (notably, nyt had an embarrassing fuckup trying to redact snowden documents but left the underlying data recoverable by copying/pasting the redacted text in adobe acrobat) but it does basically leave open the question as to why you would ever leak to them.

fake news

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

logikv9 posted:

if you need to authenticate a document, it's to authenticate the contents of the document not the actual paper or anything else. i would've copied the document contents, maybe by rewriting it or something, and then given it to the government for some sort of clarification. there's no reason to send the original documents for any reason. it's not special government paper. and there's also no reason at all to send the mailing material as well.

if i was a news outlet who prided itself on being one of the places that Snowden used, i would think that i would know how to handle said material properly.

i haven't mentioned greenwald at all btw

as a journalist authenticating the document is exactly what you need to do, because when you transcribe that stuff the government can be totally honest in saying "we cannot confirm the authenticity of these documents' content" because the content could just be someone writing antigovernment fanficiton. what they'd actually be looking for is the stuff they ultimately used to arrest and charge reality winner--formatting and transparent printer watermarks and so forth. assuming you actually care about verifying content, and aren't just gonna believe any old thing because the intercept published it, this is pretty much the only recourse for an anonymous document dump mailed to your office. chelsea manning got busted almost immediately for similar but not identical reasons.

the two big examples of people doing this and getting away are mark felt and edward snowden, and both of them didn't just mail poo poo and go "trust me this is legit" they did Actual Espionage to meet journos face to face. edward snowden literally went around the world to escape surveilance and will probably die in moscow for doing so because snowden providing on-record statements was a critical component of the story so greenwald didn't have to ask the NSA "hey, is this guy selling you out for real?" felt didn't reveal himself until a year or two before he died and arguably only did so because he didn't want alzheimers to rob him of the most positive thing he'd done in his life.

you did not mention greenwald tho, that was some other dude doing that apropos of nothing and i shouldn't lump yall together, my bad.

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Aug 10, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Concerned Citizen posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/895607433736880128

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/cblechman/status/895613218097213440

The PoC defender has logged on

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

haha I remember how much peoeple freaked the gently caress out about this headline

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

logikv9 posted:

I'm glad you've discovered this passion, and at such a convenient time.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

hitlery just needs a hitler stach in that pic

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/895544854767325185/photo/1

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

logikv9 posted:

i agree with this. i guess my damage is ultimately concern trolls who are 100% cool with the surveillance state and forever wars, and totally would have believed The Intercept out of hand :rolleyes: except oh, they actually took steps to make their story more than a Daily Mailbag feature and this changes everything in ways that oh-so-conveniently malign one of the few platforms that provides a voice to these leaks in ways that, coincidentally, also line up with the never-met Calvinball criteria of whoever provides leaked info to anyone anywhere.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Iron Twinkie posted:

It was also great for Hilldems getting so transparently angry that the peasants would dare to point and laugh at how bad they are.

The comedian Aziz Ansari mentioned that he stopped following Trump because it's like professional wrestling at this point and that's pretty spot on on American politics as a whole. Who's Trump firing this week? What have the world's worst detectives blamed on Russia today? Are Democrats mad about Milkshake Duck yet and what tortured logic are they using to call it Trans-phobic while insinuating Chelsea Manning's not a real woman and should still be in prison at the same time? I just wish I could view this just as some hosed up reality show instead of dreading my inevitable death as these idiots set the country on fire and eventually start World War III.

as someone that watches wrestling trust me. trump's presidency is orders of magnitude better than anything vince mcmahon and the hack writers he hires could come up with

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

holy poo poo :stare:

I had to click away from that second tweet because I was straight-up not comfortable having it on my screen

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

:yum: those white liberal allies

that's probably jeffersonclay's twitter

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

W O K E

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'd like to see someone call on hillary to disown her racist af extremely online people

INITIALCUMOFFERING
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

reminder: by continuing to support the democrats in any way shape or form you continue to willfully associate in some infinitesimal way with these people

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Followup:

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/895547185047011329

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm glad you've discovered this passion, and at such a convenient time.

Y... .yeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Serf
May 5, 2011

mike rowe will be remembered by few in the future for his role as a prominent class traitor

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

mike rowe will be remembered by few in the future for his role as a prominent class traitor

mike rowe will be the last to get the guillotine, forced to watch the working class he cosplays as strike down the bougie pricks he flies in first class with

INITIALCUMOFFERING
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The "wonk" creed.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Wait, what the hell is going on?

This Nina Turner/Donut thing is breaking my brain. What is #RESISTANCE twitter even doing right now?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

you mean like your first career in the blue collar world of opera singing

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Montasque posted:

What is #RESISTANCE twitter even doing right now?

Turning rich white liberals' violent hatred of black people into political catharsis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Montasque posted:

Wait, what the hell is going on?

This Nina Turner/Donut thing is breaking my brain. What is #RESISTANCE twitter even doing right now?

Revealing the racism they normally keep behind closed doors.

• Locked thread