Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011
Really dumb, embarrassing question, since I was casually looking at the DXRacers... Google-fu isn't helping.

I do a lot of sim-racing at my desk, and desire a chair that doesn't move for stability. Is it super easy to swap casters for stable feet on the DXRacer/Steelcase/whatever I find comfy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you just sit the chair on furniture cups?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/dxracer/comments/4pm2pd/appearance_of_dxracer_chair_after_using_it_for_25/

Seriously, don't buy a DXRacer. They're poo poo at all bar marketing. They can barely even support a subreddit they moderate.They've even hidden the 'controversial' sorting option.

well why not fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 12, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No keep buying them because atleast its a chair and not some other stupid life choice like drugs

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

well why not posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dxracer/comments/4pm2pd/appearance_of_dxracer_chair_after_using_it_for_25/

Seriously, don't buy a DXRacer. They're poo poo at all bar marketing. They can barely even support a subreddit they moderate.They've even hidden the 'controversial' sorting option.

Any cheap bonded leather surface is going to look like that after using it 9 hours per day for over 2 years.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

~Coxy posted:

Any cheap bonded leather surface is going to look like that after using it 9 hours per day for over 2 years.

I like the idiots suggesting you clean it with loving baby oil, which will gently caress up and break down the bonded leather even faster.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Google Butt posted:

If only you could add a headrest to the leap

Or, you know, actual ergonomics or a seat pad that lasts longer than 6 months. (The Leap is half marketing itself, for all this dx-racer marketing talk.) Maybe I was just too tall for the regular sized leap, but it helped gently caress my back.And the other steelcase branded chairs here all hurt for me to sit in for more than 20 minutes at a time. Which is why I largely stand.

That said, the worklounge from them actually looks great, just not $2300 great.

Getting a workplace ergonomics eval soon. We're supposed to have an office remodel with sit/stand desks (mine is fixed height atm), but no way in hell am I being shoved into another Leap.

For home, looking into an Aeron or Embody, but all the furniture liquidators seem to only have B size/no embody chairs. How are Aerons with the posturefix back support?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Fwiw I'm too tall for the leap/size b/most chairs (6'7"/8") but the size c Aeron fit, and the Embody was a close second.

I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of tech companies selling off chairs on Craigslist locally , but you could also try like, Madison seating or the like.

If the back was too short/seat too low for you I would definitely wait for a size c or similarly large chair, it's made way more difference than I would have imagined.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

foutre posted:

Fwiw I'm too tall for the leap/size b/most chairs (6'7"/8") but the size c Aeron fit, and the Embody was a close second.

I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of tech companies selling off chairs on Craigslist locally , but you could also try like, Madison seating or the like.

If the back was too short/seat too low for you I would definitely wait for a size c or similarly large chair, it's made way more difference than I would have imagined.

Yeah, the B's were definitely too small, and even HM's site says for me C only based on height/weight I'm currently at/am aiming for(6'4/220/200)

If i can get an embody for 400-500, I'd gladly pay that and get the posturefit or something aftermarket.

edit: found this CL ad. How can I verify it was actually rebuilt by a technician?

quote:

You are looking at Aeron C Chair with Lumbar. Chair rebuilt by a Certified Herman Miller Technician. I replaced everything with new Herman Miller parts. There will be no parts to fail on this chair. NEW TILT MECHANISM, CYLINDER, LUMBAR PAD,FUNCTION CABLES, RIGHT AND LEFT SWING ARMS, ARM PADS,CASTERS,HIP BOLTS, AND SEAT PAN. You won't find another like this unless you buy a new one. The price is $450.00 CASH FIRM and delivered in the metro area. This is by far the best used Aeron on Craigslist.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 13, 2016

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tedronai66 posted:

edit: found this CL ad. How can I verify it was actually rebuilt by a technician?

sounds like the aeron of theseus

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

penus penus penus posted:

No not a real one, just knock offs. They were ok, fine really, checked off all the boxes. I just questioned the longevity.

