Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

notZaar posted:

They just announced they're going to sell it on lots more platforms so theres money to be made.

Stuff like Android and iOS are one thing, tablet users can play the game, but I'm a bit concerned about their decision to port to consoles. If you have a PS4, you probably have either a PC or tablet that can play the game (min graphics requirements for a PC is the Intel 3000 HD chipset found in basic laptops.) Point-and-click is kind of lousy with a controller anyway. Maybe Sony gave them a bag of cash or something but it seems like something that's just going to divert the resources of the dev/test teams, and it's not like Double Fine has the money to pay some company to do the port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They clearly have some kind of relationship with Sony, remember that Grim Fandango remake was initially announced as a PS4 game.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
You are forgetting that the DS4 has a touchpad that is perfect for a point-and-click game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

grrarg posted:

You are forgetting that the DS4 has a touchpad that is perfect for a point-and-click game.

I think I would rather use a live ferret as a controller than play an entire game on the DS4 touchpad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It will probably just automatically highlight the hotspots and cycle through them with a touch of a stick, or something.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Broken Age is already out on Ouya, they'll probably just use the same controls as that does.

(It was supposed to be console-exclusive to Ouya, even. :laugh:)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Broken Age is already out on Ouya, they'll probably just use the same controls as that does.

Yeah, probably.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

(It was supposed to be console-exclusive to Ouya, even. :laugh:)

The only other actual game company I can think of that had an exclusive Ouya port - heck, an Ouya port at all - was Airtight Games (the Quantum Conundrum/Murdered Soul Suspect people.) That game was Soul Fjord (another game by the "creator of Portal" Kim Swift.) Company went out of business not that long after. There may be a lesson to be learned there (like making games for consoles people own like the PlayStation or Xbox, or even the Wii U for that matter.)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

The only other actual game company I can think of that had an exclusive Ouya port - heck, an Ouya port at all - was Airtight Games (the Quantum Conundrum/Murdered Soul Suspect people.) That game was Soul Fjord (another game by the "creator of Portal" Kim Swift.) Company went out of business not that long after. There may be a lesson to be learned there (like making games for consoles people own like the PlayStation or Xbox, or even the Wii U for that matter.)

Tripwire had a top-down Killing Floor game exclusive to the Ouya, and I haven't seen that come out anywhere else yet. I'd like for it to.

People got really swept up in Ouya as "THE INDIE REVOLUTION" back when it was announced, especially considering it ride the wave back when Kickstarter was a new and exciting concept, but anyone who was paying a modicum of attention knew it was a crock of poo poo. I wouldn't be surprised if Schafer felt some sort of obligation to help his fellow indies or whatever. I have to wonder what legal poo poo they pulled to get rid of Ouya exclusivity.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

I have to wonder what legal poo poo they pulled to get rid of Ouya exclusivity.

I think that was a timed exclusive, they just have to wait for the del to lapse (and work on porting it in the meantime).

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Schafer felt some sort of obligation to help his fellow indies or whatever.

Schafer properly did it because they were already porting it to Android, and once that was done, porting it to the OUYA wouldn't be that hard. The people behind the OUYA on the other hand needed something to distinguish their console, and having more money than sense, they and Schafer struck a deal.

That's my best take on the situation anyway.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen the Ouya on the shelf at Walmart, that's more than I can say for DFA. It was pretty bizarre to see the Ouya there though (I felt the same way when I saw Wasteland 2 at Gamestop.)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

There's probably a better thread for this somewhere, but I can't find it: in the latest Double Fine Action Bulletin they introduced a new feature called Devs Play, which is Let's Plays with game devs. The first one is Greg Rice playing through The Lion King for the Sega Genesis, while a co-founder from Westwood Studios talks about the game's development. It's fascinating, especially since it was such a blast from the past for me, as The Lion King on the Genesis ate up the better part of a summer in my youth.

Greg does it pro mode too, on an actual Genesis, so no save scumming. Holy poo poo watching that I'd forgotten how brutal the game could get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILeyo1iv0A

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
New update:

quote:

Since the last Kickstarter update, there have been a few project updates in the backer forums over here and more recently here. Suffice to say, progress on Act 2 is coming quick now, and that’s only going to continue until we ship. Expect to hear lots of us in the coming months! Until then, here’s a bit of a recap on what was said there.

