Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I basically have it elbow length away. I did just start playing hockey like two years ago so I never formed the bad habit of having my forward hand too far down on the shaft of the stick.

The reason you want your hands higher up is to actually be able to flex the shaft of your stick on shots and, to a lesser extent, hard passes. So if power is your problem I would say those are related. It will probably suck relearning how to hold your stick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I only started playing hockey a year ago but I played ball hockey for years before that and picked up a ton of bad habits. I played with a super long stick and never even really knew about flex until I started playing ice hockey and picked up a stick that was the right size/flex for me.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
When I'm stick handling and making passes i usually keep my bottom hand close to my top hand. If my stick length is 60 inches my bottom hand is roughly around the 45-50 inch mark. Shooting is different, slapshots I bring my bottom hand way down about halfway on the stick (~30 inches). Snap and wrist shots probably a bit higher around 35-40 inches

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just hold my stick and do hockey things with it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Oh yeah, yesterday night our team played our first playoff game and we won 8-4.

I got my second goal of the season off a great one-timer on the rush. Best part is I forced that 2 on 1 by out skating both a d-man and forward.

2 years of power skating is paying off.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My hand is lower during slapshots, but still probably only halfway down the stick. I feel like it gives me more power and control. My hand might be a little higher during wrist shots.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My second Silver team won the championship on Friday. Cool beans.

On the day of the game, our goalie (the girl in street clothes) said she got a concussion from roller derby and couldn't play, so we had to find a replacement just a few hours beforehand. The goalie in the pic played for us like 18 months ago or whatever, but moved to a different state. He just moved back to the area within the past couple weeks. We weren't sure if he had been playing since he was last on the team, so I think we were all pretty nervous. He stepped in on short notice and played out of his mind. We were massive underdogs and beat the team who only lost once the whole season. Feels good man.

It was the first championship this team has won in the 11 years of it's existence, so that made it pretty cool.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Being this is SA I'm trying to find the goon in the photo. I'm going to take a wild stab that you are number 7 ... white guy with the doo rag. And holy poo poo is Lurch in the background really that tall or was he standing on something?

Regardless, thats pretty awesome and I'm jealous. My team pretty much poo poo themselves this season in a division we had no business being in.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What are the rules for throwing a goalie stick at the puck to try and stop a breakaway? What if I make it look like a poke check that I lost grip on? Asking for a friend...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vargatron posted:

What are the rules for throwing a goalie stick at the puck to try and stop a breakaway? What if I make it look like a poke check that I lost grip on? Asking for a friend...

It hinges on how many upvotes the gif gets on reddit, so make sure to keep your gopro in good working order.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

It hinges on how many upvotes the gif gets on reddit, so make sure to keep your gopro in good working order.

I also have to find the correct Vaporwave track to use as background music when I post the YouTube video.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think the audio matters as all the songs sound exactly the same anyways.

If the guy tripped over your stick "let the bodies hit the floor" would work too.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My second Silver team won the championship on Friday. Cool beans.

On the day of the game, our goalie (the girl in street clothes) said she got a concussion from roller derby and couldn't play, so we had to find a replacement just a few hours beforehand. The goalie in the pic played for us like 18 months ago or whatever, but moved to a different state. He just moved back to the area within the past couple weeks. We weren't sure if he had been playing since he was last on the team, so I think we were all pretty nervous. He stepped in on short notice and played out of his mind. We were massive underdogs and beat the team who only lost once the whole season. Feels good man.

It was the first championship this team has won in the 11 years of it's existence, so that made it pretty cool.

That's pretty awesome, congratulations man!

How did the game play out?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Theres not 'one place' to keep your bottom hand. Its completely fluid depending on what youre doing and your body position.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

D C posted:

Theres not 'one place' to keep your bottom hand. Its completely fluid depending on what youre doing and your body position.

You move it depending on what you are doing but basically every passing/shooting tutorial ever used the "elbow-hand" distance guide with the exception of stuff like face-offs, slap shots and maybe stick handling.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Being this is SA I'm trying to find the goon in the photo. I'm going to take a wild stab that you are number 7 ... white guy with the doo rag. And holy poo poo is Lurch in the background really that tall or was he standing on something?

Regardless, thats pretty awesome and I'm jealous. My team pretty much poo poo themselves this season in a division we had no business being in.

Ha, I'm the dude directly in the middle, with the trophy coming out of my head. Tall guy in the back is really that loving tall. His stick is like 14 feet long.

doctor 7 posted:

That's pretty awesome, congratulations man!

How did the game play out?

It was back and forth the whole game, really close. Our D played phenominal and shutdown their really good skaters. All of their D-men were really good and quick, so there were a lot of blocked shots. 2 of our 3 goals were backdoor rebounds, and the game-winner was a top-shelf short-side wrister off a pass from behind the net.

At 2 minutes left in the game, one of our big D-men buried the puck in the corner and just tried to trap it there. They had 3 guys on him for probably 20-30 seconds trying to get it out. Finally, the ref calls him for a delay of game. So there's 90 seconds left in the game, they have their goalie pulled, we're down a man, but can ice the gently caress out of the puck with no consequences. Game was over after we launched it down to their end a couple times.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ha, I'm the dude directly in the middle, with the trophy coming out of my head. Tall guy in the back is really that loving tall. His stick is like 14 feet long.

