Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mymla posted:

You'll never guess who the protagonist of The Legend of Zelda is.

Zelda is the boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
First snowfall means it's time to fire up the ol' DD again. This game is pretty fast treadmill when you get back on it after ~8 months off but I managed to beat the Shambler on the first try for the first time ever! :cthulhu:

Crasical posted:

The fact that we don't see the crusader or the vestal, with the Man-At-Arms and the Occultist in their place, PLUS the enemy cultists having a 'fire' theme and white markings on their black hoods, makes me wonder if the church of the sacred flame/'The Light'/ The religious heroes have collectively *lost their poo poo* and turned into some kind of death cult.

This sounds cool and fun.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Crasical posted:

The fact that we don't see the crusader or the vestal, with the Man-At-Arms and the Occultist in their place, PLUS the enemy cultists having a 'fire' theme and white markings on their black hoods, makes me wonder if the church of the sacred flame/'The Light'/ The religious heroes have collectively *lost their poo poo* and turned into some kind of death cult.

Dismas gonna have to put Renault down like Old Yeller.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mymla posted:

You'll never guess who the protagonist of The Legend of Zelda is.

No no that's fine, semantically speaking

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

What about The Neverending Story?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rydiafan posted:

What about The Neverending Story?

That is also a problem, yes. I tell myself it's like The Worm Ourobouros and I could start over at the beginning.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Iymarra posted:

Hm..

The teaser from last? year was on a mountain and icy, this is some form of destroyed buildings. I do hope they haven't abandoned the initial setting
Call me picky but also querying their choices for characters to show - showing the man at arms and occultist is good, shows it isnt just base heroes from DD1 but people liked Reynauld and Dismas.
You gonna show the highwayman but not the crusader? :/

My baseless speculation is that Reynauld and either the Vestal or the Hellion are the members of the original Darkest Dungeon roster who sacrificed themselves in the final battle.

Bonus baseless speculation: you fight a hideously mutated version of Reynauld as the final boss of DD2.

e:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

DD 2 doesn't make sense. It can't be darker than the darkest.

Darkest Dungeon 2: This Is Getting Ridarkulous!

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 23, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
Vantablackest Dungeon

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The minis for the board game look loving sweet

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I want the board game out now so that I can paint some minis

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Wrr posted:

I want the board game out now so that I can paint some minis

Yeah the game itself looks a little too complex, like you're better off just playing the PC game, but the minis themselves look amazing and seem worth the cost (if you compare it to other tabletop games).

Besides, a lot of that material you could reuse for Dungeons and Dragons, Rangers of Shadow Deep, maybe turn a couple of the larger monsters into proxy demon princes for Warhammer. It's expensive but the sculpts look worth it. I'm just hoping they add Wilbur to the stretch goals.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Assuming the remaining locations are going to be unlocked as add-ons, this is going to be a $300 game.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Well this is just about the narrowest, most-Pyrrhic victory I've ever managed. R.I.P. to some real ones.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

FuriousGeorge posted:

Well this is just about the narrowest, most-Pyrrhic victory I've ever managed. R.I.P. to some real ones.

At times like these, it's hard to know whether or not the game is mocking you. My best "congrats I guess" story was against the first boss at the end of the first The Darkest Dungeon dungeon. Two characters died killing the boss with the remaining characters both suffering Afflictions. There was another enemy accompanying the boss, and while trying to kill it, I had a third character die and, while the fourth was on Death's Door, she did manage to flee the battle only to have the stress from fleeing give her a heart attack.

It counted as succeeding the mission.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey thread, I've avoided reading about the game before now because I've enjoyed exploring the game myself, but now I could really use some help.

Steam says I have 44 hours into my play through, with the Crimson Court DLC installed and I just really want to wrap this thing up; I love Darkest Dungeon but I feel like I'm nowhere near the ending (I have some level 4 and 5 characters but I don't have four level 6 characters, I'm roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the way  up most of the building upgrades). The problem is that I feel like my progress is glacial; every few irl months I install the game, launch one expedition, and remember that I've just thoroughly had my fill of the game.

I'd really like to know if there's anything I can do to finish this game in, say, another 10 hours; like maybe I'm not making productive use of my expeditions? I’m at work right now but if I need to pull the game up and give anyone specific details of my  hamlet, roster, trinkets, and dungeon progress, just let me know.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey thread, I've avoided reading about the game before now because I've enjoyed exploring the game myself, but now I could really use some help.