The neverending search conitnues

Has anybody seen this :v:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/648217121/chair-the-advanced-art-of-seating

That way super far forward angle is something I actually like when gaming. At $300 though, I can see a chair that moves in wacky ways like that just exploding suddenly one day

I'm going over old posts and I saw this -- looks like kickstarter suspended the funding since it's already actually for sale and they were using kickstarter as marketing? Anyways at the moment it's only $179 plus $40 shipping. I should avoid it completely though right? My fiance needs a desk chair, and we're on a budget, so I was thinking if it's not crap it might be good to look into. On the other hand, we can get the markus shipped for $250, so maybe that's the better route. She's in a somewhat small town and we haven't had luck with craigslist.

Edit: Actually does anybody have any experience shipping office chairs? I have an extra Aeron I could just ship to her but I'm guessing that might cost an awful lot.

Neurostorm fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 23, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neurostorm posted:

I'm going over old posts and I saw this -- looks like kickstarter suspended the funding since it's already actually for sale and they were using kickstarter as marketing? Anyways at the moment it's only $179 plus $40 shipping. I should avoid it completely though right? My fiance needs a desk chair, and we're on a budget, so I was thinking if it's not crap it might be good to look into. On the other hand, we can get the markus shipped for $250, so maybe that's the better route. She's in a somewhat small town and we haven't had luck with craigslist.

Edit: Actually does anybody have any experience shipping office chairs? I have an extra Aeron I could just ship to her but I'm guessing that might cost an awful lot.

It was suspended because they were reselling a chair from China and passing it off as a new creation. Some redditor found out about it and reported it to Kickstarter.

That's why they are selling them directly now and people are still buying them. :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've got a Steelcase Think that's fairly new but making some pretty bad squeaking/creaking sounds from the left-hand arm whenever it's moved around. Anyone know how to fix this? Most of my previous chairs didn't even have adjustable arms so I'm not sure where to tighten or grease.

e: incidentally, I bought this thing for cheap, which is good because I can't say I'm thrilled with it so far. I'm skinny but like 70% leg and the tiny seat combined with the recliner's constant resistance makes it feel like it's trying to catapult me into my computer screen. Hurts my shoulders. I keep wanting to escape from the feeling of this thing digging into my back.

e2: yeah, not to sound like a drama queen but this thing's a god drat torture device. Impossible to get comfortable in. I can't work or think because all I'm thinking about is "get my spine away from this loving chair." I might just put it on Craigslist and use the cash to buy another cheap Staples office chair, because my last one was vastly more comfortable and workable than this nightmare even when all the lovely bonded leather and seat cushioning had disintegrated.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 26, 2016

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Herman Miller has an update to the Aeron coming out. My current Aeron has served me well for ~15 years but needs some work, I may actually spend MSRP on a new one if I like it after I've had a chance to sit in it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tornhelm posted:

It also helps that it is one of the few chairs pretty much available globally without huge regional markups because there's no way I'm spending $1k+ on a computer chair.

If you spend any amount of appreciable time at the computer, why would you not?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Lawen posted:

Herman Miller has an update to the Aeron coming out. My current Aeron has served me well for ~15 years but needs some work, I may actually spend MSRP on a new one if I like it after I've had a chance to sit in it.

Well poo poo. Looks like I might be into a local retailer or something.. Though oof, the configuration I want ratchets the price a few hundred from base model. Lambda chair looks interesting too, but I don't know if I could be a guinea pig with my back.

So at work, I was given an option of Steelcase Leap (gently caress that), and Teknion Projek (stool or chair version, as I currently have a standing height only desk). I'm torn, because I will never sit in a Leap again if I can help it, and the Projek looks similarly built, just more asspadding. I wonder if I can do anything to raise the issue further, or if I have to go with the Projek and then see from there if it hurts my back as well.

Oxxidation posted:

e2: yeah, not to sound like a drama queen but this thing's a god drat torture device. Impossible to get comfortable in. I can't work or think because all I'm thinking about is "get my spine away from this loving chair." I might just put it on Craigslist and use the cash to buy another cheap Staples office chair, because my last one was vastly more comfortable and workable than this nightmare even when all the lovely bonded leather and seat cushioning had disintegrated.