I was gonna ask if you're Santa or Hodor.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Did someones girlfriend run out onto the ice to get in the team picture?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I got absolutely flattened by a guy last night who didn't know how to stop and just ran me over while I was no where near the puck. While my neck is still sore today, I can't help but feel like I've achieved a right of passage for playing d league hockey.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Half of D league hockey is avoiding people skating around with a blindfold on.

Literally most of the hits I've seen occurred merely by accident.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Man it's crazy how different leagues are depending on region. D league here means at least half your team played junior hockey. I'm going to have to hang around in beginner leagues for another couple of years before I can even convincingly play in an E league.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I'm pretty lucky in that I'm a solid 5'10" dude and I have pretty decent balance and body position (aka. hockey stance) out on the ice. gently caress staying low with proper form makes a hell of a difference for speed and balance. I've been following the play and gotten blindsided by people a half dozen times now who aren't looking where they're going at all.

However, guys that don't look where they're going also don't often know how to skate properly so thankfully I've never been knocked over and they bounce off me flailing. It's pretty sweet when some 6'3" giant collides with you and goes rear end over teakettle while you just shake it off and skate back into the play.

Getting embarrassed by power skating with 6-12 year olds has certainly been worth it in the long run. I skate better, even though I've only been skating for 2 and a half years, than guys on my team that have been skating for a decade but never got lessons.

prom candy posted:

Man it's crazy how different leagues are depending on region. D league here means at least half your team played junior hockey. I'm going to have to hang around in beginner leagues for another couple of years before I can even convincingly play in an E league.

Not quite that level here but I've seen some "C level" hockey videos online and gone "oh man I am definitely better than everyone on the ice now." Despite the fact that, aside from my skating (and heart :colbert:), I'm pretty much outclassed in every other way by everyone else in my league.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

Did someones girlfriend run out onto the ice to get in the team picture?

Always. But this picture came from the rink. How, you may ask? Because of the 600x385 resolution on a picture in 2016.

A cool dude on the other team actually was out there taking a couple with his non-disposable camera as well.

V for Vegans posted:

I got absolutely flattened by a guy last night who didn't know how to stop and just ran me over while I was no where near the puck. While my neck is still sore today, I can't help but feel like I've achieved a right of passage for playing d league hockey.

I'm 3 weeks into PT for whiplash after taking someone's shoulder into my head because they weren't looking. Beer league!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 21, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hahah yeah, I got to be some tripod's bumper-stop last night as well. Was a bowling ball of a man but eh he apologized immediately so it's cool. I saw him coming and he definitely didn't do it on purpose so :shrug:

Got smoked last night - just took forever to get going and get my legs last night and my D-pairing just ended up having a bad, bad baaaaaaaaad 2nd period / bad bounces.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

doctor 7 posted:

Getting embarrassed by power skating with 6-12 year olds has certainly been worth it in the long run. I skate better, even though I've only been skating for 2 and a half years, than guys on my team that have been skating for a decade but never got lessons.

What kind of stuff do you do in power skating? I'm on my third run through of learn to play hockey which has been incredibly helpful but I'm wondering if I should seek out a power skating class too. Lately I've been on the ice 4x/week and it's helping but I'd always like to be a little faster and a little more controlled, especially on the weak side.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I got runned into and knocked down because I reached for a puck like a schlub and the guy turned into me. I deserved it.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
The hockey monkey code is still working. Just picked up new shoulder pads and new elbow pads. Bought a new pair of skates that actually fit properly about two weeks ago too. Slowly starting to replace all my old gear that I bought used.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

prom candy posted:

What kind of stuff do you do in power skating? I'm on my third run through of learn to play hockey which has been incredibly helpful but I'm wondering if I should seek out a power skating class too. Lately I've been on the ice 4x/week and it's helping but I'd always like to be a little faster and a little more controlled, especially on the weak side.

Power skating is a lot of conditioning. Most I've ever taken was less about skating with the puck (though there was some puck play), but mostly about pure skating. Lots of sprints, stops, hard turns, edge drills, etc. You will become an infinitely better skater by being more sure footed, likely faster, more agile, and better on your edges. Some classes work on improving technique for stopping, strides crossovers etc. Expect to fall at some point. You will more than likely be pushed past your comfort zone but thats good because thats how you get better.

I think the average beer league player would see the most benefit from a power skating class than just about anything else ... including $900 skates and pro stock composite sticks.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The funny thing is, I wasn't even the worst off in that game. We had this one poor woman on our team who got knocked over by a member of the other team, someone on our team, and from getting a puck to the helmet by our goalie trying to dump it down the ice. It was a pretty physical night despite being a non-checking league. But what can I say, hockey's a contact sport no matter what.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Verman posted:

Power skating is a lot of conditioning. Most I've ever taken was less about skating with the puck (though there was some puck play), but mostly about pure skating. Lots of sprints, stops, hard turns, edge drills, etc. You will become an infinitely better skater by being more sure footed, likely faster, more agile, and better on your edges. Some classes work on improving technique for stopping, strides crossovers etc. Expect to fall at some point. You will more than likely be pushed past your comfort zone but thats good because thats how you get better.

