Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Grundulum posted:

I do not agree with the above advice. Get the 50-gem Dwarven armor first. Then start saving for the Dragon Armor. The boost to gold helps tremendously with getting your kingdom levels up while you accumulate the 500 gems needed for Dragon.

I agree that you should save glory for one or more troop packs a week; now that you are in a guild you should basically never buy glory keys again.

That's probably fine, seeing as free poo poo will come fast and furious once you goon up.

Also ffs never buy maps; you will end up with more maps than you will ever care to finish, and PVP is where it's at anyway for getting stuff.

E: case in point, I have 203 maps and there's no loving way I'm doing all those

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Definitely buy the Dwarven armor and then save up for Dragon armor.

And as far as guild tasks go, souls are an even bigger waste than maps. You can get 70 souls a fight with Valkyrie and Dragon armor.

Tokens are the least expensive waste of a task, so you should spend gold on Gems and Keys and then Tokens to cycle back to Gem and Keys faster.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

duckfarts posted:

ffs never buy maps

This is true, you WILL end up with a hundred of them from the guild eventually (I don't find maps the best tasks but there's always a few guildies grabbing them).

In the beginning maps can be nice for a good mix of useful resources though. But you can get Tyri from completing all the quests in Zhul'Kari and play some games with her to get some maps. You can grind em out very fast, you'll spend less time getting more maps than playing the maps.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Griefor posted:

This is true, you WILL end up with a hundred of them from the guild eventually (I don't find maps the best tasks but there's always a few guildies grabbing them).

In the beginning maps can be nice for a good mix of useful resources though. But you can get Tyri from completing all the quests in Zhul'Kari and play some games with her to get some maps. You can grind em out very fast, you'll spend less time getting more maps than playing the maps.

I never fund maps - And I also find the task of doing the map, and the 'game' of the maps tedious. I have over 300 maps. Every now and then I run a map, just to punish myself.

Now ask me about spending 900 diamonds and still not having Kos, Bone Dragon, Infernal King or Sheggra. Bah. I am grumpy.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm saving my gems for event chests for the foreseeable future and waiting for an event in the kingdom of Legendaries I'm still lacking. I'm sick of getting the same stuff over and over from gem keys.

Upcoming events appear to be Drifting Sands and Khetar by the way. So if you are lacking Great Maw and Keeper of Souls like me it might be a good idea to save your gems.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
What's the drop rate on those event chests like? How many gems should I be saving up to statistically get a legendary from those kingdoms? Still missing Maw.

Also I skipped the 50 gem armor in the beginning and it's totally doable, and I like efficiency. But either way is fine.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

It's the same rate as gem chests (something like 3 to 5% per key), but any legendary is guaranteed to be from that kingdom. You have a pretty good shot and getting one in a 50 chest bundle , which is 675 gems. I'm trying to save up enough for two 50 chest bundles. If I don't get it in that many event keys, then it wasn't meant to be.

I think buying the cheap +50% gold armor first makes early life easier, but now that battles don't cost gold anymore it may not be as big a deal. Either way is fine. Gems are flowing pretty quickly in the guild these days, so it might only take a newbie a few weeks to save 500.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
The news in-game says Pestilence is exclusive to Glory, Gem, and VIP chests for one week only. Does that mean if I don't get lucky this week, I'll never get him?

I plopped down my 450 gems, but didn't get one.

I've been beating my thumbs against Zaejin (in PVP and Challenges) trying to get an Arcane Forest trait stone to get the third trait of Soothsayer. I finally unlocked the Fast trait for the Archer class. Then I can be a real trait stone farmer! Sort of. I ascended my Soothsayer, so I only have two copies of him at the moment.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

gromdul posted:

The news in-game says Pestilence is exclusive to Glory, Gem, and VIP chests for one week only. Does that mean if I don't get lucky this week, I'll never get him?

I plopped down my 450 gems, but didn't get one.

I've been beating my thumbs against Zaejin (in PVP and Challenges) trying to get an Arcane Forest trait stone to get the third trait of Soothsayer. I finally unlocked the Fast trait for the Archer class. Then I can be a real trait stone farmer! Sort of. I ascended my Soothsayer, so I only have two copies of him at the moment.

I had enough for a 10 pull on the VIP chests and decided to try it out. No Pestilence but I did get 5 legendary units and a bunch of arcane stones.

Honestly I might switch to VIP chests for a bit from gem chests since 5 legendaries for about the price of a 50 gem chest pull is not a bad deal.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

gromdul posted:

Nah, it's just a weird way of saying that they temporarily removed War so that if you pull a Mythic this week it's guaranteed to be Pestilence. You can still get him later, it's just going to be half as likely since when you get a Mythic you'll have a 50% chance of getting War instead.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've played a fair amount more than usual this week trying to bank some extra gems. 4700 points is still only good for about 12,000th place. Seriously these brackets are too small.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Bandire posted:

Definitely buy the Dwarven armor and then save up for Dragon armor.