Steam says I have 44 hours into my play through, with the Crimson Court DLC installed and I just really want to wrap this thing up; I love Darkest Dungeon but I feel like I'm nowhere near the ending (I have some level 4 and 5 characters but I don't have four level 6 characters, I'm roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the way  up most of the building upgrades). The problem is that I feel like my progress is glacial; every few irl months I install the game, launch one expedition, and remember that I've just thoroughly had my fill of the game.

I'd really like to know if there's anything I can do to finish this game in, say, another 10 hours; like maybe I'm not making productive use of my expeditions? I’m at work right now but if I need to pull the game up and give anyone specific details of my  hamlet, roster, trinkets, and dungeon progress, just let me know.

You may want to try starting a new game. Crimson Court is significantly harder, and it will hold you back a lot. Also consider downloading a mod to increase your stacking capacity. The stacking limitations on your inventory are BRUTAL.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
It's a long loving grind since you will eventually need 20 (I think) lvl 6 characters to have the best shot at beating the game. Radiant mode will help but you may just be better off watching the last few. If it makes you feel any better, I have about 120 hours across four or five files and have never "beaten" the game since I find champion-level dungeons too aggravating to play repeatedly to grind

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ffff; that's not what I wanted to hear but maybe that's what I'll do, restart without the DLC and get a mod to eliminate loot stack limits.

In terms of measuring my progress is it just about completing the ultra hard quests at the top of the map or should I also be going through the bosses in the other maps? Sorry if that's a really obvious question but I haven't read up on the game; my basic gameplay strategy has been to complete missions until bosses show up, then fight them, and eventually I'll have a strong enough team to do the end game missions?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation

Jack B Nimble posted:

The key is stress management. Less stress in the dungeons means less money wasted to heal stress which means more money for weapon/skill upgrades. A few more pointers:

-Hoard portraits, because you need them to upgrade the guild which you need to update your abilities. You NEED to be running with the highest tier weapons/skills when possible, being under equipped/skilled is the biggest killer in veteran/champion difficulty. Don't waste portraits on the tavern, you need them for guild and stagecoach.

-Similarly, hoard Deeds for Blacksmith to upgrade weapons and armor. You also need them to expand your barracks capacity, so carefully balance that.

-Only spend money upgrading heroes you are going to immediately use that week. Only use stress relief buildings on heroes that are afflicted if possible.

-Have a big pool of heroes by expanding barracks when you can afford it. This lets you rotate between different heroes. Once they hit level 3 or 5 they must do harder dungeons so be careful about 'over leveling' them.

-Check the wiki for curio interactions to make sure you get the most out of them. On apprentice some might not be cost effective but in veteran/champ they definitely are.

-Boss fights are not required to beat the game so if you're stuck on some boss don't sweat it. Generally the more missions you do in an area the more available ones at various lengths /difficulties spawn later. You need to beat bosses to progress this further at some point but it's not mandatory.

-Heroes are free. You have blood to spare. Don't get attached to heroes, definitely dismiss the gibbering wrecks if you can't afford to treat them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ffff; that's not what I wanted to hear but maybe that's what I'll do, restart without the DLC and get a mod to eliminate loot stack limits.

In terms of measuring my progress is it just about completing the ultra hard quests at the top of the map or should I also be going through the bosses in the other maps? Sorry if that's a really obvious question but I haven't read up on the game; my basic gameplay strategy has been to complete missions until bosses show up, then fight them, and eventually I'll have a strong enough team to do the end game missions?
You want sixteen level 6 heroes for the final four 'Darkest Dungeon' missions. However note that fleeing those dungeons will kill two heroes at random, and any hero that went to one of the final dungeons takes a huge stress penalty for coming back. So the only benefit to having one or two crazed survivors is keeping the trinkets they had.

Like I said, the other bosses are kind of optional. If you manage to beat the hardest version you get a special trinket from them but only a few of them are worth the effort. Main thing is grinding heirlooms for town upgrades, money for hero upgrades, and trinkets.

