Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

kcroy posted:

edit: warning: serious posting.

why aren't there walkers in essos? How come their old people aren't always talking about winters that last forever? Why don't they have a magic loving wall to keep night at bay. I mean they clearly have zombie sharks and stuff. Is it just old stark women who remember Long Winters? You'd think those horsemen, who are REALLY into lore and passed down traditions and poo poo... shouldn't they mention winter at least a few 100 times? I mean what do those loving horsemen do when winter comes? Bunker down and eat their horses for a decade or so?

Does Essos have some equivalent to the "white raven" system for letting people know that winter is coming, and they are all gonna die?

It's like those fuckers are on a different planet. One that serves no purpose but to serve as a proving ground for potential Westeros conquerors.

Essos is a continent not connected to the "Lands of Always Winter" (by this, I mean there is a sea that separates the Lands of Always Winter and Essos). Also, I'm pretty sure the northern tip of Essos is only so far north as White Harbor, and extends further south than Dorne. Thus it is warmer than Westeros and is similar to The Reach where it is almost always summer.

e:

Considering almost all of the population of Essos lives parallel or south of Pentos, you should be able to tell why they don't have decade long winters.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Essos is a continent not connected to the "Lands of Always Winter" (by this, I mean there is a sea that separates the Lands of Always Winter and Essos). Also, I'm pretty sure the northern tip of Essos is only so far north as White Harbor, and extends further south than Dorne. Thus it is warmer than Westeros and is similar to The Reach where it is almost always summer.

e:

Considering almost all of the population of Essos lives parallel or south of Pentos, you should be able to tell why they don't have decade long winters.

Yeah, my impression was always that they could still grow crops in Highgarden during the winter, it was just the riverlands, Vale, and North dried up so there wasn't enough food. that's why you need a stable government otherwise you'll have people moving south and endless conflict. Since they've started early, I'm not sure how they get out of it. Unless the white walkers just kill everyone in the north and the riverlands and the vale. Problem solved!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What exactly are the undying? Just creepy zombies that try and eat you and steal your dragons?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

davecrazy posted:

What exactly are the undying? Just creepy zombies that try and eat you and steal your dragons?

Drug addicts.

I think we should incorporate magic mushrooms and erotic shaman piss play into Game of Bones II: A Clank of Crotches.

Pretty sure they do this in Finland most weekends.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Drug addicts.

I think we should incorporate magic mushrooms and erotic shaman piss play into Game of Bones II: A Clank of Crotches.

Pretty sure they do this in Finland most weekends.

Don't mock it til you tried it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Man I been trying to do light spoilers or innocuous non-spoilers, but most of my show peeps keep thumbing it up because I'm referencing the show (by referencing the books). !____!

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

e:

You know nothing, Jon Bro

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I just saw the GoT season 3 trailer for the first time. Opening with Danny on a boat is trolling of the highest order.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Junkenstein posted:

I just saw the GoT season 3 trailer for the first time. Opening with Danny on a boat is trolling of the highest order.

This was my favorite part of the trailer as well.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Hell, ending her season 2 plotline saying she had enough money to afford a ship was terrible enough. People have been anxiously awaiting her coming into King's Landing for almost an entire year. It almost feels purposely teasing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well guys, come on, the showrunners have said they're not strictly adapting any single book at any given time. They've clearly move on to Dany's storyline circa A Dream of Spring.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
That scene in the books (with the dragons acrobatically flying alongside and behind the ship and dipping in and out of the water) is one of the most beautiful and evocatively written ones in the series though, so it is not in the finest taste to misappropriate that for the purpose of trolling non-book-reading viewers who assume Dany is on a boat back to Westeros instead of sailing even farther East.

Then again, gently caress non-book-reading viewers. They are scum and the worst. Troll ahead, HBO.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What if this is like what happens when a tv show catches up with a comic and it all goes off the rails? We're either up for a subpar resolution that has nothing to do with what finally gets written or tons of filler.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Monkey poo poo rained down around them all, splat splat splat.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Shits fall, everyone drowns.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
gently caress show watchers. Suffer every year wondering when Dany will get to Westeros. Anxiously await everything, you illiterate nincompoops.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's probably people in the non-spoiler show thread that could have read all the books in the amount of time they've spent speculating and writing about the show on the internet.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Junkenstein posted:

There's probably people in the non-spoiler show thread that could have read all the books in the amount of time they've spent speculating and writing about the show on the internet.

