Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Tiggum posted:

D&D using 5'x5' squares/cubes for everything is dumb. That's too big. A human takes up a 5'x5' area of floorspace? How big are these humans? Are they walking around with their arms stretched out? A door is 5' wide? Have you ever seen a door? 1m (or 3', I guess, if you insist on American units) would be a much better size.

If I remember correctly the one medium sized creature / 5 foot square is just in combat. Represent the amount of space that you take up when you're actively trying to swat things around you with a sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress is a better X-Men story than any actual X-Men story.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/823383974579945472

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Just get some of your friends on board and play then - or play a better RPG because D&D is overly complicated and not very interesting. Or if your friends aren't interested, look up a game shop near where you live and go in there and ask if they run D&D games and if there's a group you can join.

what is "friends"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm gonna claim that the vast majority of adults, myself included, do not have friends they could talk into playing tabletop RPGs with them, and especially not consistently over and over again.

That is the kind of thing you do when you are a kid. Old men work, drink booze, and eat rear end.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I'm gonna claim that the vast majority of adults, myself included, do not have friends they could talk into playing tabletop RPGs with them, and especially not consistently over and over again.

That is the kind of thing you do when you are a kid. Old men work, drink booze, and eat rear end.

my problem with them is taking them seriously. I got uninvited from one because I kept showing up hammered on steel reserve demanding to do logical things and they kept being like "you can't do that do we have to read the rules to you again" and yeah they loving did because the rules are boring let me cast a spell

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

my problem with them is taking them seriously. I got uninvited from one because I kept showing up hammered on steel reserve demanding to do logical things and they kept being like "you can't do that do we have to read the rules to you again" and yeah they loving did because the rules are boring let me cast a spell

You disrespected the game and frankly they should've slapped you on your way out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Don't care, it's a poo poo game. If it was a real game like risk i would have brought my A game

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

D&D as adults can be fun but it depends 1000% on who you're playing with and what your attitude is. I've had some truly awful experiences finding random groups, but also some really great ones. The current trend in LA of having out-of-work actors livestream their sessions can die in a fire though, I don't know who enjoys watching that.

This was cute though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3658C2y4LlA

Colbert has insane RPG OG creds (like "Oh I used to watch the Beatles try out songs in Berlin, they were rubbish" levels of cred) and this was his first time playing a game since the 80s, and since it's only like 40 minutes there's very little fat. You can see how old-school Colbert is in his play too, being ultra-cautious to the point where the DM has to remind him that this is all a charity event and he's not gonna get ganked by some bullshit trap.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Do you bring it to the realest game of all, life?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

you mean Colbert's script writer has insane RPG OG creds

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Matt Mercer does the voice of Mcree in overwatch and he's a cool dude (that's the DM in the vid).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

you mean Colbert's script writer has insane RPG OG creds

Nah homeboy is legit. He's joked about it for years and you can see in the vid he knows his poo poo.

doverhog posted:

Do you bring it to the realest game of all, life?

yeah i eat rear end

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sports in which the players use some kind of tool are almost always worse than sports in which they don’t. Football and basketball are better than baseball and hockey but so are soccer, handball, volleyball, and maybe rugby. Tennis is cool though (and I would get more into hockey if it didn’t overlap so much with basketball season).

I will not elaborate on this because i think it’s coincidental that my sports taste went that way but it’s a pattern!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So you'd agree then MMA is the best sport?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

Combat sports are their own separate category of stuff that I don’t understand. Unless you count Battlebots.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

I sure do!

Edit:
PHUO: People who complain about "real" mayo being labeled as such have no one but themselves to blame for buying Miracle Whip.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Jun 13, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Nah homeboy is legit. He's joked about it for years and you can see in the vid he knows his poo poo.

yeah i eat rear end

All i see is a late night host reading off his teleprompter. Colbert is a fraud and I don't like him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All i see is a late night host reading off his teleprompter. Colbert is a fraud and I don't like him.

I get it. I don't like Fallon either.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Combat sports are their own separate category of stuff that I don’t understand. Unless you count Battlebots.

In theory MMA is interesting but in practice it just reminds me how horrible actual fights are.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I get it. I don't like Fallon either.

Fallon is in another league. He'd even double over laughing slapping his desk at my own posts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jimmy Fallon? The only thing he should host is a parasite.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Colbert is a liberal and I don't like him.

