Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it turns out it gold roger meant to say 'one's peace' and luffy just finds roger's zen garden at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Even though it's a pirate anime this Zolo dude is just like a samurai

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

My students in Japan sometimes write the title as One Peace and I'm like, there are over eighty books and god knows how many covers of Shonen Jump magazine with these two words printed in plain English, how can you do this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

My students in Japan sometimes write the title as One Peace and I'm like, there are over eighty books and god knows how many covers of Shonen Jump magazine with these two words printed in plain English, how can you do this

I love Nep Ce

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Even though it's a pirate anime this Zolo dude is just like a samurai

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'm currently watching the Dressrosa arc (very early on, the gladiator poo poo just begun). What's the general consensus on it? Doffy's one of my favorite OP villains, and I just love the way Dressrosa look aesthetically.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm currently watching the Dressrosa arc (very early on, the gladiator poo poo just begun). What's the general consensus on it? Doffy's one of my favorite OP villains, and I just love the way Dressrosa look aesthetically.

In the manga it's kind of divisive. Lot of problems with it that stem from the huge number of characters, the perspective shifts around a ton and you very rarely got to see a single fight happening for very long without cutting away to something else. Personally, I enjoyed it because it was a lot of frantic crazy fun and it introduced Bart and Cabbage, who are both excellent characters, as well as a bunch of other rowdy weirdos.

Don't know how the anime version is though. Marineford was what finally broke me on watching that and I've only seen clips here and there since.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Dressrosa is really good up until they get to climax.

And then padding. And more padding. And even more padding.

And boring characters you don't care about taking up pagetime.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

birdcage

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dressrosa takes roughly 115 episodes in the anime; you would need some kind of congenital brain defect to want to sit through the whole thing.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

LotGH is like 115 episodes or something and that took me 3 months to finish and it was pretty slow. Just lol if you've convinced yourself that watching anime is a good usage of your time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Episode count is less important than what is in each episode.

What is in each episode is bad. And that is why you should not watch the anime.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

115 episodes for ONE arc? :psyboom:

What the hell happened to OP? It used to be one of the more reasonable anime when it came to filler.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Interweb posted:

What the hell happened to OP? It used to be one of the more reasonable anime when it came to filler.
I gather they realized they could just animate less content per episode and it'd still put butts in seats or sell merch or whatever the metrics are.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

To be fair, One Piece gets the benefit there of that being both simple and accurate. Just look at the official English spellings from other stuff, Hunter x Hunter being the most egregious (Quwrof Wrlccywrlir), and that suddenly seems like a fair presumption to just ignore.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mr Interweb posted:

Toei clinging hard to that old "gotta keep the timeslot or else we'll never get a new one!!!" mentality despite One Piece being the most popular manga ever. Even when paced like a glacier and incredibly poorly animated the canon material still gets better ratings than filler arcs. So, because Oda takes a break 1 week every month, the anime can't even keep a 1 chapter = 1 episode pace. It's really something.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm really glad that most anime seems to be moving away from the One Piece way of doing things. Even MHA which is a pretty popular new shonen so far is only doing one season a year rather than just constantly running.

Really wish the One Piece anime would adjust to that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Viridiant posted:

I'm really glad that most anime seems to be moving away from the One Piece way of doing things. Even MHA which is a pretty popular new shonen so far is only doing one season a year rather than just constantly running.

I look forward to One piece Kai in 2040

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Andrast posted:

I look forward to One piece Kai in 2040

Why wait? One Pace already exists. :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Viridiant posted:

The thing is, One Piece has a really primo timeslot, okay?

