Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TCat posted:

I feel like the jumps in power levels weren't really as much as people think they are and all the numbers thrown around during the Saiyan and Frieza Saga confused peoples ideas.
Wasn't that supposed to be the entire point of power levels - that trying to quantify people's strength through explicit numerical values straight up doesn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

KennyMan666 posted:

Wasn't that supposed to be the entire point of power levels - that trying to quantify people's strength through explicit numerical values straight up doesn't work?

Kind of yes, but actually it seemed to be working just fine until Raditz got to Earth. Apparently Earthlings are the only ones to have worked out how to focus their power into stuff like Kamehamehas instead of just radiating it all over the place, so Raditz gets surprised by how much Piccolo and Goku's power levels fluctuate depending on what they're doing. And that's not even taking into account techniques that straight out change your power level, like Kaioken. In the greater space, apparently you stay at one power level unless you slowly grind your way up through training or have a transformation.

Toriyama isn't really known for consistently sticking to ideas, but I always liked to think that Vegeta's full-body bright aura when he uses Galick Gun is supposed to be a representation of that inefficiency.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Toriyama did have tells for what constitutes an efficient use of energy. The efficiency of whatever goes on in the series, is generally determined by the ease of using it, and how fast you can use it. If you are charging up and the terrain is exploding around you, that is considered a wasteful use of energy. If the whole world is shaking, you are really inexperienced at adapting to that level, compared to changing your power in an instant at lower levels. Special Beam Cannon started out as a new move and it took minutes to work. One fight later and Piccolo is tossing it around like it was nothing and it was much stronger through a more efficient use of energy. Transformations work the same way.
Thanks, Toriyama, for making hours of constipation noises, be a physical tell for extensive exertions on the body.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 16, 2016

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Find them dragonballs! Looking for 'em all! Also I've finished recording the rest of the game as well as commentary. So expect rapid fire updates soon.

Part 12 /w Star Man, Neo Shinryu, and Heavy Sigh

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 10, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Dragon! Dragon!

Ho!

Dragon!

Dragon Ball Z!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Tao Pai Pai was never a General, he has been called Mercenary Tao in the Funimation dub, and that was awkward. That must have been from the Ocean days. That is really lazy of Funimation.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm guessing that's a hold over from the Harmony Gold Dub of one of the Dragonball movies.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So that's what it was! They called him General Tao in BT3 too at times.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Did I say rapid fire updates? I meant slow as hell cause I'm super lazy. At least the next update will be the last one.

Part 13 /w Star Man, Neo Shinryu, and Heavy Sigh

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe Red Ribbon would have had better success if they used all their robots to attack their only competitor. Not like an army wishing to rule the world would care about the police. Maybe the manga had a reason for that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think it's nice that Piccolo's statue is in the same pose he took to save Gohan from Nappa. It's a nice call-back!

What isn't nice is how lazy Cooler's fight is, wow. Not only is there no base Cooler at all, it has no plot relevance, no ending dialogue, not even Death Beams or a Supernova. Lame.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, that was amazingly lame and lazy.

So the whole "Goku is barely in Legacy of Goku 2" joke just got to me because... isn't Gohan Goku's legacy?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That would be Goten, because Gohan is a disappointment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Scalding Coffee posted:

That would be Goten, because Gohan is a disappointment.

Gohan contributed to the plot tho.

Gotten don't got that.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Is it possible to have Goku fight Cooler though, since you're allowed to change characters on New Namek somehow?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Daigerus posted:

Is it possible to have Goku fight Cooler though, since you're allowed to change characters on New Namek somehow?

Yeah, though I don't imagine there being much of a difference other than a slight change in dialog

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Trunks is the best option, since he says something like "figured you'd wanna fight me instead, since I killed your bro and dad".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I barely remember Super 17. What was wrong with him?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

People really disliked the idea of an old enemy escaping Hell, getting way way waaaaay stronger with an ugly-rear end new form, and beating the poo poo out of the assembled cast effortlessly until Goku showed up with his new form.

*cough*

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Combat Lobster posted:

Yeah, though I don't imagine there being much of a difference other than a slight change in dialog

I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly he's actually weaker if you fight as Goku, getting a strength buff in his anger if you use anyone else. I don't remember where I read that though, so it could be total BS.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He lasted five episodes, his arc was unoriginal even by GT standards (being a complete copy of Fusion Reborn + a rehashed enemy from the Cell Saga) and blatantly rushed (as GT was meant to end on Baby, and was suddenly forced to continue in order to sell Final Bout, which as the thread itself showed wasn't exactly a great thing itself), and it started the really weird trend in GT where Goku's Super Saiyan 4 form is mostly useless but his base kid form is amazingly powerful and can beat every villain,..somehow.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Byzantine posted:

People really disliked the idea of an old enemy escaping Hell, getting way way waaaaay stronger with an ugly-rear end new form, and beating the poo poo out of the assembled cast effortlessly until Goku showed up with his new form.

*cough*

In fairness at least Frieza's selling point wasn't "look at me I'm a rejected JoJo design" and both new forms had an applicable weakness.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A channel I follow on Youtube added some videos about Taiketsu, a GBA game made by Webfoot, the guys behind the masterpiece that is the Legacy of Goku series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-CNf7YxLqA

Holy poo poo this game looks and plays terrible.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

It's finally over. Thanks for watching!

Part 14 /w Star Man, Neo Shinryu, and Heavy Sigh
Part 15 /w Satan Man, Neo Satan, and Heavy Satan

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was about to say that this game had surprisingly adapted really well the last part of the Cell fight, with everyone shooting him and even Vegeta's attack...but they couldn't be arsed to have the Father-Son Kamehameha, one of the most iconic moments of the show? It wouldn't even be hard, just have Goku's Kamehameha sprite there. Very lazy, even lazier than having Gohan in his armour instead of Piccolo's clothes for some reason.

The rest wasn't adapted nearly as well of course, with far less Cell Jrs. (although making the rest be able to kill them was nice from a gameplay perspective), small energy balls being every attack, and a crapton of dialogue that wasn't in the series. Was it in the editted dub? Because god that's a lot of pointless dialogue. Vegeta's especially, considering he managed to show more emotion and growth with far less words.

Also it's fitting that you uploaded the last episode of the Cell Saga on the very same day Future Trunks, the best character, has finally come back to the anime. Kami bless Toriyama.

And Dragon Ball must be the only series where people can chant SATAN! and not be evil.

EDIT: I think it's unfitting to end this without showing the European box for this game. Look at this, and tell me just how much is wrong in it.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 12, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your videos are quite good at crashing the audio of my player and right when Cell blew up the arena.
I would like to play as the Cell in a future game. Why be any less perfect?

Hail Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Wow....

That cover.

Did they like accidentally get the cover for game #3 or something :downs:

• Locked thread