Apprentice short dungeons give the least reward, but they are just enough to get a new hero from 0 to 1. So nice to get the zeros on track for minimal risk. Medium dungeons in apprentice have the benefit of camping and some people find them easier as a result. These are your typical early game grind runs. Long missions are for when you are trying to get as much money as you can in one go, but you'll need to bring a lot of supplies. However, consider if you breezed through a medium run that a long run is just 50% more of the same.

In Veteran there's a jump in effective hp dodge and crit from enemies and new large size enemies to deal with. Even fully upgraded you'll start to get outpaced by enemy stats so this is where you really need to use your noodle. This is also when you'll really want some decent trinkets to wring out as much speed accuracy and healing as you can.

Finally in Champion you have a huge jump in enemy hp lots of dodge and some real nasty additions. You don't actually have to do a ton of champion runs if you really don't want to; once a hero hits level 6 they're ready for the endgame. However, these dungeons offer the best rewards and long champion dungeons will offer some of the best quality trinkets as quest rewards as well as enough heirlooms to finish up any upgrades you haven't gotten.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I finally bought this on switch because my slay the spire runs have reached a plateau and it was on sale. Are there any up-to-date YouTubes with how to get started? I cleared the first mission but I'm not really sure what to do next. There's a lot of information and I'm not sure what to spend gold on or how to plan out a team. I hired everyone on the wagon.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I finally bought this on switch because my slay the spire runs have reached a plateau and it was on sale. Are there any up-to-date YouTubes with how to get started? I cleared the first mission but I'm not really sure what to do next. There's a lot of information and I'm not sure what to spend gold on or how to plan out a team. I hired everyone on the wagon.

Dunno about youtubes but I will note you have plenty of room to experiment. You can't lose your campaign or lock yourself in to a doomed save file or anything, the most you can be set back is having to train some new guys up and temporarily losing some good trinkets. Your questions also have pretty simple answers.

What to do next: Quests, anywhere. The buildings in the town open up over the course of the first 10 or so quests you do.
Gold: Don't consider buying trinkets until you're really far in the game, every other way you can spend money is perfectly fine if you aren't worrying about max efficiency.
Planning out a team: The character UI shows you where people can use their current abilities from, via the little yellow pips. Just make sure people are slotted in to places they can actually use their abilities, and try to bring atleast one person with a healing skill on a quest (Vestal, Occultist, and Flagellant are your primary healing classes)

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 7, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Also, keep an eye on negative quirks, some are pretty whatever and can be ignored, like bad gambler or known cheat, others like Reynauld's kelpo are annoying and can cost supplies and money until cured. Anything that reduces stats or cause a negative vs certain enemies should be dealt with sooner then later before they lock and cost an insane amount to cure. In that case, looking up what curios can cure negative quirks is a good bet for dealing with them. Also Color of Madness adds in several new positive and negative quirks but is totally side content so the farmstead can be ignored and should be for a bit, as beating the first mission of the farmstead has a powerful miniboss begin patrolling one of the 4 main areas every week at a 50% chance of spawning and is quite nasty to fight.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Cure diseases that hurt your stats. Some of them are easily able to be ignored (bleed resist? consumes more food? who cares), but ones that reduce your max HP should be cured IMMEDIATELY.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
It's also totally fair game to start a medium or long mission, camp for all of the benefits from that - disease and maybe stress removal/item finding, and then leaving the mission.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Good news! Recruiting heroes is free. And in Radiant or Darkest difficulty there's no loss state. Even if you have all your heroes die horribly, run completely out of money you can keep pushing on - my first campaign had a body count comparable to the battle of stalingrad lol.

Since recruiting is free it really pays to invest your deeds to expanding your barracks (max heroes). More heroes mean you can put together effective terms easier, rotate afflicted/diseased heroes out, and ensure you have groups of 4 all around the same level so they can do a dungeon together.

Another really useful upgrade is 'experienced recruits'. Once you've upgraded the guild and blacksmith a tier up, you can upgrade the stagecoach to bring experienced recruits. This gives new recruits the chance to start at level 1/2/3/4 with all the relevant equipment and skills. This actually saves you a TON of money because the higher the level the more stuff costs.

Expanding the number of potential recruits gives more possible heroes to pick from, but since this is still random I prefer to prioritize barracks capacity. Maybe get it up to 4 heroes at a time (so you'll always be able to recruit a whole party if need be).