I think the average beer league player would see the most benefit from a power skating class than just about anything else ... including $900 skates and pro stock composite sticks.

This sounds awesome. I can't find classes for adults around me and I'm super not into attending a kids' class. I might ask the learn to play instructor if he's ever thought of doing something like that, I know a few guys who would sign up right away. We do a lot of that stuff in learn to play but not enough speed/sprint/conditioning type stuff because it needs to be completely beginner friendly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think paying for ice time to get conditioning makes a lot of sense, you buy ice to learn hockey. If you want conditioning, play the game or do off ice routines. If you want speed, develop technique because flailing your legs is pointless if the effort isn't applied properly.

Too many beginners (including myself) try to rush drills way too much when what they really need is to slow way the gently caress down and focus on the details. It's hard to do when everyone is skating laps around you but every major improvement I've had has come from being the last person to finish.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

prom candy posted:

This sounds awesome. I can't find classes for adults around me and I'm super not into attending a kids' class. I might ask the learn to play instructor if he's ever thought of doing something like that, I know a few guys who would sign up right away. We do a lot of that stuff in learn to play but not enough speed/sprint/conditioning type stuff because it needs to be completely beginner friendly.

Eh, I say just look for local skating clubs that offer it. How I found my coach was just Google where they said it was open to "Ages 12 and up" and I asked "ok how 'up' is 'up' because I am 30." You want to be able to skate forwards and backwards and stop under your own power to start power skating but, at least with my coaching, you have set levels and skills per level. The coach will go through the proper form for each movement.

Additionally power skating is just about skating skill and speed. You shouldn't be doing puck drills, that's your own time or learn to play hockey. You may go "well why would I want this" but let's be real, how many plays have you seen a slower guy completely miss out on because they weren't fast or agile enough in their skating ability? You get better balance, faster, more agile so you can pull off better stick handling moves at greater speed. I can't stick handle for poo poo but I have beat defenseman completely because I was simply too quick for them.

xzzy posted:

I don't think paying for ice time to get conditioning makes a lot of sense, you buy ice to learn hockey. If you want conditioning, play the game or do off ice routines. If you want speed, develop technique because flailing your legs is pointless if the effort isn't applied properly.

Too many beginners (including myself) try to rush drills way too much when what they really need is to slow way the gently caress down and focus on the details. It's hard to do when everyone is skating laps around you but every major improvement I've had has come from being the last person to finish.

Conditioning is part of it in that you learn skills then repeat this skills until you are really, really tired. But that's good. It's easy to perform some moves when you're 100% but in hockey you will get tired so being able to pull off forward cross overs to a quick stop, to cross-over starts and then a quick turn when already low on energy comes in handy.

If your teacher is good then he or she will be getting you to push yourself for your skill level. Case in point, during drills I will get assigned to do something using backwards cross overs. Someone who just started? They'll be told to just start trying out forwards crossovers using maybe the outside foot coming over but not pushing with the inside foot out because they aren't ready for that.

Quite true that spending $900 on skating lessons is probably better than buying a couple of $300 top of the line sticks.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hooray we beat the team that was fighting for first in our division in a nice, solid, team win from head to toe. We are, uhhhh, not in first - or even close to it - so it felt pretty good to hang a couple on them and get off the snide. And we'll see them again next week and they seemed preeeeeeeeeeeetty pissed there at the end so that ought to be fun. :v:

Did take a knee to the side of the head so I've got that going for me right now, though. Time to hit the ol ibuprofen cocktail and get ready for the start of pond hockey season on Thursday. :toot:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 22, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Duke Chin posted:

Hooray we beat the team that was fighting for first in our division in a nice, solid, team win from head to toe. We are, uhhhh, not in first - or even close to it - so it felt pretty good to hang a couple on them and get off the snide. And we'll see them again next week and they seemed preeeeeeeeeeeetty pissed there at the end so that ought to be fun. :v:

Did take a knee to the side of the head so I've got that going for me right now, though. Time to hit the ol ibuprofen cocktail and get ready for the start of pond hockey season on Thursday. :toot:

You should go out for 4-6 weeks with an apparent upper body injury. You must have tweaked your bicep chugging beers after the game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

You've regressed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spoiler alert, I never progressed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yes, a good way to learn skating is to not skate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, a good way to learn skating is to not skate.

Not what I said at all, maybe you got a concussion.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Our team is organizing a summer scrim/drop-in where we bought an hour and a half of ice time. First half hour we plan to do drills or whatever and last bit we'll scrim/drop-in.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to skating drills because I haven't progressed a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Doctor Butts posted:

Our team is organizing a summer scrim/drop-in where we bought an hour and a half of ice time. First half hour we plan to do drills or whatever and last bit we'll scrim/drop-in.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to skating drills because I haven't progressed a lot.

We did that once. Drills lasted for about 10 minutes and then it devolved into 5-on-5 with no defense, aka roller hockey.