Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
$1000 seems like a lot if you want to turn a profit on that day. I wonder whether a lot of the photographers do those farmers markets or fairs to try to get commissions or business as photo guides or something.

I don't know about photo cards, but my parents used to sell nature art cards locally. I can't remember the exact profit, but my dad could print 2 smallish cards from 1 8.5x11 piece of card stock. They sold them at several places in town (independent bookstore, craft cooperative, hardware store, plant nursery). If I remember the wholesale price for these places was ~$1-2 per card, and the places charged ~ double that). The businesses would place a new order a few times a year when they started running low.

My dad also got a big printer to do 14x18 prints, but these didn't sell as well, and I think most ended up going to relatives. I think the cards ended up recouping the cost of the printer and a bit extra after a few years. My folks didn't really need the money so this was mainly just a hobby to keep them out of trouble. Also, botanical and insect sketches might be a pretty different market that wildlife photos.

One thing I've been wondering about is small softcover books. Rednecks aside, people might not want to spend that much for a photo for the wall very often. Maybe a little book to flip through though? I printed some photo books as gifts for the first time this year and people were over the moon about them. I think the key would be to find a place that was high enough quality but cheap enough you could actually make a profit on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Earlier in the thread someone posted a bookmark they made from a cropped shot and I've been thinking about doing that too. Get a whole bunch of different bird types together from my existing stuff, crop it to an interesting book mark size and throw on a quick species label on the edge with Photoshop or whatever. Sell them together or individually. Not quite the same as a print but its still your work getting moved.

I believe that was me. I like your idea of putting on a species label or some other text, I might do that if I ever get to the point of actually printing any bird shots as bookmarks (landscape bookmarks are included in what I'm sending for the print exchange, and it's good to be reminded that I have a bunch of bird-bookmarks I just need to print).

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
What about selling/licensing shots to artists/painters? A friend of a friend likes to paint to ward off cabin fever up in the Yukon during the winter and used a shot of a bald eagle I had taken for a painting (for farmer's market type sales)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You'd almost think the best medium would be a coffee table book but it would be too expensive to produce I guess.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

neckbeard posted:

What about selling/licensing shots to artists/painters? A friend of a friend likes to paint to ward off cabin fever up in the Yukon during the winter and used a shot of a bald eagle I had taken for a painting (for farmer's market type sales)

Since no one has answered yet. I am not a lawyer, this is my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt. I am not responsible for any action taken from said advice.

Unless you're going to be selling thousands of copies, all you really need is a form letter; stating you are licensing this image for use, in such and such a format, on such and such a site or, in this case, for your friend's use. Your fee is thus. Once receipt of the payment, the image will be released to [insert other party here].

The other party agrees, payment is rendered, picture is given. Keep copies of all the documents.

It's up to you if you want to make it any more complex. I Usually like to keep a clause in there that I am able to withdraw the license and refund any money, at any time.

If it's your friend though, you can just stick to a verbal agreement. He's the one selling something. Unless you're going to charge him a fee, there isn't anything to document.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Went out today to Carkeek Park here in Seattle and had very little luck, but did manage to catch a picture of this little guy:

Also some crows:

Going to head to Seward Park tomorrow and hope really hard that I can find the Mitred Conure flock.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some sort of colourfull bird

A bit of a dancer

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some sort of colourfull bird

A bit of a dancer

That's a rainbow lorikeet :)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I will see your lorikeet:

and I'll raise you a pair:

I love these birds, their colors are so intense I keep wondering if I'm boosting the contrast too much... wish I had the one on the left in better focus on that second photo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

StarkingBarfish posted:

I will see your lorikeet:

and I'll raise you a pair:

I love these birds, their colors are so intense I keep wondering if I'm boosting the contrast too much... wish I had the one on the left in better focus on that second photo.

'I only have the one Lorikeet pardner, but wuddaya gimme in trade?'

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Actually brought my camera along on my lunch walk today...

Hermit thrush not so hermit-ey on Flickr

Yellow eye, green bird on Flickr

UCD-Hen-Turkey 1508 on Flickr

UCD-Arboretum-20131114 1499 on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

They opened up my favorite raptor-watching field to tidal flow as part of a wetland restoration project this Fall. I was a bit concerned it would displace the vole population and send the kites and harriers elsewhere, but they all seem to be doing fine.

I had a Northern Harrier fly right over me at last light the other day

A Peregrine Falcon has been popping by occasionally to hunt the waterfowl attracted by the new brackish slough, but I have yet to get any decent pictures of it.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
I went to the Poconos a few weeks back with my wife and while we were in a small town for some shopping we saw an eagle being harassed by a few crows.
Of course all of my long lenses were in the car and I only had a 17-70. Here are 2 lousy crops :/

Gatehouse2013-21 by Bud_lish, on Flickr

Gatehouse2013-20 by Bud_lish, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The second issues of Wild Planet Photos Magazine is now available. The advice feels a bit lightweight this time, but some great photos. I do like the Little Owl capture.
http://wildplanetphotomagazine.com/

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Actually brought my camera along on my lunch walk today...

Yellow eye, green bird on Flickr

By yellow eye green bird you mean "Green Heron". :colbert:

These guys are very shy so good working finding him.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Went looking for my owls today and found lots of Rough-legged Hawks instead. I hope they didn't chase away my Great Grays!

I really dig this shot. The angle is great -- he looks like he's up to something.

Moon Potato posted:

I had a Northern Harrier fly right over me at last light the other day

Lovely harrier capture. I wish we had some type of wetlands like your marsh nearby. I think I'd camp out permanently.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Oh wow, those are fantastic. I love the snow. Hope your owls show up!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those are some amazing shots of raptors. What body/lens were you using for those?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Holy. poo poo.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump

This shot is AMAZING. just the angle, the movement, the framing. excellent.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the kind word folks. That one is currently being printed out large for my wall.

Kenshin posted:

Those are some amazing shots of raptors. What body/lens were you using for those?
Those were shot with a 1dx & 300 f/2.8 + 2x TC.

Here's something to get this thread back on topic:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
We ought to register defecatingbirds.com, then watch the referrals logs for disappointed fetishists.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Pablo Bluth posted:

We ought to register defecatingbirds.com, then watch the referrals logs for disappointed fetishists.

Domain is available for registration...

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 18, 2013

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

This shot would have made anything I did to get it, worth it. I am supremely jealous.

Majestic.

Sir, Madam or Porpoise; :golfclap:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here's one more rough-legged shot.

For something different, here's a look at the shot out of the camera:

I don't normally do this much alteration to a shot, but it was such a unique pose I thought I'd try to salvage it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

I don't normally do this much alteration to a shot, but it was such a unique pose I thought I'd try to salvage it.

Is that bottom one the full frame? :psyduck: if it was, how did you do the bottom wingtip? I know you can remove the barbed wire with contextually-aware stuff.

On that note, I'd be interested to see how the shot would turn out if you left the barbed wire and fence post in.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Nevermind, I'm stupid. Good work.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
I ran across a hawk on my walk today.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Internet Junky: Do you get the unique color in the background of your shots through split toning?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kenshin posted:

Is that bottom one the full frame? :psyduck: if it was, how did you do the bottom wingtip? I know you can remove the barbed wire with contextually-aware stuff.

On that note, I'd be interested to see how the shot would turn out if you left the barbed wire and fence post in.
If you look closely you can see the hack job I did with clone stamp.

As for taking out the wire and post, I did that mostly to make my life easier when it came to filling in the space I had to add on the left.

VelociBacon posted:

Internet Junky: Do you get the unique color in the background of your shots through split toning?
The colour is just some levels and curves adjustments in PS. I'm not sure what's going on with my camera body, but it's underexposing very bad lately. The final image is much closer to the actual light that was there.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Was able to snap these two images with my walkabout lens, a 35mm f/1.8. There were about 5 of these little guys flitting around in this tree, just a few feet away from me.

Nikon D3200, 35mm, f/5.6, 1/800sec

Nikon D3200, 35mm, f/5.6, 1/500sec

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Made another reel to promo the Arcata Marsh documentary project:
https://vimeo.com/80122358
If you're interested in supporting what we're doing, the details are in the crowd funding thread.

I've been at a desk way too much recently, but there are a couple shots I like from my recent outings.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Moon Potato posted:

If you're interested in supporting what we're doing, the details are in the crowd funding thread.

I love that video. Very nice work! I'll wander over the crowd funding thread now.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Saw a zillion of these things this summer:

IMG_4707.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Same with both of these:

IMG_5134.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Tried to do something fancy with the last photo. The vast majority of my time was spent under thick fog or slate-grey skies, which makes for very boring backgrounds.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm SO impressed with some of the work in this thread. drat!

I don't shoot birds often, but here a few I've done in the last few months.

351B4857 by francography, on Flickr

351B3534 by francography, on Flickr

351B3535 by francography, on Flickr

351B3507 by francography, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

It turns out that photographing a Ring-necked Pheasant against a snow background isn't such an easy task. I saw my first ever Pheasant yesterday and with the help of my wife, who went through the forest parallel to me to drive the bird my way, I was able to get about 100 shots of this beautiful bird. All of them are crap since I didn't pay enough attention to metering.

This is the best image I ended up with (the only one where the black of the neck isn't washed out completely)

Every other shot has a neck that looks like this: :(

Moon Potato posted:

Sweet! The kite diving sequence is unreal.

somnambulist posted:

I'm SO impressed with some of the work in this thread. drat!

I don't shoot birds often, but here a few I've done in the last few months.

351B4857 by francography, on Flickr
Great eagle shots! The Raven shot is especially nice -- it's not often where you get a Raven shot in which the bird is the most colourful thing in the picture.

Rot posted:

Same with both of these:

IMG_5134.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Tried to do something fancy with the last photo. The vast majority of my time was spent under thick fog or slate-grey skies, which makes for very boring backgrounds.
I feel your pain regarding the grey skies. I would suggest adding more room on the left and less on the right for this shot if possible.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

It turns out that photographing a Ring-necked Pheasant against a snow background isn't such an easy task. I saw my first ever Pheasant yesterday and with the help of my wife, who went through the forest parallel to me to drive the bird my way, I was able to get about 100 shots of this beautiful bird. All of them are crap since I didn't pay enough attention to metering.
Every other shot has a neck that looks like this: :(

You need to upgrade your winter clothing - I recommend a Canada Goose down parka, such as the Expedition (don't buy that one from that store - that's ridiculously overpriced, I got mine for $450 through eBay). Clearly, repeated bouts of hypothermia have addled your brain.

That's a fantastic photo.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The insurance payment for my gear that died in the marsh last month finally went through, and I spent my first day out with the Sigmonster I got to replace it's departed brother. Autofocus is a bit iffy at 800mm when the light's not strong, but IQ is solid and I'll mostly be manually focusing it.

The marsh's noisiest couple:

Great eagle and grouse pictures on this page, guys.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Moon Potato posted:

This is wonderful! I get the music stuck in my head and have to keep watching it over and over. Very nice.

Edit: The egret going "bleh" at the end is great!

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 26, 2013