Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

olylifter posted:

Is there a reason why homeboy couldn't have written songs on the weekend and when he's home from work until the career takes off and then cast off the shackles of the salt mines to become the Paul Simon that he knows he is in his heart?

I never get people who quit careers/jobs to "become" something they could have done as a hobby while working.

Often they've been doing it as a hobby but have been failing, and instead of chalking that up to lack of talent, they blame it on the fact that they're not dedicating themselves enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Speaking of car chat...

Why would anybody agree to this :pwn:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bit tough to get to work on a horse in The Year Two Thousand Sixteen.

WOULD YOU DOWNLOAD A HORSE?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

Speaking of car chat...

:hfive: wells fargo car loan buddy. I sent them a "secure email" asking how to make a principle payment online and they said that I had to call to get the answer to that question. I've played that game before where I thought I was paying principle on my car loan, but in reality I was just pushing my "next payment due" date out into the future. I used to be really bad with money. I let the dealership tack on $5,000 in stuff onto the $9,999 special car walking between the sales table and the finance table, a VW mk4 jetta 2.slow, first of its model year, excluded from all recalls on the mk4's. :downs:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Living in a small town in the desert is GWM until you have to go somewhere and realize that the nearest airport with any commercial service is 2 hours away and the nearest airport with more than 2 daily departures is 4.

Rural living: Good With Money, Bad With Life.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

Speaking of car chat...

Wow, $8000 in interest on a $18000 loan.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4nxyqw/thinking_of_investing_50k_in_a_brewpub_total/ posted:

I'm considering investing 50k in a business despite knowing almost nothing about how small businesses are founded and financed. The business is a restaurant and brewery...Half of the investment is in the form of a promissory note at 7%. The other half buys 1.5% equity in the business. The founders make all business decisions, including whether to pay dividends or plow profits back in to the business... But the point of the investment is the equity, and the chance of owning a successful brewery, not the 7% loan.

This one's all sorts of hosed up you could black out a BWM bingo card. Only way it could be worse is if the restaurant was on a boat skippered by a horse.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brew pubs are tried and true business models that never fail and not getting voting rights or defined dividends from your equity is always a safe bet.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

:hfive: wells fargo car loan buddy. I sent them a "secure email" asking how to make a principle payment online and they said that I had to call to get the answer to that question. I've played that game before where I thought I was paying principle on my car loan, but in reality I was just pushing my "next payment due" date out into the future. I used to be really bad with money. I let the dealership tack on $5,000 in stuff onto the $9,999 special car walking between the sales table and the finance table, a VW mk4 jetta 2.slow, first of its model year, excluded from all recalls on the mk4's. :downs:

If you are serviced through Wells Fargo Dealer Services, as I am, I have asked this question and here is the answer I received:

Please be advised that on your specific loan type, each time you send more than the required payment amount, the additional funds are deducted from your principal balance and advances to the next months due date as long as the interest is satisfied.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Guest2553 posted:

The founders make all business decisions, including whether to pay dividends or plow profits back in to the business.

So basically, he'll never see jack poo poo from that $25k for 1.5% equity except maybe getting discounts at the bar.

I'm sure lots of businesses would be happy to give you a Green Bay Packers style certificate that means nothing for less than $25k if they got to choose whether they paid you anything.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spinst posted:

If you are serviced through Wells Fargo Dealer Services, as I am, I have asked this question and here is the answer I received:

Please be advised that on your specific loan type, each time you send more than the required payment amount, the additional funds are deducted from your principal balance and advances to the next months due date as long as the interest is satisfied.

Thanks. I walk past a wells fargo bank branch nearly every day for lunch (speaking of BWM), I think I will just walk in with some cash since they don't want to answer my question online.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

So basically, he'll never see jack poo poo from that $25k for 1.5% equity except maybe getting discounts at the bar.

I'm sure lots of businesses would be happy to give you a Green Bay Packers style certificate that means nothing for less than $25k if they got to choose whether they paid you anything.

Could he force the owner to buy back his share at some future time? There has to be some provision to divest himself, right? Or is he locked into his investment until it fails or someone buys the bar?

