Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I would like to setup PureFTPd to listen on multiple ports. I was looking through the PureFTPd documentation and it mentions that one way I can do this is to run multiple instances of PureFTPd. How would I do that on Ubuntu. It seems Ubuntu uses a special PureFTPd configuration wrapper script. How would I start 2 instances with 2 different configurations?

Also, if this setup is easier to achieve using another ftp server, I wouldn't mind switching. I'm not tied to PureFTPd.

My intention is to have PureFTPd listening on 21 and 27015. I use my ftp server for simple things on my local network, but I also want to use it because when I want to send a file to a friend over AIM, it's always trouble. So I would forward 27015 to the outside world.

I was also reading something about IP Masquerading, but that seems it would work if my Ubuntu machine was my router. Am I correct?

wolfs fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 10, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

rincewind101 posted:

I would like to setup PureFTPd to listen on multiple ports. I was looking through the PureFTPd documentation and it mentions that one way I can do this is to run multiple instances of PureFTPd. How would I do that on Ubuntu. It seems Ubuntu uses a special PureFTPd configuration wrapper script. How would I start 2 instances with 2 different configurations?

Also, if this setup is easier to achieve using another ftp server, I wouldn't mind switching. I'm not tied to PureFTPd.

My intention is to have PureFTPd listening on 21 and 27015. I use my ftp server for simple things on my local network, but I also want to use it because when I want to send a file to a friend over AIM, it's always trouble. So I would forward 27015 to the outside world.
When any kind of port forwarding is involved, HTTP is a much better protocol to use.

quote:

I was also reading something about IP Masquerading, but that seems it would work if my Ubuntu machine was my router. Am I correct?
IP masquerading is a form of NAT. As far as FTP is concerned, it's mostly an obstacle.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

teapot posted:

Use mdadm --manage --add to add remaining devices to the array.

Hate to ask a silly question but what drive should I add as all of them are saying different things as when I try to start it says it can only find two.
When I try to add any drive to the array it says
code:
mdadm: cannot get array info for /dev/md0
Thanks for you help, will be migrating to hardware raid when I get this back up and running

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
My dad has this old laptop with a 380mhz processor and maybe 256mb of RAM, tops. It also has a 20gb~ hdd installed in it and is running 98se (It was bought with windows 95)

since I'm not asking for a new laptop, or whatever, id like to use with what ive got

what i want to do is this:
1) I would like to use this computer for school, no gaming or heavy media related things.
2) I would like to install linux on here
3) my school uses word documents alot (they run Office 2007)

That being said, my question(s) is/are this: what distro should i install on this computer and what xwindows type shell thing should i use? fluxbox? xfce? also would OpenOffice work on this?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Gvaz posted:

My dad has this old laptop with a 380mhz processor and maybe 256mb of RAM, tops. It also has a 20gb~ hdd installed in it and is running 98se (It was bought with windows 95)

since I'm not asking for a new laptop, or whatever, id like to use with what ive got

what i want to do is this:
1) I would like to use this computer for school, no gaming or heavy media related things.
2) I would like to install linux on here
3) my school uses word documents alot (they run Office 2007)

That being said, my question(s) is/are this: what distro should i install on this computer and what xwindows type shell thing should i use? fluxbox? xfce? also would OpenOffice work on this?

Fluxbox and XFCE are pretty much your only two choices. Fluxbox might be a little faster than XFCE. Both Xubuntu and Fluxbuntu would be ideal candidates for install, keeping in mind that you won't be able to do a graphical install with only 256mb of RAM.

OpenOffice will run, but you will hate your life.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Zuph posted:

Fluxbox and XFCE are pretty much your only two choices. Fluxbox might be a little faster than XFCE. Both Xubuntu and Fluxbuntu would be ideal candidates for install, keeping in mind that you won't be able to do a graphical install with only 256mb of RAM.

thats what i was thinking of, i have fluxbuntu downloaded and tried it via a VM on my windows box and it seemed to run fine, althought it didnt have much of anything thats fine too. is there any linux program that saves in .doc or something that isnt OO or am i gonna have to be stuck to .rtf files?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Gvaz posted:

thats what i was thinking of, i have fluxbuntu downloaded and tried it via a VM on my windows box and it seemed to run fine, althought it didnt have much of anything thats fine too. is there any linux program that saves in .doc or something that isnt OO or am i gonna have to be stuck to .rtf files?

Abiword is more lightweight, but it doesn't support as many features as OpenOffice.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Gvaz posted:

is there any linux program that saves in .doc or something that isnt OO or am i gonna have to be stuck to .rtf files?

kword (KDE) and abiword (Gnome) should work okay - the more complicated the .doc, the more chances it'll be garbled. I'm not sure, but my gut feeling tells me abiword should be less resource heavy.

