Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Suprfli6 posted:

Tier 13 monks went from 850ish DPS while buffed and beating on a parse mob by themselves to 475 now. The whole system is buggy and not really coherent. We can't invuln to pull/split any more, our AOE dps is gone, I went from having a lifetap combo that hit for 950ish to a lifetap that hits for 100. Tier 11 monks do better dps than tier 13 monks unless the tier 13 monks have their tier 11 gear banked.

Apparently the aux bonus is huge atm though.

Every single aspect of the change is not working correctly so it's too soon to say.

Ugh I was just saying in IRC yesterday how I needed to log on Gegen and check out if things changed... they probably have... for the worse, I thought my bad dps couldn't get any badder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

MF_James posted:

Ugh I was just saying in IRC yesterday how I needed to log on Gegen and check out if things changed... they probably have... for the worse, I thought my bad dps couldn't get any badder

I just had him in game farting around. It is currently kind of bad, but slaar was online and had some people testing the pending modified updates. They appear promising from what I heard from the testers tonight.

BTW, way to level your kick skill you lazy dbag. It was 23 when I logged your dude in... I couldn't even land a kick on a light blue.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

eldrumo posted:

I just had him in game farting around. It is currently kind of bad, but slaar was online and had some people testing the pending modified updates. They appear promising from what I heard from the testers tonight.

BTW, way to level your kick skill you lazy dbag. It was 23 when I logged your dude in... I couldn't even land a kick on a light blue.

hey, I had ot level round kick thanks to combo system, can do kick as well, pretty sure only FK and RK are leveled to max all the other skills need stuff because they've literally never been useful.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...
FYI, last night Slaar was in game saying the monk fix's fix is almost ready to roll out. From what I have been hearing from testers, it should be a good patch.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

eldrumo posted:

FYI, last night Slaar was in game saying the monk fix's fix is almost ready to roll out. From what I have been hearing from testers, it should be a good patch.

Cool, yeah I probably should have logged on to assist with testing stuff but i'm le tired

I'm hoping things go well, I'm going to try to pitch a change to force of body once the new system is in place so that force of body isn't a gay +FK damage mod and instead has some actual impact (probably won't happen though sadly enough)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

eldrumo posted:

I was going over numbers with a few of the other highest active monks last night, and it seems unlikely that we'll get buffed up to the numbers we had in the combo system, let alone get a little extra to actually make us desirable. Plus there's the stances, lifetap, tanking ability, etc that are all greatly diminished in this system in exchange for the utility of being good aux tanks. And yet we can't actually be genuine aux tanks in the new system because ripostes and frontal AEs still rape us, so monk combat at the high end will be strafing to the front for a melee round, strafing to the back for a few seconds, and then back to the front, over and over again for the entire fight.

I was one of the more optimistic people when the combo system was being proposed and during its release. I've posted dozens of parses and suggestion posts with ideas on how to make the combo system fulfill its goals. It had issues but could have been amazing, with very minor tweaks. Two years later, those tweaks never came. The bane revamp had the same thing happen. And just now we had a whole bunch of items with str/dex "changes" that were nerfs at the high end despite the patch notes, on top of everything else. Every single part of the monk change was released either bugged or greatly inferior to what we had, despite the stated intent of buffing the monk class. At this point I've pretty much given up on the game because every single time something similar has been done in the last 2-3 years, it ends up being unfinished or a straight nerf. None of the active devs have a good understanding of the high end game and it is painfully obvious and has been for a long time. I've invested more time in this game than any other over the past 5 or 6 years, and it just feels like a waste now with the most recent changes. A handful of classes and items are grossly overpowered and have been for quite a long time, and everyone else just gets carried.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 5, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

I was going over numbers with a few of the other highest active monks last night, and it seems unlikely that we'll get buffed up to the numbers we had in the combo system, let alone get a little extra to actually make us desirable. Plus there's the stances, lifetap, tanking ability, etc that are all greatly diminished in this system in exchange for the utility of being good aux tanks. And yet we can't actually be genuine aux tanks in the new system because ripostes and frontal AEs still rape us, so monk combat at the high end will be strafing to the front for a melee round, strafing to the back for a few seconds, and then back to the front, over and over again for the entire fight.

