Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
A few years ago I became completely obsessed with the English suites...it was like a disease. Ugh, I love them.

I'm working on book two of WTC now. Then of course I'll have to relearn book one.

Then I'll have to relearn book two again, and so on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Blog Free or Die posted:

Nice selection! Probably my favorite Brahms piano piece, and the G minor English Suite is one of my old standbys. The English Suite Preludes are pretty awesome; it's weird to find such long and complex pieces inside a keyboard suite. The D minor one in particular is ridiculously long; the Preludes are structured almost like mini-concerti.

Haven't seen that Copland before, good luck with that :stare:

Personally, I've been continuing work on some Gershwin songs from this awesome book. They're super fun to play and sound awesome, as Hamelin demonstrates.

Haha, only doing the Passacaglia cus his Piano Variations are too hard for me right now. I love his early stuff, hell early 20th century stuff in general especially Bartok.

Love love love Gershwin's piano music, even Rhapsody in Blue though it's overplayed. It always sounds way easier to play than it actually is which is in complete contrast to most piano pieces. I've been wanting to learn Rialto Ripples for a bit, it's a fun little ragtime piece that's not Joplin so most people haven't heard it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Skuto posted:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2167459/Comparison_of_Portable_Digital.html#Post2167459

tl;dr Kawai ES100 is considered best in this range but try things and see what feels best for you.

Note that a real piano doesn't even have to be turned on, cutting one step from your practice routine :)

Awesome. Amazon has this for $800 but it looks like it doesn't include stands (for the keyboard and for the music sheets) and chair. That was just a quick search but I'll look more into what it'll all cost all said and done.

Unfortunately gonna have to wait a couple months cause surgery and HDHPs are a bitch.

e: I was worried there was gonna be a lot of complaining and choices but this made it super easy.

e2: A real piano would be nice but I don't plan on living here in this city/state for any longer than I have to do I'd rather not deal with it if a keyboard is fine. Plus I feel like I should actually, you know, learn to play one first :)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 21, 2014

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Haam posted:

I've been wanting to learn Rialto Ripples for a bit, it's a fun little ragtime piece that's not Joplin so most people haven't heard it.

Haha, weird story! I've been looking for that piece for a while; I've heard some coworkers play it and always meant to ask what it was, but forgot every time. Now I can sleep at night, knowing what it is and that it's on IMSLP.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I've always wanted to play piano and I've been lurking this thread for a couple years now. I finally picked up a Casio PX150 and started on the Alfred books last week. I know I should be seeking out lessons, but I feel content to just work from the book for awhile.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

u should really get a teacher so you dont pick up bad habits. Teachers help way more than you think, too.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Hey there. I'm primarily a drummer, but I was wondering how other people organize their practice time, and maybe see what transfers to drums since my practice right now is pretty disorganized. It seems like a lot of you do classical, and I'd like to hear that perspective, but also a jazz and pop perspective too, if possible. Thanks!
[/quote]

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Ok I do two practice sessions at 40 - 60mins each.

Morning - I go straight into what I'm learning and don't even warm up. This is really slow boring fingering that sounds really bad. I go from hardest to easiest.

Evening - practicing my rep. Nothing new, just polishing and practicing what I want to be able to play at any time.

This is really simple but really helps me stay on target and the second bit is good fun.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

Hey there. I'm primarily a drummer, but I was wondering how other people organize their practice time, and maybe see what transfers to drums since my practice right now is pretty disorganized. It seems like a lot of you do classical, and I'd like to hear that perspective, but also a jazz and pop perspective too, if possible. Thanks!
[/quote]

I sit down and play until I get tired of the sound I make. Sometimes that's 10 minutes sometimes it's 4-5 hours.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I have a really specific request. I have been listening to Schumann's Kreisleriana, based on the character from ETA Hoffmann's The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr. It's become a bit of an obsession and I look forward to reading the book when I get a chance (sadly I think I am years from being able to consider playing it.) I really like the idea of pieces based on literary stuff because they combine two of my favorite things. Are there any other good examples of solo piano pieces that interpret literary works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYDHDKS9deg

baw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 27, 2014

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

baw posted:

Are there any other good examples of solo piano pieces that interpret literary works?

