Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LingcodKilla posted:

Barbs are unnecessary for sport fishing. Bait fishing with barbs on stuff that you may have to release is laaaame.
Minnesota did a study on barbs for fly fishing and found that barbs on artificials didn't negatively impact survival rate. I bring fewer trout to hand without barbs because they're more likely to get off if they jump. I don't mind, and I'll gladly comply with the locals laws where I am. But I don't debarb my hooks unless I have to, because :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They did a survey out on the west coast and it's found the number one cause for fish mortality is amount of time out of water. Minimize handling and fish extremely resistant to baratrama and damage.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Dik Hz posted:

Minnesota did a study on barbs for fly fishing and found that barbs on artificials didn't negatively impact survival rate. I bring fewer trout to hand without barbs because they're more likely to get off if they jump. I don't mind, and I'll gladly comply with the locals laws where I am. But I don't debarb my hooks unless I have to, because :effort:

From what is probably your study in Minnesota:

"Fish are easier to release, and, with less injury to both fisher, and fish than with barbed hooks. There is significant evidence among fish populations of fish with damaged mouth parts due to being caught multiple times and released."

And:

"Success rates (per cent of fish landed) are not markedly different than when fishing with barbed hooks over time."

Barbed hooks are pretty dumb when it comes to more delicate fish like trout. Also it's sort of a jerk thing to do to use a method more likely to harm a fish you may want to or have to release.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've never used anything but barbed, but then again I tend to fish for things that are a tad more durable than trout and will keep tasty stuff.

Edit: On the other hand, I do make sure to use hooks that will rust and fall out somewhat rapidly in case of a line breaking along with carrying a pair of wire cutters in case the hook winds up in an inconvenient location to extract.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 13, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Armed Neutrality posted:

From what is probably your study in Minnesota:

"Fish are easier to release, and, with less injury to both fisher, and fish than with barbed hooks. There is significant evidence among fish populations of fish with damaged mouth parts due to being caught multiple times and released."

And:

"Success rates (per cent of fish landed) are not markedly different than when fishing with barbed hooks over time."

Barbed hooks are pretty dumb when it comes to more delicate fish like trout. Also it's sort of a jerk thing to do to use a method more likely to harm a fish you may want to or have to release.

Cite it please. Because the first result from google is a pro-barbless person admitting that the study didn't show a lower mortality rate for barbless.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Learn to keep the slack off the line and you won't need barbs. Especially true for active fishing like trout.

Fishing for catfish, carp or other bottom feeders then use whatever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
"True active fishing" starting to sound like the AT martial arts thread :laugh:

Without a barb you are simply going to lose fish sometimes, no matter how :smugdog: some people claim about it, some fish fling their poo poo all over the place and most people don't get out to fish enough to have the practise to hold it that tight, and know how to position their rod, etc.. I mean sometimes how you fight a fish depends entirely on your surroundings.. I went salmon fishing with some guys who made a HUUUGE deal about shoving most of the rod under water whenever the fish came toward the boat... Because the bottom of their boat was so scarred up that it'd cut the line like a knife. Technique takes time and practise, which many people sometimes just don't have the option to get more of.

Barbs are a crutch but as someone who just spent 6 weeks unable to walk for more than 15-20 minutes unaided, there is no loving shame in using a crutch if you aren't personally up to the task (as long as you're not breaking any laws of course), no matter what reason.

LingcodKilla posted:

We can't use barbs on salmon in CA.
Oh, I had no idea, the only place I fish for salmon in CA is with my uncle on the Klamath res. It's awfully funny to have the authorities roll up while I'm fighting a fish, then I hand my uncle the rod and let him land it and grin.

From the stories of how the Smith was in my dad and uncles' time, frankly I don't give a drat to get an out of state license to join the zoo for fish that aren't really there anymore. Beautiful river though.