That's why I don't feel bad for spoiling people like that. Now casual people I wouldn't spoil, but the people that watch the show over and over again and never touch the books are just begging for it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm looking forward to the third season. Lots of good bits in Storm of Swords that I really want to see how the show portrays them. Also I want to see the reactions from people who have only watched the show.

I'll admit, I pretty much jumped on the bandwagon with this series. Watched the first season of the show, decided I wanted to read the books, and did so. ADWD came out just as I was finishing the fourth, or possibly a bit before.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

McDragon posted:

I'm looking forward to the third season. Lots of good bits in Storm of Swords that I really want to see how the show portrays them. Also I want to see the reactions from people who have only watched the show.

I'll admit, I pretty much jumped on the bandwagon with this series. Watched the first season of the show, decided I wanted to read the books, and did so. ADWD came out just as I was finishing the fourth, or possibly a bit before.

That was me as well, watched the first couple episodes of the first season, decided this seemed cool, got and read all the books, was caught up for when ADWD came out, read ADWD, became thoroughly disenchanted.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

hailthefish posted:

disenchanted.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Fog Tripper posted:

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!

Please collect your complimentary shitdick jokes and copy of Game of Bones at the reception desk.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Whoa, "complimentary copy of Game of Bones"? gently caress that noise, papa's got to pay the bills, he can buy it like everyone else.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

rypakal posted:

Yeah, my impression was always that they could still grow crops in Highgarden during the winter, it was just the riverlands, Vale, and North dried up so there wasn't enough food. that's why you need a stable government otherwise you'll have people moving south and endless conflict. Since they've started early, I'm not sure how they get out of it. Unless the white walkers just kill everyone in the north and the riverlands and the vale. Problem solved!

Pretty much this, but when he was asking about why people in Essos don't have stories about the Wights I assume it is because where ever The Others invade winter actually follows them, but they never made it beyond Westoros thanks to the First Men, hench the rest of the world is ignorant of their threat.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

gently caress show watchers. Suffer every year wondering when Dany will get to Westeros. Anxiously await everything, you illiterate nincompoops.

I have run out of "poops" for this post.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Well loving projects have kept me busy and poo poo. So the babby thread has gone up? I don't feel like reading poo poo so how many giant Goatse + Spoiler posts have been put in there? If it's less than three, it's not a GRRM thread.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm phone posting, but we should make GoT spoilers by writing them on goatse.

GoTse.

It can be posted all over reddit and Facebook. Those people love memes.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Nobody should spoil people this season, at least not on the Red Wedding.

Also, in the good thread, someone just finished ASOS:

Autumncomet posted:

Looking forward to Brienne meeting up with Sansa and maybe she can cleave Littlefinger in two. :allears:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

whowhatwhere posted:

Nobody should spoil people this season, at least not on the Red Wedding.

Also, in the good thread, someone just finished ASOS:

To be fair, I'm looking forward to that happening is ADOS

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Whoa, "complimentary copy of Game of Bones"? gently caress that noise, papa's got to pay the bills, he can buy it like everyone else.

I'm still waiting for my money so I can buy some starbucks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
We will never see that money. Thornghost has turned this thread into Stalinist Russia.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
I am craving the smooth smooth taste only Camel cigarettes can give me after days of writing fantasy erotica.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

We will never see that money. Thornghost has turned this thread into Stalinist Russia.

Ooo, Stalinist! When do we get to airbrush A_H out of the thread history? :v:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I was going to suggest we do that to GRRM.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I want to buy A Game of Bones. Would I get put on some sort of watch list?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nope! Everyone involved is either 18+ or not involved in sexual situations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Arbite posted:

Nope! Everyone involved is either 18+ or not involved in sexual situations.

Just like the real books.....

Oh wait no never mind.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Buying AGOB won't put you in any watchlists that posting in this thread (EDIT: or reading the actual ASOIAF books, come to think of it) doesn't already.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You're in a thread for a book series where a barbarian rapes a magic 13 year old after her brother plays with her nipples. From the editor of the comic book series where the hero's power comes from rape.

The goon-written book about a 40 year old lady consensually pegging two gay dudes is probably the least disgusting thing related to GRRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There's a Photoshop thread in GBS where people are making holiday themed A Game of Thrones edits. I thought this one was the best: