Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably not. Broadcast TV is compressed to hell anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I posted this in the Video Questions thread, before realizing that thread hadn't been touched since April. So I'll just repost it here:

I have Time Warner for my TV, and I recently got annoyed with my 7 year old cable box being noisy and hot even while turned off. They said there is a "greener" box, but it doesn't have HDMI. Aside from the fact that I'm baffled as to why my options are either HDMI or electricity hog in the goddamn year 2014, Component cable aren't going to give me any worse of a signal for regular HD TV viewing, right?

Surely Time Warner isn't still giving out boxes from 2007? I can't believe they don't have a new tiny box like every other cable company.

But yeah, component is fine for cable. I actually hook up with component just to free up an HDMI port on my TV.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

wa27 posted:

Surely Time Warner isn't still giving out boxes from 2007? I can't believe they don't have a new tiny box like every other cable company.

But yeah, component is fine for cable. I actually hook up with component just to free up an HDMI port on my TV.

Well, my parents have had the box since like 2007 or so, and my choice was either stick with it or use the newer HDMI-less box. So I don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well, my parents have had the box since like 2007 or so, and my choice was either stick with it or use the newer HDMI-less box. So I don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

In that case I can't believe they don't have a new box with HDMI. It makes me think the rep you talked to was just confused.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

wa27 posted:

In that case I can't believe they don't have a new box with HDMI. It makes me think the rep you talked to was just confused.

I'll talk to them again in the morning to see whats up, because yeah it baffled me too. Though being TWC that level of incompetency wouldn't shock me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Was browsing Future Shop (Canada's Best Buy) and noticed they have a $40,000 TV for sale. Holy Moley

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...9b33b5d7bd5en02

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
About to pull the trigger on this Samsung

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50EH6000-50-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0074FGW5G/ref=pd_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=15KZ1QQKGYEM1Y65YWXK

Any reason not to? Anywhere I should try to get it cheaper?

Going to basically be used with a Chromecast and a PS4, and not much else.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Gyshall posted:

About to pull the trigger on this Samsung

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50EH6000-50-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0074FGW5G/ref=pd_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=15KZ1QQKGYEM1Y65YWXK

Any reason not to? Anywhere I should try to get it cheaper?

Going to basically be used with a Chromecast and a PS4, and not much else.

Not exactly sure but I think this one(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074FGLUM) is just a newer/more featured version of that exact TV. It's also a few bucks cheaper currently.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just going to throw this out there

I bought an LG 47LA6200 LED TV about a year ago. Last week I started getting horizontal black bars across the entire screen. The repair company they sent out is fixing it, but the guy that came to my house told me that it is a known issue with the model and he sees it a lot. Basically that if they sell the same model at Walmart, don't buy it from LG.

They are going to essentially replace the entire screen, with it being a ticking time bomb until it breaks again. The repair would have cost me double the price of the TV out of warranty.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Phone posted:

I'm finding 60" and 65" Sharp TVs for around $1k, does anyone have feedback on Sharp sets?

My parents have owned the Sharp 60" non-3D for about a year now. It's $999 at best buy at the moment. It's a great set, plenty of inputs, and the picture and colors look really good. Overall great TV. Couldn't tell you how it's like mounted as they kept it on its stand.

Speaking of Sharp, they brought out newer budget models. I really want their 39" set, it weighs practically nothing compared to other sets around that size and budget. I'm one to move around the set a lot, so it being so light kinda drew my attention to it.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 5, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

100% Dundee posted:

Not exactly sure but I think this one(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074FGLUM) is just a newer/more featured version of that exact TV. It's also a few bucks cheaper currently.

They're both E models so that means same generation.

Besides Smart and its associated features (web browsing, wifi) the 5300 also has 1 more HDMI port than the 6000. At the lower price it's the better buy because the Smart features don't hurt it at all.

Who knows why the higher number is the 'worse' model.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So, there's a sale tomorrow. Is the Sony KDL-50W805 a good investment? I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a B at the end of the model name, might be a typo on the store's behalf. It's for movies and a 360 primarily.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Who knows why the higher number is the 'worse' model.

The only thing that looks better from the little chart they have is the refresh rate, I think the 5300 is 120hz whereas the 6000 is 240hz. Not sure if that's actually going to make any noticeable difference, but on the other hand the price dropped on the 6000 model so its now about $80 cheaper. Might be the better buy at that price if you don't need the smart features.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 6, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

100% Dundee posted:

The only thing that looks better from the little chart they have is the refresh rate, I think the 5300 is 120hz whereas the 6000 is 240hz. Not sure if that's actually going to make any noticeable difference, but on the other hand the price dropped on the 6000 model so its now about $80 cheaper. Might be the better buy at that price if you don't need the smart features.