I was one of the more optimistic people when the combo system was being proposed and during its release. I've posted dozens of parses and suggestion posts with ideas on how to make the combo system fulfill its goals. It had issues but could have been amazing, with very minor tweaks. Two years later, those tweaks never came. The bane revamp had the same thing happen. And just now we had a whole bunch of items with str/dex "changes" that were nerfs at the high end despite the patch notes, on top of everything else. Every single part of the monk change was released either bugged or greatly inferior to what we had, despite the stated intent of buffing the monk class. At this point I've pretty much given up on the game because every single time something similar has been done in the last 2-3 years, it ends up being unfinished or a straight nerf. None of the active devs have a good understanding of the high end game and it is painfully obvious and has been for a long time. I've invested more time in this game than any other over the past 5 or 6 years, and it just feels like a waste now with the most recent changes. A handful of classes and items are grossly overpowered and have been for quite a long time, and everyone else just gets carried.

this is disappointing, I actually liked the combo system, and you are right, it only needed a few tweaks to really be useful (everything except lifetap, dps and ae combos were worthless, but that could have been fixed!), part of the reason I barely log on anymore is that the character I started with and built up is just being ground into dirt repeatedly and I feel like all the time I spent on him has been wasted.

*EDIT* also when I logged in the other night I was extremely worried about losing all the stances, and obviously rightly so considering what you just said.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

For a long time, the 10% overhaste group buff combo would keep the buff until you feigned. I used this a lot for soloing, duoing, 6mans, raids. Then it was made worthless and a DPS decrease vs. dps combo no matter what your group composition was. I tried to get this changed so that the overhaste could be situationally worthwhile but to no avail.

The two DPS+stun combos I never found a use for.

The mez combo I never found a use for.

The AOE Iksar combo was bad, the human I would have used, but they were never balanced.

I've done some 6mans since the most recent patch, and there is no longer any decision making for monks in combat. You are in stance 2, period. You spam flying kick, unless there is a burn phase, in which case you spam no attacks until the burn phase and then spam flying kick.

These changes are worse in every way than the combo system (Now there's a sentence I never expected to type....)

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Suprfli6 posted:

For a long time, the 10% overhaste group buff combo would keep the buff until you feigned. I used this a lot for soloing, duoing, 6mans, raids. Then it was made worthless and a DPS decrease vs. dps combo no matter what your group composition was. I tried to get this changed so that the overhaste could be situationally worthwhile but to no avail.

The two DPS+stun combos I never found a use for.

The mez combo I never found a use for.

The AOE Iksar combo was bad, the human I would have used, but they were never balanced.

I've done some 6mans since the most recent patch, and there is no longer any decision making for monks in combat. You are in stance 2, period. You spam flying kick, unless there is a burn phase, in which case you spam no attacks until the burn phase and then spam flying kick.

These changes are worse in every way than the combo system (Now there's a sentence I never expected to type....)

This along with the staffs inability to actually finish a project is really killing my desire to play. Seemingly the only projects to get finished were done by Zaela. And since nothing is finished it always ends up as a huge nerf.

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon

Xeras posted:

This along with the staffs inability to actually finish a project is really killing my desire to play. Seemingly the only projects to get finished were done by Zaela. And since nothing is finished it always ends up as a huge nerf.

nothing that has been change hurts your wizard... warrior... necromancer....

you have a monk you haven't played in a million years.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Ketocon posted:

you have a monk you haven't played in a million years.
Maybe if monks would get an actual nice change he'd play it.

I'm waiting for my frog DoTs to summon bees.

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon

Tom Powers posted:

Maybe if monks would get an actual nice change he'd play it.