I tend to stick to .rtf for files I create anyway, just out of paranoia.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

JoeNotCharles posted:

kword (KDE) and abiword (Gnome) should work okay - the more complicated the .doc, the more chances it'll be garbled. I'm not sure, but my gut feeling tells me abiword should be less resource heavy.

I tend to stick to .rtf for files I create anyway, just out of paranoia.

Abiword has worked fine for me in the ast and was MUCH faster to load than OpenOffice. That being said, I have never had any heavily formatted (special characters, etc.) word documents, but it worked fine for normal usage.

Openbox is also another alternative to Fluxbox and Xfce. I haven't ever used Xfce, but Openbox and Fluxbox were about the same.

Just more options/opinions.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Going crazy here. Been trying for the last 30 minutes to get this straight but it just won't budge.

In my .screenrc I have the following line:
hardstatus alwayslastline '%{g}%-w%{b}%n %t%{-}%+w %<%{kk}'
Which gives me a tab-bar that looks exactly like I want it to, except that I want the background of the tabs to be black too (it should be white if you use that line). Anyone? :( Been banging my head against the wall on this one for way too long.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Random question:

Is it possible that different compiler versions may just break applications in non-obvious ways?

I've compiled WINE with gcc 3.4.3 and while simple Windows applications work, for instance trying to get a game working (EVE), just results in WINE exiting with code 255 and no output.

Applying some recommended CFLAGS actually breaks the compilation, too.

I'm compiling gcc 4.2.2 now, though it's unsupported, since it supposedly introduces various bugs in applications compiled for Solaris.

agnitrate
Oct 20, 2002
tool fan

Marinmo posted:

Going crazy here. Been trying for the last 30 minutes to get this straight but it just won't budge.

In my .screenrc I have the following line:
hardstatus alwayslastline '%{g}%-w%{b}%n %t%{-}%+w %<%{kk}'
Which gives me a tab-bar that looks exactly like I want it to, except that I want the background of the tabs to be black too (it should be white if you use that line). Anyone? :( Been banging my head against the wall on this one for way too long.

I'm assuming your terminal background color isn't black, because using that line gives me a black background tab in my black background terminal. However, isn't it just as simple as making it this:

hardstatus alwayslastline '%{kg}%-w%{kb}%n %t%{-}%+w %<%{kk}' ?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Toiletbrush posted:

Random question:

Is it possible that different compiler versions may just break applications in non-obvious ways?

I've compiled WINE with gcc 3.4.3 and while simple Windows applications work, for instance trying to get a game working (EVE), just results in WINE exiting with code 255 and no output.

Applying some recommended CFLAGS actually breaks the compilation, too.

I'm compiling gcc 4.2.2 now, though it's unsupported, since it supposedly introduces various bugs in applications compiled for Solaris.

Is this a linux or solaris question? Are you using the directions for solaris for installing wine?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose it would apply to both, since gcc would do the same potential gently caress up on both systems.

As for the compile breakage, it appeared that it was a name collision thanks to some human being that couldn't be bothered to hold the shift key when specifying some CFLAGS in the spec file (-Dpic instead of -DPIC).

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Gvaz posted:

is there any linux program that saves in .doc or something that isnt OO or am i gonna have to be stuck to .rtf files?
Google Docs.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

agnitrate posted:

I'm assuming your terminal background color isn't black, because using that line gives me a black background tab in my black background terminal. However, isn't it just as simple as making it this:

hardstatus alwayslastline '%{kg}%-w%{kb}%n %t%{-}%+w %<%{kk}' ?
Me love you long time. It's not perfect, (selected tab) background is still green instead of black on the selected tab (I wonder why that is, since kg should make it black background with green text?) but I can definitely live with that. I have black background on the terminal (using putty), so I really don't get why the default is white/grey. Using lastest putty-tray and Ubuntu 7.10. :(

Edit:
Switching kg in the first {} (so it's gk) made the trick. I think I may love this. Thank you SO much! :)

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 12, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Zuph posted:

:wtf: are you, guys, talking about? I had slightly faster box (P2 400MHz, 384M of RAM) running regular Ubuntu (minus Nautilus) with only minor slowdown.

The only problem I can expect is reading Office 2007 files (writing should be fine).

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

jdonz posted:

Google Docs.

What are the chances that it doesn't use the same backend when dealing with Microsoft formats? It's not like anyone can ask Microsoft for a Word file parser that will be used for a free online service.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

teapot posted:

:wtf: are you, guys, talking about? I had slightly faster box (P2 400MHz, 384M of RAM) running regular Ubuntu (minus Nautilus) with only minor slowdown.

The only problem I can expect is reading Office 2007 files (writing should be fine).

I was running Xubuntu 7.04 on a slightly slower machine (AMD K6-2 350mhz and 256mb of Ram) and OpenOffice was painfully slow to open, and forget dealing with any files that have inline-images.

That said, I running Xubuntu 7.04 on a slightly faster machine (500mh PIII with 512mb of Ram) was extremely usable. Even Youtube worked fine.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Zuph posted:

I was running Xubuntu 7.04 on a slightly slower machine (AMD K6-2 350mhz and 256mb of Ram) and OpenOffice was painfully slow to open, and forget dealing with any files that have inline-images.

That said, I running Xubuntu 7.04 on a slightly faster machine (500mh PIII with 512mb of Ram) was extremely usable. Even Youtube worked fine.

OpenOffice loading time mostly depends on your hard drive. Prefetching it (available in Ubuntu but usually not configured to prefetch monstrously large things) helps, and for boxes with a lot of RAM and very slow drives (such as my laptop) I wrote a really stupid program that loads and locks all libraries it sees loaded at some point when the user runs data collection script. Whatever program was running at that point, loads nearly instantly, at the price of massive grinding on boot-up when preloading is taking place. I haven't experimented with OpenOffice "pre-locking" yet, however startup-slowpokes such as Firefox and Thunderbird now load within 5 seconds on first startup.

teapot fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 12, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Still having trouble with the desktop background missing on startup.

jdonz posted:

Try:

code:
    ps -ef | grep nautilus
You should see:

code:
    [joshua@jupiter ~]$ ps -ef | grep nautilus
    joshua    9569  9540  0 08:20 pts/0    00:00:00 grep naut
    joshua   24742     1  0 Oct22 ?        00:00:16 nautilus --no-default-window --sm-client-id default3
    [joshua@jupiter ~]$

That returns

code:
swmmng    7796  7778  0 21:35 pts/0    00:00:00 grep nautilus
So, sort of the same?

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this; I've been using Finale a lot, and it doesn't quite behave nicely in Ubuntu.

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005
Ok, I'm trying to get my usb to serial converter to work with minicom (cables unlimited), and after many days of troubleshooting, I think I may have found the problem. After checking dmesg and lsusb, the operating system seems to notice it, however, when I look into the /dev directory, there isn't a ttyUSB*, which minicom needs in order to use the converter.

The cable packaging says that it supports linux 2.4, but I don't know if they've given up on supporting it or not.

Also, I've looked on google, and the only answer I could find is to put "CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=Y" somewhere and recompile the kernal. Unfortuantely, I have no idea how to do this. Any suggestions?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teapot posted:

OpenOffice loading time mostly depends on your hard drive. Prefetching it (available in Ubuntu but usually not configured to prefetch monstrously large things) helps, and for boxes with a lot of RAM and very slow drives (such as my laptop) I wrote a really stupid program that loads and locks all libraries it sees loaded at some point when the user runs data collection script. Whatever program was running at that point, loads nearly instantly, at the price of massive grinding on boot-up when preloading is taking place. I haven't experimented with OpenOffice "pre-locking" yet, however startup-slowpokes such as Firefox and Thunderbird now load within 5 seconds on first startup.

Interestingly, everything seems to start much faster on Ubuntu than XP, for me. Probably because Trend Micro's PC-cillin is a horrible, horrible resource hog.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to schedule my computer to record an internet radio show at a given time when I am not at home to manually hit the record button?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

68k posted:

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to schedule my computer to record an internet radio show at a given time when I am not at home to manually hit the record button?

"cron". One of the cornerstones of Linux. Google for a howto.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

dorkface posted:

Ok, I'm trying to get my usb to serial converter to work with minicom (cables unlimited), and after many days of troubleshooting, I think I may have found the problem. After checking dmesg and lsusb, the operating system seems to notice it, however, when I look into the /dev directory, there isn't a ttyUSB*, which minicom needs in order to use the converter.

The cable packaging says that it supports linux 2.4, but I don't know if they've given up on supporting it or not.

Also, I've looked on google, and the only answer I could find is to put "CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=Y" somewhere and recompile the kernal. Unfortuantely, I have no idea how to do this. Any suggestions?

What distro are you using?

Can you check lsmod and see if the kernel is loading the ftdi module?

edit:
If the kernel is loading the driver and not just detecting a USB device plug/unplug event, you may have to create the /dev/ttyUSB0 device yourself. Google tells me the command is 'mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0'

my module loading:
code:
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
ftdi_sio.c: v1.4.3:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

yippee cahier fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 12, 2007

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

hooah posted:

So, sort of the same?

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this; I've been using Finale a lot, and it doesn't quite behave nicely in Ubuntu.
Not at all the same actually. This means that nautilus isn't running on your system. Was this typed while in a Gnome-session? If so, you have a problem with nautilus either crashing (unlikely) or exiting with an error (likely). teapot or someone more knowledgeable might be more helpful than me, but I'd start with checking something like /etc/var/log. An example command you could try with is;
cat /etc/var/log | grep nautilus

(Edit: Just tried this on my server though and it seem ubuntu doesn't use /etc/var/log. Google doesn't seem too helpful on this one but you may try something like:
ls /var/log | grep nautilus)

Paste the results here and I (or someone else) might be able to help you further.