And yeah, like everyone else has kinda hinted at is that since Marineford, the OP anime has been stretching the material out to ungodly lengths, to the detriment of the source material (they'll repeat the same gags over and over, running them into the ground; it makes matches that were curbstomps look like struggles for our heroes, ruining the sense of power scale; and they just drag out the material so much that it comes across very cheeply produced, so lots of still frames, closeups and reaction faces, repeating things at the beginning of each episode, etc). Not to mention the animation quality in general has gone down a significant margin.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The problem is they can get away with 0 effort. It's OP in a prime timeslot so people will watch regardless.
Just slap some even bigger tits on the female cast whenever ratings start to drop.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mulderman posted:

The problem is they can get away with 0 effort. It's OP in a prime timeslot so people will watch regardless.
Just slap some even bigger tits on the female cast whenever ratings start to drop.

oda does this himself for no reason anyway

also wasn't the filler actually kinda good? weird how they didn't stick with it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, have there even been any straight filler arcs in the anime since Marineford aside from that tie in with Film Gold? Because at this point I think I would actually prefer that to the current setup.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

I forget, have there even been any straight filler arcs in the anime since Marineford aside from that tie in with Film Gold? Because at this point I think I would actually prefer that to the current setup.

There was the tie-in to film Z too, and there was a filler ep or two between zou and whole cake island.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish lily enstomach was canon and also a crew member

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Larryb posted:

Two I can think of. The PetoPeto guy who made Pets. And the Marine base expedition for food with the Demon Arm Marine.

The marine one was double dumb because it was filler that Luffy ate all the food, let's go raid this marine base. Which 2 episodes later, they are out of food again to meet Germa.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Yinlock posted:

oda does this himself for no reason anyway

also wasn't the filler actually kinda good? weird how they didn't stick with it

This is true, but look no further than Rebecca in Dressrosa Or Nami currently. What I'm saying is they add this on TOP of Oda's designs.

Also, yeah, there were some pretty good filler arcs. I always loved how this would give characters who usually don't interact some moments together. Like Sanji and Usopp.
Seriously, they wouldn't even have to invent new villains etc. Just have a few chapters of the crew hanging out would be much appreciated.

Though I guess what with the crew being mostly split up for recent arcs, putting those kind of fillers in between is difficult.

Also G8 is one of the funniest arcs in the entire series.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So on average, One Piece anime fans love badly drawn, tediously drawn out story content and hate even the good filler.

The solution is to mulch them all into fertiliser; their absolute lack of standards and taste will be sorely missed, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The obvious other solution would be just to animate the cover arcs, but they tried that before with some of arguably the least interesting ones and people hated it so guess we can't ever do that again. Who'd even want to see Enel's rad moon adventure or CP9 trying to raise money to help heal Lucci and then just hanging out for a while?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
they want more cracker vs luffy

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
dressrosa was one of the worst arcs for me and big mom is one of the best

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I wish we had gotten Snakeman against Doffy so it was a more technical, fast-paced fight vs. the slugfest it turned into.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the doffy fight would have been fine if he'd just stayed down the first time luffy hit him with gear 4. unfortunately he did not

is dressrosa actually 100+ episodes in the anime? I thought that was a joke at first but people took it seriously so...

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Millions posted:

I wish we had gotten Snakeman against Doffy so it was a more technical, fast-paced fight vs. the slugfest it turned into.

Actually, yeah. I would have loved if Doffy was expressed as much more of a technical fighter. It felt strange seeing him tank so many hits, even despite his self-suturing ability.

Snakeman for Technical Doffy and Bounceman for Powerhouse Katakuri seems like much more of a natural fit, if the fights were reflected as much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It'd still have the dumbass Birdcage but at least it'd be less egregious.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

God, Birdcage was such nonsense.

I'm gonna mentally just rewrite that out of my head.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I really enjoyed Dressrosa, but I really like Law and enjoyed Luffy's adventures in basically loving around by himself

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tsob posted:

That said, I do wonder what's going to happen with the mirror in the town square of Cacoa Island since Katakuri obviously isn't going through it now.

Same, it really seemed specifically for that. Loved that Luffy covered up Katakuri's mouth at the end though :kimchi:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Manatee Cannon posted:

the doffy fight would have been fine if he'd just stayed down the first time luffy hit him with gear 4. unfortunately he did not

is dressrosa actually 100+ episodes in the anime? I thought that was a joke at first but people took it seriously so...

I mean, it was literally 100 chapters in the Manga, and the Anime is adapting it at a pace slower than 1 chapter per episode, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

God, Birdcage was such nonsense.

I'm gonna mentally just rewrite that out of my head.

Birdcage would have worked a lot better if Oda ditched the whole 'I'm shrinking it so everyone is getting sliced up' angle, it was a step too far