Dik Hz posted:

Cite it please. Because the first result from google is a pro-barbless person admitting that the study didn't show a lower mortality rate for barbless.
My gut instinct is that there probably is a higher mortality for barbed hooks vs barbless, largely due to amateur fisherpeople who don't know how to release a fish that takes a hook a couple inches into its gullet. Pun intended.

LingcodKilla posted:

They did a survey out on the west coast and it's found the number one cause for fish mortality is amount of time out of water. Minimize handling and fish extremely resistant to baratrama and damage.
People who have trouble getting the barb out of a fish' mouth are also the same ones who spend too much time with them out of water. I've got a buddy who's a like black-belt level steelhead fisherman, but when we go hit stocker trout I'm pretty sure that at least half or more of his fish go into the water stunned enough to not recover.. But I'm not going to get into an argument with a guy who I enjoy hanging out with and who calls me up to go fishing almost as often as I go out myself. :( v:shobon:v

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 15, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

"True active fishing" starting to sound like the AT martial arts thread :laugh:

Without a barb you are simply going to lose fish sometimes, no matter how :smugdog: some people claim about it, some fish fling their poo poo all over the place and most people don't get out to fish enough to have the practise to hold it that tight, and know how to position their rod, etc.. I mean sometimes how you fight a fish depends entirely on your surroundings.. I went salmon fishing with some guys who made a HUUUGE deal about shoving most of the rod under water whenever the fish came toward the boat... Because the bottom of their boat was so scarred up that it'd cut the line like a knife. Technique takes time and practise, which many people sometimes just don't have the option to get more of.

Barbs are a crutch but as someone who just spent 6 weeks unable to walk for more than 15-20 minutes unaided, there is no loving shame in using a crutch if you aren't personally up to the task (as long as you're not breaking any laws of course), no matter what reason.

Oh, I had no idea, the only place I fish for salmon in CA is with my uncle on the Klamath res. It's awfully funny to have the authorities roll up while I'm fighting a fish, then I hand my uncle the rod and let him land it and grin.

From the stories of how the Smith was in my dad and uncles' time, frankly I don't give a drat to get an out of state license to join the zoo for fish that aren't really there anymore. Beautiful river though.

My gut instinct is that there probably is a higher mortality for barbed hooks vs barbless, largely due to amateur fisherpeople who don't know how to release a fish that takes a hook a couple inches into its gullet. Pun intended.

People who have trouble getting the barb out of a fish' mouth are also the same ones who spend too much time with them out of water. I've got a buddy who's a like black-belt level steelhead fisherman, but when we go hit stocker trout I'm pretty sure that at least half or more of his fish go into the water stunned enough to not recover.. But I'm not going to get into an argument with a guy who I enjoy hanging out with and who calls me up to go fishing almost as often as I go out myself. :( v:shobon:v

Total time out of the water plus amount of slime removed from lovely handling is the killer. Infection can set in pretty quickly. Personally I've done research fishing with barbless hooks for rockfish and lingcod and it doesnt make much of a difference if you are paying attention and just start reeling in. In fact I fair hooked a 30lb ling on a barbless shrimp fly and landed her just fine.
For people who dont pay attention they are going to snag and lose gear more often and the barbs wont help anyways. Coastal shallow water drift fishing is brutal on gear.

I've seen people dig their rod deep in the water to get a salmon from under it. I've also seen the same guy lose his rod and almost go overboard when a sea lion smashed his fish. Not really a good plan. Always seemed smarter to just engage the engine at low speed to straighten out the line then throw the wheel to turn it a bit and net it along side. We gotta work fast down here to get the fish on board before we give the sea lions an easy meal.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I know you guys are talking about trout, but my biggest pet peeve with regard to fish mortality is people fishing walleye/crappie in too deep of water.