Guild: You upgrade your skills here. Skill upgrades are important, because more than anything they improve the accuracy of your abilities. To save money, note that you don't need to upgrade all your skills. I tend to stick to 4 or 5. Unlocking skills the hero didn't start with is expensive, so when picking heroes try to pick one that already has skills you'll use. This is why experienced recruits is so valuable, as they come with everything unlocked up to their level. You need portraits to upgrade this building, so HOARD them as they only come 3 to a stack.

Blacksmith: Upgrades weapons and armor. In Darkest dungeons these upgrades affect damage, crit, speed, hp, and dodge by a fixed amount. This is an important upgrade; in apprentice (easy) dungeons, you can take up to level 2 heroes. With tier 3 weapons and armor those same dungeons are considerably easier! Use your deeds here to upgrade this. You'll want heroes upgraded as high as their level allows. At tier 5 it gets expensive so you kind of have to budget for hero upgrades.

Tavern: avoid upgrading this early on because it uses portraits which you need for the guild more. Upgrades to these buildings open more slots, heal more stress and cut the cost down. To save money only use Tavern /Abbey on afflicted heroes ; idle heroes passively heal 5 stress a week so with a big roster you can rotate enough people to help some get their stress down.

Abbey: this is a little better to upgrade because it needs busts which are less critical compared to other heirlooms, but don't waste too many improving it, as busts are useful for the sanitarium as well. Same as tavern, stress heals your guys for a fee.

Sanitarium: Removes negative quirks, locks good quirks (to prevent them from getting 'overwritten' by other good quirks) and heals diseases. Upgrade the treatment slots, there's a quest in the weald that lets you use this building for FREE for a week so the more that can benefit the better it is. Healing diseases is fairly cheap though there are a few camping skills that can do it. Removing bad quirks is pricey but some quirks are debilitating so it's important (though an afflicted low level hero with tons of bad quirks might warrant getting a pink slip to save you time and money).

Nomad Wagon: I don't bother buying trinkets much. Early on you'll spend most of your money on supplies for missions and upgrading your hero skills and weapons. You can expand the number of available trinkets for sale and discounts to costs. The upgrades only cost crests but even then I don't think it's that worth it unless you find something particularly good. But there's also a random event that has them all half off anyway. It's more cost effective to loot trinkets in dungeons and in missions the game rotates through trinket rewards in my opinion.

Survivalists tent: Similar to guild, it unlocks camping skills. Less essential than the guild itself, as you can right click perspective heroes to see what camp skills they have unlocked. I usually don't waste crests here for the discounts as I seldom unlock additional camp skills.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

JesustheDarkLord posted:

You can change what skills a hero has equipped while in a dungeon, as long as you are not currently in a battle. Lots of people don't know this.

You can feed food rations to heroes between battles for small heals.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Scouting chance stacks. Each time you enter a room, the game 'rolls' to see if you scout out the nearby area. In addition to revealing the type of room, you cannot get ambushed fighting a battle that has been scouted ahead of time.

Enemy ambush is based on torch level. The darker it is, the more likely to get ambushed. This can also be lowered with camp skills and prevented via scouting. If ambushed your positioning gets scrambled which can prevent heroes from using abilities that need to be in a specific spot to use.

Hero ambush is different. You are guaranteed to act before all the enemies. This is useful, particularly with heroes that are very slow ordinarily and tend to act after enemies. However you have to be careful; the enemy does get to act after your heroes, and fast enemies may get to go at the beginning of round 2. This is effectively being able to go twice in a row, so you'll want to kill or debilitate these enemies first.

With the right team and a little luck, you can proc a lot of scouting and ambushes and crushing the enemies caught by your onslaught. When you are new the game can feel punishing and random but getting the hang of it can mean you can roll through dungeons with little trouble, and getting better at knowing when to flee or abort dungeons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
You can flee battles, but there is a chance to fail. If you flee a battle the enemies will still spawn fully in that room or hallway tile. Your party will take a big hit of stress as well. However, fleeing can be prudent if a hero is in danger of dying or getting over stressed. You can even flee from boss fights (but beware, if the boss has abilities that 'capture' or 'trap' them they are dead and gone if you flee).