I guess absolute best case scenario the bar is a fantastic success and the owner opens up additional locations and becomes the next TGIF. But in that case I'm sure the 1.5% ownership is in that location and not the company as a whole.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hell, my former roommate asked for a 20k investment in her restaurant, which is now wildly successful but I'd still not see a cent back from it the way she had it set up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Moneyball posted:

My job is to apply payments from insurance companies for medical treatments my company provides. Often, a check will go from the insurance company to the patient instead of us, so they are required to mail that to us. Sometimes they cash them and we have to collect.

This one patient received a $17,000 check a few months ago, cashed it, spent all of it, and now doesn't have any money to pay us. They will probably pay $25 a month until, well..
Depending on how old the patient is, their income, and what they bought, this might actually be great with money. Like, $17k in present dollars versus $25/mo (aka $400/yr) until their death might actually be comparable, right? I'm sure they didn't think it through like that, but hey.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY

Moneyball posted:

My job is to apply payments from insurance companies for medical treatments my company provides. Often, a check will go from the insurance company to the patient instead of us, so they are required to mail that to us. Sometimes they cash them and we have to collect.

This one patient received a $17,000 check a few months ago, cashed it, spent all of it, and now doesn't have any money to pay us. They will probably pay $25 a month until, well..

This happened to a friend of mine, in a similar amount, except since she was a 25 year old still under her parents' insurance (though living as an otherwise-independent adult on the opposite side of the country) the insurance company cut the check to her mom as the policy holder. My friend went about her business thinking insurance had taken care of it, as they said they would, until she got a call from the hospital about the unpaid debt. Once she figured out that the insurance hadn't paid the hospital directly and had instead mailed a check to her terrible-with-money mother, and called to tell her mom to send the check in to the hospital, her mom said she had assumed it was for some other medical bills for the parents and had used it all to pay those instead. Certainly the paperwork would have said something about the patient name, but her mom runs the many debts she's incurred as somewhat of a shell game between members of the family. So the medical debt is in my friend's name, but the best she can get from her mom is a shrug and a "sorry, it's all gone." So the mom has effectively transferred around $20,000 of medical debt from her old and unwell spouse to her young and reasonably healthy daughter.

Their relationship is obviously strained as a result, but not for the reason you would think. The mom feels it's impolite to talk about money and for her daughter to keep bringing this up (to talk about payment plans or some sort of mitigation) is obviously very rude.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

some_weird_kid posted:

This happened to a friend of mine, in a similar amount, except since she was a 25 year old still under her parents' insurance (though living as an otherwise-independent adult on the opposite side of the country) the insurance company cut the check to her mom as the policy holder. My friend went about her business thinking insurance had taken care of it, as they said they would, until she got a call from the hospital about the unpaid debt. Once she figured out that the insurance hadn't paid the hospital directly and had instead mailed a check to her terrible-with-money mother, and called to tell her mom to send the check in to the hospital, her mom said she had assumed it was for some other medical bills for the parents and had used it all to pay those instead. Certainly the paperwork would have said something about the patient name, but her mom runs the many debts she's incurred as somewhat of a shell game between members of the family. So the medical debt is in my friend's name, but the best she can get from her mom is a shrug and a "sorry, it's all gone." So the mom has effectively transferred around $20,000 of medical debt from her old and unwell spouse to her young and reasonably healthy daughter.

Their relationship is obviously strained as a result, but not for the reason you would think. The mom feels it's impolite to talk about money and for her daughter to keep bringing this up (to talk about payment plans or some sort of mitigation) is obviously very rude.

:sever:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I disagree. Serve, then sever.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I was just searching for something on google, and typed "would a h" to start my search and I noticed that the first auto fill result is "would a horse enjoy a bouncy castle".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Droo posted:

I was just searching for something on google, and typed "would a h" to start my search and I noticed that the first auto fill result is "would a horse enjoy a bouncy castle".

Well don't leave us hanging here.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A common cause of death appears to be horses kicking hard objects and breaking legs and/or exploding.