People sit in scour holes underneath dams on the Mississippi and haul in one walleye/sauger after another from like 50 feet down, they come up to the surface with their eyes popping out of their head and their air bladder in their mouth and then they throw them back because the 11-12" fish are 'too small to keep'. Bunch of idiots, most of the big fish don't sit in those holes so they just sit there and reel in 50 fish, probably killing half of them as the eagles just circle overhead.

Or in the winter, people rip crappies up from 40 foot holes and they just don't release well, so they just leave them on the ice or push them under the ice because they aren't big enough. It's one thing if you are keeping every fish you catch until you get your limit, but that's hardly ever the case. I wish there was some regulations when fishing that deep that any fish caught had to be kept and no C&R fishing allowed after you reach your limit.

As for barbs, I always crimp the barbs on my little spinners when trout fishing in SE MN, I personally feel that it DOES impact my catch rate, but it also speeds up the release quite a bit. I stopped using live bait for trout after the first time I tried in, when fishing fast water or turbulent water it's tough to set the hook fast enough for the trout not to swallow those worms. I think I probably ended up killing two trout and put the worms away :(.

My in laws have about 75 acres in SE MN and they have a creek that runs through their property with brownies in it, it's surreal to walk 1/2 mile from their front door and catch a dozen or so trout every day.

LingcodKilla posted:

I've seen people dig their rod deep in the water to get a salmon from under it. I've also seen the same guy lose his rod and almost go overboard when a sea lion smashed his fish. Not really a good plan. Always seemed smarter to just engage the engine at low speed to straighten out the line then throw the wheel to turn it a bit and net it along side. We gotta work fast down here to get the fish on board before we give the sea lions an easy meal.

My wife had a seal chase after a silver salmon she had hooked up with on the Kenai during our honeymoon. It was a pretty hectic scene, the fish had made it's way to the heaviest current in the river and it was tough to really gain any ground on it. Then the reel fell off the reel seat. Amazingly she landed it eventually, with the seal like 10 feet from our boat.

That's right, me and my wife went fishing in Alaska on our honeymoon, suck it losers.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 15, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

I know you guys are talking about trout, but my biggest pet peeve with regard to fish mortality is people fishing walleye/crappie in too deep of water.

People sit in scour holes underneath dams on the Mississippi and haul in one walleye/sauger after another from like 50 feet down, they come up to the surface with their eyes popping out of their head and their air bladder in their mouth and then they throw them back because the 11-12" fish are 'too small to keep'. Bunch of idiots, most of the big fish don't sit in those holes so they just sit there and reel in 50 fish, probably killing half of them as the eagles just circle overhead.

Or in the winter, people rip crappies up from 40 foot holes and they just don't release well, so they just leave them on the ice or push them under the ice because they aren't big enough. It's one thing if you are keeping every fish you catch until you get your limit, but that's hardly ever the case. I wish there was some regulations when fishing that deep that any fish caught had to be kept and no C&R fishing allowed after you reach your limit.

As for barbs, I always crimp the barbs on my little spinners when trout fishing in SE MN, I personally feel that it DOES impact my catch rate, but it also speeds up the release quite a bit. I stopped using live bait for trout after the first time I tried in, when fishing fast water or turbulent water it's tough to set the hook fast enough for the trout not to swallow those worms. I think I probably ended up killing two trout and put the worms away :(.

My in laws have about 75 acres in SE MN and they have a creek that runs through their property with brownies in it, it's surreal to walk 1/2 mile from their front door and catch a dozen or so trout every day.

My wife had a seal chase after a silver salmon she had hooked up with on the Kenai during our honeymoon. It was a pretty hectic scene, the fish had made it's way to the heaviest current in the river and it was tough to really gain any ground on it. Then the reel fell off the reel seat. Amazingly she landed it eventually, with the seal like 10 feet from our boat.

That's right, me and my wife went fishing in Alaska on our honeymoon, suck it losers.

There is a cheap solution to that! I tested it on rockfish in 100ft of water or so and its extremely easy to use and can either be used inline with your gear or on a separate pole.

