Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ITS WEEKEND DAD posted:

Tremors 4 has the exact same plot as the third one: the monsters have evolved yet again...

This is incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ITS WEEKEND DAD
Oct 28, 2009

I got a head full of ideas
That are drivin me insane

Ornamented Death posted:

This is incorrect.

Ok, if we need to get specific, here's how it goes: Half the movie is spent fighting a pack of monsters that look like someone put a black slug and a box of shingles into that teleporter from the Fly. Then the one surviving shingle-slug undergoes a metamorphosis that somehow turns it into one of the worms from the first movie. So it isn't technically an evolution. I don't understand why that matters much seeing as the film is about the loving dad from Family Ties dressed as a cowboy fighting worms.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Feast 2 and Feast 3 basically take the little gross-out Comedy bits from the first and up them by 100000x. I enjoyed both but I can see why some people would be turned off by them.

And the final scene in the third is just completely loving out of nowhere, I loved it.

Rad Chad
Apr 9, 2010

ITS WEEKEND DAD posted:

Ok, if we need to get specific, here's how it goes: Half the movie is spent fighting a pack of monsters that look like someone put a black slug and a box of shingles into that teleporter from the Fly. Then the one surviving shingle-slug undergoes a metamorphosis that somehow turns it into one of the worms from the first movie. So it isn't technically an evolution. I don't understand why that matters much seeing as the film is about the loving dad from Family Ties dressed as a cowboy fighting worms.

Well those are just baby graboids, they're cute and football shaped before they grow up, it's really just to finish up the life cycle established in the third movie where they find an egg. By the time they manage to hire a gunslinger they've fully grown. I think like 3 or four of them survive to adulthood.

edit:

ITS WEEKEND DAD posted:

Tremors 4 has the exact same plot as the third one: the monsters have evolved yet again and this time, they change into something even lamer than an eyeless turkey that flies by shooting fire out of its rear end in a top hat. Also, Tremors 4 takes place in the wild west for some reason. And the movie ends with the survivors settling the area where the original Tremors takes place, so why the hell didn't anybody ever write down "look out for the giant subterranean worms that killed 20 people"? It would have saved Kevin Bacon some trouble.

So to answer your question, yes it is worse than 3.

They found the graboids in the silver mine and all the dead miners were hurting their economy. Once they killed all of them they vowed to never speak of them again because nobody would ever want to live there and their economy would suffer from lack of demand. They even change the name of the town from Rejection to Perfection to attract more tourists, it was all to save the town they loved, not the people who lived there.

Rad Chad fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 2, 2010

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
The first Feast movie was pretty fun if cheesy flick. They were aware of all the hollywood horror taboos and insist on violating. Didn't bother with the second and third ones, I have this feeling that they just won't hold up as well.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Feast was a pretty great "horror movie for horror movie people" where they attempted to do everything over the top and go against horror movie conventions. There's a ton of laugh-out-loud moments and a ton of holy-poo poo-that's-a-lot-of-blood moments. The introductions of all the different characters is a fantastic way to start the movie too.

I should probably at least attempt to watch Feast 2/3 sometime since the first was pretty drat good. I've heard pretty mixed things about them.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
If you go into Feast 2 and 3 expecting them to be like the first, you're going to be disappointed. Feast was a horror movie with ample comedic elements, but Feast 2 and 3 are just over-the-top gross-out comedies with monsters, who are no longer even remotely scary. I enjoyed watching them, but the original is a far superior movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So WyrdStuff sent advance copies of Splat Pack to the filmmakers it's about, and apparently everyone liked it. In fact, the review on horror dot com

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
The trailer for Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark looks pretty creepy.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2497906201/

Also, gots my Frightfest tickets booked :) So happy!

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 6, 2010

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
New trailer for I Spit On Your Grave.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
It looks just like the Last House on the Left remake but maybe they'll put out a red band trailer that will be interesting :goleft:

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Apologies if this was already posted, but someone linked me to a bit more news about "Let Me In." After reading the interview, I am still on the fence about whether or not to go see the remake. The original was fantastic and some of the things the director comments on just confuses me. Maybe I am a moron, but I have trouble seeing how you could make the pool scene any more about Oskar/Owen's point of view. The whole scene in the original already focused on him rather than the action up top, what more can he do? Is the whole scene just going to be shaky handycam footage of the pool bottom? I will try to reserve judgement, but he is not making it easy.

http://io9.com/5605830/let-me-in-director-reveals-what-he-kept-and-what-he-cut-from-the-vampire-classic

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
So I'm watching Noriko's Dinner Table right now, thought the box covered looked pretty interesting

Its pretty boring right now, its taking its sweet time setting up the background of the main character and I'm getting a Suicide Club vibe from it (terrible terrible movie). Maybe I'm just more used to western horror where they give a quick background and get straight into the story, sparing the viewer its unsubtle way of showing the difference between older generations and all that other crap.