Good luck!

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 12, 2007

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

sund posted:

What distro are you using?

Can you check lsmod and see if the kernel is loading the ftdi module?

edit:
If the kernel is loading the driver and not just detecting a USB device plug/unplug event, you may have to create the /dev/ttyUSB0 device yourself. Google tells me the command is 'mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0'

my module loading:
code:
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
ftdi_sio.c: v1.4.3:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

Hmmm, I checked lsmod, and the ftdi module is nowhere to be seen. I've tried reloading the drivers, but it gives some really long goofy error messages when I "make" them.

Just in case, I did the mknod command, and it did create the ttyUSB0, but minicom still says "minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0: No such device"

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

teapot posted:

What are the chances that it doesn't use the same backend when dealing with Microsoft formats? It's not like anyone can ask Microsoft for a Word file parser that will be used for a free online service.
I'm not saying it's the best solution, but in a pinch it should work. A document with simple formatting should work fine.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

You're apparently not using a distro and you're getting long goofy error messages. How can I help you with this, seriously?

Can you 'modprobe ftdi_sio' and tell me if dmesg picks that up?

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

sund posted:

You're apparently not using a distro and you're getting long goofy error messages. How can I help you with this, seriously?

Can you 'modprobe ftdi_sio' and tell me if dmesg picks that up?

poo poo, I forgot about the other stuff.

I'm using kubuntu 7.10. I've already did modprobe ftdi_sio some time ago, so I won't be able to tell you what it says.

I haven't been able to reload that module since I'm getting the aforementioned errors. I'd post what it says, but I don't want to take up a page just for that.

Here is what dmesg says when I unplug and plug it in back again:

code:
[  302.072000] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 4
[  306.196000] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
[  306.388000] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
and for good measure, what lsusb says:

code:
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd 8-bit FIFO
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

dorkface fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 12, 2007

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

teapot posted:

I think they used openoffice for the backend of the word processor portion. In the past (and perhaps, present), the pdfs outputted had openoffice identifiers in them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I want to debug some random project at source code level, I set CC="gcc -g -O", compile everything and hope gdb finds the source files, right?

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
In reference to my post on this page and the previous should I just try and remove all the drives and readd them? or should I be trying something else?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Soggy Chips posted:

In reference to my post on this page and the previous should I just try and remove all the drives and readd them? or should I be trying something else?

I always used mdadm.conf file with uuids of the drives' superblocks, so I don't remember ever seei ng device name inconsistencies. I guess, you can edit mdadm.conf to put uuids in there and then restart everything -- both device numbers and uuids in headers are unique, the names aren't even supposed to be constant.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

I'm playing musical chairs with some hard drives I was looking for a bit of advice. In my desktop computer I have a 500GB drive that I want to remove and add it to the LVM (containing a 750GB drive) on my media computer. I'm pretty sure I can accomplish this from the information I've been able to assemble.

To do this I need to make a copy of the files on the 500GB drive to the 320GB drive I'm removing from the media computer. The 500GB drive currently has about 16GB occupied. From what I understand, dd cannot do this, as the partitions would not fit on the smaller drive. I think I can use cfdisk to set up the / and swap partitions (making sure to make / bootable), then use sudo cp -apx /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 to copy all the files. Power-down, remove sda, swap sdb to sda, then reboot.

What is the flaw in this all-too-easy plan?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to run a few VMs, so I upgraded to 4Gb of RAM. Ubuntu, however, is only showing 3Gb. I'm getting conflicting information from Google: I need to recompile my kernel, its a known bug, it doesn't matter, etc. Can someone tell me what the story is? Will Ubuntu use all 4Gb? Do I need to recompile the kernel?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Kobayashi posted:

I want to run a few VMs, so I upgraded to 4Gb of RAM. Ubuntu, however, is only showing 3Gb. I'm getting conflicting information from Google: I need to recompile my kernel, its a known bug, it doesn't matter, etc. Can someone tell me what the story is? Will Ubuntu use all 4Gb? Do I need to recompile the kernel?

Debian ships separate kernel packages for kernels built with large (4gb+) memory support, maybe ubuntu does the same; the packages are suffixed with -bigmem in debian.

Not all kernels are configured this way because there is a performance hit for the additional indirection.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Kobayashi posted:

Sounds like you're running the 32-bit version. I believe a 32 bit OS (be it Windows or Linux) can only address the first 3GB of RAM.

Grab the 64-bit Ubuntu download and all will be well.

Edit: ^^ I stand corrected

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Since it was one of the last posts of the last page, anyone have any ideas for my problem?