If you can, get something worthwhile. I tried a bunch of officemax/staples chairs, and hated them all (tried each for a few minutes/tried to adjust in store). Is a used/refurb Aeron in your budget? Or the Lambda even, since they have a 30 day refund window?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

If you can, get something worthwhile. I tried a bunch of officemax/staples chairs, and hated them all (tried each for a few minutes/tried to adjust in store). Is a used/refurb Aeron in your budget? Or the Lambda even, since they have a 30 day refund window?

Honestly, I'm just being bitchy. These are task chairs, and most of my home chairs have been, as said, sub-$300 Staples stuff - the one I've got now (dragged it out of retirement after my last tantrum) is less a chair and more a sofa on wheels, it's good for lounging in but less than useless for work. On the other hand, the Think keeps my back straight but the constant resistance just makes me tired and pissed off when I start to get fatigued, since it doesn't really permit you to relax. If I get this squeak fixed I might just swap between the two for a while depending on whether I'm being productive or not. Going to tighten all the necessary screws etc tomorrow.

All the used furniture in my area is Steelcase too, so Herman Miller's out. My savings actually could accommodate a new Mirra or something, but "could" is different than "should."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Oxxidation posted:

Honestly, I'm just being bitchy. These are task chairs, and most of my home chairs have been, as said, sub-$300 Staples stuff - the one I've got now (dragged it out of retirement after my last tantrum) is less a chair and more a sofa on wheels, it's good for lounging in but less than useless for work. On the other hand, the Think keeps my back straight but the constant resistance just makes me tired and pissed off when I start to get fatigued, since it doesn't really permit you to relax. If I get this squeak fixed I might just swap between the two for a while depending on whether I'm being productive or not. Going to tighten all the necessary screws etc tomorrow.

All the used furniture in my area is Steelcase too, so Herman Miller's out. My savings actually could accommodate a new Mirra or something, but "could" is different than "should."

Wow, I'm surprised that the Think has such high tension at all of it's tension levels, I can adjust my Leap to be super tense but I can also set it to be very relaxed. I'd sort of regretted not getting the Think since it was the hot new thing but I guess I dodged a bullet there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What do you guys think of the DuoRest split chairs?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
All of the pleather has finally rotted off my $200 8 year old OfficeMax unit. It's noisy, sometimes collapses, and there is no more padding in the rear end.

I'm 6'1" @ 320lbs and live in this chair 9 hours a day. What are my options for something that isn't a xX420xGamerZXz and doesn't cost an assload of money. More importantly, where can I go to test fit my fat rear end into a new seat? Currently in Topeka KS and I don't think we have any good chair stores around here.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

slightpirate posted:

All of the pleather has finally rotted off my $200 8 year old OfficeMax unit. It's noisy, sometimes collapses, and there is no more padding in the rear end.

I'm 6'1" @ 320lbs and live in this chair 9 hours a day. What are my options for something that isn't a xX420xGamerZXz and doesn't cost an assload of money. More importantly, where can I go to test fit my fat rear end into a new seat? Currently in Topeka KS and I don't think we have any good chair stores around here.

The Ikea Markus is the go to cheap option, there is a Ikea store in Kansas City though it will be a bit of a drive.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

slightpirate posted:

Can you drive to Kansas City? There appears to be folks selling used Steelcase there, but those are probably going to be $200-400.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
This is a scam right

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fully-Loade...TsAAOSw5cNYNeyh

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!

Says it's already ended, but I doubt it. The guy likely just wanted to get rid of them and undercut the competition.

