Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm not in HR or in the videogame industry but I would never hire anyone who was dumb enough to go to work at CIG. As soon as I saw that on a resume it would go straight into the circular file. NEXT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

scrubs season six posted:

Doesn't regional servers in this case consist mostly of them sending an email to Amazon saying "hey, put our poo poo on your hardware in a few different locations"?

It's not a testament to CIG's hard work and expertise that they were able to do regional servers - it's a testament to how little of a game there is.

Depending on how their server infrastructure communicates with their back-end databases (I'm going to give CIG the benefit of the doubt and say they're keeping their databases local to the servers that access them), then migrating a "game" this simple is something AWS can do with their eyes closed. Remember, there is no game. The only information in their databases right now is the much touted persistence, which right now means the game usually remembers if you bought a hat. That's not exactly a monumentally sized database, and without actual player inventories, a market, ship cargo inventories, and countless other static elements that would go into a database in a real game, it's likely to stay very small right up until the collapse.

It's not much effort to keep a teeny database synced across a few datacenters. All that's left is to use the AWS servers to host their broken, paper-thin "gaming" client for people to connect to.

Considering that a real game company would be working on this type of migration for months or years, you realize that the Good News that they got regional servers done "sooner than expected" does not reflect well at all on the work they've gotten done so far. With so little of any consequence having been accomplished by CIG over the years, it really should be no surprise that this got done not by design, or by planning, but largely by accident - a natural consequence of changing providers when your software is so lovely that it can be copy/pasted between servers and run just as badly.

So they spin it as a win and play it off like it's something their engineers knocked out of the park.

So to answer your question, yes.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF6TerSqlQ&feature=youtu.be

Something something, USE

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mark Karpeles continues to do nothing wrong, I see

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

AP posted:

The Star Citizen youtube channel has 801 videos

Reminder, one of them is the below which they thought was a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSrWgU01QJ0&t=13s

:vince:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Thanks!! Saving as a text file this time :)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/78FA0jy.gifv

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

I'm now picturing his personal chef bringing a bib to him and putting it on for him because he can't do it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZXLHfV070M

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

P sure the foreground ship is a Warhammmer 40k marine flyer.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Has anyone said shart butizen lately?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ComfyPants posted:

I'm now picturing his personal chef bringing a bib to him and putting it on for him because he can't do it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aczPDGC3f8U

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Jpegs to the left of me, refactoring to the right, stuck in the middle of CIG

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Streetroller posted:

I'm a little baffled too, honestly.
If it's all in the cloud, contracted through a third-party (Amazon), why would CIG need to do anything?

I suspect the game-servers themselves are running out of a standard data center environment, with Amazon doing all the heavy lifting with big data.
Which works now cause *lol*, who the gently caress actually plays these days...

They are AWS cloud instances. We've known this since last month when they switched to Lumberyard which requires them to switch to AWS from GCE.

CIG still has to do the work of getting the game server loaded to them, configure them, set the game client to talk to them etc. It's a bit of work and not the same as just firing up a remote hardware server (e.g. on https://www.pingperfect.com), installing the game on it, configuring it to listen for clients. They did that work with GCE. And they had to do it again with AWS which uses completely different protocols, SDK etc. Once that's done, spinning up a new AWS instance takes mere minutes.

As I wrote this morning...

In the latest newsletter, regional server instances are coming in the 2.6.1 patch (due out Feb 17th)

quote:

Star Citizen Newsletter - Regional Servers Inbound
February 3rd, 2017

Greetings Citizen.

Across all our studios, work on the upcoming Alpha 2.6.1 patch is progressing nicely. There’s still some UI work to complete and stability issues to iron out, but, as you can see in our updated production schedule report, we’re almost ready to get this latest patch into the players’ hands. In fact, we're happy to announce an addition to this patch. Thanks to the great work by the Live Ops, Backend and UI teams, we're moving up the release of the Regional Servers to 2.6.1, so players will be able to choose which server (North America, Europe, or Australia) they join to ensure the best connection possible. Once these are running, we’ll be able to run more tests to assess whether more locations will be needed.

This week I split my time between Foundry 42 offices in the UK and Germany. I’ll be spending another week in the trenches with the devs at Foundry 42 to oversee our advancement on a number of fronts.

Thanks to everyone who showed their support for Star Citizen last weekend at both PAX South and the community-organized Bar Citizen event in San Antonio, TX. It’s just another example of how dedicated and inspiring our fanbase can be. In fact, we’ve been looking for more ways to to bring the community front and center. That’s why this week we premiered a new show called Citizens of the Stars that focuses on the important part you play in Star Citizen. Give it a watch to see some of the incredible things the community is doing.