Gripweed posted:

Agreed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Please don't alter my incredibly well thought out words. I hate Colbert for a lot of reasons. That's not the one. I would like to shove his hipster frames up his rear end though.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Please don't alter my incredibly well thought out words. I hate Colbert for a lot of reasons. That's not the one. I would like to shove his hipster frames up his rear end though.

After your whole "lefter than thou" schtick, Colbert's collaboration with the right-wing media isn't one of your issues with him?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Colbert is absolutely a showbiz phony, no arguments there, but the devil is in the details. All I'm saying is that when you're in the know about nerdy poo poo like Tolkein or D&D-- and that isn't gatekeeping or anything, anyone can learn it-- you can see lots of little details that a poser would either get wrong or not think to include at all, so he's either a masterful poser with a truly dedicated long-term writing staff or he's legit.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've watched Battlebots and like half the teams bring bots that are not really intended to win, they have features that clearly don't work, like flame throwers of whatever. Spinning drums or disks are to battlebots what wrestling is to MMA.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

doverhog posted:

I've watched Battlebots and like half the teams bring bots that are not really intended to win, they have features that clearly don't work, like flame throwers of whatever. Spinning drums or disks are to battlebots what wrestling is to MMA.

The best robot, back in the old days, was the one that was super low to the ground and incredibly flat, its bottom inclined to its top like a wedge.
It also had a hidden "arm" on its top that moved vertically.
So basically, it could get literally underneath its opponents with all their dumb gimmicks, then flip them upside down and win the match.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the one that had pad locks on it that would spin around. I think the ramp-flippy bot beat it pretty quick though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's like sci-fi novels where war robots iterate on designs to the point where they're incredibly lame-looking spheres or some poo poo playing 10-dimensional chess. The best battlebots are essentially pancakes with pneumatics.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mind the walrus posted:

It's like sci-fi novels where war robots iterate on designs to the point where they're incredibly lame-looking spheres or some poo poo playing 10-dimensional chess. The best battlebots are essentially pancakes with pneumatics.

Pneumancakes. :hai:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The Mighty Moltres posted:

The best robot, back in the old days, was the one that was super low to the ground and incredibly flat, its bottom inclined to its top like a wedge.
It also had a hidden "arm" on its top that moved vertically.
So basically, it could get literally underneath its opponents with all their dumb gimmicks, then flip them upside down and win the match.

Yes, well said. Flipper arms are wrestling, spinning drums are striking. Flame throwers are aikido.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I mean if you're just going to show up hammered and go out of your way to ruin everyone else's fun it sounds like the problem wasn't the game so much as it was you.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I agree in the sense that as long battlebots are our slaves, we are safe from them.

A sphere is not lame, nor would a robot capable of playing dimensional chess be. I just wish any AI that iterates on designs will be more like a Culture Mind, instead of Skynet. I'd prefer humanity as pets, rather than a collection of tenement graves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Hi Mike, you hack fraud

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

doverhog posted:

I agree in the sense that as long battlebots are our slaves, we are safe from them.

A sphere is not lame, nor would a robot capable of playing dimensional chess be. I just wish any AI that iterates on designs will be more like a Culture Mind, instead of Skynet. I'd prefer humanity as pets, rather than a collection of tenement graves.

Well yeah we all want The Culture to be our preferred future, but I'm saying robot fights would be hideously boring to watch as an observer.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Just do battlebots vs mma fighters.

Baseball is merely the second worst sport, next to Nascar.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Baseball is merely the second worst sport, next to Nascar.

Have you seen cricket?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Faustian Bargain posted:

Just do battlebots vs mma fighters.

The fighters would lose, obviously. You put meat and bone against a spinning metal blade, the flesh will lose.

Force the bot to climb stairs first, and give the fighter a gun. We are in the last years in which we can say the robot would lose even then.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I smell a new variant on "The Running Man!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

christmas boots posted:

I mean if you're just going to show up hammered and go out of your way to ruin everyone else's fun it sounds like the problem wasn't the game so much as it was you.

a game where being sober and intelligent is a requirement isn't a fun game imho

Tubgoat posted:

After your whole "lefter than thou" schtick, Colbert's collaboration with the right-wing media isn't one of your issues with him?

when did i have such a schtick?

e: I mean i've drunk-posted itt about wanting to turn the world into the movie Equilibrium and such but I'm pretty sure i've never been so drunk to advocate for leftist ideals.