The 6000 is 120Hz but not 3D, so that's useless unless you like the soap opera effect.

They say 120/240 because of Clear Motion Rate which is just a backlight blinking thing that (badly) fakes double the refresh rate. The actual panels are 60 and 120.

SplitSoul posted:

So, there's a sale tomorrow. Is the Sony KDL-50W805 a good investment? I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a B at the end of the model name, might be a typo on the store's behalf. It's for movies and a 360 primarily.

The B means 2014. W805A is 2013.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 6, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

The 6000 is 120Hz but not 3D, so that's useless unless you like the soap opera effect.

Or you know watch bluray.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said he has a PS4, so he can't really do much of that.

(I didn't notice he mentioned anything but the Chromecast originally.)

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
What's the deal with TV's under 32" with built-in smart features like Netflix or wi-fi ready not having digital audio out?

It means that no matter what you have to use the cheap built-in speakers. I would love to create a petite netflix TV station with a small TV and small soundbar near my PC but it probably wont be happening

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Basket of Kittens posted:

What's the deal with TV's under 32" with built-in smart features like Netflix or wi-fi ready not having digital audio out?

It means that no matter what you have to use the cheap built-in speakers. I would love to create a petite netflix TV station with a small TV and small soundbar near my PC but it probably wont be happening

You could do the poverty-spec solution that I have on my bedroom TV! Those low-end TVs usually have analog audio out, which you can run to a T-amp and some speakers. I have this in my bedroom and it sounds way better than it has any business to:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RMPHMU
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049P6OTI

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande

Twerk from Home posted:

You could do the poverty-spec solution that I have on my bedroom TV! Those low-end TVs usually have analog audio out, which you can run to a T-amp and some speakers. I have this in my bedroom and it sounds way better than it has any business to:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RMPHMU
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049P6OTI

I do have the hardware for that, still bulkier than a soundbar, but if this doesn't work out I'd consider your idea and find a way to make more room

But unfortunately the new Vizio smart TV doesn't even appear to have analog out, just in, and it otherwise seems to be "the" small smart TV option for 2014

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E241i-B...s=vizio+24+inch

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I do have the hardware for that, still bulkier than a soundbar, but if this doesn't work out I'd consider your idea and find a way to make more room

But unfortunately the new Vizio smart TV doesn't even appear to have analog out, just in, and it otherwise seems to be "the" small smart TV option for 2014

According to Vizio, one of those 3.5mm jacks is analog audio out: http://store.vizio.com/e241ib1.html

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

I think that TV has digital audio out via HDMI/ARC. So connecting to a soundbar via HDMI should work.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally pulled the trigger after months of humming and hawing

65" Samsung UN65H7150. $700 off in :canada: right now

Couldn't be happier. Exceeded expectations. Even the Smart TV stuff isn't garbage!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
You took your picture a little bit early.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fuckin' Woody Harrelson, man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a TV screen actually look clear like that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a TV screen actually look clear like that.

That was just an ad on regular HD cable taken with a phone camera. It's really incredible in person with any new footage. Pre-1080p standard video looks like garbage though all blown up.

Suddenly I'm way better at Battlefield 4 too. I see any movement immediately.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande

Dr Tran posted:

I think that TV has digital audio out via HDMI/ARC. So connecting to a soundbar via HDMI should work.

Checked the online manual pdf, it can.

Shame as the cheapest small (good) soundbase option is the ZVOX 220 which is optical only, and would require, at cheapest a 39 dollar hdmi-optical converter. I guess I'll call it off and just hope the TV's speakers are good, unlike the trash ones on my 2009 era 19" vizio

ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

Yes, I'm an economical Planters. Don't you dare eat me.
Hello everyone,
I'm in the market for a 50" to 60" TV in my condo so couch will be relatively near from the screen. I'm was going to buy an LED but the more and more I read I'm tempted to buy a Plasma. I went to them in stores and Plasma looks definitely nice than LED.

Two things I'm concerned about Plasma:
- My living room has a lot of sunlight
- I'm worried of screen burns, my wife might forget it powered on (but from OP, this is not an issue anymore)

I might play games on it (but rarely)

It doesn't have to be SMART, I can purchase a Chromecast. I really don't care about 3D.

My budget is around 1000$, I'm in Canada
Which TV would you suggest?

Thanks!

ecoplan fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 8, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Don't use store displays as any sort of metric.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The Kuro thread on AVSforums is pretty much only pictures of TV's that look like blu-ray screenshots with a tv bezel.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Impulse bought an E-550i-B2 to replace an ancient 42 inch monitor in my living room. Got it for 600 and frankly it has no business looking as good as it does for the price.

Next to my ST series Panny it does come up short but nowhere near as far as it should.
The set is very much worthwhile but does have a few flaws:

-Dim panel back light creates contrast issues, but does create surprisingly stark, inky blacks. Expect your fps hud elements to appear gray which isn't really ideal with the aforementioned contrast.
-Contrast can create a lack of color saturation in some scenes, specifically blues tend to gray.
-Insanely minor motion blur in fast moving scenes and games.
-Stand is poo poo, remote feels cheap.

Used Katz settings for calibration and found them mostly accurate for a moderately lit room. I did turn down the back light (80) to try and compensate for the lack of a gamma adjustment feature and found it did return some punch to the cooler colors without having to further crank the contrast.

All in all I'm satisfied and pleasantly surprised with a set from a brand I've spent the better part of a decade scoffing at. I use the set for gaming and general use if anyone has any questions I can do my best to answer.

As a final note I don't use the Panny for anything but movies since IR is very much a thing still well into the 400 or so hours the set has been on. It's minor and I've seen worse, but it is still a thing that it does.

nuclear_cheetos fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 9, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I notice that there are mounts that say "up to 40something inches" but which support weights greater than what a bigger TV might weigh. Are there other structural factors which would be of concern, or is the manufacturer basically estimating how heavy a given size of TV is basically going to be?

Basically I'd like to use something like this mount with the E-550i-B2, since the E-550i is just over 24 pounds without the stand.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I notice that there are mounts that say "up to 40something inches" but which support weights greater than what a bigger TV might weigh. Are there other structural factors which would be of concern, or is the manufacturer basically estimating how heavy a given size of TV is basically going to be?

Basically I'd like to use something like this mount with the E-550i-B2, since the E-550i is just over 24 pounds without the stand.

Center of gravity?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just got a Vizio e480i-b2 and it's extremely unresponsive to remote functions. Like arrowing up and down in menus, adjusting volume, and changing inputs. I know smart tvs have notoriously lovely interfaces but shouldn't it be able to do basic functions without hitching?

Using different remotes doesn't help and nothing is blocking the sensor.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
Do any of you think the new Panasonic AS800 series is worth the price? I'm looking for a new TV and I want something high end.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Impulse bought an E-550i-B2 to replace an ancient 42 inch monitor in my living room. Got it for 600 and frankly it has no business looking as good as it does for the price.

Next to my ST series Panny it does come up short but nowhere near as far as it should.
The set is very much worthwhile but does have a few flaws:

-Dim panel back light creates contrast issues, but does create surprisingly stark, inky blacks. Expect your fps hud elements to appear gray which isn't really ideal with the aforementioned contrast.
-Contrast can create a lack of color saturation in some scenes, specifically blues tend to gray.
-Insanely minor motion blur in fast moving scenes and games.
-Stand is poo poo, remote feels cheap.

Used Katz settings for calibration and found them mostly accurate for a moderately lit room. I did turn down the back light (80) to try and compensate for the lack of a gamma adjustment feature and found it did return some punch to the cooler colors without having to further crank the contrast.

All in all I'm satisfied and pleasantly surprised with a set from a brand I've spent the better part of a decade scoffing at. I use the set for gaming and general use if anyone has any questions I can do my best to answer.

As a final note I don't use the Panny for anything but movies since IR is very much a thing still well into the 400 or so hours the set has been on. It's minor and I've seen worse, but it is still a thing that it does.

If I'm looking for a TV primarily for gaming and streaming with an upper price limit of $1000, can I do any better than this one? I could maybe sneak up another $50 or $100 bucks, but that'd be pushing it, and the value here seems really good. I'm just afraid of the soap opera effect, and wouldn't mind spending a bit more to have the option to toggle it off. Would it be particularly noticeable if I'm watching TV shows through Netflix or HBO Go?

motherbox fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 10, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

cosmo321 posted:

Do any of you think the new Panasonic AS800 series is worth the price? I'm looking for a new TV and I want something high end.

Here's a general rule of thumb for 2014.

There's no such thing as a high end 1080p LCD. All the manufacturers moved their high end tech to 4k models.

Panasonic LCDs have traditionally been terrible. They are talking a big game on their AX800 4k model which actually does seem to have impressive performance, though possibly not as good as their claims. I see that the AS800 has an IPS panel so it's viewing angles might be slightly better than normal, but black levels are likely going to be really lacking even for an LCD.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can anything play 4k yet?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aphrodite posted:

Can anything play 4k yet?

A few proprietary players and the netflix app of select 2014 TVs. That's it.

Not that there's really any content for them TO play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
The $999 Vizio 4K models looked promising at CES but last I checked their shipping dates slipped to "later this year" which probably means they're just hoping to not miss the holiday season.

Is there even going to be cable-TV 4k any time soon? When I can watch sports in 4K, it'll be worth it...