-- Chris Roberts

Basically, using the AWS support in LumberYard, they can do this now. They couldn't do it before with Google Compute Engine because they'd have to write an rear end-ton of code to do it. Amazon has done it for them via their AWS->CryEngine->Lumberyard implementation. Which is one of the things I wrote about in my recent Irreconcilable Differences blog in which I discuss the Lumberyard switch.

Forget about fragmentation of their already dwindling player base; the AWS cloud instances won't cost them anything if nobody is connecting to them. In fact, all it will cost them is whatever the AWS bandwidth costs to update them. And since each patch is like 40GB, well then.

What's going to be absolutely hilarious is if they don't enable (in the UI) the ability to select an AWS instance to connect to. which means that if you are in Australia and can't find players, there won't be any way to switch to US based instances which would obviously be more populated. Much rage will be heard.

This is really just another check mark in their pledge promise sheet. Only about a few hundred more to go.

Oh, and lest we forget, some of the backers are rejoicing "regional servers", while forgetting the fact that promises that Chris Roberts made about "1000 player instances" are never - ever - going to happen. And it certainly isn't going to happen with regional AWS instances. Have fun with your sub-par 16 player instances (not to be confused with the higher 24 client allowed in the shopping hub).

And if they are in fact implementing LumberYard GameLift, my reaction ----> :laugh:

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 5, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Amarcarts posted:

I'm not in HR or in the videogame industry but I would never hire anyone who was dumb enough to go to work at CIG. As soon as I saw that on a resume it would go straight into the circular file. NEXT!

Harsh, some people need to put food on the table.

Someone who worked on Star Citizen and thought it would totally have worked had they only been given another million? That's the circular file.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

'Greetings Citizens!' the space warden declares with glee as he delivers a space truncheon to your space gut. Just another day in the 'verse prison. Your crime? It doesn't loving matter, everyone pays for everything in Star Citizen.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You steal another citizen's chariot? Day in the box. Steal precious cargo? Week in the box. You steal art assets? Here's your uniform and truncheon, welcome to staff duty.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Get busy refactoring, or get busy FUDing. You're god drat right Chris.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

'Greetings Citizens!' the space warden declares with glee as he delivers a space truncheon to your space gut. Just another day in the 'verse prison. Your crime? It doesn't loving matter, everyone pays for everything in Star Citizen.

That's SO adorbs you think you get the truncheon in the gut. Or did we forget about the inevitability of space rape?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Harsh, some people need to put food on the table.

Yes but if they worked for CIG they either a) thought it was a good choice or b) had no other options, and therefore are probably not talented because talented people have options

I'm not saying they are bad people, but I don't want them on MY hypothetical team. I need winners.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Samizdata posted:

That's SO adorbs you think you get the truncheon in the gut. Or did we forget about the inevitability of space rape?

Forgive me for not trying to slip rape into my joke development. And anyway, guards don't shower with you in prison.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Decrepus posted:

Wouldn't that only matter if you put it in you hosed up tiny artist portfolio?

See, nobody is going to put that exact image in their portfolio. But obviously some artist(s) at CIG are very heavy in stealing and Archering other people's artwork.

It's almost as if, if the picture is something complex and not "hallway texture" then it's like it's been stolen or colored over and slightly modified from a real artists work.

Unfortunately I'm wondering if it's going to end up as "guilt by association", because I don't think some artist is going to stand up and proclaim "It's me! I'm the one stealing art! Not everybody else! I'm sorry!"

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Someone please put this tune over some Star Citizen footage.

Paaaaaarp. Paaaarp. Paaaaarp! PA PARRRRRP!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

It depends how well known it ends up being. I could never employ anyone who I thought would do anything like that.
Even if they do it all legit I still have reservations, there is nothing more soul crushing than having to explain to a client why their website looks exactly the same as this other one they found, I had to do that once when a long term client of mine found a site that uses the same Wordpress template as them. I wasn't involved in either site luckily and no one had actually done anything wrong, but it's always stuck with me.

I've also been on the other end of this and had my artwork stolen, it's a real kick in the guts.

Something that would never happen is stealing imagery. I can't even begin to imagine how the 'artist' hand waved that away. if nothing else it's loving embarrassing, why put yourself in that position?

Thank you for your insight. :)

This was sort of what I figured.

Company X (let's call it CIG for example) steals art and has no qualms or quality control about putting it up for sale to get money. From background images to tracing over action figures from other iconic games, to even stealing obvious concepts.

Now Applicant Y comes to you to get a job, and she spent considerable time working at Company X.

In the back of your mind, you got to wonder if she was the art theif, but obviously you can't ask that question in an interview process.

Did she steal? Did she not steal? Is her employment worth the potential trouble Z time down the road when you release something and sure enough section 17 has stolen art from 123rf, and the client is pissed off, your company looks like a fool, and now you got to confront somebody who should know better.