And as far as guild tasks go, souls are an even bigger waste than maps. You can get 70 souls a fight with Valkyrie and Dragon armor.

Tokens are the least expensive waste of a task, so you should spend gold on Gems and Keys and then Tokens to cycle back to Gem and Keys faster.

I've got a Valkyrie but not much of a team to take advantage of her, or souls to level her up - what's the best way to get souls really early? I've unlocked two classes but can't even begin to level them up because my minions are still all underleveled.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

I've got a Valkyrie but not much of a team to take advantage of her, or souls to level her up - what's the best way to get souls really early? I've unlocked two classes but can't even begin to level them up because my minions are still all underleveled.

Arena is great for souls early on. You don't have to worry about what level your troops are, because everything is set at level 15. You might suffer a bit from lack of hero weapons, but in theory you're being pitted against people roughly your level, who should be equally restricted.

As for teams that work well with Valkyrie, the classic recommendation is Treant/Alchemist/Valkyrie/Banshee. All of these are rare or ultra-rare, so they aren't hard to come by. And they chain really well into each other -- I have had matches where the AI never got a turn.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Leveled up Ghulvania to 10 for +1 health, all my teams went +40 to team score for both my full team and any single troop team I made.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

gromdul posted:

I realized that I could record game play on my phone through the Google Play Games app, so I did a thing. If you wait a few minutes it will have some sweet bass drops or something. I sped up the game play so it wasn't so tedious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_j92qA_Hwc

Thanks for this video by the way, I've been struggling to find THE team for KoS, and with most I missed the tanking power of the Treant, coming from TAVB.
I ran Templar/Slime/Valk/KoS at one point, but that was much more awkward to use. I didn't believe that a giant spider team could work with it getting colorblocked, but it works surprisingly well, and is faster and more fun than all the other things I've tried.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 22, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Oenis posted:

Thanks for this video by the way, I've been struggling to find THE team for KoS, and with most I missed the tanking power of the Treant, coming from TAVB.
I ran Templar/Slime/Valk/KoS at one point, but that was much more awkward to use. I didn't believe that a giant spider team could work with it getting colorblocked, but it works surprisingly well, and is faster and more fun than all the other things I've tried.

Gloom Leaf/Slime/KoS/Green Seer was my go-to team a while ago. Fun and effective.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Could I get a guild invite, please? Invite code is Blaquetooth

I was looking for a casual game on Steam, and gave this a try. I am level 28, terrible, and hooked by the crumbs the game gives out.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I sent you an invite to Gem Blossums.

Do you have a mobile device that can download the app? The tribute mechanic (which won't matter to you for a little while) strongly rewards those who can check the app every hour or so over the course of the day, rather than just for a few hours during the evening.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
Anyone have some suggestions for a good defending team? Gobs don't seem to be cutting the mustard lately.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
From personal experience, freezing, true damage and mana drain are strongest on defense, and if anything ever stops me, it's those. In particular, if you've got either Queen Mab, Psion or Moloch build a defense team around them. Units with the empowered trait like Soothsayer and Mercy are also really good defense units, since they're basically almost guaranteed to get a cast off and jump start your other units with mana.

edit: I've also had a really close match against a Zhul'kari team with Spider Queen in front recently, which took me really by surprise. Might be a good budget option. I think the other units were Dark Maiden, Giant Spider and Dokkalfar, but don't quote me on that.

If all else fails, Knight Coronet and things that feed him mana, i.e. Griffon Knight.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 19, 2016

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Grundulum posted:

I sent you an invite to Gem Blossums.

Do you have a mobile device that can download the app? The tribute mechanic (which won't matter to you for a little while) strongly rewards those who can check the app every hour or so over the course of the day, rather than just for a few hours during the evening.

Yeah, I put it on my phone today. Not sure how often I will check it though, but something to do during downtimes I guess.

The guild has been a huge boon though. So many different cards to try now, and level up.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
This, by the way, is why you should take tributes seriously.

:toot:

I have a 3% chance every time I collect tribute of getting 9 or more kingdoms, but this is somehow still just the first double-digit tribute I've ever collected.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I wish there was a script to automatically collect tribute whenever it is available, it feels a little unsatisfying that you're potentially missing out every hour you don't click that home kingdom.

Only 3 Kingdoms left until I've got them all maxed, by the way :v:

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING

Oenis posted:

From personal experience, freezing, true damage and mana drain are strongest on defense, and if anything ever stops me, it's those. In particular, if you've got either Queen Mab, Psion or Moloch build a defense team around them. Units with the empowered trait like Soothsayer and Mercy are also really good defense units, since they're basically almost guaranteed to get a cast off and jump start your other units with mana.

edit: I've also had a really close match against a Zhul'kari team with Spider Queen in front recently, which took me really by surprise. Might be a good budget option. I think the other units were Dark Maiden, Giant Spider and Dokkalfar, but don't quote me on that.