The big news is that the entirety of Act 2 hit Alpha last December, and much of it is well on it’s way to beta! The game is playable from start to finish, including the big finale scene we’ve been working on for the past few months. All the professional VO has also been recorded and implemented in the game. With the size and complexity of Act 2, these are HUGE HUUUUUGE milestones!!

We’ve been playtesting the game a lot starting from the beginning and allowing players to switch characters throughout. So far we’re seeing exactly what we were hoping! Playtimes of just Act 2 complete with the finale have ranged from 9-13 hours, the puzzles seem to be providing a good level of challenge, nothing is really standing out as needing to be heavily re-worked, and most importantly people are laughing a lot and seem really pleased with where the story goes. YAY!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Great Rumbler posted:

Playtimes of just Act 2 complete with the finale have ranged from 9-13 hours

:unsmigghh: that is rad, though ya gotta wonder if there's a ball bustingly difficult section in there somewhere

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

More importantly, new episode of the show.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Where? When I go to https://doublefineadventure.vhx.tv/watch the latest is Episode 17.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Gaspy Conana posted:

:unsmigghh: that is rad, though ya gotta wonder if there's a ball bustingly difficult section in there somewhere

How long was the first one? I've refused to play it until the whole game is out.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Bum the Sad posted:

How long was the first one? I've refused to play it until the whole game is out.

About 3-4 hours.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Christian Knudsen posted:

Where? When I go to https://doublefineadventure.vhx.tv/watch the latest is Episode 17.

Episode 18 is accessible through the kickstarter page. If you're one of those people that is paying for the documentary without doing the kickstarter, I'm not sure when that updates.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's also on their backer only forums. ( Home > Forum Home > Broken Age Private Backers-Only Area > DFA: From Double Fine and 2 Player Productions > Episode 18: Constipation and Defcon 4)

Justin is quickly becoming my favorite person in the videos, and he only showed up for a few seconds to smirk.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 8, 2015

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Oh. And I was just in the mood for a new episode. :(

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

double nine posted:

... Justin is quickly becoming my favorite person in the videos, and he only showed up for a few seconds to smirk.

I still feel bad for the worried-looking, bald guy. He's the lead programmer or something? Dude looks more worried and more bald with every episode.

Tim came off as more reasonable this time around though. It helped getting his explanation of the in-house deadlines and why he had clung to December.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 8, 2015

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Donnerberg posted:

I still feel bad for the worried-looking, bald guy. He's the lead programmer or something? Dude looks more worried and more bald with every episode.

Tim came off as more reasonable this time around though. It helped getting his explanation of the in-house deadlines and why he had clung to December.

Haven't seen the latest episode yet but when I heard "worried-looking bald guy" I think "Ray Crook," animator extraordinaire. That's just how he looks. Worried and bald. He's probably fine.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That's good to hear, and it explains why he was in their animation meeting!

The documentary is like a reality show, but with likable people. And I want everyone to win.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I believe the lead programmer is Oliver Franzke who was only in this episode briefly but really ratcheted up the German-ness by adding colored dress socks and Birkenstocks to his ensemble. Along with his already very German-looking jacket, I think he's finally achieved peak-German.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering the time period this episode covers the complete lack of anything about spacebace is weird

I get it's not within the specific purview of the documentary series itself but for a series that ostensibly was all about a clear transparent look into the process of making a video game, especially the way the series has specifically referenced other df projects in development like massive chalice, amnesia fortnight, costume quest etc , and considering how ostensibly important of an event it was where Tim specifically had to do damage control about it after it's development was stopped, the lack of coverage in the series comes across as a whitewashing, especially considering how there at least appears to be a real narrative about the cancellation of development on space base and the subsequent reaction to that cancellation that isn't shown at all

And again I get the argument that it's not specifically applicable to the development on broken age, which if so I really wished it'd be in like a bonus video at least

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeaaaaaaaaaaah, that's not going to happen. Taking a wild, wild guess - they really want this to go away.

