Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

This mindblowingly bad and stupid. Like, this is a step back in literally every single possible way. Why, like, loving why would they remove these things, I don't remotely comprehend. There's no possible argument for removing those things.

The argument is that they wanted full feature parity when paired with iOS devices.

That doesn't change it being mindblowingly bad and stupid, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh what the gently caress, did they remove notification peeking as well?!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Re: gestures. 70% of the time, cycling through cards up and down with gestures works. 30%, it goes away for no reason and stays gone for a while, then returns. They're on and the tutorial still exists, so not intentionally removed. LG Urbane (1st).

Also, my charger is getting harder and harder to get to connect. Increasingly leaning towards abandoning wear once this one dies, if not sooner.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

This mindblowingly bad and stupid. Like, this is a step back in literally every single possible way. Why, like, loving why would they remove these things, I don't remotely comprehend. There's no possible argument for removing those things.

Did you not read my rant when I got it?

You're right though, it's so terrible in so many ways that it's legitimately amazing that it got out the door. You expect this kind of software from Microsoft where every group is in constant warfare with each other and sabotaging any group's project you can is incentivized behavior. Wear 2.0 isn't like that at all though, there are no good ideas and no good execution anywhere. It was bad at its conception.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Did you not read my rant when I got it?

You're right though, it's so terrible in so many ways that it's legitimately amazing that it got out the door. You expect this kind of software from Microsoft where every group is in constant warfare with each other and sabotaging any group's project you can is incentivized behavior. Wear 2.0 isn't like that at all though, there are no good ideas and no good execution anywhere. It was bad at its conception.

Hah, I missed your post. Seriously, it's so bad, there's nothing redeemable or good about this. I tried googling some of these issues and there's assholes on reddit actually defending this trash, and smugly telling complaining users "it's really good actually"

I'm going to try to figure out how to go back to 1.5 on my ZW3, hmmmm

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rastor posted:

The argument is that they wanted full feature parity when paired with iOS devices.

That doesn't change it being mindblowingly bad and stupid, of course.

They wanted feature parity so they removed the poo poo ios couldn't do? lmao

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

They wanted feature parity so they removed the poo poo ios couldn't do? lmao

That's exactly what happened. I'm sure if they thought they could've gotten away with removing custom watchfaces they would have.

All in the name of the absolute worst idea ever which was the app store specifically for the watch. Such a monumentally terrible idea just as a concept that you have to wonder how it got out of the planning stage.

I would love to meet someone who genuinely prefers Wear 2.0 to 1.5.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having no luck finding a way to flash a downgrade to 1.5 on my ZW3 :( 2.0 is genuinely one of the worst OSes I've ever used, this is horrible.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I like 2 more than 1.5 on my Huawei watch with ios but that's mostly because 1.5 was totally useless with it.

Now it's only mostly useless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iajanus posted:

I like 2 more than 1.5 on my Huawei watch with ios but that's mostly because 1.5 was totally useless with it.

Now it's only mostly useless.

Hey look it's the literally one person Wear 2.0 exists for.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
This might be a question for the general wearable thread, but what alternatives are there for a smart watch on Android that doesn't suck now?

What I want:

Battery that can last a full day between charging
Fitness tracking
GPS would be nice for fitness tracking but not a deal breaker
Show notifications and calendar reminders
reply to messages (namely hangouts) using voice
Looks passably like a normal watch, or at least isn't incredibly huge or ugly.
Isn't a pile of lovely UI and UX choices.

Is there such a thing?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Endless Mike posted:

Fight me.

Edit: I misunderstood "exists for". Preserving my shame for all to see.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

:yeah:
I'm special!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't think I HATED 2.0 but I also caught myself looking at hybrid smartwatches earlier today. I may need a less glowy watch for work.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I know Im probably the only one in the world but as an iOS Android Wear user Im pretty drat happy with 2.0

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Of course you are, they dumbed the whole thing down apparently so it would work better with iOS, consequently it's a loving awful experience for Android users coming from 1.5.

(I apologize for being a little mean but this is to the point of making me not want an AW smartwatch again, good job Google)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah it was rough going from Android to iOS and itd sure be frustrating to see those kind of regressions between 1.5 and 2.0

Im just happy I can use a decent watch face again (and even edit it to some extent using that ridiculous onscreen keyboard)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My biggest frustration with using AW with iOS is my Fit data being marooned on my watch. The stupid app knows what account it's connected to, but the only way to sync it is with the app on the phone and Google helpfully doesn't have one for iOS. As such, even though it says "Syncing" when you open it it's doing nothing :(.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Of course you are, they dumbed the whole thing down apparently so it would work better with iOS, consequently it's a loving awful experience for Android users coming from 1.5.

(I apologize for being a little mean but this is to the point of making me not want an AW smartwatch again, good job Google)

You're definitely right though, there's no way I'd consider a Wear watch with this software. The only people who could be happy with this are users who hadn't used it when it was good.

At least iOS users finally have a watch since there are no smartwatches available for iOS devices at all. It was definitely worth abandoning Android entirely to service that market because I've read that iPhone users are actually more likely than Android to want and own a smartwatch!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think I just jumped ship - AW watches were just a bit too small for me. :/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Holy gently caress that's big

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Cool man child watch

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
I really don't have an issue with AW2 on my Huawei Watch. Suits my needs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't like the notifications on AW2 nor side swiping becoming the watchface switcher, but the native complication support and better app model balance it out.

