Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Lord Koth posted:

Unassisted point captures and base defense awards are worth far more EXP than they probably should be.

I much prefer this to the open beta days when capping and defending were worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Bismarck being better than Tirpitz is fine, good in fact. The problem is the Tirpitz was already a really good ship, the Bismarck is a bit much.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Welp, bought the weekend pass thingy. Gotta take advantage of port slots being 50% off. :getin:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Sperglord Actual posted:

I much prefer this to the open beta days when capping and defending were worthless.

Hell, I've had games where I've barely broken 10K damage yet finished in the top 3 due to capping :getin:

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Do I want to purchase the C-class hull for the Omaha? I know I have to research it (I've saved it for last). Just wondering if all that extra AA is worth is, considering I never seem to end up in an AA role. I feel like maybe 20% of my games have carriers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lord Koth posted:

The dumbest thing about the Bismarck/Tirpitz comparison is that their AA suites really need to be switched. So, WG, the ship that sunk in 1941, after being crippled by goddamn biplanes, somehow has better AA than a ship that survived until 1944, having its AA continuously upgraded and added onto during that time. Sure.

More to the mechanical point, Bismarck has more advantages over its premium counterpart than any of the other comparisons. Significantly longer ranged secondaries as opposed to torpedoes is reasonably evened out, but then it gets both Hydroacoustic AND a significantly better AA suite on top of that. One or the other would have been fine, but both?
I don't know what the AA suites were in real life but consider that the "Bismark" in game is not specifically the Bismark, but a generic "Bismark class", so it wouldn't surprise me if they used an earlier AA fit for the Tirpitz while the "Bismark" got a later IRL Tirpitz refit. I want to say it's kind of like the Arkansas/Wyoming, where the "Wyoming" gets a hull fit that only the Arkansas got in real life while the Arkansas gets stuck with an early hull, but I'm not completely sure about that so don't quote me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Insert name here posted:

I don't know what the AA suites were in real life but consider that the "Bismark" in game is not specifically the Bismark, but a generic "Bismark class", so it wouldn't surprise me if they used an earlier AA fit for the Tirpitz while the "Bismark" got a later IRL Tirpitz refit. I want to say it's kind of like the Arkansas/Wyoming, where the "Wyoming" gets a hull fit that only the Arkansas got in real life while the Arkansas gets stuck with an early hull, but I'm not completely sure about that so don't quote me.

Yeah, IIRC the Tirpitz lost its torpedo tubes IRL at some point when they were adding the AA.

So it goes something like:
Bismark A hull: Bismark as sunk
Tirpitz: Tirpitz in its last torpedo-having configuration
Bismark B hull: Tirpitz as sunk

There's probably deviations from all of those since those were just now pulled out of my rear end with zero research, but that's basically what I feel is the intention.

Also the top hull of a ship having better AA than its premium version is the way it's supposed to be IIRC.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

No, the paid-exclusive premiums of ships already existing on the tech tree are supposed to be different, or have unique features, but not necessarily better or worse than the tech tree counterparts. Tirpitz was marketed as having the different feature of torpedoes instead of long-range secondaries, but then they piled on multiple other features for Bismarck. Also, even if inferior AA was supposed to be the standard, it should not really mean Bismarck should have that much more AA than Tirpitz does (Tirpitz AA: 239, 155 discounting the 2 km guns. Bismarck AA: 374, 236 discounting the 2 km guns. Bismarck stock is 202 (154 being 3.5+).

Ones that I recall off the top of my head aside from Tirpitz.

USS Texas: New York-class battleship that exchanges its center turret for much improved AA. Honestly more powerful than the normal one given the middle turret tends to be a trap anyways, but it is still a noticeable change.

Murmansk: Omaha-class cruiser that's better than its tech tree counterpart in basically every single way for no adequately explained reason (other than Russian bias; seriously, they're even using the same loving Mark of torpedo). Supposed special feature was the inclusion of a scout plane instead of a fighter.

Lo Yang: A Benson-class destroyer (it's literally USS Benson) that exchanges a gun for access to Hydroacoustic Search. Some other minor stat changes.

Prinz Eugen: Effectively just a skin of the Admiral Hipper with some extremely minor stat increases and decreases. There's a reason WG releasing the ship as it currently is was mocked so much.

Currently lacking a tech tree counterpart, but...
Atago: A Takao-class cruiser that uniquely possesses the Repair Party ability at T8. Presumably the tech tree version when it releases will lack that but theoretically gain something else.

Marblehead is discounted since it originally was released for free, as are the Kamikaze R and Fujin (and they don't technically have a tech tree counterpart anyways, being separate, though highly similar, classes than Minekaze). Arkansas Beta similarly was never a paid premium, and those sorts of reward ships are normally inferior to the tech tree versions.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 18, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

M.C. McMic posted:

Do I want to purchase the C-class hull for the Omaha? I know I have to research it (I've saved it for last). Just wondering if all that extra AA is worth is, considering I never seem to end up in an AA role. I feel like maybe 20% of my games have carriers.

Yes, because it also gives you an extra 2KM range on the guns. Why? Because Wargaming, that's why.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MadJackMcJack posted:

Yes, because it also gives you an extra 2KM range on the guns. Why? Because Wargaming, that's why.

It was their way of trying to correct some of the balance fuckups they made on Murmansk vs Omaha.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

USS Texas: New York-class battleship that exchanges its center turret for much improved AA. Honestly more powerful than the normal one given the middle turret tends to be a trap anyways, but it is still a noticeable change.

Texas still has the center turret, but it's got a better arc than New York's. Both the mid turret and aft mast are slightly aft of New York's. It hinders the Texas' number four turret by a couple of degrees, but overall allows the Texas to fire all its guns at a better angle than New York. The only downsides to the Texas are losing about a knot of speed and a slightly slower rudder.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dublish posted:

Texas still has the center turret, but it's got a better arc than New York's. Both the mid turret and aft mast are slightly aft of New York's. It hinders the Texas' number four turret by a couple of degrees, but overall allows the Texas to fire all its guns at a better angle than New York. The only downsides to the Texas are losing about a knot of speed and a slightly slower rudder.

Whoops, didn't remember the difference correctly. So instead of mostly better but still a noticeable firepower difference, it's simply better - almost full stop.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Is that 3 point dogfighting skill even worth it for carrier captains? It seems like you'd very rarely ever face "fighters of a higher tier." Especially after you get to the only 1 carrier per side tiers.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

No. You take torpedo acceleration instead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Is that 3 point dogfighting skill even worth it for carrier captains? It seems like you'd very rarely ever face "fighters of a higher tier." Especially after you get to the only 1 carrier per side tiers.

The only even fringe recommendation would be for players planning to keep a captain on either a Hiryuu or Ranger, since the Saipan with its T9 fighters is also sitting at that tier. Other than that? No, there's literally no reason to take the skill. And even then you'd be better served taking something else.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

There was a patch where the skill was accidentally giving a 100% bonus per tier instead of 10%, and even though players realized and reported it within hours I think it took them like a couple weeks to fix it. So people stopped using anything bigger than a Langley or Hosho which was kinda nice.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Heartcatch posted:

No. You take torpedo acceleration instead.

Thanks, guys. That was my feeling looking at the skill description. The dogfighting skill just seems so terrible, I thought I might be missing something.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
At what tier do Russian DDs get good?

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Depends on the definition of "good", but pretty much all of them are average to above average. I'd say IV, V, and VIII are the weakest ships in the line relative to their tier, though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ZombieLenin posted:

They're all "decent", the Kiev at 7 is a standout and sets the tone for the rest of the line. The Tashkent at 8 isn't much of an upgrade over the Kiev, though, but T9 Udaloi and T10 Khabarovsk are both very strong DDs. So much so that they're getting nerfed (the Khab certainly deserves it). Before 7, they're not as zippy, but they still play like really fragile CLs. Except they don't have citadels, so they're actually a little better at the job.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Thanks, guys. That was my feeling looking at the skill description. The dogfighting skill just seems so terrible, I thought I might be missing something.