Possibly my favorite lieder by Schubert is the Erlkonig. The song is set to a poem by Goethe, and there's solo piano transcriptions available on imslp, like this one by Liszt. That's the first piece that springs to my mind, but Schubert Lieder in general are probably a pretty good source in general.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

baw posted:

I have a really specific request. I have been listening to Schumann's Kreisleriana, based on the character from ETA Hoffmann's The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr. It's become a bit of an obsession and I look forward to reading the book when I get a chance (sadly I think I am years from being able to consider playing it.) I really like the idea of pieces based on literary stuff because they combine two of my favorite things. Are there any other good examples of solo piano pieces that interpret literary works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYDHDKS9deg

Romanticism, and Liszt in particular, is your friend. Check out the first and second books of his Years of Pilgrimage (Annees de Pelerinage), Switzerland and Italy. A number of pieces are based on Renaissance poetry, 19th-century philosophy, Dante, William Tell, etc. It's pretty amazing music. Here are two selections from the Italy book ("Petrarch's Sonnet #104" and "After Reading Dante") that I learned a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YINPs_bPXCo

You won't find too many literary correlations in Chopin, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, and others, so keep listening to Schumann and Liszt.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I'd look at poetic music too if I were you, like Chopin's ballades. There's a lot more of them and some are just set like a specific style of poem while others are based on actual poems.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

baw posted:

Are there any other good examples of solo piano pieces that interpret literary works?

I'm a big fan of Philip Glass' Metamorphosis cycle which is based on Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis, which I also love. I think it really captures the feel of the novella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8og3NrRLc

Plus the first one is nice and easy, and the hard parts of the later pieces are really good technical exercises. :)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Awesome recommendations all around. The Liszt (:stare:), Schubert and Chopin are gonna be for listening pleasure only (for a few years anyway) but since I can play Truman Sleeps I guess I can give the Metamorphisis a go (and a re-read):cool:

baw fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 6, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I recently bought an Akai MPK Mini Mk2 specifically so I could make basic riffs for electronic music. Wound up playing Ode to Joy, Brahms - Lullaby, the happy birthday song, twinkle twinkle little star then figured out how to mimick "the final countdown" by ear. After that, I realized "holy poo poo, I actually sorta know how to play piano from those few lessons I took when I was 7."

It really is like riding a bike after a 15 year break. You feel rusty and wobble a little for the first 5 seconds, then straighten out as it all comes back. All the songs I learned all those years ago literally took me 3 tries to remember, before I was playing again. Now I realize how much of a little shitstain my pre-teen self was and that I should have gone further. I blame my mother and my (probably dead) teacher for not having a strong enough backhand.

Getting back into the piano flow has definitely sharpened my skill with my DJ equipment and drum machine. I can't wait to practice more in my free time, to see where it takes my digital music production and mixing habits.

As for the MPK Mini Mk2 it's worth the $100 IMO and just that. The keys feel like cheap plastic, at first and you literally need to break it in. Not like breaking in an actual piano. You're literally bending plastic. I feel like since it's the first keyboard I've touched in 15 years, the feel doesn't make a difference. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone used to a piano that's worth a poo poo but if you live in a small area and want something quick/easy to gently caress around with, go for it. From what I hear the Mk1 had a mini USB port that broke all the time. The Mk2 uses a normal USB.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I recently started getting complaints from my neighbours about my upright making too much noise. For now I can rent a practice room with a grand for like $5 an hour, but in the long run I need to get a digital. I've been looking at the Kawai CL-36, since it's fairly cheap and actually feels/sounds pretty good, but I'm a bit worried, since I've read a couple places online that it breaks pretty easily. Does anyone here have any experience with this model? Is there any other model in the $1000-1200 range you'd recommend in stead (preferably with a full cabinet and with pedals.)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

it's a little more expensive, but I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha Arius. In addition to playing and sounding great, it also looks nice in a living room.

edit:

mine is a ydp-162

baw fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 27, 2014

baw
Nov 5, 2008

double post but we just bought a painting today:

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Very nice! I think it is a bit crooked, though.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Ha ya it's either the painting or the picture. I'll get out the level tomorrow and see.

What's everyone working on? I've learned a few progressions that I like and have been having fun with them while learning the pieces that my tutor assigned me. I finished two of the songs and got halfway through the third (Michael Nymann's "The Heart Asks Pleasure First.") I have a lesson tomorrow and hopefully she'll assign some new stuff.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
My first piece of the semester is Palmgren's May-Night. If you haven't heard it, find a recording, it's pretty cool.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Hey guys, beginner ivory stroker here. Finally actually started plugging away with keys and actually familiarizing myself with them a couple weeks ago and really enjoying it so far. Been doing the standard beginner with no teacher regimen working through scales and chords etc for a set period of time each day, but I've been spending the majority of my play time jamming with a friend who's on the guitar and vocals. Doing mostly covers/adaptations of things and we both have a couple original things going as well.

I guess I'm kind of looking for advice wrt playing as accompaniment or whatever with songs that for the most part end up with some sort of rock/bluesey theme. Working on nin - hurt, the man who sold the world, and lou reed's perfect day at the moment, and mostly just figuring out what chords i need as we go by ear, which is turns out sounding pretty nice with a string or organ sounding patch on my digital, I'm trying to get a little better at 'filling in' the moments between chord changes etc.

Pretty vague question I suppose, and I know that this stuff will come over time as I'm starting to pepper in weak little arpeggios and broken chords in to things. But I guess what I'm looking for is 'improvisation tips for a rookie'. I'm ok with the basics of theory, I played guitar/dink around with bleep bloop music etc and have been surprisingly pretty good at identifying what notes/chord variations I need to at least sound ok against what the guitar's doing.

I am also doing your standard beginner drills on my upright, scales, arpeggios, inversions, and that I-IV-V exercise people were discussion earlier in the thread. Also just got a pile of my old rear end books from when i was very young and in lessons that I'm going to start ripping through, but since we've been jamming for 3-4 hours pretty close to every day, is there anything I can keep in mind that could help me out in the mean time while I keep strengthening my fundamentals?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 7, 2014

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Pretty vague question I suppose, and I know that this stuff will come over time as I'm starting to pepper in weak little arpeggios and broken chords in to things. But I guess what I'm looking for is 'improvisation tips for a rookie'. I'm ok with the basics of theory, I played guitar/dink around with bleep bloop music etc and have been surprisingly pretty good at identifying what notes/chord variations I need to at least sound ok against what the guitar's doing.

I saw a video where Chick Corea fielded this question and he said to play around and get comfortable with weird and different phrases so that you can pull them out at a moments notice to improvise. It's like adding tricks to a bag of tricks, and you can go in and pluck them out when you want.

What I found really helpful was finding licks I would hear other people play, learning them by ear, and then practicing them in different keys, breaking them down into different styles, and just messing around with them as much as possible. Now I have a pretty large "bag" of phrases and licks I can pull from when I improvise so that I'm not just caught up in the same motifs over and over when I go off in my own direction.

I don't know how other people do it though, so there's probably a better technique.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Cool, yeah thats about what my approach has been so far, been finding myself reusing licks that i picked up in another song and finding where it works to whatever we are playing, and we generally have been working out our covers in different keys and changing the gently caress out of the style, which is awesome because it's like babbys first "make it your own" without needing to craft from scratch.

Im sure I'll develop some bad habits but hey, it's just too fun to spend as much time as possible rockin the gently caress out with other instruments.

Thanks for the perspective though, definitely going to keep it all in mind.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Have digital pianos been getting more expensive lately? The last time I bought one, it cost me about $900. That same model seems to be going for $1100 now. :(

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Hawkgirl posted:

Have digital pianos been getting more expensive lately? The last time I bought one, it cost me about $900. That same model seems to be going for $1100 now. :(

Yes. I saw a 15% price increase on some models compared to say 6 months ago.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

To the guy looking for more licks and fills, try searching for blues & improv type youtube tutorials. Normally I'd recommend being healthily wary of random guy on youtube but for this there are a lot of things you can pick up and work into your own bag of tricks.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Check out these two videos that explain the basics behind open harmony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2CA0w85Hfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q-jJd8CpHo

Seems obvious but for a new player it will help you keep your chord quality on the up and up.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is there any software package out there better than Synthesia for learning keyboard? I'm considering picking up a keyboard so I can get a better understanding of music theory, but I'd like to see if I'm even capable of playing it at first.

If there's anyone with an essential tremor, can you share how it's affected your ability to play? I was hoping piano would be easier for me as the keys are in defined locations versus violin which I really struggled with as a kid.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
No, there's nothing better than Synthesia and that is terrible, forget about software. When you say capable of playing, what do you mean exactly? I'm unclear on what problem you think it would solve. If your interest is theory why wouldn't you want to read sheet music? It's way easier on the piano than on a stringed instrument.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Long story short I have some cognitive issues from a brain injury that's going to make reading music harder than it should be. A method that is more visual would be easier for me to start with.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I'm unsure how more visual you can get than sheet music.

I don't know what injury you have and how that affects learning to read sheet music but its a bitch for (almost) everybody. You might benefit from a teacher who can work with you and adapt their style based on what works and what doesn't?