So yes, a horse would enjoy a bouncy castle.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It would probably cause it to freak out and have a heart attack. Good luck explaining that to the guys who come to break it down and bring it back to the rental place.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Nail Rat posted:

It would probably cause it to freak out and have a heart attack. Good luck explaining that to the guys who come to break it down and bring it back to the rental place.

The horse or the bouncy castle?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Weatherman posted:

The horse or the bouncy castle?

What are you a poor? You don't rent a horse.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Droo posted:

2. "Would a human clone have a soul"
3. "Would a human survive on Jupiter"

We're not exactly dealing with the best and brightest here. But I shared this with my SO who is a horse person (sans horse until we're idly rich) and she laughed at it too.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dik Hz posted:

We're not exactly dealing with the best and brightest here. But I shared this with my SO who is a horse person (sans horse until we're idly rich) and she laughed at it too.

4. Would a hungry tiger be docile.

No it will loving eat you. I still imagine this to be the borg hive mind where they assimilate stupid people and end up performing experiments with bouncy castles and hungry tigers.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Dik Hz posted:

Devian666 posted:

4. Would a hungry tiger be docile.

No it will loving eat you. I still imagine this to be the borg hive mind where they assimilate stupid people and end up performing experiments with bouncy castles and hungry tigers.

Minor regional variations?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Google personalises some of the response. The tiger one is pretty weird though it's not the sort of thing I'd ever search for (same for horse bouncy castles).

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Devian666 posted:

Google personalises some of the response.

Anyone else get "would a human body decompose in space"? :stare:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Moneyball posted:

Anyone else get "would a human body decompose in space"? :stare:

I did too :catstare:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
would a hitler rise again....how did they know my interests

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 17, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cookies, man. Cookies.

My interests are cookies. What were we talking about?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

would a hitler rise again....how did they know my interests

i got that one, right above "would a hidden blade be effective"

Mantle
May 15, 2004

would a helicarrier be possible

What is a helicarrier? I guess I need to click to find out.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Mantle posted:

would a helicarrier be possible

What is a helicarrier? I guess I need to click to find out.

Avengers, bro

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Here's a guy that's bad with money and bad with life:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4m7do7/i_built_my_jeep_into_a_house_on_wheels_to_live_in/

He had a Jeep, paid to have a diesel engine put in it, then the engine ate itself and melted everything. His solution? Sell the Jeep and buy another one and put it and his impending trip on credit.

What trip you ask? He wants to drive through Africa. By himself. In a Jeep full of expensive poo poo. Surely he won't be carjacked or murdered.

Here's his idiot trip map:

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Inept posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4m7do7/i_built_my_jeep_into_a_house_on_wheels_to_live_in/

He had a Jeep, paid to have a diesel engine put in it, then the engine ate itself and melted everything. His solution? Sell the Jeep and buy another one and put it and his impending trip on credit.

What trip you ask? He wants to drive through Africa. By himself. In a Jeep full of expensive poo poo. Surely he won't be carjacked or murdered.

someone needs to tell this guy that he is missing a few hotspots in his deathroad tour.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Also he admitted that he funded much of Jeep #2 on a credit card. That's BWM on the bank though because there is zero chance they're ever seeing that money again.

Don't worry though the fantastic success of his blog and eBook will pay for everything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

At least his route avoids ISIS. That's about the only thing good thing I can see. He is going to pass through three different warring factions in Libya though.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The absolute best case scenario here is someone robs him at gunpoint and takes everything but he makes it back home alive. What a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I drove a small section of the least dangerous part of that route (namely through Kenya) a few years back, and it was pretty fun. Our guide, who was an important local religious leader, explained to us that collisions with pedestrians happen quite frequently. Cars are relatively rare, and people just walk down the street for many miles to get where they need to go. Everyone just jumps out of the way at the last minute when they hear a car coming, and then go back to walking in the middle of the street.

Anyway the guide explained that it was very, very important to flee the scene if we hit someone. There is a lot of class anger at the car drivers and a mob would quickly descend on us and simply beat us to death if we did stop after hitting someone, regardless of the situation. Even this priest had hit people multiple times and had to flee the scene, apparently it's an everyday thing in Kenya.

And that's the safest part of his trip by far.

• Locked thread