Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dschingis Khan posted:

1988 Merkur XR4Ti, live in Northeast Ohio.

102,000 Miles, no mods cosmetically apart from the RS500 spoiler and Cosworth grille, and Contour Sport wheels.

3" exhaust, not many other gofast goodies, it was basically kept stock to be a reliable Merk.

I know who you bought that from (Mark)! We stayed with him when I went with some friends to an "All-Ford" event in Ohio where a bunch of Merkurs meet.

I thought I knew, then I saw the badge and the rear wing and knew! I remember the previous owner whipping some mid 80's Z28 on the highway that was messing with a big long line of Merkurs on the way back from the show. After pulling away from it, he slowed down and let the Z28 catch up. He rolled down his window;

Previous Owner:v:: Four! (hold up four fingers)
Redneck in Z28 :confused:: Huh?
:v: You just got beat by four cylinders! Hahaha.
:confused:: (redneck's girlfriend laughs at redneck)

Anywho, he showed up at the hotel we were staying at for the night. We "forgot" the drinking age in the US was 21 at the time ( Ontario :canada: is 19).

Autocrossed it too. Same day the Durocco was there.

(Durocco - cause it's awesome)

Also, group shot (not in it cause I was most likely ill from Wild Turkey). Previous owner is second from the right - balding ginger balls guy.

Just thought it was weird seeing the same car turn up here after (Date/Time: 2004:09:04 19:13:21) so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Track day! One of my many vacuum lines broke during the second to last session which caused some boost control issues. But hey; getting 3/4th way through a track day with an FD is a good track day.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

944 posted:

Edit: You have to tube frame the front end of a 944 to fit a 928 motor in it, BTW. It's a wide bitch. And at that point, why wouldn't you just do this if you want to be all pure:

Actually, when you get to that point, why don't you just go all out:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I HATE CARS posted:

Actually, when you get to that point, why don't you just go all out:

[timg]https://wi.somethingawful.com/8c/8ccc7ac84052636ee86435dc06adc6bd4122b0da.jpg[timg]

[timg]https://wi.somethingawful.com/b6/b6521f60e56d2eb7fe9d51cb9a3c31c4c232e597.jpg[timg]

[timg]https://wi.somethingawful.com/55/55a67bc5db56f4d1ddd95bac66a593186749c3ca.jpg[timg]

He's still using a 928 motor :smug:

Lord_Kev
Oct 30, 2006
You can add an imaginary dent to the back of mine, some clown hit it, cracked the light, creased the rear corner and ruined the perfect paint. They then drove off and no-one saw anything.

Oh, and I can't afford to fix it.

I'm gutted, I have the car about a month and it gets damaged

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
The daily beater(click for big)

EVERYTHING started breaking on it about a year ago. 2 window regulators, fuel gauge sender, 4 blown shocks, EGR, IAT sensor, rear door panel just randomly popped off. As soon as I get a new job(which I hope is soon), I'm gonna fix all the poo poo on this, buy something less boring to drive(like 99% of cars on the road), and give this to my girlfriend.

The track beater

Mostly stock. I will NEVER sell this car

The torture rack/basket case

I would sell this in a hearbeat if it would run right. Sometimes it wont start, sometimes it starts and immediately dies, sometimes it starts and runs for 5 minutes and dies, and sometimes it starts and waits until 30 minutes into a ride to die and refuse to restart. It's real trustworthy.

This is the fun 2 wheeler

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Just bought a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0Si yesterday, and I'm pretty happy about it.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Korwen posted:

He's still using a 928 motor :smug:

Yes I know, that was the point.

VVV Okay, that's really cool. More info?

I HATE CARS fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 12, 2009

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
Haven't been on the forums much lately. Here's a shot of how I spent my summer:

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

parid posted:

Track day! One of my many vacuum lines broke during the second to last session which caused some boost control issues. But hey; getting 3/4th way through a track day with an FD is a good track day.

I admire your taste in wheels. First track day?

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Current state of my ride :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

:smith:

I love Corrados. That is astonishingly hard to look at.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Your avatar basically sums up my face every time I walk out in my driveway and see it.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
what the hell happened to it? sorry for the loss dude :(

Master Spanky
Feb 20, 2008

The Master Hand does not like cute things.

It's not a very high-res pic, since it was taken with my iPhone. It's my DD, and it's stock for now.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

100% mechanically stock 2007 Civic Si. Inside I've added an aftermarket subwoofer, dead pedal cover, and shift boot. 20% tint on rear windows.

Quick wash and wax today. New Goodyear Eagle GT rubber. about 26k on the clock in this picture.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Nice car but I can't believe Honda felt the need to put those stupid stickers on the doors.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
Dare I ask why you only tinted the rear windows too? Looks kind of mismatched to me.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Taz posted:

Dare I ask why you only tinted the rear windows too? Looks kind of mismatched to me.

Some jurisdictions don't allow any tint on the front windows.

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.

Viking Blood posted:

Haven't been on the forums much lately. Here's a shot of how I spent my summer:

Love that Datsun!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

orange lime posted:

Some jurisdictions don't allow any tint on the front windows.

Illinois! :argh: I peeled my fronts off once I finally got pulled over for it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

omgitstheinternet posted:

Your avatar basically sums up my face every time I walk out in my driveway and see it.

I thought you felt bad enough when you banged up the front quarter. Let alone that asspack you got.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
There is legislation in the Illinois congress right now to allow for 35% all around the windows (except windshield). If you have anything less than 35% in the rear, they will allow up to 50% for the front side glass. The bill was basically approved, but Govenor Quinn rejected it because the wording would have made certain SUVs and minivans with OEM tinted glass illegal. He sent it back for them to update the wording, and thats the last I've heard of it.