Realistically, I'd say $900.00 regular for an office chair is a total ripoff to begin with.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wonder how the Vertagear Triigger compares to ergonomic office chairs. It's branded as a gaming chair but it looks like it has some serious ergonomic options compared to the half-assed gaming chairs. The reviewer notes that it's cheaper than the Aeron while still matching its features, though it's hardly a deep or hands-on comparison. Either way, looks like a step forward from racing-style gaming chairs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Argas posted:

I wonder how the Vertagear Triigger compares to ergonomic office chairs. It's branded as a gaming chair but it looks like it has some serious ergonomic options compared to the half-assed gaming chairs. The reviewer notes that it's cheaper than the Aeron while still matching its features, though it's hardly a deep or hands-on comparison. Either way, looks like a step forward from racing-style gaming chairs.

They are also a sponsor of the channel. Not saying hardware Canucks is out to cheat people. But there will always be some bias in that situation.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
I know everyone was skeptical about Autonomous.ai after the Kickstarter shenanigans, but I decided to bite the bullet and did not cancel my order. Shady business practices or not, they are legit; I just got the chair I ordered, on time (two days early, even) and in great shape. It took all of 15 min to build, build quality is very good and it's very comfy. I bought it as a birthday present for my wife and she couldn't be happier. We'll see how it wears over time, but for anyone in the market I don't think you could beat a chair with these features for the price.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Certainly you could get it cheaper from the Chinese company they are flipping them from?

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
If price maximization is all you care about, sure. Or, for (probably) very slightly more, you could buy from a vendor with a stateside presence and distribution network, local showrooms, and easy to reach customer service? Seems a straightforward deal to me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Don Lapre posted:

They are also a sponsor of the channel. Not saying hardware Canucks is out to cheat people. But there will always be some bias in that situation.

Yeah, there's some bias at work for sure. It just immediately looks better than and different from the typical racing-style gaming chairs that everyone makes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Due to fat goonry a wheel just broke off the amazing chair I got along with a desk for like $35 about 3 years ago second hand. Not only am I in Canada but I'm way out on the east coast, so its hard to be choosy here when it comes to shopping. I read above about the Markus and apparently Ikea will ship it here...free? edit: They have a deal on today, free shipping above $50. Excellent. $194 CAD to the door. Should I not even bother to look elsewhere and pull the trigger?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
If your budget is in that ballpark then you probably won't find something comparable until you bump your budget up another couple hundred dollars. So fire away.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I went ahead and ordered it. I liked some of their cute sub $100 options with no arms as I'm a musician who is often playing in front of the computer but that 10 year warranty was a big selling point.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

codo27 posted:

Due to fat goonry a wheel just broke off the amazing chair I got along with a desk for like $35 about 3 years ago second hand. Not only am I in Canada but I'm way out on the east coast, so its hard to be choosy here when it comes to shopping. I read above about the Markus and apparently Ikea will ship it here...free? edit: They have a deal on today, free shipping above $50. Excellent. $194 CAD to the door. Should I not even bother to look elsewhere and pull the trigger?

How did it break? Office chair wheels are fairly standard and can be replaced. (I'd still replace all five due to possible differences in wheel size)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Any experience here on if cats like to scratch up these fancy mesh chairs?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dupersaurus posted:

they haven't touched my aeron when they thoroughly destroyed my bigger vinyl one

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dupersaurus posted:

When I brought my Leap 2 home my cats hissed at it and have mostly avoided it entirely since.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Does anybody know if Ikea are flexible at all with receipts for warranty claims on Markuses? My cylinder will sometimes just let all the air out when I sit down or lean in a specific way, but that receipt is looooooong gone.

Now that I think about it, that chair may actually be coming up on 10 years at this point anyway, so maybe time to replace it with a new one.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Inspector_666 posted:

Does anybody know if Ikea are flexible at all with receipts for warranty claims on Markuses? My cylinder will sometimes just let all the air out when I sit down or lean in a specific way, but that receipt is looooooong gone.

Now that I think about it, that chair may actually be coming up on 10 years at this point anyway, so maybe time to replace it with a new one.

Did you buy it online or at a store? They pulled up my receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wasabi the J posted:

Did you buy it online or at a store? They pulled up my receipt.

It would have been in-store in a different state. Glad to know there's some hope, I'll give them a call.