EDIT: This makes me happy I decided not to back Thimbleweed Park. Ron seems somewhat... out of touch.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 8, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yeah, why would people complain about something in a game from 2013 that they were fine with in a game from 1987????

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I couldn't resist. I snarked.

Will let you know how it went.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Megazver posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah, that's not going to happen. Taking a wild, wild guess - they really want this to go away.

I'm sure they do but it's not, you can either have the documentary cover it (and maybe have a nice post-mortem/lessons learned as part of it to show that you won't make the same mistake again) or you can stick your fingers in your ears and hum real loud.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I spent almost all of 1997 playing one new-release game: Super Mario 64. And it wasn't necessarily that it was some amazing game that I just had to play over and over again [although it was pretty good], but simply because it was the only new-release game I had. I suspect most people have similar stories from their childhood. But now? I've got dozens of Steam games I haven't played, a stack of PS3 games that I've barely touched, and so on. Back then, replaying game was out of necessity; now it's just a luxury saved for truly great experiences. The Cave, by most accounts, didn't meet that bar.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Megazver posted:

EDIT: This makes me happy I decided not to back Thimbleweed Park. Ron seems somewhat... out of touch.

I don't know, if that really was the main criticism of the game then I can sort of get what he's going on about. My personal main criticism was that there really wasn't much to do and what was there was either too easy or repetitive and boring/drawn out. He adresses the level everyone had issues with, which I only vaguely remember at this point.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I'm sure they do but it's not, you can either have the documentary cover it (and maybe have a nice post-mortem/lessons learned as part of it to show that you won't make the same mistake again) or you can stick your fingers in your ears and hum real loud.

They had like 3 other games that I don't care about come out over that period, I'm honestly really glad that 2pp aren't jamming the release process for all that into a documentary that's supposed to be about how a game is made. As interesting as the documentary was early on, I'm not terribly interested in Double Fine the docu-soap and it already feels like it's steering too far in that direction over time. I get that there's probably not so much that isn't spoilery and that they haven't shown already to cover, and that the work that's going on right now is probably just graft (the few seconds at the end of the most recent episode probably covers it) but it just feels a bit bloated now.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

There's also no mention of Double Fine losing a publishing deal in November and having to fire a bunch of people. I know they want to focus on Broken Age, but they do spend time on the VP of development leaving the company - and then no mention of the 12 people that were laid off. It's weird that there's absolutely no mention, not even just an offhand remark, about such a fairly huge thing happening to the company.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

One of the people fired was the project lead for spacebase, so you answered your own question

lol double fine is really trying so desperately to bury this poo poo huh

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

I know. They even showed him briefly in one of the meetings. They could still mention 12 people being laid off because of a publishing deal falling through, though, without mentioning Spacebase.

EDIT: I have a feeling that Justin Bailey probably talked about it quite a bit in regards to the financial situation at Double Fine with both losing a publishing deal and Broken Age taking an extra four months -- and that's why he isn't featured much in this episode. Instead of trying to edit around it, they just decided to not included him at all. It kinda bums me out a bit, because I actually enjoy the aspects of this docu that focus on the general goings on at a game developer and wouldn't mind a docu that didn't just focus on making Broken Age but was more of a Double Fine soap opera. I'd hate if one of the results of the Spacebase ordeal was for them to button up more as a company.

Christian Knudsen fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 9, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those 12 people were in December were they not? Considering there's a section in there about asking a few people about getting the game out in December I would presume most of this latest episode takes place before then. Or, even simpler, they asked the 12 people if they wanted to be mentioned and they said no. I think some malice is being assigned where is probably doesn't exist.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

The news broke on various gaming sites at the end of November. And they could easily mention in the episode that they lost a publishing deal and had to lay off some staff without mentioning who specifically was fired.

But you're right that most of this episode may have been shot before december. I don't remember there being a Christmas break or people coming back from vacation in this episode, so it may very well end around November just before the layoffs. That would certainly explain it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
No, it's probably some sort of conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wonder if part 2 will come out before summer

I'm guessing no, since apparently they're simultaneously releasing on ps3/4 in addition to PC for part 2, so I imagine the cert and bug-testing process for consoles will just hold up this release for a couple more months

• Locked thread