Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

NihilCredo posted:

It's a money option, but the IV-Four sports a 30% ballistic cooldown (plus various other strong quirks) and can go around 80kph with jump jets. Something like this? Main downside are the low and arm-mounted hardpoints, but those should be less important for a LBX ambusher.

Important disclaimer: May 16th will throw all balance out of the window so this is a terrible time to purchase mechs in general, and a double terrible time to purchase mechs on the basis of their quirks. Also there's no sale going on.

Yeah, a lot of the hero mechs are getting shafted by the dequirking coming with the skill tree. The IV4 is going to be losing a lot of its cooldown, and off the top of my head the Arrow is going to be a big turd because it is losing its 20% duration quirk while gaining nothing in return. The Top Dog is still going to be safe if anyone has an urge to buy hero mechs for some awful reason, but I would heavily recommend waiting until there's a 50% off sale to buy hero mechs (Or, alternatively, not doing it at all until we know MWO hasn't killed itself with the skill tree/new tech.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

That reminds me, this weekend I should set up a drop deck with only my most quirked mechs for one last hurrah.

fake edit: As it happens, Stalker-3H + Thunderbolt-9S and -9SE + Centurion-D are exactly 265 tons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Commoners posted:

Yeah, a lot of the hero mechs are getting shafted by the dequirking coming with the skill tree. The IV4 is going to be losing a lot of its cooldown, and off the top of my head the Arrow is going to be a big turd because it is losing its 20% duration quirk while gaining nothing in return. The Top Dog is still going to be safe if anyone has an urge to buy hero mechs for some awful reason, but I would heavily recommend waiting until there's a 50% off sale to buy hero mechs (Or, alternatively, not doing it at all until we know MWO hasn't killed itself with the skill tree/new tech.)

Yeah, I'm sitting on something like 3k MC from the last few events and I'm holding off to see what comes on sale.

Worst case if I hoard enough long enough I'll grab the hero Night Gyr. That thing has good enough mounts and jumpjets, so it should always be relevant . Plus, omni, so you can roll with the punches as far as shifting metas go.

edit: the real question is going to be what happens when the new weapons drop. The Black Widow is a good example of this. 2 UAC10s plus sundry other bullshit might make it a mean mech again, especially in a world where most things lost their quirks.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
What is the point of the hero/champion mechs post skill-tree? Just different camos and sometimes different hardpoints?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Saddest Robot posted:

What is the point of the hero/champion mechs post skill-tree? Just different camos and sometimes different hardpoints?

cbill bonus on the heroes, exp bonus on the champions (the champions were always kind of stupid).

The better heroes were always good based on hard points rather than quirks. This is why the Top Dog is still probably going to be good.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i had way too much fun piloting the iv-four and other unqiue special snowflake mechs

gently caress you pgi

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Most of the time hero mechs exist for the sake of fulfilling some gimmick. The IV4 is the only quickdraw with ballistic mounts, the top dog is one of two mechs in the IS that has 9 energy mounts. The arrow is the only IS non-assault that has 6 ballistic slots of machine guns. Most of the really bad heroes are the ones that fulfill no gimmick and have no purpose that isn't already fulfilled by either A) their own variants or B) another mech with an extremely similar tonnage, but is also not an MC cost.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I know it's fun to bag on Lurms, but Uacs feel just as stupid. Playing a 10/5 boat I just mash one key and out trade everything inside 600m with zero effort.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I know it's fun to bag on Lurms, but Uacs feel just as stupid. Playing a 10/5 boat I just mash one key and out trade everything inside 600m with zero effort.

Yeah, but a UAC boat is an actual threat as opposed to a LRMboat that is a total team liability.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The issue with lurms here isn't that they're easy, it's that they're bad. They take so long to reach the target that outside of like 300m your opponent just ducks behind something and you never hit them; inside of 300m, they just rush you and destroy you thanks to minimum range. They also spread damage like crazy, are vulnerable to AMS, and require you to stare your target in the face to maintain a lock, which means they can shoot you wherever they want with real guns and still have time to slide back into cover.