The skill for that was put in place back when cv wasn't forceably tier balanced. Sadly, even when a tier 6 cv fought against a tier 9 cv, that skill did not help the tier 6 at all. In fact, the tier 6 was better off just exiting to port because the limited plane hangars at those tiers unlike the tier 9s plus the large power difference meant any encounter with the enemy fighters was just instant death of the entire squad. They definitely need to revisit that skill now that matchmaker doesn't allow for tier spread on CVs anymore. I'll be curious if it just becomes a flat fighter damage buff, or something else. Torp accel is just so powerful for them even though the skill shouldn't be working for carriers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
While I agree that the skill is worthless and needs to be changed saying that it's not possible to see higher tier CVs is wrong. You can still see higher tier CVs if you're playing in a T4-6 CV, and only T7 and up can't see higher tier CVs due to the rule of T8+ matches only being able to see 1 CV thus indirectly making it so if you get a 2 CV game in a T7 the other CV can only be T6 or T7.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Saipan's planes are T9. So a +20% damage boost for Hiryu/Ranger, and 30% if you get a double CV as a Ryujo/Indy. Its not really going to stop the Saipan from wrecking your poo poo, though. Only a pure AS setup Ranger would really benefit, one that's taking the 2 fighter 2 DB loadout and doesn't intend to use their commander for the Lexington later. If they did, they'd want Torp Accel.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Torpedo Acceleration became near-mandatory for CVs when they nerfed aerial dropped torpedoes to be slow as hell. Without it, almost all destroyers along with some cruisers can actually outrun them. At least with the skill it's only Russian destroyers that can do that.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
As a proud new Bismark owner with a 15 point captain (and free xp's B hull): This ship is OP to the max. I expect a nerf. I get 80-100k damage games without any effort. It's beautiful when a BB just chases me while I kite him for 200 secondary hits and numerous fires, all the while shooting someone else with my main guns.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Tirpitz: still p2w goodness.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

I am sorry low tier seals but I want to complete this ARP mission and also be ready to unlock the new IJN DD branch when it comes out.

Hazdoc, the real reason IJN DDs keep getting nerfed.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Saipan's planes are T9. So a +20% damage boost for Hiryu/Ranger, and 30% if you get a double CV as a Ryujo/Indy. Its not really going to stop the Saipan from wrecking your poo poo, though. Only a pure AS setup Ranger would really benefit, one that's taking the 2 fighter 2 DB loadout and doesn't intend to use their commander for the Lexington later. If they did, they'd want Torp Accel.

While that perhaps helps, I still don't see the boost helping enough judging from past experience. A 15 point saipan captain is still going to be trouble, even with the dogfighter skill on a 15 point captain honestly. But who knows, air combat in this game is some black voodoo magic. For all the grief we give rng for the gun dispersion, the rng that dictates plane kills is god awful bad.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://na.warships.today/player/1015370677/MizzouRT

:wtc:

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

They played one really good game? Not sure what's out the ordinary here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kim Jong ill posted:

They played one really good game? Not sure what's out the ordinary here.

One PvP game - then nothing but PvE. In short, the person just 'gave up.'

You might laud them for deciding to 'win' a Wargaming game by choosing not to play with other humans.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Welp, missed out on the Life and Soul of the Party cheevo because nobody ever sends compliments in game, and hence missed the King of the Party one as well.

I would have thought by now Wargaming had learned not to put any achievement behind a gate that relies on another player, but apparently not.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Does torp acceleration decrease the distance required for arming?

Also what would be a funny gimmick for upcoming RN cruisers? Maybe accoustic homing torpedoes? I can't really think of what another gimmick that isn't in the game already.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

No. Arming time remains the same.

RN cruisers will have a BV in every compartment. That will be their gimmick.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Welp, missed out on the Life and Soul of the Party cheevo because nobody ever sends compliments in game, and hence missed the King of the Party one as well.

I would have thought by now Wargaming had learned not to put any achievement behind a gate that relies on another player, but apparently not.

"Hey can someone give me a compliment for the achievement? I will compliment right back for you."

Takes all the effort of writing one line in the chat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Junkozeyne posted:

"Hey can someone give me a compliment for the achievement? I will compliment right back for you."

Takes all the effort of writing one line in the chat.

You say that like I didn't try it

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

Bismarck being better than Tirpitz is fine, good in fact. The problem is the Tirpitz was already a really good ship, the Bismarck is a bit much.

Me and my struggle for as much realism as possible; but, Bismark should have been the premium and Tirpitz the tier 8. She was a better, improved upon Bismark.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I grabbed the Bismark on sale, and am having fun but not much luck with it. 150 secondary hits a game is great, less so when you're the first target for any carrier for some reason.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ZombieLenin posted:

Me and my struggle for as much realism as possible; but, Bismark should have been the premium and Tirpitz the tier 8. She was a better, improved upon Bismark.

Tech tree ships are the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm closing in on my 15 point German BB captain which will be manual secondaries. I'm still on the Bayern, which I like, and will be stopping at Bismarck. I just don't care about grinding for the Grosser Wurstfurst. These dragon flags should help me push over the edge.

Also going to keep going on my US DD captain for Concealment Expert, though I'm thinking of skipping CE for my Russian DD captain and just getting DE on top of AFT.