Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Wyld Karde posted:

Except Jones. :smugjones:

I can't help but wonder if the attraction Zimmy saw in Annie's mind towards Jones might not be because of her permanence. Jones chooses a companion and sticks to them for their entire lives. And she can't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hodgepodge posted:

I can't help but wonder if the attraction Zimmy saw in Annie's mind towards Jones might not be because of her permanence. Jones chooses a companion and sticks to them for their entire lives. And she can't die.
That chapter was a bit before The Stone, when Annie found out the full truth of Jones. But Annie did already know that Jones was some sort of immortal not-a-robot.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

feetnotes posted:

Pretty sure Kat doesn't know. At least not the extent of it.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=798

I just noticed the X Files poster in Kat's room.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hodgepodge posted:

I'd say that's part of it. I think it also helps that Jones is completely in control of her emotions/doesn't have any - Annie, being a teenager AND a fire elemental, can do neither of those things.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I really need to do a front-to-back re-read of GK, all these posts referencing past events make me realize that my mind is like a sieve.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

himajinga posted:

I really need to do a front-to-back re-read of GK, all these posts referencing past events make me realize that my mind is like a sieve.
As I rediscovered the other day, running through the archive of GK is a fairly painless and in fact enjoyable ordeal that only takes a few hours. Unlike some other comics, where you need days or weeks to get through everything.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I just found out that I never read any of City Face!

Does this make me a bad fan? :ohdear:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It makes you the worst fan.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Swedish Horror posted:

No, it makes you a bad businessperson. You have made bad business decisions.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Swedish Horror posted:

Boxbot is better than you are.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Gally posted:

Boxbot is better than you are.

Whoa now, let's not go that far.

But City Face is the best, so read it!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh hey. People are linking back issues again. Lets reread Zimmy fixes Annie again... wait a tic...

Just the rats. :aaaaa:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It makes you the worst fan.

Sung on ugliest guitar.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Warmachine posted:

Oh hey. People are linking back issues again. Lets reread Zimmy fixes Annie again... wait a tic...

Just the rats. :aaaaa:

Are you thinking of mice?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=35

Doing a reread myself. Is Annie trained in self-defense, or is this never explained?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
There is a flashback of her and her dad in kimonos, so I guess so. Here: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1018

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 10, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

Doing a reread myself. Is Annie trained in self-defense, or is this never explained?

It would seem so.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

There is a flashback of her and her dad in kimonos, so I guess so. Here: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1018

Those aren't kimonos, dude. :colbert:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Brightman posted:

Are you thinking of mice?

Not that Zimmy is the type to make distinctions.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Portals posted:

Those aren't kimonos, dude. :colbert:

Using names like Karate Gi tend to be more confusing to those not in the know. But yeah, you're right.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Not that Zimmy is the type to make distinctions.

I'm sure they're all equally delicious.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Pretty sure karate gi is self identifying in the context.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's a karate outfit :V

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

She must be pretty strong to defeat Vegeta!

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Blackheart posted:

She must be pretty strong to defeat Vegeta!

She's not descended from Fire Elementals! She's the progeny of Lord Frieza!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
She disables Zimmy pretty easily here, too: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=462

There are a few other little things like that in the comic that make it seems like Annie's dad trained her in some basic martial arts. She's not going to be taking on Eglamore or Parley anytime soon, but she wasn't defenseless even before she learned how to engulf everything in fire.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony thought martial arts might help direct and discipline the fire.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

idonotlikepeas posted:

There are a few other little things like that in the comic that make it seems like Annie's dad trained her in some basic martial arts.
You mean like this?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is pretty interesting in light of what Annie's going through right now. Kat really is the only thing Annie has had for relationships (not that kind weirdos) for a very long while, huh.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Dang. I've totally felt like that before. Don't worry Annie, good friends don't just suddenly start hating you out of the blue, no matter how much your insecurities might tell you otherwise. :(

On another note, I love how Kat's sort of shifting around awkwardly. Panel 5 is great.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Strangely, what really gets me about this page and the last is how perfectly Tom's depicted the super awkward, contort-y body language that happens when teenagers (or a lot of adults really) Talk About Serious Feelings. :3:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So here's why Annie says "again" in the last panel.

Edit: and a touch of "the smallest thing can carry the greatest weight."

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 11, 2013

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hahah I totally dismissed that event as "a big fight" because Annie totally redeemed herself later in the chapter. It's nice to see, that like real human beings, Annie just can't forget that one little screw-up she had years ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She's probably also super-conscious right now of the fact that she does something major that could drive Kat away every day (copying) but still gives into the temptation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Aren't we actually due for Annie's dad to show up? Early in the comic it said that she won't see him again for 2.5 years and aren't we about that far removed from the start of the comic?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Aren't we actually due for Annie's dad to show up? Early in the comic it said that she won't see him again for 2.5 years and aren't we about that far removed from the start of the comic?

The key word was "hear".

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's kind of amazing that happened on page 1000.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Oh Annie, Kat could never hate you. Wanna know who was bitter and full of hatred? That's right: Sonic.

seravid fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 11, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

seravid posted:

Oh Annie, Kat could never hate you. Wanna know who was bitter and full of hatred? That's right: Sonic.

Please tell me the headmaster is eggman :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
:lol: I did not notice that was a gif