I'll have to add a picture when I get home. Costs like $5.

I went fishing in Hawaii with my wife on our honeymoon. She caught a 30lb or so mahimahi and I fought a Marlin for an hour.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

DoctaFun posted:

I love fishing, and I'd love to salmon fish in Alaska some day, but I was sailing off the Cancun coast on my honeymoon. You suck it. :c00lbert:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DoctaFun posted:

In Western Australian and maybe some other states it is illegal be fishing in deep water without a release weight to get the fish back to the bottom quickly. It's just another thing for the fisheries officers to ask for fishermen to show them when they're doing licence checks.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
Anybody else have multiple run-ins with game wardens while out on the water? I would say half the time when I'm out on the stream/river at some point I'll get the poo poo scared out of me by a game warden sneaking up from behind to check my licenses and gear.

It always goes down the same way. They approach very sternly, hand near their gun, and ask for my fishing license etc. Once they see I actually DO have my license with all required stamps and permits they brighten right up and are as friendly as can be. From what I've been told, it's pretty rare for people to have everything together on VA's protected trout waters (you need fishing license, trout stamp, and national park permit) so coming across somebody with all their poo poo together is pretty rare.

What I think is silly is the amount of firepower these guys have on them. I understand there are bears etc, and most poachers would be armed, but do you really need two handguns, a shotty on your back, and a flak jacket to check my license?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

quote:

What I think is silly is the amount of firepower these guys have on them. I understand there are bears etc, and most poachers would be armed, but do you really need two handguns, a shotty on your back, and a flak jacket to check my license?

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/outdoors/hunting/game-warden/game-wardens-killed-on-duty-state.html

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yes?

It's big money and running across a grow is dangerous.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
My parents place on the lake is in an area REALLY popular for fishing due to the natural habitat and the game wardens love to hang out in there and check everyone. It's not bad because we talk to the guys and they know we keep our license up to date so they don't really bother us. It is pretty funny to see them pull up to a canoe with 3 people fishing out of it with no lifejackets or licenses though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

WTF BEES posted:

Anybody else have multiple run-ins with game wardens while out on the water? I would say half the time when I'm out on the stream/river at some point I'll get the poo poo scared out of me by a game warden sneaking up from behind to check my licenses and gear.

It always goes down the same way. They approach very sternly, hand near their gun, and ask for my fishing license etc. Once they see I actually DO have my license with all required stamps and permits they brighten right up and are as friendly as can be. From what I've been told, it's pretty rare for people to have everything together on VA's protected trout waters (you need fishing license, trout stamp, and national park permit) so coming across somebody with all their poo poo together is pretty rare.

I can understand for a guy who is just fishing that they might not want to come off so scary, but poachers are armed and clearly have a questionable sense of ethics. Plus, its not like a city where backup is a couple minutes away. Basically between the isolation, wildlife, and armed threats I honestly don't blame them for being armed to the teeth. And this is coming from a guy who is pretty liberal about his opinions towards police and guns in general.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, a handgun, barring a hunting one, aint going to do poo poo to a bear.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WTF BEES posted:

Yes. It's a real thing. Drunk hillbillies poaching will probably be packing and probably be super unpredictable. I can't think of a job I'd rather have and also not want due to the risk, than being a game warden.. Spending all day out on the water educating people on how to protect the environment? Awesome! Get shot in the back because some drunk/tweaking dickwad has 100+ fish in their cooler, or is killing deer/elk for their antlers and leaving the carcass, or is killing bear for their gall bladders? Not a loving chance in hell I'd risk myself for that. I mean I've personally been threatened just for posting on facebook that I think it'd be cool if there was a website where I could upload phone pics of poachers' license plates and their location... Not kidding at all.

I was born in Humboldt, where you might be out 4x4ing with your friends and come across a downed tree on a dirt road.. Everybody instantly turns off the music and stops talking, and then you hit reverse and back out the way you cam,e praying that nobody with an AK-47 is hiding in the trees and drugged out of his mind to stay awake and watch the road all night without nodding off.

LingcodKilla posted:

You don't have a monopoly on sea lions, but when there's 4 dozen boats trolling in sight of you, "just punch it and drag the fish" is not always safe... Also if you can land them fast enough, everybody can get their line back in and catch another before the school passes through. ;)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Yes. It's a real thing. Drunk hillbillies poaching will probably be packing and probably be super unpredictable. I can't think of a job I'd rather have and also not want due to the risk, than being a game warden.. Spending all day out on the water educating people on how to protect the environment? Awesome! Get shot in the back because some drunk/tweaking dickwad has 100+ fish in their cooler, or is killing deer/elk for their antlers and leaving the carcass, or is killing bear for their gall bladders? Not a loving chance in hell I'd risk myself for that. I mean I've personally been threatened just for posting on facebook that I think it'd be cool if there was a website where I could upload phone pics of poachers' license plates and their location... Not kidding at all.

I was born in Humboldt, where you might be out 4x4ing with your friends and come across a downed tree on a dirt road.. Everybody instantly turns off the music and stops talking, and then you hit reverse and back out the way you cam,e praying that nobody with an AK-47 is hiding in the trees and drugged out of his mind to stay awake and watch the road all night without nodding off.

You don't have a monopoly on sea lions, but when there's 4 dozen boats trolling in sight of you, "just punch it and drag the fish" is not always safe... Also if you can land them fast enough, everybody can get their line back in and catch another before the school passes through. ;)

The nice thing about fishing for salmon in Santa Cruz, CA is since its just a migratory pass-bye you dont get a ton of fishermen stacked on each other like the mouths of rivers. Personally I like to go reverse to bring them on board quicker.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

The nice thing about fishing for salmon in Santa Cruz, CA is since its just a migratory pass-bye you dont get a ton of fishermen stacked on each other like the mouths of rivers. Personally I like to go reverse to bring them on board quicker.
That's a blessing, check out ifish.net or hit up some of the "Northwest *" facebook sites to find out what a clusterfuck the Columbia is. People are frothing at the mouth to shoot sea lions and cormorants... And as a country-bred boy I can't even fault them entirely - I've had a 4-5am fishing expedition entirely ruined by a cormorant which decided to just dive around and suck down trout right where I showed up pre-dawn to beat the other (human) competition, and I regularly see pics of people pulling in salmon with big bites taken out - or often just a head.

Cormorants are really a problem in the PNW for real, moreso than sea lions (we don't have them just chillin' on marina docks and poo poo like they do down in crescent city etc - I don't go much farther south from Eureka/Arcata because it seems to get progressively more unpleasant down there and have less nice big pretty trees as I travel south,) though. In the city I live, they have a big man-made reservoir/lake (Fern Ridge) which actually had some kind of cormorant-control experiment a decade or two back - they managed to net and haul off a huge colony of cormorants from somewhere up on the OR/WA border and then dropped them all off in this reservoir area to eat bluegill and poo poo... Then the cormorants all flew back north within a few days, leaving an expensive man-made island which some ODFW/BLM fools had built as habitat. :byewhore:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Never had issues with cormorants but sometimes you've just got to pay the seal tax

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Never had an issue with birds. Not looking forward to that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cormorants are greathuge assholes because they know the good holes as well as people, and have no problem diving into them 15 times in 15 minutes, scaring all the fish away. It's not the fish they take (although it's hell on smolts) as much as the disturbance of this good-sized bird flopping around underwater next to your gear. They're basically penguins with bigass wings.

at least herons have the decency to wait until you throw your stunned+dying stocker trout back in the water before they swoop in

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As a Floridian the thought of sea lions attacking my catch is horrifying. Those fuckers are that fast? Dealing with sharks taking a fish is one thing but having a fairly intelligent land capable predator on the other end of the line is crazy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A full grown male sea lion can hit your poo poo so hard and fast they will bust the 100lb+ swivel in a heart beat.

A smaller sea lion generally tears the body from the head.

A harbor seal can latch on and naw on it and hope it falls off.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sea lions really are that fast. They're also way, way bigger than you imagine them being until there's one sunning himself on the dock between you and your boat. They weigh as much as a car, I bet.

Also this, hopefully it will work for more than a couple months: http://katu.com/news/local/finally-a-solution-astoria-sea-lions-petrified-of-air-dancers

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

tesilential posted:

As a Floridian the thought of sea lions attacking my catch is horrifying. Those fuckers are that fast? Dealing with sharks taking a fish is one thing but having a fairly intelligent land capable predator on the other end of the line is crazy.

Goliath grouper are the worst, especially if you are spearing. Oh, you want this tasty fish I have in my bag? Oh too bad I can't do a loving thing because you are an endangered species!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

tesilential posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MnRt67QPN8

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Well, that end a whole hell of a lot better than I thought it was going to...

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That was awesome.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Shooting sealions on anything but an industrial scale won't do poo poo about getting them away from your fish. Same with coyotes. Hell, shooting coys makes them repopulate FASTER, because they reach equilibrium with natural causes of death, but when holes open up in the population, mamma coys pop out massive litters to take advantage of the resources.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sea lions are our next renewable energy source.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ I bet they could provide a lot of oil

Suspect Bucket posted:

Shooting sealions on anything but an industrial scale won't do poo poo about getting them away from your fish. Same with coyotes. Hell, shooting coys makes them repopulate FASTER, because they reach equilibrium with natural causes of death, but when holes open up in the population, mamma coys pop out massive litters to take advantage of the resources.
As a white dude who made his spirit animal the coyote back before it wasn't cool aka back in the 1600s I will confirm that shooting or trapping or poisoning coyotes is a waste of time - they get smarter, come back stronger, and frankly they're way more adaptable than your average sheep rancher - if he's actually even losing stock to coyotes, because they mostly subsist on either smaller, or larger game, and are one of the very few mammals which can easily adapt to its surroundings and local population... They can subsist quite well solo, in a family group, or in a large pack, and they adjust their prey accordingly in nearly all instances.

The only land mammals I'm aware of which has significantly increased both population and range since euro settler colonization in north america... Are rats, and coyotes. And rats don't count because they just ride ships and end up everywhere, regardless.

/sperg

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Went fishing for smallmouth yesterday and I caught a fuckin trout!

I was on a new creek that I didn't know was stocked. We hiked down another creek to this one and the state only put signs at the parking areas, not at the trailheads. It surprised the hell out of me when I pulled him up. We were like a mile and a half from a road, just assumed he was a holdover from some old stock. But then like three casts later to the same hole I pulled another one and suspected something was up. We hiked to the road and found the stocking signs. Opps.

I cannot believe that they don't put signage up at the trailheads for the trail that parallels this creek for miles. Do that few people really hike/fish?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stocked trout usually end up as bass food so just live rig one and throw it out?
:pervert:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Stocked trout usually end up as bass food so just live rig one and throw it out?
:pervert:

I know you're joking, but that's illegal in a lot of states I believe (in case anyone got any ideas)

Also, Got my license yesterday, so I'm going to the river today. I won't catch poo poo, it's 30F, and it was snowing an hour ago, but that's okay. I've been caged up too long. You can't tame this tiger.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well not about them turning up as bass chow but otherwise yeah using game fish as bait is illegal.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I'm back form the river. I got skunkarood. I got some awesome drifts by 2 structures (a boulder, and a fallen tree, with the roots making a nice deep calmer pool). I think there were no fish in the spot, but who knows, maybe they were too cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Another fine day of angler education. Half of these kids never fished before, they were pulling up bluegills with bamboo poles :3

https://imgur.com/bmvlHJZ