I don't think anyone here will rag on them for being unfun in particular, it's that teammtes who take them usually don't contribute, and in particular they usually don't contribute in a way that hurts the team. A bad brawler will rush in and die but they will at least draw fire, make the enemies hotter, give you a potential opening to do damage or get kills. Lurms just sit in the back, making everyone else use up their armor without really contributing much in the way of effective damage in return.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Commoners posted:

Yeah, but a UAC boat is an actual threat as opposed to a LRMboat that is a total team liability.

Maybe if you held locks I could do something with these LRMs :mrgw:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
No guys lrms are good look at my lrm-80 stalker's damage score.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

The Saddest Robot posted:

No guys lrms are good look at my lrm-80 stalker's damage score.

"Hold R for the rain!" I yell to my team from my LRM-100 Summoner.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cyrano4747 posted:

cbill bonus on the heroes, exp bonus on the champions (the champions were always kind of stupid).

The better heroes were always good based on hard points rather than quirks. This is why the Top Dog is still probably going to be good.

The Ilya might actually be viable again.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

The Ilya might actually be viable again.

The cataphract as a chassis is obsolete and the only thing that can bring it out of obscurity is having amazing quirks, which it does not.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Skippy McPants posted:

This is why people bag on Lurms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCnhoHlTV68

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Well this just happened https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/862933149843673088

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

i need to know what to feel about this, someone tell me how to feel

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

When I said yesterday that SRMs are "secretly" good and that they are hard to use, I meant for these kinds of people. I mean, the guy is shooting his LRMs straight into the ground and walls. I said it before but I say it again, it seems that many people are playing this game on a touchpad/steam controller, their movements aren't smooth and constant, they are very jerky, never being able to keep the reticle on the enemy while it is moving.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

TjyvTompa posted:

As someone whose only exposure to Battletech is from MWO this year, this is how I feel.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TjyvTompa posted:

It's likely just more art assets. If we are really lucky, Hare Brained Schemes will be involved in fixing MWO's many...many flaws. At the least, they may be involved in the new Mechwarrior single player game. That's my guess.

It's nice to get in a game once and a while where the match could go either way, and our yell boss isn't just pissing and moaning, but congratulating people on a match well played. I know the faction war fare stuff can be garbage, but once and a while you get that nice match that is really tense and fun for both sides.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The announcement is separate form MWO and concerns HBS's table top-esque Battletech game that they kickstarted a year or two back. They're bringing on Paradox to help with marketing and extra funds for testing so they can ship their product more quickly.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The announcement is separate form MWO and concerns HBS's table top-esque Battletech game that they kickstarted a year or two back. They're bringing on Paradox to help with marketing and extra funds for testing so they can ship their product more quickly.

Time to wait for three expansions for it to be really good

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I haven't played in ages, but I'm really happy this is still a term in use in goon MWO playing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The Repo Man posted:

It's nice to get in a game once and a while where the match could go either way, and our yell boss isn't just pissing and moaning, but congratulating people on a match well played. I know the faction war fare stuff can be garbage, but once and a while you get that nice match that is really tense and fun for both sides.
My Tukayyid experience has been: playing last Sunday was miserable as all but one Invasion matches were stomps and about half of the Scouting matches as well. I logged out pretty quickly, rewards or not.

But I've played for the last three evenings and all the 12-mans were nowhere to be seen and it's been a blast. I think the most lopsided match I've had still went something like 28-48? Most games are fairly even, and I've had some legit nailbiters. There's usually two to four players on mics wrangling pubbies and calling targets, with very varying degrees of success.

I do wonder if it's just a coincidence - the tug-of-war is still all the way to the left so the stomps must be happening somewhere. But on the other side, it makes sense that all the coordinated groups would be playing in the weekend while the weekday evenings would be the realm of pugs.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

Ugh. Paradox.

That's how I feel.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

The level of betrayal I felt when Harebrained Schemes announced their new publisher tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

TjyvTompa posted:

Paradox is a good company and has a lot of money to pour into good games :feelsgood:.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We should all join in a suicide pact this instant.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Skoll posted:

We should all join in a suicide pact this instant.

I'm in, you go first.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

nothing, really. paradox interactive is a publisher, not a developer. this doesn't change anything other than possibly bringing the harebrained battletech game closer to launch, and doesn't have anything to do with MWO or MW5

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

I'm in, you go first.

I did, this is my ghost shitposting.

Cease to Hope posted:

nothing, really. paradox interactive is a publisher, not a developer. this doesn't change anything other than possibly bringing the harebrained battletech game closer to launch, and doesn't have anything to do with MWO or MW5

Much as I dislike :pgi: & Paradox, I would probably play a Paradox helmed MW5.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
everybody buy rising storm 2 and come and play it with me

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why do you dislike paradox?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Harebrained put out a message to backers to say that Paradox is only advertising, and increasing revenue for the Battle tech game so it can get done faster. Also playable demo in June.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why do you dislike paradox?

As I said in the KS Battletech thread, they killed two games I really enjoyed via this mishandling. I could go into detail but I'm leaving for a crab dinner soon so you can just google the War of the Roses / War of the Vikings drama that happened and the lovely way Paradox tried to reimburse people.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

ZombyDog posted:

Ok I've decided that my current mech stable was getting really stale so I've started mucking about with Griffins, I've got my GRF-1N 3xML SRM 18 STD 275 & 5xJJs which I'm pretty chuffed about, deadsiding up into the grill of a cranky Mad-IIC and dumping a load into his face on my first run, I've built a GRF-2N 2xML SRM 20 STD 275 & ECM & 4xJJs that I'm yet to drop in but should be pretty meaty for CW scouting but I'm not sure what I should do for a third.

My best Griffin is the GRF-3M using a 300XL, 2JJ, 4SRM4+Artemis, 2ML.

It wrecks poo poo at 95kph with precise short range damage and rolls damage really well. You must use the big arms to soak incoming fire, though, as the XL penalizes mistakes heavily.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Regarding Paradox, well, I'll just quote Wikipedia here:

quote:

Paradox is known for producing extensive DLC for their games. The amount of DLC for their games is extremely large, tending towards the dozens and in the end tending to cost many times the original game price. Many of the individual DLCs are either trivial (art packs, introduction of a few neutral units, adding a few story steps) or are major system fixes that are virtually required to make the game playable. Thus many gamers avoid Paradox games due to feeling that they abuse the DLC system, nikel-and-diming the player base. [9][10][11]

I don't think it's entirely fair, but for people who object to Paradox games, that's why. See, the thing is, they are behind a lot of games that are niche, but very good- Stellaris, Crusader Kings II, Cities Skylines, those kinds of games. Without Paradox, most of them probably wouldn't have been made, or at the very least, they would never have managed to pick up the kind of success they've had. And they are all good games, but the caveat, as that Wikipedia quote thrusts at, is that all of them released in a state that almost everyone felt was mediocre and sort of unfinished. It's only after a year or two of patching, updates, and DLC that the games start to come into their own. Stellaris is a great example, it came out just about a year ago now, and while it was fairly solid it just sort of felt... empty. There wasn't a lot of meat to it. One year and six major patches plus two big DLCs (and a few smaller ones) later, it's really shaping up, it's a fun, lively game.

And I assume that the people who are leery here are the ones with this experience. Will Paradox's money help make the game successful through advertising, marketing, PR, and game money funding? Almost certainly. Will it come with strings attached meaning the game comes out half-done with updates & DLC eventually fixing the game? We'll see.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So when can I play beta, god damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

veedubfreak posted:

So when can I play beta, god damnit.

play with urself if u get what i mean