If all else fails, Knight Coronet and things that feed him mana, i.e. Griffon Knight.

I've got a Moloch, Legendary traits are such a huge buy-in (and I'd have to farm for) though.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I pulled a Famine from a 450 gem key pack. He seems pretty good but his ability is very expensive so I guess the best way to use him is to feed him with other troops?

Also his final trait (remove 2 of a random skill from the first enemy troop each turn) seems awesome but good luck ever getting that.

Griefor fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 21, 2016

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
I just started playing this game, what exactly should I be doing starting off and how do i join the goon guild? my invite code is PLEH_1

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

plehsistential posted:

I just started playing this game, what exactly should I be doing starting off and how do i join the goon guild? my invite code is PLEH_1
General advice:

-join a goon guild (someone will add you)
-save gems for dwarven armor (50 gems), then dragon armor (500 gems), then save gems for 50 gem key pulls
-save glory for weekly packs and buying multiple packs in the future
-buy all kingdoms, boost them all to about level 6, then get the magic ones to 10 first
-do quests to unlock classes, most advancement will be from PVP though
-never buy gold, souls, maps, or gold/glory chests
-wreck poo poo

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

plehsistential posted:

Invited you to Gem Boiz.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Has something suddenly changed about defense teams? I used to win at least 70% of the time, and now suddenly since last week I'm losing like 90%. It's really blatantly flipped around.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Krolm posted:

Has something suddenly changed about defense teams? I used to win at least 70% of the time, and now suddenly since last week I'm losing like 90%. It's really blatantly flipped around.

Seems that way for me too but it might just be random bias

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Krolm posted:

Better free prediction for everyone with three options of who to fight, a score estimate and a single troop preview.

It's not perfect, but going in "blind" isn't what it used to be. I still regret it when I fight that guy with two fully traited Queen Mabs when the preview troop is Boar Rider.

I also hate the guy with Jarl Firemantle and Queen Mab fully traited.

Plus side: I grabbed Famine from a glory key. Now I need to get more Runic Earth Traitstones to start the path to being a total jerk who drains all of your stats.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

psivamp posted:

Better free prediction for everyone with three options of who to fight, a score estimate and a single troop preview.

they kinda had that already before the big pvp revamp, and now there's more incentive to play against tough teams rather than doing roulette until you find one you're ok with

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

psivamp posted:

Plus side: I grabbed Famine from a glory key. Now I need to get more Runic Earth Traitstones to start the path to being a total jerk who drains all of your stats.

Holy poo poo I just pulled a Famine, Abhorath, Carnex, Sheggra, 5 purples, and a Celestial trait stone from a 50 gem key pack. I was going to save my gems for event keys, but I got a KoS from glory keys earlier. Its been a good week.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
All my luck with Mythics was used up when I pulled three (3!) Wars last week or the week before. I'm thinking of disenchanting 2 of them just for the souls.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm never disenchanting anything purple or higher ever again. I had several dupes of Epics and Legendaries that I got rid of before they let you ascend stuff. Eventually they will add something higher than Mythic, so I'm just going to save everything ever.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Bandire posted:

I'm never disenchanting anything purple or higher ever again. I had several dupes of Epics and Legendaries that I got rid of before they let you ascend stuff. Eventually they will add something higher than Mythic, so I'm just going to save everything ever.

I dusted two Goblin Kings and two Jarl Firemantles before they put in ascension and have gotten 0 of both since then. :argh:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I probably don't have to espouse the virtues of TAVB here but here is a game that I went on to win without losing any unit.

Obviously that's not a massively OP team I'm up against but it's still 4 fully traited mythic units that I beat easily.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

starkebn posted:

I probably don't have to espouse the virtues of TAVB here but here is a game that I went on to win without losing any unit.

Obviously that's not a massively OP team I'm up against but it's still 4 fully traited mythic units that I beat easily.

I run a pretty similar team: Treant, Sheggra, Valkyrie, Banshee. Has the added benefit of the Sheggra getting 2 health every 4 match and the 100+ critical hits aren't too shabby either!

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Bandire posted:

Yeah I accidentally clicked the sacrifice all extras button rather than the all of selected troop and sacrificed about 300 troops a couple days before they added ascensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Krolm posted:

I run a pretty similar team: Treant, Sheggra, Valkyrie, Banshee. Has the added benefit of the Sheggra getting 2 health every 4 match and the 100+ critical hits aren't too shabby either!

I tried a few games like this, and while it plays a little differently and less 'safe' I think it might be plenty faster and more vicious. I'll play it for a while, thanks.