Aborting a mission is similar. Aborting a mission will stress your heroes but return safely to the hamlet. You won't get the quest reward but it can be less risky than pushing your team too hard and getting a full wipe. I tend to have certain criteria for Aborting a mission: suffering a casualty (unless you are VERY close to beating the boss or finishing up the objectives) getting 2+ heroes afflicted, screwing up and taking the wrong heroes, forgetting trinkets, torches, food or shovels, etc I'll just call a mulligan.

Losing in this game often happens in a cascade of failures. It's seldom "rocks fall everyone dies" and rather "you forgot a shovel, scratched through 3 blockages, had a hard fight you barely survived, had to camp earlier than you planned, oh poo poo you got a nighttime ambushed now you got a guy afflicted and another one on deaths door, hope that next bleed tick doesn't do him in WOOPS it killed him, another guy got afflicted, the first afflicted guy smacked an ally putting him on deaths door [this is usually where the streamer starts smashing the keyboard in half]. So knowing when to fold is important to hedge against these problems.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I haven’t played since before Crimson Court was released, but I’ve recently decided to give the game another go with all the DLC. I’ve heard some mixed things about CC; are there any mods to make it less bullshit? What about the other DLC? I’ve no interest in new classes or anything like that; I just want annoying and unfun mechanics fixed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Play through on Radiant to re familiarize yourself if it's been a while. I do recommend the DLC personally, and encourage you to at least try it before modding it around.

Crimson Court consists of four new missions and a new Bloodsucker enemy type. These enemies can be rather fast for the given difficulty level you fight them in, and have an ability that can give your heroes the Crimson Curse, a progressive kind of vampirism that debuffs their health (but boosts their speed). Each week the curse can spread to other heroes. It cannot be cured like other diseases.

The only way to cure it is to defeat each of the three main bosses which hits a big reset button on the curse for a while. The latter 3 missions are extremely long, but leaving them saves your progress up to that point so you can resume with a new team (the only issue being that you have to loot invitations from a specific enemy to get access each attempt. The missions are totally beatable in one go as you can loot firewood and food along the way. The dungeons are also fixed and you can look up the maps if you wish (overall they aren't that bad, just involve a fair bit of backtracking).

To help keep the curse from progressing you need to use vials of blood. Cursed heros in town will also consume stockpiled blood on your own. The major complaint people had was letting the curse spiral out of control, running out of blood and needing to grind a specific enemy for invitations. This only becomes a problem if you take too long to beat a particular boss mission (since defeating a boss cures everyone and clears up the infestation for a while).

When you first activate Crimson Court you'll get a 'The town is abuzz!' event, to do an apprentice difficulty mission in the Court before the 3 main ones. If you AVOID this mission then you don't have to deal with the curse or vampires or anything yet and can build up your roster, money and trinkets ahead of time to prepare, which is recommended.

The DLC also comes with the Flagellant hero class, a very useful hero in his own right but particularly well suited for the missions because Bloodsucker enemies are vulnerable to bleed. You also get Districts, additional hamlet buildings you can unlock. Most are mid to late game additions, but a few can be built pretty early on if you wish (there's one that gives 2 vials of blood a week which is helpful). Beyond the first one you build you need to loot blueprints off bosses to build more.

Overall it's challenging but not that bad if you prepare. The two big things for people was letting the curse get out of control, and the Crocodilian miniboss you initially face at the end of the first mission. This enemy is on the strong side for apprentice difficulty but with the right team is manageable (I recommend stacking of bleed).

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Anyone have any thoughts on Iratus or Vambrace? Played Mistover and didn't really like it, curious about other DD inspired games.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Also, once the CC enemies start popping up regularly in the other dungeons, just suck it up and equip your teams with disease resist trinkets. The curse and blood etc is much more manageable if you have ~1 hero coming back cursed rather than 3-4 every time.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
If a character does get the CC, it actually overrides and prevents all other diseases, and each CC enemy that uses the Gather The Blood attack has a % chance to try to infect a character with the curse, which then rolls vs their disease resist, characters with naturally high disease resist like the Plague Doctor with say Fortifying Garlic are very resistant to getting it. Also, don't have CC cursed characters and non cursed characters be in the same stress relief building or make use of the Sanitarium at the same time, as there is a chance for the non-cursed character to get cursed that way. They can both be in the same party on a quest just fine though. As the curse moves from passive to craving to wasting there is a chance for them to act out in combat/hallways though. You can also active the Flagellant and Courtyard separately, and I recommend activating the Courtyard only when you have a fair few level 2 heroes so that the 1st mission isn't as deadly, the Croc is way meaner then is the norm for apprentice difficulty bosses.