Its not that J-horror is bad (I tend to love it usually) but they tend to overdo it with trying to make it seem deep and philosophical with social commentary about whatever.

edit: No wonder, I'm getting suicide club vibe, this is suppose to be the follow up movie to it. Goddamn it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Technetium posted:

Drag Me To Hell was the best horror-comedy film of practically the past decade as well. I guess that one guy is mad because Raimi returned to his roots and didn't know that before buying it but I knew it was Raimi's return to his roots and it was amazing. Some of the most fun I've had in the theatre especially with everyone groaning and laughing and being quiet at the right parts.

Raimi took a frightening, original premise and decided to stay in his comfort zone with it (oh sorry, "return to his roots") which resulted in a gross-out horror/comedy which might as well have been a clip-show of the gross bits from the Scary Movie franchise for all I was concerned. Don't get me wrong, Evil Dead II has been tied with Jaws as my favourite movie since I was 17 but let's face facts - Peter Jackson skull-fucks the poo poo out of Raimi when it comes to horror/comedy & actually going on and having an interesting, evolving career after-wards.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

It looks just like the Last House on the Left remake but maybe they'll put out a red band trailer that will be interesting :goleft:

Speaking of that, I just watched it, and didn't like only one thing: The final microwave scene right before the credits. What the gently caress was the point? The film was perfectly complete without it, and I feel that its addition was completely ridiculous and out of place. It took the movie from a fairly decent thriller to a silly Hostel wannabe. Was it a tribute to the original or something?

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 10, 2010

ITS WEEKEND DAD
Oct 28, 2009

I got a head full of ideas
That are drivin me insane
That scene was filmed solely for the trailer and was totally retarded and unnecessary.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Frightfest in 2 weeks, so looking forwards to it. Gotta find cheaper places to stay for next year, Travelodge is costing alot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BisonDollah posted:

Raimi took a frightening, original premise and decided to stay in his comfort zone with it (oh sorry, "return to his roots") which resulted in a gross-out horror/comedy which might as well have been a clip-show of the gross bits from the Scary Movie franchise for all I was concerned. Don't get me wrong, Evil Dead II has been tied with Jaws as my favourite movie since I was 17 but let's face facts - Peter Jackson skull-fucks the poo poo out of Raimi when it comes to horror/comedy & actually going on and having an interesting, evolving career after-wards.

What facts? King Kong was horribly uneven, The Lovely Bones was lackluster, the LOTR movies were pretty good, but flawed adaptations (just like Raimi's first two Spider-man movies), the Frighteners was pretty good, and Heavenly Creatures was slightly better. His filmography isn't better than Raimi's, really, Raimi has underrated but good films like For the Love of the Game that equal out with stuff like Heavenly Creatures, fun, cult type stuff like Quick and the Dead, and critically and commercially successful films like the Spider-man movies. He just doesn't have an "A for effort" Oscar like Peter jackson.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Also Raimi directed The Gift and Darkman.

I would say Raimi has more good movies under his belt at this stage, and Drag Me to Hell was fantastic.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
And A Simple Plan is one of the finest movies ever made.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Splat Pack, the Wyrdstuff doc, comes out next Friday. Woot.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Darko posted:

What facts? King Kong was horribly uneven, The Lovely Bones was lackluster, the LOTR movies were pretty good, but flawed adaptations (just like Raimi's first two Spider-man movies), the Frighteners was pretty good, and Heavenly Creatures was slightly better. His filmography isn't better than Raimi's, really, Raimi has underrated but good films like For the Love of the Game that equal out with stuff like Heavenly Creatures, fun, cult type stuff like Quick and the Dead, and critically and commercially successful films like the Spider-man movies. He just doesn't have an "A for effort" Oscar like Peter jackson.

Christ, Heavenly Creatures was one of only two times in my life that a film has made me literally sick to my stomach. The screams were just horrifying.