I see it as like Windows 8.1 > Windows 10, it's a net improvement but there are some parts I'd really like the old way back.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Think I'm gonna hang onto my Android Wear 1.x device as long as I can, maybe evaluate AW 3.0 or something

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My girlfriend who is not a nerd got Wear 2.0 on her ZenWatch 2 last week. She said, "I think something's wrong, itt never tells me anything anymore. I never get notifications for anything and I can't glance down while driving to see new messages."

I was like, "Yeah, that's all by design."

"Oh, so now it's just a bad ugly watch, got it."

In other Wear 2.0 crap, has anyone else noticed just how often things go weird with theirs now or is it just me? My girlfriend has taken hers off the charger twice now and the colors were inverted (tapping the screen fixed it). I set mine on the charger yesterday and the charging ring didn't appear, just the desk clock. Often it won't even bring up the desk clock at all, it just sits there looking like a watch. Reseating it always fixes it but it does weird poo poo constantly now.

Also to anyone who cares, Pujie Black had an update which allows you to use unread notifications and total notifications as Live Text so now at least it's possible to see if notifications are pending even if you can't view them without action.

I hate this loving watch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On top of that, my battery life with 2.0 on my ZW3 is awful. I'm almost done with this watch, not even going to get another Android watch. Good job Google.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

On top of that, my battery life with 2.0 on my ZW3 is awful. I'm almost done with this watch, not even going to get another Android watch. Good job Google.

Oh yeah, my life is about half of what it was on 1.5. I used to finish the day, every day, at 70%+. Now I'm lucky to see 40%. I figured that was just par for the course.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Oh yeah, my life is about half of what it was on 1.5. I used to finish the day, every day, at 70%+. Now I'm lucky to see 40%. I figured that was just par for the course.

Yeah, my ZW3 is either at <25% or dead at the end of a normal day now, where I used to finish at 50-60%. This is honestly hilarious how bad it is, literally nothing about it is good. I'm still hunting for a way to go back to 1.5 on the ZW3, so if any of you spot anything let me know. If I can't do that I think it's time to stop using this now-worthless device until it either improves or I give up on smartwatches entirely.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, my ZW3 is either at <25% or dead at the end of a normal day now, where I used to finish at 50-60%. This is honestly hilarious how bad it is, literally nothing about it is good. I'm still hunting for a way to go back to 1.5 on the ZW3, so if any of you spot anything let me know. If I can't do that I think it's time to stop using this now-worthless device until it either improves or I give up on smartwatches entirely.

I'm sorry but I can't even look as the Moto 360 has no interface through which I could update or change the software even if I wanted to.

I'm going to keep using mine because a) I wear watches anyway b) Who knows, they might improve it (LOL NO) and c) because I do genuinely like the way the 360/2 looks and it's hard to find really simply styled watches.

It is a giant pile of poo poo though and I was actually thinking of trying out Blue Train's suggestion of a lovely Chinawatch for notifications but I'll wait until the need becomes pressing. That Pujie Black addition has at least made me aware of notifications even if it can't show them to me so it's better than nothing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm the same with the ZW3, I really like the way it looks and up until now, it's been pretty useful and handy to have. If it's to the point now though, of not even being able to make it through a day without the battery dying, it's completely worthless :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My ZW2 continues to look like hot garbage so it doesnt even have that going for it.

Seems smart watches are dead, for me the Apple Watch is even worse

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, I can't stand iOS and the Apple Watch looks like total garbage so that's definitely out, I'm seeing the end of smartwatches (for me, for now) as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Not that I'd ever buy one, but the UI conventions and usage paradigm of the Samsung Gear aren't bad. Sure you know it's coded terribly and there will never be any apps you'd want and you're at the mercy of Samsung to create something stylish but the bezel turning to scroll is sensible and its purpose seems clear.

The fact that the primary advantage that Samsung has over Google in this area is "They can tell you why it exists" says all you need to know about Android Wear.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would totally get a Gear S3 but my primary phone isn't a Samsung (as you all know) and I've read it doesn't play nice with non-Samaung apps.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would totally get a Gear S3 but my primary phone isn't a Samsung (as you all know) and I've read it doesn't play nice with non-Samaung apps.

It works just fine without Samsung apps. I don't use Samsung's SMS app, and I can reply via the Android Messages app or Allo just fine. Gmail works, as do a ton of other apps. And I get 3-4 days of battery out of it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

The S3 may be the least bad option now. I think it may be particularly not-bad if your usage is mostly notifications rather than apps?

TBH, I've went without a smart watch since my OG Moto 360 died and I'm really on the fence about whether I'll even get another.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It works just fine without Samsung apps. I don't use Samsung's SMS app, and I can reply via the Android Messages app or Allo just fine. Gmail works, as do a ton of other apps. And I get 3-4 days of battery out of it.

The thing I use my watch for the most is Authenticator+ and I'm pretty sure there's no solution for that on Gear.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Yeah, that was a big part of my usage as well and the main reason I didn't just jump on an S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I've not used AW much but I just tested the notification stuff by sending him a text and it seems to work pretty well? The thing popped up full screen and easy to read. There's a lil notification dot at the bottom that tells you if you missed/unread notifications so you just swipe up and see them full screen there as well. Is this somehow a step back?