I'm waiting for my frog DoTs to summon bees.

you dont know xaltec

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...
Goons killed stuff in Misery last night. Got dudes loots and a relic.

Monk changes part two went live in the wee hours of the morning. No clue on the results.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

eldrumo posted:

Goons killed stuff in Misery last night. Got dudes loots and a relic.

Monk changes part two went live in the wee hours of the morning. No clue on the results.

Still a 20-30% reduction in dps for me, along with all the other bugs and nerfs.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I liked the monk combo system. I thought it was great and fine. Monks just needed more stuff in addition to the combo system. Like a mix between having /cm abilities and combos.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

I liked the monk combo system. I thought it was great and fine. Monks just needed more stuff in addition to the combo system. Like a mix between having /cm abilities and combos.

realistically a couple of the combos just needed changed/buffed to be useful instead of spamming rk/rk/rk or the lifetap one if you were taking abnormal aoe/rampage damage.

I'm saddened that slaar is trying to push monks to a more utility/dps roll, I mean sure it's nice to have a bit of utility but monks are also supposed to punch things good.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Also the fact that "utility class" in EQ/SoD typically means Enchanter, Bard, Beastlord. Currently at the high end Enchanters are capable of the highest single target DPS (personal DPS, on top of the huge boost they give to rangers and other genuine utility they provide) and even in 6mans they are top tier. High end bards do >1200 on most fights while genuine DPS classes do 1400-1500 while providing the songs and poo poo. Beastlords did less DPS which is a known issue and supposedly getting fixed, despite the h2h and stat nerf they just got as part of the monk changes.

Basically monks already did "utility" levels of DPS and now do healer levels of DPS. I can log in a shaman or druid and do more DPS than I do on Susvain, while also healing. Then again Tevinter parsing >2000 DPS as an enchanter without his Supreme charm and a lot of tomes while the top DPS in the game are lucky to break 1600, I don't really expect anything remotely balanced any more. If this new system was at least fun or interesting it would be one thing, but now I just have to stare at my endurance bar, strafe between front and back because I can't actually aux tank anything remotely challenging, and lost all of my stances for pulling, AOE dps, tanking, single target dps, etc.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 9, 2014

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon

Suprfli6 posted:

Also the fact that "utility class" in EQ/SoD typically means Enchanter, Bard, Beastlord. Currently at the high end Enchanters are capable of the highest single target DPS (personal DPS, on top of the huge boost they give to rangers and other genuine utility they provide) and even in 6mans they are top tier. High end bards do >1200 on most fights while genuine DPS classes do 1400-1500 while providing the songs and poo poo. Beastlords did less DPS which is a known issue and supposedly getting fixed, despite the h2h and stat nerf they just got as part of the monk changes.

Basically monks already did "utility" levels of DPS and now do healer levels of DPS. I can log in a shaman or druid and do more DPS than I do on Susvain, while also healing. Then again Tevinter parsing >2000 DPS as an enchanter without his Supreme charm and a lot of tomes while the top DPS in the game are lucky to break 1600, I don't really expect anything remotely balanced any more. If this new system was at least fun or interesting it would be one thing, but now I just have to stare at my endurance bar, strafe between front and back because I can't actually aux tank anything remotely challenging, and lost all of my stances for pulling, AOE dps, tanking, single target dps, etc.

you're a cleric now bro. welcome to the amazing dps healer club. we're made it!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Ketocon posted:

you're a cleric now bro. welcome to the amazing dps healer club. we're made it!

Unfortunately this latest round of changes has killed my desire to play this game at all. Maybe when my main is playable again, we'll see. Sorry goons.

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon
you rear end in a top hat you're joining <dragonkin> i knew it! burn the witch!

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

Suprfli6 posted:

Unfortunately this latest round of changes has killed my desire to play this game at all. Maybe when my main is playable again, we'll see. Sorry goons.

Just come enjoy raids twice a week on the cleric. Don't be a negative Nancy :p

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon
we're in need of cool dudes.

sign up, log in, ask questions............. whatever the gently caress you need to do to play here.

SOD forums my name is Nebi

In game i play Abuela / Abuelito -

Guild forums - gs.emiliogarcia.net/bb

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Unfortunately I leveled my monk as my first DPS, which apparently suck now (and already did?). I have a 65 Shaman, and need to level up either my rogue, beastlord, sk, warrior, or ranger.

Thoughts? Need anything specific?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tabletops posted:

Unfortunately I leveled my monk as my first DPS, which apparently suck now (and already did?). I have a 65 Shaman, and need to level up either my rogue, beastlord, sk, warrior, or ranger.

Thoughts? Need anything specific?

Play whatever interests you most. The problem is a lot of people play what is "needed" and then quit because they don't find it fun.

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon

MF_James posted:

Play whatever interests you most. The problem is a lot of people play what is "needed" and then quit because they don't find it fun.

that

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

MF_James posted:

I find all of my dudes to be fun, which is part of why I have so many in the 30s!

I guess I'll level my rogue and enchanter for now.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...

Tabletops posted:

I find all of my dudes to be fun, which is part of why I have so many in the 30s!

I guess I'll level my rogue and enchanter for now.

Monks are mid revamp, which is why they suck. There have been 2 monk revamp patches over the last 2 weeks, and I would be shocked if there wasn't a 3rd and maybe 4th over the next 2 weeks. It might premature to give up on monks yet. Just sayin

Ketocon
Sep 21, 2007
Bukkake Cannon
we're farming dragons relics and bullshit. get in now so you dont have to do it later.

eldrumo
May 23, 2013

Bingo...
Been doing plane of water, north dragonhorn keep, towers of agony, etc. A lot of back gearing and relic farming. Dudes have been questing, and XPing like mad. We are off progression raiding until after the holidays are over. Get logged in an get caught up on your quests during the down time!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ketocon posted:

we're in need of cool dudes.

sign up, log in, ask questions............. whatever the gently caress you need to do to play here.

SOD forums my name is Nebi

In game i play Abuela / Abuelito -

Guild forums - gs.emiliogarcia.net/bb

How long does grinding up to a reasonable level take?

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Sampatrick posted:

How long does grinding up to a reasonable level take?
Forever.

But the new wave of goons have only been at it for a few months so you could reasonably catch up to them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tom Powers posted:

Forever.

But the new wave of goons have only been at it for a few months so you could reasonably catch up to them.

Ugh. That's always my problem with games like these; they're awesome, but they take forever to get to the new content. Uh, so I just downloaded it and patched and I'm currently getting string not found errors, what can I do to fix this?

EDIT: Literally every string can't be found, I'm moderately worried.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Did you start with one of the four compatible expansions?

I think that SoD is so old now that the newest ones aren't compatible. They're working on that.

Other than that I'm not sure what to recommend.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tom Powers posted:

I think that SoD is so old now that the newest ones aren't compatible. They're working on that.

I got it to work

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Tom Powers posted:

Actually you can use the most up to date one. You can just DL and install the ftp version from steam and it'll work.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008

Tom Powers posted:

All new expansions should work just fine. You can use the online obtainable ones ezpz.

It sounds like his anti-virus might be blocking the patcher downloading the correct string files. (eq_str, et al)

ArgoATX
Dec 10, 2014
What ever happened to that buggy heap of crap that Wiz jumped ship from SoD to "work" on?

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Dead.

Wiz works for Paradox now.

ArgoATX
Dec 10, 2014

Tom Powers posted:

Dead.

Wiz works for Paradox now.

Oh, neat! Is he one of the four guys still working on CK2? I saw his name in the notes for a mod I was trying to get to work earlier, what a small world. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I got the impression he worked for the publishing company and not the development subsidiary but I don't know for sure.

• Locked thread