I personally investigate the companies my applicants worked at, just to make sure everything is on the up and up. Sort of part of the whole background check process. I'd just skip over those particular resumes if it doesn't mesh with my goals and moral values.

Naturally though that very very rarely happens because I deal with professionals who are seeking professional employment. I guess it's good that CIG doesn't exactly have a professional environment, professional management, or really anything related to professionalism.

I'm wondering if the heat death of CIG will actually be because none of the people who respect their profession will want to be associated with them. They'll end up running aground due to a severe lack of talent. I dare say their programming department is already there. :shrug:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Amarcarts posted:

I would, depending how long they were there.

As if they were able to stand Crobert's mood swings and bipolar decisions, the longer they can handle pressure, and the better they got at whatever Chris told them to repeat a thousands times.
Apart from the Archer's there of course. But if you were a modeller and spent a year making a ship over and over and over and over again and Im making a space ship game, my job will be nirvana in comparison.
So will get better results.

Wonder how many get PTSD and burn out of the industry totally.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

peter gabriel posted:

This is my honest take on it too, I think there's one or maybe two lazy fuckers on staff.

Alternately, consider that they have a bunch of artists whose main qualifications were making cool spaceship models in 3dmax in their spare time, and CIG is their first job.

Doing super detailed labor-intensive spaceship models is very different to producing generic textures & assets for all the mundane crap you have to do to make the actual game. For some of the people with no prior industry experience, they might know the toolset really well, but not the practices of how to do things quickly and efficiently in a production environment. At a better company you have some training for that: "this is how we do things here, these are stock sites we subscribe to, here's where we take shortcuts and here's where we devote extra effort".

CIG, on the other hand, had zero institutional history or practices and they threw together a 3-500 person studio in a year. Chris Roberts couldn't provide that because he'd been out of the industry for a decade, and it's pretty clear that he didn't allow the guys who did have that experience to construct a sane system (then they all left). Plus he thinks shortcuts are intolerable.

I think it's 50/50 on the artist ripping the texture because their internal communication is so busted that he can't get an ok to spend 20 bucks on a piece of clipart, or because the crobbler won't allow anyone to use stock art because everything must be Star Citizen Original.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

Thank you for your insight. :)

This was sort of what I figured.

Company X (let's call it CIG for example) steals art and has no qualms or quality control about putting it up for sale to get money. From background images to tracing over action figures from other iconic games, to even stealing obvious concepts.

Now Applicant Y comes to you to get a job, and she spent considerable time working at Company X.

In the back of your mind, you got to wonder if she was the art theif, but obviously you can't ask that question in an interview process.

If I knew about it like that I would outright ask them about the specifics, I wouldn't gently caress around. I wouldn't necessarily not entertain the idea of working with them if they merely worked for a lovely company in the past, but if I knew about something like this before the interview I'd certainly bring it up and ask what if any their involvement in it was.

If it were working with them on a project by project basis then I would probably just pass, as the rewards aren't worth the risk and like it or not graphic artists are easy to get hold of.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

So, if I ever get down there, I'll buy the beers, you bring the chili? Quadruple beans is fine, as I was hoping to get a tour of CIG Austin.

Works for me. Eat chili, shoot guns, drink beer.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Klyith posted:

Alternately, consider that they have a bunch of artists whose main qualifications were making cool spaceship models in 3dmax in their spare time, and CIG is their first job.

Doing super detailed labor-intensive spaceship models is very different to producing generic textures & assets for all the mundane crap you have to do to make the actual game. For some of the people with no prior industry experience, they might know the toolset really well, but not the practices of how to do things quickly and efficiently in a production environment. At a better company you have some training for that: "this is how we do things here, these are stock sites we subscribe to, here's where we take shortcuts and here's where we devote extra effort".

CIG, on the other hand, had zero institutional history or practices and they threw together a 3-500 person studio in a year. Chris Roberts couldn't provide that because he'd been out of the industry for a decade, and it's pretty clear that he didn't allow the guys who did have that experience to construct a sane system (then they all left). Plus he thinks shortcuts are intolerable.

I think it's 50/50 on the artist ripping the texture because their internal communication is so busted that he can't get an ok to spend 20 bucks on a piece of clipart, or because the crobbler won't allow anyone to use stock art because everything must be Star Citizen Original.

OK, I am going to try and put myself into the project as the guy in charge of these artists.
What I would do, and usually do is have a pool of assets in dropbox or whatever that can be used, so if I need a BEST PRICE GUARANTEED logo I would go source it, if I needed one making I would specifically tell the artists I want one making and in what style, to fit the general aesthetic of what we were trying to achieve. I would absolutely have a pool of relevant fonts to use, and these would be identifiable using tags, such as 'Station signage' or 'Ship interior' - Again, I would source these because that would be my job as a lead designer, I would have been the guy who OK'd a concept and style that could be rolled out by junior artists. That would be my responsibility.

