Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Lightning Knight posted:

I like Crota but it’s the weakest of D1’s raids.

WOTM should be the benchmark imo.

for real tho im as mad about video games as i get about the new raid just being a naked excuse to reuse assets and not at all breaking from the lovely leviathan formula of "all hoops, gently caress the actual fps part of our fps game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Soo the leviathan is going to be the only raid content in DLC1 & 2 before triangle boys show up after that? Sounds p. weak I was hoping for a vex and rasputin raid.

Who says we don't get a traditional raid in addition to the lair in expansion 2?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Norns posted:

Who says we don't get a traditional raid in addition to the lair in expansion 2?

The idiots on the "raid" team at Bungie that they had on stream.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Angry Walrus posted:

The idiots on the "raid" team at Bungie that they had on stream.

I don't recall them saying Lairs are the end all for raid content now and forever

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Norns posted:

I don't recall them saying Lairs are the end all for raid content now and forever

Lairs are the only confirmed raid content until about next September, at the earliest. That’s basically forever for a game that currently has a player retention problem.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I wasn't expecting anything like actual new raids at all and that "raid content" would be just some extra challenges and rooms.

Considering the percentage of the playerbase that actually raids, lairs seem like a decent compromise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Angry Walrus posted:

for real tho im as mad about video games as i get about the new raid just being a naked excuse to reuse assets and not at all breaking from the lovely leviathan formula of "all hoops, gently caress the actual fps part of our fps game"

Why do you think the new encounters won't involve shooting stuff?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Roman posted:

I wasn't expecting anything like actual new raids at all and that "raid content" would be just some extra challenges and rooms.

Considering the percentage of the playerbase that actually raids, lairs seem like a decent compromise.

Nah gently caress that, raids are like 40-50% of the draw for this game and expecting 1 raid per expansion is not unreasonable.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

haveblue posted:

My dude, have you played Leviathan?

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

Because gently caress you dad, thats why *slams down knife and fork and runs to bedroom weeping*

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Designing raids seems like a pretty big and time consuming undertaking, especially relative to the amount of people that play the stuff, so as long as it plays differently in a meaningful, this seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise to me.

Have they said if it'll be Cabal or Vex? I mean, I assume Cabal but it's not like they can't bullshit a reason for the Vex to show up there.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Angry Walrus posted:

Yes and all raids are exactly the same.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

VJeff posted:

Have they said if it'll be Cabal or Vex? I mean, I assume Cabal but it's not like they can't bullshit a reason for the Vex to show up there.

let me fix the lore for them on that, "oh poo poo, its the vex......"

Hire me Bungle

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Angry Walrus posted:

Yes, and you shoot a shitton of stuff in the baths and final encounter, it's only dogs and gauntlet with disappointingly low levels of shooting. They could easily have more encounter designs that involve shooting as much stuff as the first two or more.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I hope this is an Onyxia style raid.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

haveblue posted:

Yes, and you shoot a shitton of stuff in the baths and final encounter, it's only dogs and gauntlet with disappointingly low levels of shooting. They could easily have more encounter designs that involve shooting as much stuff as the first two or more.

They could, but they won't.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I guess either expansion 2 or thereafter is when we might be getting a new Raid.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im glad I bought this for 5 bux after trade-in because that expansion sounds like a wet fart, not too confident in the Mercury area. Really was hoping a few more Strikes would be added.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

im glad I bought this for 5 bux after trade-in because that expansion sounds like a wet fart, not too confident in the Mercury area. Really was hoping a few more Strikes would be added.

There are at least two new strikes that we know about from a PC Gamer article. This was one of three live streams about the new content.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm excited. Sorry some of y'all are still bummed out

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
the actual content looks nice visually but i need the live team to deliver on some of the poo poo they talked about in that TWAB a few weeks ago before i can even get casually sprung

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

There's still 2 more live streams

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Is the infinite forest a nephalem rift situation? Also, do we get a new Buff Gay Phrase for the thread to pick up in season 2 or will everyone still claim they eat rear end? I'm looking for that new content, not a reskin of an existing saying.

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk

poor life choice posted:

Is the infinite forest a nephalem rift situation? Also, do we get a new Buff Gay Phrase for the thread to pick up in season 2 or will everyone still claim they eat rear end? I'm looking for that new content, not a reskin of an existing saying.

Destiny 2 Console Thread: Infinitely recycled lovely content

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

the real raid is your friend's rear end. eat up

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So what exactly is the Infinite Forest supposed to be, then?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IronSaber posted:

So what exactly is the Infinite Forest supposed to be, then?

I'd wait for the detailed writeups that are probably going to show up soon on gaming sites/youtube channels, but it seems to be a randomized space where every trip into it results in a different combination of rooms and encounters. I don't know if that's comparable to a nephalem rift.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doesnt sound worth it. But time to wait to see what this raid lair is gonna be.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Another possibility, Leviathan ate up relevant Vex and Warmind locales and they will be on-theme, but then that these huge threats are so easily kept locked away on this ship also makes them look puny.

This is really loving lame, tbh. That isn't to speak of quality, the Lair mini-raids could be really loving cool. Doubtful, but they could be. This just feels so, so lame, obtusely and acutely.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Procedural content can be good if it's assets created by artists that are then arranged into a level by an algorithm, like that Division expansion. When you try to have areas 100% created by computers like No Man's Sky it ends up looking and playing like dogshit.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

"Instead of landing at the Palace, we flew down to the dick of the ship where the Vex happened to have built a superstructure..."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monday_ posted:

Procedural content can be good if it's assets created by artists that are then arranged into a level by an algorithm, like that Division expansion. When you try to have areas 100% created by computers like No Man's Sky it ends up looking and playing like dogshit.

Of those choices, it looks like the former is happening here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cvnvcnv posted:

Given the precedent of big threat --> raid, this is just raid for raid sake, which is lol and :sad:. Takes the piss out of the lore we're focused on for supplementary lore.

I've given up caring about the lore beyond specific subplots. The Vex have loving time travel capabilities, they're the winners and it's just a contrivance that they haven't already taken over the entire universe. I mean, they're also the only interesting enemies, which I guess helps.

haveblue posted:

Of those choices, it looks like the former is happening here.

That's good. The Underground missions were actually a ton of fun to play.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Roman posted:

Weekly Heroic Strikes coming back, rare and purple gear rewards

So why bother lol

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Matched up with Kraftyy again, he didn't puss out this time.
https://i.imgur.com/azLupkr.gifv
I'm extremely proud of myself, I think I held my own pretty good. I think I've hit one of those upper tiers of matchmaking though, and solo dropping is super rough.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

^burtle posted:

"Instead of landing at the Palace, we flew down to the dick of the ship where the Vex happened to have built a superstructure..."

Excuse me but we all know Vex live in the anus.

That's what those beads they dropped from D1 were for.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

LeafyOrb posted:

Excuse me but we all know Vex live in the anus.

That's what those beads they dropped from D1 were for.

Exactly, you go in the dick and raid through the undercarriage.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

SpazmasterX posted:

So why bother lol
Those are the same rewards the D1 Heroic strikes had. But those were worth doing for the weekly gift boxes, vanguard rep, unique items like the Grasp, and higher light rewards from Zavala's strike bounties. So the question is not what the per strike rewards are but what else will give incentive to play them. We'll probably get that infor next week

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

21-1, only death was to heavy

https://twitter.com/1337_5CR4BBL3/status/930952813999460356

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
A new wing to an existing raid will not fix the underlying glaring issues with the base game and will not help with the already dead population and player retention.