House Bill 3325 for any Illinois goons that are interested:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3325&GAID=10&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=&SessionID=76&SpecSess=&Session=&GA=96

We'll be getting my wife's windows tinted to 35% once it passes. I doubt I'll do anything with mine, but my next car will get 35% as well.

Kind of stupid law, but the police in my city pull people over for it left and right, and they dont write fix it tickets, either. Its $75 a pop usually.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BabyJesus posted:

There is legislation in the Illinois congress right now to allow for 35% all around the windows (except windshield). If you have anything less than 35% in the rear, they will allow up to 50% for the front side glass. The bill was basically approved, but Govenor Quinn rejected it because the wording would have made certain SUVs and minivans with OEM tinted glass illegal. He sent it back for them to update the wording, and thats the last I've heard of it.

House Bill 3325 for any Illinois goons that are interested:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3325&GAID=10&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=&SessionID=76&SpecSess=&Session=&GA=96

We'll be getting my wife's windows tinted to 35% once it passes. I doubt I'll do anything with mine, but my next car will get 35% as well.

Kind of stupid law, but the police in my city pull people over for it left and right, and they dont write fix it tickets, either. Its $75 a pop usually.

Wait, so you can go as dark as 35% on the fronts, but if your back ones are darker you can only go to 50%? Maybe I'm reading something wrong.

But yeah, I had just bought my car not too long before I got pulled over for it, so I just played dumb. Luckily I got a nice officer and he let me off with a warning.

Edit: Just read through that again - I think I had it backwards.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 14, 2009

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wait, so you can go as dark as 35% on the fronts, but if your back ones are darker you can only go to 50%? Maybe I'm reading something wrong.

But yeah, I had just bought my car not too long before I got pulled over for it, so I just played dumb. Luckily I got a nice officer and he let me off with a warning.

Edit: Just read through that again - I think I had it backwards.

Yes the proposed bill is you can have 35% all around (as long as you have a rearview and both side mirrors). You can still have any % tint you want on the doors "not immediately adjacent to the driver", but if you have anything less than 35% light transfer, the new maximum allowed in the front is 50%.

So: 35% all around, or dark as you want in the back glass/back windows and 50% up front.

Better than nothing I guess, looks like the bill is going to be passed pretty soon.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BabyJesus posted:

Yes the proposed bill is you can have 35% all around (as long as you have a rearview and both side mirrors). You can still have any % tint you want on the doors "not immediately adjacent to the driver", but if you have anything less than 35% light transfer, the new maximum allowed in the front is 50%.

So: 35% all around, or dark as you want in the back glass/back windows and 50% up front.

Better than nothing I guess, looks like the bill is going to be passed pretty soon.

As nice as it would be to get some tint back on my front windows, I can't help but think how dumb it would look to have my dark-as-poo poo back windows and only 50% front windows.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I wish that Arizona would legalize mirrored metallic tint. The inside of my car gets so hot that once I got burned by my key after taking it out of the ignition. 15 minutes of driving was enough to heat it up to like...what? 160 degrees? Silvered windows ought to reject heat like those space blankets do.

Also, I could paint my car with flat gray patchwork and get metallic gold on the windows and it would look like this

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

orange lime posted:

Also, I could paint my car with flat gray patchwork and get metallic gold on the windows and it would look like this

Be very careful when it rains.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
They make normal black ceramic tint that has very good heat rejection.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

Nice car but I can't believe Honda felt the need to put those stupid stickers on the doors.

Like every other generation Civic SI?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

orange lime posted:

The inside of my car gets so hot that once I got burned by my key after taking it out of the ignition. 15 minutes of driving was enough to heat it up to like...what? 160 degrees?

Out of curiosity, what is the car?

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?
There's a thread somewhere about this car and it does need updates but whatever. Here's a photo I took for IPD's photo contest.

Crispulus fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 15, 2009

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Crispulus posted:

Here's a photo I took for IPD's photo contest.

*includes red timestamp in contest photo*

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sockington posted:

How do you know those numbers weren't really laying in the grass? :colbert:

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

_firehawk posted:

Be very careful when it rains.

Yes, be very careful both times it rains next year.

Having lived in AZ for 20+ years, I can tell you that tint can only help so much. If the car sits in the sun, just like everything else, it will get insanely hot. At the race track one sunny day in May, I was using the laser pyrometer to get track and tire temps -- for shits and giggles, I took the surface temp of a black BMW that was on grid, the skin of the car was over 230F/110C. It's loving hot here (track temp was a paltry 140F/60C).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

As nice as it would be to get some tint back on my front windows, I can't help but think how dumb it would look to have my dark-as-poo poo back windows and only 50% front windows.

35% isn't very dark though - the factory fronts on my wagon are about 35%, the rears are much darker:

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Sterndotstern posted:

Yes, be very careful both times it rains next year.

Having lived in AZ for 20+ years...

You are obviously missing the F-22 joke here.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Sockington posted:

Didn't use my camera. I'll just do a little PS magic before the deadline.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ziploc posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the car?

2002 ZX2, in red.

I really want an FB RX-7...there are so many drat rotaries down here (I see like 5 RX-8s a day on my 5 mile bike to the university) but I can't justify buying something like that when the ZX2 was formerly owned by the lead QC inspector for a Ford plant in Ohio and is in absolutely perfect shape. Not until I have a garage, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modena AL
Jul 20, 2002

Gave it a quick bath and took some new pictures after blacking out all the chrome earlier this summer.
2004 Mini Cooper, 76k miles, BC racing coil overs, hotchkis Sway-bars, stoptech brakes, miltek exhaust, 17" OZ ultraleggeras on Bridgestone RE760s, huge rally lights, and other goodies