If you just care about sheet music and theory and want to use the piano to aid that, but otherwise don't give a gently caress about playing the piano well I'd just google stuff and try everything.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RobattoJesus posted:

I'm a big fan of Philip Glass' Metamorphosis cycle which is based on Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis, which I also love. I think it really captures the feel of the novella.

Plus the first one is nice and easy, and the hard parts of the later pieces are really good technical exercises. :)

My tutor assigned me this one :cool:

I learned part one in about 20 minutes. Not a huge deal because it's pretty simple but it still felt like an accomplishment since I couldn't read music at all a year and a half ago.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I've been playing piano for many years now but I've just started getting into composition with piano covers of video game/pop songs. One thing I'm having trouble with is how to fill in an otherwise sparse space, which is common in the kind of repetitive music that is common to video game and pop music. Does anyone have any techniques to share on this kind of "filler" embellishment? No arpeggios or broken chords please.

One composer I've been trying to draw ideas from his Nobuo Uematsu, who composed the music Final Fantasy, and did a series of "Piano Collections" albums for I think each of the games where he translated songs into piano pieces. Everyone should check them out if you haven't already. Just search Final Fantasy Piano Collections on YouTube.

Final Fantasy 7 Battle Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnCqcfu28H0

e: and on a related note, anyone have recommendations for good (free) scoring software?

RobattoJesus posted:

Hmm...where have I heard this song before?

Subyng fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 24, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I guess traditionally youre looking at trills and turns etc maybe variations and memories of the main melody? Snippets of vocals (as in play the vocal notes not sing along).

You could also try just cutting chunks out. if its just something looped a few times to fill time I a video game theme rip it out if you dont like it.

If you really want to mix it up you could even try adding something like a counterpoint through these parts. Maybe write a counter point to the main melody but play it there? No idea wtf that would sound like though.

Then again im a lovely composer.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 24, 2014

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Subyng posted:

Hmm...where have I heard this song before?

A lot of Philip Glass' stuff sounds similar and he's scored a lot of films (The Truman Show, The Hours etc.). Plus he's used almost as much as Arvo Part in films and documentaries when they need "slightly unsettling unobtrusive background music."

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Liszt's Piano Sonata in B minor, probably my favorite piano piece of all time. Love playing this masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BZBKjr__8Y

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Back in the keyboard market, having last time I visited this thread bought a CS2X a couple years back that I never ended up using much because I was playing a lot of concertina. Now I'm working in Latin America and traveling a lot and don't want to haul the pricey concertina everywhere. Looking for a keyboard that's compact, like in the 2ft range or so, durable, MIDI-based, and ideally one I can play through an iPhone with earphones so near-silent.

My intent isn't exactly "playing piano", but nor is it exactly synth-like "laying down tracks". I broadly want to know how to "play piano" in terms of being able to form chords, transpose keys, do some basic vamping, but I have no priority like "play XYZ Chopin pieces". I don't have a specific desire to play piano, so much as want to have basic piano literacy for my general music development, and also am considering getting a clavichord down the road (many of which only have 3-4 octaves anyway). I understand opinions are mixed on piano-learning apps, but if I focus on ones that are more theory and ear-training quizzes, would that be a lower margin? My understanding is some of the iPad-centric keyboards go with apps intended for exercises of only 2 octaves or so.

I don't have immediate plans to compose/lay tracks on it, but I assume all the MIDI ones can do that. As a general rule, can I also change to Meantone and other cool temperaments with any MIDI device?

I know a 25-key is near-worthless for "playing piano", but might it suffice for my purposes? Just learning the layout, challenging myself with some theory, and then just having fun playing some basic stuff and improvising. I'm not so concerned about key action, since piano, organ, clavichord, etc. all have different feels anyway.

I think I have tentatively narrowed my search down to the following:

25-key: QuNexus, CME Xkey, Korg Nanokey 2
37-key (or thereabouts): Korg Microkey, M-Audio Mini-34, iRig
49 key??? (if it's heavily recommended, and I can stretch to 3ft or so)

QuNexus seems the coolest of the lot, and was apparently a real popular Kickstarter. It appears to have one of the least-piano-esque feels, but has really cool capabilities like reading the movement of the finger after it strikes the key, so you can bend the note, distort, stuff like that.

I don't know if my requirements are just too vague or too weird, but I do want something I can at least [i]sort
of play like a piano while doing other cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Where's a good place to start with Brahms? I want to get into some of his music.

As far as level of skill goes, I'm learning/polishing up Beethoven's opus 111 sonata.