If you want to use mods to make the CC less annoying, I recommend the less CC chance mod and the light version of better CC mod. The later slightly lessens the negative stats from the curse but more importantly removes the random act outs more or less, which can be flat out deadly in champ missions.

By other DLC, do you mean the Farmstead? As that is 95% locked in its own special thing that only has a single direct interaction with the main game, and also adds in a number of positive and negative quirks, and thus is pretty safe to activate early, as you can choose when to go through its first two missions to unlock the Endless Harvest.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 8, 2020

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

UED Special Ops posted:

By other DLC, do you mean the Farmstead? As that is 95% locked in its own special thing that only has a single direct interaction with the main game, and also adds in a number of positive and negative quirks, and thus is pretty safe to activate early, as you can choose when to go through its first two missions to unlock the Endless Harvest.

One of the things that I enjoyed about my last run through the game is how each area had a distinct feel and how the enemies in each area felt like they belonged there. I had heard that with CC and Shieldbreaker, suddenly all the maps are full of mosquitoes and ghost snakes, which I don't like the sound of. Is there any truth to that, and if so, is there anything I can do about it?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Noskill posted:

One of the things that I enjoyed about my last run through the game is how each area had a distinct feel and how the enemies in each area felt like they belonged there. I had heard that with CC and Shieldbreaker, suddenly all the maps are full of mosquitoes and ghost snakes, which I don't like the sound of. Is there any truth to that, and if so, is there anything I can do about it?

With CC after you beat the 1st Courtyard mission very slowly over time a select few CC Bloodsucker enemies begin to spawn in the 4 normal areas, and at high infestation Cocoon pods spawn as curios that when interacted with spawn a Bloodsucker group with a unique Gatekeeper enemy that drops an invitation when killed, although you have to kill him quick before he flees after a couple of turns. Even at high infestation you will get normal enemy spawns, but those select CC enemies will be semi-common. Once a CC boss is killed, all cursed heroes are cured and the infestation drops to zero for a few weeks before starting up slowly again.

As for the Shieldbreaker, she has a 50% chance of having a unique camping encounter, but she does warn you if it is coming up after you have the camp meal, so don't waste points preventing nighttime ambushes in that case. 3 for apprentice, and 2 each for vet and champ, across the entire Shieldbreaker class. Beat these and she never gets nightmare encounters again, and in fact gets a bonus after camping. Once all nightmares are beaten, very rarely will the snakes show up as an encounter, allowing you to collect more Aegis Scales. Some of the snakes are stealthed, so make sure to have anti-stealth skills set before camping with her.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Finally beat the game, years after I started that campaign. I could not get certain area specific end bosses to appear, not sure why, so I just body slammed the last 3 Darkest Dungeon quests back to back. I lost 2 characters during the last mission but I guess that's to be expected. Echoing the sentiment that Crimson Court is a bad DLC, because it makes the grind way worse. (I basically restarted to turn it off) The Flagellant, Shieldbreaker and hamlet upgrades are pretty good additions on the other hand. The Farmstead I mostly ignored, because it's just more pointless grind.

I don't think I'll ever touch the game again but I'm really curious what they have in mind for the sequel. (their new type font is bad though, why change it?)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I bought this years ago and never gave it a fair shake, and as of 4 days ago I can't stop playing it. The endless new class mods on the workshop have given me infinite party combos! With just a few tweaks the game seems a lot more fun now with some of the cruel punishments toned down if you're doing well.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I'm gonna be a broken record and say Vestal > Jester > MAA > Shieldbreaker is the easy mode party if you want an unmodded experience. I think only the Crimson Court's end boss threatened them with anything more than a minor scratch.

Crasical posted:

This is from months back but was it speculation on the part of the fans or just heavily inferred that The Sacred Flame would be among the bad guys this time around?

EDIT: The Sleeper wrecked them, too.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
It was speculation on the part of the me, anyway. I dunno if anyone else was thinking along similar lines.