To me, that seems to be where the failures are.
Just think about this, for some god knows what reason there is a BEST PRICE GUARANTEED logo in a space station that looks like nothing else in the place that it is in - The font is Impact or some poo poo, the rest of the shop doesn't feature that as far as I know, and stores have branding, they have rules so why the gently caress would they have an Impact font lovely label like that? That to me is a failure of the lead designer / art director.

So even if it is some lazy rear end in a top hat bodging graphics in between games of Angry Birds I don't 100% blame them, I blame the lack of company structure.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

This is one of those character building Scientology musical chairs things isn't it?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Works for me. Eat guns, shoot beer, drink chili.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D_Smart posted:

*Houses, tickets and a feeling of being a special.*

No idea then on the foreclosure angle. They don't seem great at this researching thing.

MoMA, you brought up a traffic ticket?? Did that make Star Citizen real yet? Who cares if someone has gotten a traffic ticket, GUILTY!! or no? Are you sure you don't just have a crush? I think he is married or something, dude. Best to move on.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rock on. MOAR DAKKA!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Oh, man. That is so good. (excluding the dude with a flaming torch, huh?).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

peter gabriel posted:

OK, I am going to try and put myself into the project as the guy in charge of these artists.
What I would do, and usually do is have a pool of assets in dropbox or whatever that can be used, so if I need a BEST PRICE GUARANTEED logo I would go source it, if I needed one making I would specifically tell the artists I want one making and in what style, to fit the general aesthetic of what we were trying to achieve. I would absolutely have a pool of relevant fonts to use, and these would be identifiable using tags, such as 'Station signage' or 'Ship interior' - Again, I would source these because that would be my job as a lead designer, I would have been the guy who OK'd a concept and style that could be rolled out by junior artists. That would be my responsibility.
Spot on, except you'd put most of that stuff into your SVN / Perforce / whatever repository to keep it organized and searchable in the same system your underlings use to commit finished assets.

peter gabriel posted:

I blame the lack of company structure.

Besides all the stuff that's the direct fault of crobbler being a terrible Ideas Guy who doesn't understand anything post-1994 in software development, the lack of structure covers the rest of why SC is a dumpster fire.

Like, if the guy in charge wasn't awful that still would have been a major challenge. It'd be hard enough to go from zero to big AAA studio even with some really expert heavy-hitters providing direction. This is why a lot of new game studios start by a crew of 6-12 people who all worked at the same place together breaking off to start a their own thing. Starting with a nucleus of guys who already have a system is way easier than creating one from scratch with 1 activision guy, 1 bliz guy, etc etc.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Klyith posted:

Spot on, except you'd put most of that stuff into your SVN / Perforce / whatever repository to keep it organized and searchable in the same system your underlings use to commit finished assets.

Besides all the stuff that's the direct fault of crobbler being a terrible Ideas Guy who doesn't understand anything post-1994 in software development, the lack of structure covers the rest of why SC is a dumpster fire.

Like, if the guy in charge wasn't awful that still would have been a major challenge. It'd be hard enough to go from zero to big AAA studio even with some really expert heavy-hitters providing direction. This is why a lot of new game studios start by a crew of 6-12 people who all worked at the same place together breaking off to start a their own thing. Starting with a nucleus of guys who already have a system is way easier than creating one from scratch with 1 activision guy, 1 bliz guy, etc etc.

I've only ever worked on one game and it was a small project so stuff like Perforce isn't something I am familiar with, thanks though, gonna read up on that, most of my daily work relating to this is making sure people stay focused on a company's / productions / events / whatever it is brand identity when rolling stuff out, all kinds of stuff. I really enjoy that part of my work too, talking to business owners about the importance of it all and seeing them grow is my biggest pay off work wise.

It's really why this subject gets to me a bit, I know what's involved in sloppy half assed poo poo like stealing imagery, and I also work with some amazing people who create original stuff and see the work that goes into it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

HycoCam posted:

And Star Raiders on the Atari 800 is of one my favorite childhood memories. Had a lot of brothers and sisters, we played it as a couch co-op--one person on the joystick, one on the keyboard. Played Wolfenstein the same way on the apple II--good times. Both games showing far more depth of gameplay than Star Citizen has yet to show thirty years ago.

:hellyeah: I had an Atari 400 and later upgraded to an XE

Played lots of Star Raiders and GATO couch co-op with my little brother. Good times.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Obviously foosball acumen should trump all other hiring decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Sunswipe posted:

That's about two Clifford aka Mikus, isn't it?

Lmfao.