The other was Europa Europa, and I imagine any guy who's seen it will know which part.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, is anyone else ridiculously excited about Piranha 3D coming out next week? I was looking forward to it, but then I watch the 9min of leaked footage and now I can't loving wait! Plus, a cute young lady will be going with me and she's equally excited, so there's basically no way it'll be a bad time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I rewatched the original Piranha and forgot the original comparable scene was just as gory for its time, including bare tits being bitten and bloodied. So this is actually closer to the original than i remembered.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Horror fans shouldn't forget that today is not only FRIDAY THE 13TH, but it's also Alfred Hitchcock's birthday. Be sure to spend tonight watching some mayhem at Cystal Lake and then follow it up with some Hitchcock.

This brings me to my Hitchcock question of the day -- was there ever a more convoluted and complicated murder plot in the movies than the one in Vertigo? Maybe DePalma's Body Double?

Oh and if anybody needs a rough guide to F13 tonight, here's Infinite Zero's Handy Two Word Guide To The F13 Series:

F13 - Here's mama!
F13 Part II - Sack mask!
F13 Part III - 3D spear!
F13 Part IV - Glover dances!
F13 Part V - Wow, boobs.
F13 Part VI - Hey Horshack!
F13 Part VII - Magic Girl?
F13 Part VIII - False Advertising.
F13 Part IX - Wait what?
F13 Jason X - SPACE JASON!
F13 FvJ - Freddy fight!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I would call 5, "Roy."

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

InfiniteZero posted:

Horror fans shouldn't forget that today is not only FRIDAY THE 13TH, but it's also Alfred Hitchcock's birthday. Be sure to spend tonight watching some mayhem at Cystal Lake and then follow it up with some Hitchcock.

I already planned on a marathon of F13 tonight, and I'm even wearing this shirt today to commemorate the date:

Click here for the full 621x480 image.

Best day of the year.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Darko posted:

I would call 5, "Roy."

My alternate would be :swoon: DEBI SUE :swoon: .

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Drag Me to Hell seems to be the most polarizing movie I've ever experienced. (and i haven't seen it yet!) There seems to be a strong group of people that think its brilliant and an even more vehement crowd that think its terrible

The premise is like a less clever Thinner so i don't even know what to expect

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't think it's the bees knees or anything, but it's much better than Thinner.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Except no Kari Wuhrer pulling up her dress.

That is one negative towards Drag Me to Hell.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
No but Alison Lohman makes a great female Bruce Campbell.

Anyway, the last exorcism got in on the Chat Roulette thing. It's pretty funny stuff.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/24886/1/THE-LAST-EXORCISM-POSSESSES-CHAT-ROULETTE-/Page1.html

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

DrVenkman posted:

Anyway, the last exorcism got in on the Chat Roulette thing. It's pretty funny stuff.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/24886/1/THE-LAST-EXORCISM-POSSESSES-CHAT-ROULETTE-/Page1.html
That is really, really awesome.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

DrVenkman posted:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/2...TTE-/Page1.html

Viral marketing is really hit or miss for me. This is a tremendous and awesome hit.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Woo hoo, Frightfest this day next week.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Was there a Drag Me to Hell thread? I watched it this morning and gladly realized the movie doesn't take itself too seriously. What with Lohman having random poo poo forced into her mouth throughout the whole movie. Something does freak me out about goat demons though. Also, kind of a sad ending.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

SyRauk posted:

Was there a Drag Me to Hell thread? I watched it this morning and gladly realized the movie doesn't take itself too seriously. What with Lohman having random poo poo forced into her mouth throughout the whole movie. Something does freak me out about goat demons though. Also, kind of a sad ending.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3067542

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I saw the I Spit On Your Grave remake tonight at Toronto After Dark, and I've gotta say that I was quite pleased. I haven't seen the original, but I plan to do that asap.

Audience response was overall positive, though someone passed out about part way through. Someone called out "Is anyone a doctor?" in the dark during the start of a torture sequence and I thought it was a joke until the question was repeated. I hope whoever was having problems is okay. They were in the balcony where the A/C isn't as effective, so that might have had an effect.

Anyways, I thought the first half was appropriately difficult to watch, and the second half satiated my bloodlust completely. According to Steven Monroe, who stayed for a Q&A afterwards, it was the MPAA who suggested that the film be released unrated -- otherwise they said it would be robbed of its effectiveness. Gotta hand it to them in this situation -- it was the right choice.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

There was a guy in my theater who passed out during the ball cutting scene in Hard Candy. I think some people really don't take that sort of thing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

Slasherfan posted:

Woo hoo, Frightfest this day next week.

So, is there any goonmeet-like thing being organized for this somewhere? I've got tickets for 8 movies/events, this is going to be my first Frightfest! I hope it's not going to be too goony though :ohdear: